Options

Missing episode discovery rumours

Comments

• Options
    Rita's KabinRita's Kabin Posts: 36,444
    Forum Member
    adams66 wrote: »
    An entirely reasonable and very sensible suggestion. It would be interesting to perhaps ask PM why he didn't say such things.
    I genuinely can't believe he really wanted the massive sh!tstorm that accompanied the omnirumour.

The usual format is that the guest gets interviewed by the interviewer and then they take questions from the audience.

It's a bit inconceivable that he wouldn't get asked about his actions by someone.

I'll by taking my laptop with me so should be able to post what has been said at lunch (if it's a morning panel) or teatime (if it's an afternoon panel).
  • Options
    DiscoPDiscoP Posts: 5,931
    Forum Member
    An entirely reasonable and very sensible suggestion. It would be interesting to perhaps ask PM why he didn't say such things.
    I genuinely can't believe he really wanted the massive sh!tstorm that accompanied the omnirumour.

I suspect he was quite happy to let the omnirumour spread because it lead to a lot of publicity for him and his company and probably strengthened his negotiations with the BBC if there were any.
  • Options
    chuffnobblerchuffnobbler Posts: 10,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's fascinating that Phil Morris is going to attend a convention. After all the drama and rumour that went on, in his name, he went from "hero" to "zero". The fact that he unearthed two lost stories is almost insignificant compared with all the faff that came after. he could have been cheered and praised to the heavens, but seems to have ruined all that goodwill. It'll be interesting to know the reception he gets, just as much as it'll be interesting to hear what he actually has to say.

Maybe they'll bring on Ian Levine as a surprise guest, and the two of them can slug it out. ;)
  • Options
    adams66adams66 Posts: 3,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DiscoP wrote: »
    I suspect he was quite happy to let the omnirumour spread because it lead to a lot of publicity for him and his company and probably strengthened his negotiations with the BBC if there were any.

Well, yes and no. Publicity for him and his company for sure, but after the initial Wow factor of getting two stories back then he got a heck of a lot of flack too. Mainly because he was clearly being less then reliable when it came to giving straight answers to straight questions.

edit - I see that Chuff has posted something similar. I agree, it will be VERY interesting to hear what he has to say. Looking forward to Rita's Kabin updating us all.
  • Options
    dave_windowsdave_windows Posts: 5,937
    Forum Member
    It's fascinating that Phil Morris is going to attend a convention. After all the drama and rumour that went on, in his name, he went from "hero" to "zero". The fact that he unearthed two lost stories is almost insignificant compared with all the faff that came after. he could have been cheered and praised to the heavens, but seems to have ruined all that goodwill. It'll be interesting to know the reception he gets, just as much as it'll be interesting to hear what he actually has to say.

Maybe they'll bring on Ian Levine as a surprise guest, and the two of them can slug it out. ;)

Ian Levine claims Phil has alot more episodes.
  • Options
    Rita's KabinRita's Kabin Posts: 36,444
    Forum Member

edit - I see that Chuff has posted something similar. I agree, it will be VERY interesting to hear what he has to say. Looking forward to Rita's Kabin updating us all.

I suspect he'll probably only be there for one day.

I'll be arriving in Bristol on Friday afternoon and will pick up the schedule for the weekend when they're available so should be able to let you know whether PM is due on Saturday or Sunday by early evening on Friday 25 September.
  • Options
    be more pacificbe more pacific Posts: 19,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Was this recently? He hasn't tweeted anything for a couple of weeks.

Given Ian's recent history of health problems, his twitter silence is worrying. He may be a bit (or very) disagreeable at times, but he's one of fandom's characters.
  • Options
    tiggerpoohtiggerpooh Posts: 4,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Then why hasn't Phil Morris said anything? :confused: It just seems silly and very out of character to keep this a secret from us. >:(

Anyway, what happened to the announcement that we were supposed to have got a few weeks ago? :confused:
  • Options
    JCRJCR Posts: 24,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tiggerpooh wrote: »
    Then why hasn't Phil Morris said anything? :confused: It just seems silly and very out of character to keep this a secret from us. >:(

Anyway, what happened to the announcement that we were supposed to have got a few weeks ago? :confused:

The most logical reason Morris hasn't said anything is he doesn't have any more episodes. The 90+ rumour was likely being spread by Adrian Rigelsford, Scot Ferre et all believed it because they wanted to believe it, plus Rigelsford was one of the 50 odd people who are facebook friends with Morris and as such had access to photos etc to make the story convincing.

A few weeks ago? You're not talking about a Sammi vid are you? Sammi is a disabled man who believes literally everything people tell him online about this. I'm not criticizing him by saying this; it is what it is.

It wouldn't surprise me if Morris said nothing new at this convention, I've seen Moffat do Q&A's where he's talked a lot and said nothing, although they were still entertaining events. Depends what Morris' purpose for doing the show is, we shall see.

Bumping this thread is pointless.

Adrian Rigelsford wiki biography
  • Options
    RooksRooks Posts: 9,101
    Forum Member
    It's fascinating that Phil Morris is going to attend a convention. After all the drama and rumour that went on, in his name, he went from "hero" to "zero".

See I just don't understand that reaction at all, why do some fans feel he's gone from hero to zero? He's never stated he's got more episodes in public, he's never promised anything so where does the animosity come from (not from you I might add just asking the question generally)? From what I can see, others have claimed he's got more, he's hinted that more will be returned but now no further episodes have been returned he seems to be getting the blame. Others have told us he has 90 episodes and yet we blame him for not living up to the rumours. I'm not sure that's really fair. Now I understand there's clashes between him and others in the fan community and some of the stories have been less than flattering towards him but very few of us have been involved directly with any of this. I truly have no idea how much of the stories are true or not. Other peoples arguments are a private matter between those individuals surely?

But what is true is that he's returned 9 fantastic episodes that I would likely never have seen if not for him. Zero? Definitely not.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    tiggerpooh wrote: »

With respect, why should he? He really doesn't owe us anything. If he has more episodes then they'll be a reason why they haven't seen the light of day yet. If he hasn't, then he hasn't.

Did Morris say he was going to make a statement or is this, once again, statements made by people "in the know"? Don't believe what people are chatting about online, rumours are just rumours and unless Phil Morris or the BBC makes a statement about the missing episodes then treat whatever you hear as gossip not fact.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Was this recently? He hasn't tweeted anything for a couple of weeks.

Given Ian's recent history of health problems, his twitter silence is worrying. He may be a bit (or very) disagreeable at times, but he's one of fandom's characters.

It was a while ago. He told me it over the phone.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Rooks wrote: »
    With respect, why should he? He really doesn't owe us anything. If he has more episodes then they'll be a reason why they haven't seen the light of day yet. If he hasn't, then he hasn't.

Did Morris say he was going to make a statement or is this, once again, statements made by people "in the know"? Don't believe what people are chatting about online, rumours are just rumours and unless Phil Morris or the BBC makes a statement about the missing episodes then treat whatever you hear as gossip not fact.

I honestly wish he would make a statement. When he did that interview when he anounced Web/Enemy im sure he mentioned something about hinting more.

The only thing I found odd is how barring one episode there was 2 complete stories when previous years its been a random episode. Unless they cataloguged stuff properly.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The only thing I found odd is how barring one episode there was 2 complete stories when previous years its been a random episode. Unless they cataloguged stuff properly.

Not odd really. These were finds at TV stations where it's more likely episodes would be stored as part of a story. Most other finds since 1992 have been from collectors.
  • Options
    DiscoPDiscoP Posts: 5,931
    Forum Member
    Rather confusingly the Underwater Menace has gone on pre-order...

http://www.bbcshop.com/drama/doctor-who-the-underwater-menace/invt/bbcdvd3691
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gosh-be-crikey.

Could The Underwater Menace REALLY be about to emerge?

Or could this be one of those pre-release announcements that gets its release date pushed further and further back until it eventually disappears into the long grass?

Either way, am agog. I currently look like this: :o
  • Options
    Isambard BrunelIsambard Brunel Posts: 6,598
    Forum Member
    Perhaps hoping Capaldi's forthcoming underwater episode will raise interest in the Troughton story, especially if they're just looking for en excuse to release whatever they've produced for the disc so far.

In other news, I found the missing Timeflight VHS recently.
  • Options
    saladfingers81saladfingers81 Posts: 11,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Apparently it's a load of old bobbins anyway. So quite why there is such a fuss...One gets the impression it's the thrill of the hunt rather than the prize at the end that so entrances people.
  • Options
    JethrykJethryk Posts: 1,355
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anneke Wills has just announced it on her Facebook page so looks like its happening.

and there this as well.

http://scifibulletin.com/2015/09/01/doctor-whos-underwater-menace-finally-coming-to-dvd/
  • Options
    TheophileTheophile Posts: 2,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apparently it's a load of old bobbins anyway. So quite why there is such a fuss...One gets the impression it's the thrill of the hunt rather than the prize at the end that so entrances people.

Well, when you have paid $2,000 for a collection of Doctor Who, not being able to put the last extant episode into the DVD collection is maddening. Thus, this release will be a completion (hopefully, just for now) for many people.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Underwater Menace is a hoot. Deeply silly, but a hoot nonetheless, and I am very much looking forward to clapping eyes on it.

I didn't know Capaldi is going underwater in the new series! Maybe he'll meet some Atlantean fish people? One can but hope!
  • Options
    KoquillionKoquillion Posts: 1,905
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Theophile wrote: »
    Well, when you have paid $2,000 for a collection of Doctor Who, not being able to put the last extant episode into the DVD collection is maddening. Thus, this release will be a completion (hopefully, just for now) for many people.

You gonna buy series 9 then? :)

Must say, looking forward to taking delivery of my pre-ordered Underwater Menace load of bobbins!! Just wish they would release it next year, what with no series and Capaldi walking into the sunset we could do with some 2016 Who to look forward to!
  • Options
    Boz_LowdownlBoz_Lowdownl Posts: 3,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yes, but the majority of recent Doctor Who has also been a load of bobbins and yet people still get excited by that. Personally, I'm looking forward to UM more than I am S9.
  • Options
    TardisSteveTardisSteve Posts: 8,077
    Forum Member
    the The Underwater Menace DVD artwork is on Anneke Wills webpage

http://www.annekewills.com/shop/dvds/doctor-who-the-underwater-menace-dvd-region-2/
  • Options
    CoalHillJanitorCoalHillJanitor Posts: 15,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    the The Underwater Menace DVD artwork is on Anneke Wills webpage

http://www.annekewills.com/shop/dvds/doctor-who-the-underwater-menace-dvd-region-2/

Nice.

I like The Underwater Menace. It's got a Flash-Gordon-serial quality that appeals to my taste for fine cheese.