Options

How many of you mostly listen to old music?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,754
Forum Member
✭✭✭
By old music I mean 'not now' not like old old :p

I do but sometimes it just doesn't feel the same, and feels a bit sad that it isnt current :(

Anyone else?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,780
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How old is old? I listen to a lot of 80's and 90's. But then a lot of current stuff too.
  • Options
    Brummie Girl Brummie Girl Posts: 22,698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whats your definition of old? I listen to a lot of 80's stuff as I was brought up in that decade but I listen to current stuff as well. What could be old to you might be my era to me depending on how old you are.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,754
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I mean music that isnt now basically, not current :)
  • Options
    gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,625
    Forum Member
    All great music is now music. But very little of now music is great music. And it has ever been thus.
  • Options
    tangsmantangsman Posts: 3,661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mostly 70's,80's & 90's Rock and Pop.
    Very little from the past decade as most of it is crap.
    Dislike US RnB, US Rap, US Hip-Hop & all the X Factor shite.
    No time for boy/girl bands either.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,931
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Me me me! All I listen to is old music.

I listen to loads of old jazz standards, torch songs from many, MANY years ago.
    Also love 80's music! Tis awesome!!!!:D
    90's RNB is wonderful to. By far my favourite decade for that genre of music.

At the moment though my main love is old french music. In particular chanson style songs. Ive recently discovered an incredible singer called Dalida http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqwDxOftKcM&feature=channel_page
    *sigh* If only music was like that today:(

I really can't stand most music today. The chart stuff anyway I find horrid. It's fun for me though discovering all this wonderful old music.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Most of the music I listen to is from 1978-1998 and then things that are in the charts nowadays :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    me. i felt so sad til i just thought i can listen to any song i like and at least 'old' music cant suffer overkill
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,709
    Forum Member
    I tend to listen to mostly pre-90s stuff, but some 90s artists.
    Very very little from this last decade is worth a second listen.
    60s/70s by far the best times for music.
  • Options
    onthewoodonthewood Posts: 1,015
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tangsman wrote: »
    Mostly 70's,80's & 90's Rock and Pop.
    Very little from the past decade as most of it is crap.
    Dislike US RnB, US Rap, US Hip-Hop & all the X Factor shite.
    No time for boy/girl bands either.

Pretty similar to me. I like alot of 60's stuff too.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you look at the list of Number 1's from the 60s, 70s and 80s it's just brilliant song after brilliant song. This decade pales in comparision, especially the last half.
  • Options
    SubrosaSubrosa Posts: 3,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dunno if it counts as old but two of the albums I listen to most at the moment came out in 2001 (Jimmy Eat World) and 2002 (Finch).

But the other one I listen to all the time came out last year.

But then there's other things I listen to like Joy Division and the Cure and the Smiths!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 40,102
    Forum Member
    Old as in 1990s to mid 2000s. I am finding it very difficult to latch on to a lot of modern music, but I am loving the new stuff from a few bands/acts such as Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Bat For Lashes, Peaches and fingers crossed... Skunk Anansie.

Still, I'm finding it really hard to broaden my music collection at the moment and I'm looking at the past for inspiration.

However, the majority of stuff I listen to is early 90s - mid 00s; Björk, Skunk Anansie, Sigur Rós (older stuff is a lot better), Goldfrapp, Massive Attack, amongst others. All those bands are still around and I do listen to their current stuff, though.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,601
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I listen to lots of 50s-80s mostly American soul music as well as some Jamaican ska and reggae. So I listen to lots of Motown, James Brown, Sam Cooke, Aretha Franklin, The Ronettes etc. as well as Trojan ska, Desmond Dekker and Bob Marley, as well as The Specials. However, I do like modern artists who reflect this kind of music like Amy Winehouse and Lauryn Hill. And I'm not averse to some NOW music as well like Beyonce and Lady GaGa.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Chubbler wrote: »
    If you look at the list of Number 1's from the 60s, 70s and 80s it's just brilliant song after brilliant song. This decade pales in comparision, especially the last half.

Noooooooo!!!! Nostalgia is fine but thats all it is! Nineties and Noughties music stands side-by-side with anything from the 60s, 70s and 80s.

Enjoy it all! There's summat there for everyone but no way can you say the last twenty years of music is somehow inferior to wots gone before.

Random sample: Thompson Twins (thats the 80s hairspray world sorted), Gary Glitter (you know thats the 70s thru and thru) or err Status Quo (oh yeah - check out them in the 60s - very very weird!) :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bornslippy wrote: »
    Noooooooo!!!! Nostalgia is fine but thats all it is! Nineties and Noughties music stands side-by-side with anything from the 60s, 70s and 80s.

Enjoy it all! There's summat there for everyone but no way can you say the last twenty years of music is somehow inferior to wots gone before.

Random sample: Thompson Twins (thats the 80s hairspray world sorted), Gary Glitter (you know thats the 70s thru and thru) or err Status Quo (oh yeah - check out them in the 60s - very very weird!) :p

Well I'm only 16 so it's not really nostalgia, but when I look at all the number ones of a year from the 70s and 80s there seems to be hardly any duds, although I suppose what you can class as duds varies from person to person. I just found it to be a constant stream of classics.

I do like music from the 00s, just not the stuff that is in the Top 10 mostly. And yeah, there was some pretty terrifying artists around in the 60s-80s especially :eek:
  • Options
    Louise-annLouise-ann Posts: 1,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chubbler wrote: »
    I love those decades of music, so much more than whats about today

I'm 19 as well
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,284
    Forum Member
    Lots. Mostly from the 90's or early 00's. I don't listen to many bands that are around right now- at least not ones that havn't already been around for years anyway.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gomezz wrote: »
    All great music is now music. But very little of now music is great music. And it has ever been thus.

Exactly right. I just collect what I like, whether from 1960 or now.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 174
    Forum Member
    I mostly only listen to old music.
    I'm a very late bloomer at times, I only usually like something when it's passe.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,355
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Most of the music I listen to is either from the early 90's (Cocteau Twins, Suede, Slowdive) or from the current 'alternative' scene (and by current I mean within the last five to ten years or so). However, I'm not averse to older music - I'm also a fan of Simon & Garfunkel, Scott Walker, Nancy & Lee etc. How I look at it - when it comes to beauty, age doesn't matter one bit. However, I have on occasion felt a little melancholic listening to older music because, being a really keen gig-goer, it is saddening to think that I won't ever be able to experience certain bands live...
  • Options
    PitmanPitman Posts: 28,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I listen to a lot of sixties stuff, especially the late sixties, I think that five years was the best in history, so many classic albums.

also the late 70s is another great perid for me, all the post-punk stuff and crossover pop.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24,724
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I occasionally listen to the charts and it all seems to merge into one song.

The mid-late 70s for me with 60's/early 70's soul and funk

Just lately, I have taken a liking to mid 90s house/dance music
  • Options
    musicdudemusicdude Posts: 8,939
    Forum Member
    Love 90's music cos it was the decade i was born

I only listen to it once in a while. I suppose this decade's music has been more apart of my life
  • Options
    martinamerlotmartinamerlot Posts: 3,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's more to music than what was or is in the charts. I listen to various artists/bands from the 1960s to date-some relatively popular but mostly obscure acts. I tend to favour music that's a bit more experimental. I've also been listening to more and more classical music. Last.fm has been a bit of a godsend. :)

I couldn't really tell you who's popular at the moment but I'd bet that most of them won't be remembered in 20 years time. :D