• Options
    Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    YakLouis wrote: »
    The Human body is similar to a herbivore also

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sH-hs2v-UjI

Watch this video

I got to 'Vegetarian society of Hawaii'.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    leaby wrote: »
    I think eating meat served our ancestors well when getting the calories necessary for survival was much more difficult. However, just because we CAN eat omnivorously, it doesn't automatically make us omnivores. Carnivorous animals, for example, are built with a digestive system that can handle cholesterol without negative consequences. Humans don't have this pleasure. Moreover, we do have to cook our meat before we eat it, or risk further health implications.

The Japanese have very little white or red meat in their diet (consisting mainly of fish, vegetables and pulses) and they have the longest life expectancy (prior to severe illness).

Meat doesn't equal cholesterol. There are plenty of low cholesterol meat sources out there. I eat a diet high in meat, yet I have low cholesterol levels.
  • Options
    jabegyjabegy Posts: 6,201
    Forum Member
    Humans are omnivorous, which means we are 'designed' (evolved might be a better word) to eat both meat and veg. If you can get all the nutrition you need by being vegetarian then that's ok, personally I enjoy eating meat.

p.s. and fish
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I got to 'Vegetarian society of Hawaii'.

It was nicely researched and presented by an MD from the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine - a much respected organisation (and much feared by the likes of McDonald's) - so it's a shame that you dismissed it so quickly.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,482
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Welsh-lad wrote: »
    Fruits are one of the worst things, and deceptive because they are perceived to be healthy.

For our ancestors, fruit would have been a rare thing, and entirely seasonal.

People stuff themselves with peaches, bananas, grapes etc and are surprised they are not losing weight. Well there's heaps of sugar in those fruits; they do have glycaemic load, they will trigger an insulin response, and they will casue the body to store the sugar as fat. Simple.

Fruits are healthy, in a balanced diet with controlled calories, the sugars from fruits won't have a massive impact on insulin resistance, especially if eaten with or shortly after a meal.

Just like anything, eat too much of it and it will cause weight gain and/or worse, but you can't single out a food source and call it unhealthy on that basis.

Balance is key to optimal health.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 112
    Forum Member
    If people understood to rules of eating clean (fruit and veg) and the rules of detoxification maybe we would have more of an understanding of ourselves and more conciousness.

McDonalds marketing Campaign is one big Psy-Op and its so blatant. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTXoK_IJhL8

My reasons why i dislike McDonalds.

1. They target children that know nothing about the chemicals in the food that cause cancer.
    2. The parents are also attacked because they would feel "Guilty" for not feeding them the cancer causing food when the child reacts to the bright red and yellow logo.
    3. Most McDonalds are targeted near schools where they eat everyday thinking they are getting real nutrition.
    4 "Fast-Food" is a friendlier name for "Junk-Food"
    5. Their own figures show that a "quarter-pounder" is 48% water. The high sugar and sodium content develops a kind of addiction.
    6. Research has shown that a large proportion of people who use fast-food places do so because they are there - not because they particularly like the food or feel hungry.

**** YOU MCDONALDS
  • Options
    epicurianepicurian Posts: 19,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is literally incredible.

So, all of us meat-eaters are toxic, acidic, and apparently walking around with intestinal obstructions, what with all that undigested meat in our colons.

Given the severity of those conditions, it's amazing any of us are still walking around.

And fwiw, OP, it's quite possible to be a meat-eater without patronising McDonalds.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    epicurian wrote: »
    This is literally incredible.

So, all of us meat-eaters are toxic, acidic, and apparently walking around with intestinal obstructions, what with all that undigested meat in our colons.

Given the severity of those conditions, it's amazing any of us are still walking around.

And fwiw, OP, it's quite possible to be a meat-eater without patronising McDonalds.

So cancer rates and auto-immune disorders (Most popular disease in America) isn't increasing?
  • Options
    whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So cancer rates and auto-immune disorders (Most popular disease in America) isn't increasing?

So that is purely down to eating meat?

Are you claiming vegetarians dont get cancer? I've heard it all now!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Meat doesn't equal cholesterol. There are plenty of low cholesterol meat sources out there. I eat a diet high in meat, yet I have low cholesterol levels.

Low cholesterol is still cholesterol though, and we only get it from eating meat and other animal products. My point was that our digestive systems aren't designed to cope with it, whereas full-on carnivores' ones are.
  • Options
    njpnjp Posts: 27,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Low cholesterol is still cholesterol though, and we only get it from eating meat and other animal products. My point was that our digestive systems aren't designed to cope with it, whereas full-on carnivores' ones are.
    Our digestive systems aren't designed at all. I would expect them to have co-evolved with our diet. I don't think we could now survive on the diet of our ancient ancestors, which included grasses and tree bark.
  • Options
    CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,870
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Scavengers before hunters.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

That is simply not true. First of all, as already stated several times, our bodies are not "designed". Secondly, our bodies need some cholesterol just to function properly and live. Diet, and most certainly not just animal products, contributes to total cholesterol levels (of which there are three main types) but most cholesterol is produced within your own body. Even if you eat foods without cholesterol, the carbs, fats and proteins will all eventually break down releasing carbon, which your liver turns into cholesterol. There are dozens of genetic variants linked to blood lipid levels- some people are predisposed to high cholesterol, which is why no matter what they do, they still need medication. Also, there is actual scientific evidence that says eating a low carbohydrate (Atkins type) diet is quite effective at improving HDL (good cholesterol) and triglyceride levels long-term.

I honestly couldn't care less if people want to live on fruit and vegetables alone- and if they feel better for it, and are healthy, then more power to them. However (just like low carb diets) fruitarianism, vegetarianism, vegan, isn't for everyone, and no amount of pseudo-science is going to convince me to stop eating animal products.
  • Options
    Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,925
    Forum Member
    dmuk wrote: »
    Fruits are healthy, in a balanced diet with controlled calories, the sugars from fruits won't have a massive impact on insulin resistance, especially if eaten with or shortly after a meal.

I would certainly agree with that, however that is not the impression made on a great number of people.

The government, health bodies and... well nearly everyone, has been nagging on for decades now about the 'low-fat' diet. They even tried to engineer our foods, making it highly processed in order to decrease saturated fat.
    And what did we end up with? Trans-fats; which are now actually classed as dangerous.

Food-manufacturers are so obsessed with low-fat that they pump their foods full of sugar (or 'fructose syrup' as it is so euphemistically called).

People have abandoned fats - which are actaully nutritionally necessary and good fuel. It also satisfies hunger wonderfully.

And instead they eat fruits, the 'healthy' option.
    Loads and loads of sugar-ridden fruit.

There has to be a re-think, and a reassessment of the amount of carbohydrate we eat,
  • Options
    Forum Member
    njp wrote: »
    Our digestive systems aren't designed at all. I would expect them to have co-evolved with our diet. I don't think we could now survive on the diet of our ancient ancestors, which included grasses and tree bark.

Wheatgrass

It is a whole meal and a complete protein with about 30 enzymes and is approximately 70% crude chlorophyll. Wheatgrass is also an excellent source of calcium, iron, magnesium, phosphorus, potassium, sodium, sulphur, cobalt, and zinc.

Many have lost many diseases just drinking wheatgrass juice. But a hospital that provides a menu to cancer patients of cheese, meat and apatite pills is healthy i guess.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    So that is purely down to eating meat?

Are you claiming vegetarians dont get cancer? I've heard it all now!

Vegetarians eat Cooked food.

Vegans dont. Cooking strips food of nutrients that enable proper functioning of the cells in the body. Me personally i cant function as great eating a cooked meal. Its about conciousness of the body eating alive food from the soil.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Welsh-lad wrote: »
    I would certainly agree with that, however that is not the impression made on a great number of people.

The government, health bodies and... well nearly everyone, has been nagging on for decades now about the 'low-fat' diet. They even tried to engineer our foods, making it highly processed in order to decrease saturated fat.
    And what did we end up with? Trans-fats; which are now actually classed as dangerous.

Food-manufacturers are so obsessed with low-fat that they pump their foods full of sugar (or 'fructose syrup' as it is so euphemistically called).

People have abandoned fats - which are actaully nutritionally necessary and good fuel. It also satisfies hunger wonderfully.

And instead they eat fruits, the 'healthy' option.
    Loads and loads of sugar-ridden fruit.

There has to be a re-think, and a reassessment of the amount of carbohydrate we eat,

Would you rather get carbs from bananas or bread (Which contains gluten known to cause Auto Immune Disorders and cause inflammation in your gut)?

£1 for 60 bananas or £1 for bread?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Vegetarians eat Cooked food.

Vegans dont. Cooking strips food of nutrients that enable proper functioning of the cells in the body. Me personally i cant function as great eating a cooked meal. Its about conciousness of the body eating alive food from the soil.

A vegan is someone that abstains from eating animal products - they can still eat cooked food, though there are a large portion of raw diet vegans that choose not to.
    That is simply not true. First of all, as already stated several times, our bodies are not "designed". Secondly, our bodies need some cholesterol just to function properly and live. Diet, and most certainly not just animal products, contributes to total cholesterol levels (of which there are three main types) but most cholesterol is produced within your own body. Even if you eat foods without cholesterol, the carbs, fats and proteins will all eventually break down releasing carbon, which your liver turns into cholesterol. There are dozens of genetic variants linked to blood lipid levels- some people are predisposed to high cholesterol, which is why no matter what they do, they still need medication. Also, there is actual scientific evidence that says eating a low carbohydrate (Atkins type) diet is quite effective at improving HDL (good cholesterol) and triglyceride levels long-term.

I honestly couldn't care less if people want to live on fruit and vegetables alone- and if they feel better for it, and are healthy, then more power to them. However (just like low carb diets) fruitarianism, vegetarianism, vegan, isn't for everyone, and no amount of pseudo-science is going to convince me to stop eating animal products.

I think I could've argued that a little better. I agree that we aren't "designed" for anything that it's not a good choice of words, I was thread title dropping to keep my response relevant (which I read as "well equipped" rather than "designed").

It is true that dietary cholesterol only comes from animal products, and this does affect the amount of LDL that the body produces (this, as you say, can vary depending on the person). This is not a problem for carnivores, which have intestines well equipped to dispose of fatty wastes high in cholesterol. It isn't my argument that a human simply cannot eat meat and be healthy, but I do think it serves as evidence that the human body isn't the best vessel in the world for meat consumption.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Try eating a large portion of chips everyday and tell me your cholesterol levels wont rise.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Would you rather get carbs from bananas or bread (Which contains gluten known to cause Auto Immune Disorders and cause inflammation in your gut)?

£1 for 60 bananas or £1 for bread?

Where can you buy 60 bananas for a pound and dont you care about the environment?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wheatgrass

It is a whole meal and a complete protein with about 30 enzymes and is approximately 70% crude chlorophyll. Wheatgrass is also an excellent source of calcium, iron, magnesium, phosphorus, potassium, sodium, sulphur, cobalt, and zinc.

Many have lost many diseases just drinking wheatgrass juice. But a hospital that provides a menu to cancer patients of cheese, meat and apatite pills is healthy i guess.

Many have lost diseases? Such as?

Did you know that wheatgrass needs to be juiced because it is indigestible for humans, unlike cud chewing cows who have multiple stomachs to do the job?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A vegan is someone that abstains from eating animal products - they can still eat cooked food, though there are a large portion of raw diet vegans that choose not to.

I think I could've argued that a little better. I agree that we aren't "designed" for anything that it's not a good choice of words, I was thread title dropping to keep my response relevant (which I read as "well equipped" rather than "designed").

It is true that dietary cholesterol only comes from animal products, and this does affect the amount of LDL that the body produces (this, as you say, can vary depending on the person). This is not a problem for carnivores, which have intestines well equipped to dispose of fatty wastes high in cholesterol. It isn't my argument that a human simply cannot eat meat and be healthy, but I do think it serves as evidence that the human body isn't the best vessel in the world for meat consumption.

Dietary cholesterol accounts for a small portion of our total lipid profile. The vast majority is manufactured by our own bodies, and influenced by what we eat, which very much includes non-animal products.
  • Options
    njpnjp Posts: 27,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Where can you buy 60 bananas for a pound and dont you care about the environment?
    I was wondering that.
    epicurian wrote: »
    Did you know that wheatgrass needs to be juiced because it is indigestible for humans, unlike cud chewing cows who have multiple stomachs to do the job?
    He's advocating processed food!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Ive spoke to people in Raw food restaurants that have told me they have witnessed Wheatgrass has cured AIDS/HIV, Cancer, Tumours, Diabetes and probably way more to mention. Look on google for yourself.

If I drink Milk i can only do 20 press ups and get tired. With Wheatgrass i can do 50 - 60 press ups and repeat it 10 mins later. Its the best food for me on the planet.

If eating cheese, meat and bread works for you then go for it. I just dont want heart problems in the future and the doctor telling me i must eat fruits and vegetables to help rid the disease. I want to be ahead of my time at the age i am at.
  • Options
    Forum Member

i bought them from the market. The bananas gave me alot of energy and i felt great. Id rather buy that then white bread from a shop/supermarket which really isnt white bread its bleached.