Sky+ will not switch on or respond in any way

InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Yesterday evening the Sky+ was working fine. When I went to bed it was recording from a series link, the power light was red. This morning the power light is red, it does not respond to the remote control and pushing the power button does nothing. Have switched off at mains for over an hour, switched back on and no improvement. Red light flashes intermittently.

Anyone know an easy fix? Don't want to lose the recorded programmes (about 18% disk space free so many shows to watch). It's a Thomson 160 box, about 5 or 6 years old I think.

Comments

• sodafountainsodafountain Posts: 16,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not sure if a software update might fix it (if it allows one), but no harm in trying (doesn't delete anything).

Remove power, hold down BACKUP on Sky box (not remote), then put power back on, and keep hold of BACKUP button until all lights flash (and screen should say updating software).
  • InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not sure if a software update might fix it (if it allows one), but no harm in trying (doesn't delete anything).

Remove power, hold down BACKUP on Sky box (not remote), then put power back on, and keep hold of BACKUP button until all lights flash (and screen should say updating software).

Doesn't seem to work. Held down Backup button, switched on mains - nothing happens.
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,460
    Forum Member
    If it's the later Anytime Thomson Sky+ box, it's a VERY, VERY common 'fault'.

It's presumably corruption of the HDD, and can usually be cured by reformatting the HDD, which wipes all your recordings.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It's presumably corruption of the HDD, and can usually be cured by reformatting the HDD, which wipes all your recordings.

Would using Copy+ to copy the contents off, then put them back on help?

Not sure if Copy+ is clever enough to ignore the corruption and put the drive back to how it sohuld be.
  • HANHAM97HANHAM97 Posts: 345
    Forum Member

Can you advise me how to formatt the 'Sky' HD
    Thank you.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

AFAIK I've had the box since 2006. Maybe even 2005. So it's not had a bad innings. It's just annoying that I've saved a lot of programmes to watch over the summer and I doubt that they will be repeated soon so I'd have to buy the DVDs.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Inkblot wrote: »
    AFAIK I've had the box since 2006. Maybe even 2005. So it's not had a bad innings. It's just annoying that I've saved a lot of programmes to watch over the summer and I doubt that they will be repeated soon so I'd have to buy the DVDs.

You could try this - http://www.skycopyplus.co.uk/
    Forum Member
    HANHAM97 wrote: »
    Can you advise me how to formatt the 'Sky' HD
    Thank you.

Hold down the outside two buttons on the front of the box while you plug the mains in, continue to hold them in until the circle of LED's lights up. Then press 'select' on the front to start it formatting, the LED's will circle backwards during this time.

Once finished it will reboot, and hopefully work OK.
  • HANHAM97HANHAM97 Posts: 345
    Forum Member
    Just fine,thank you.
  • ROBERT129ROBERT129 Posts: 168
    Forum Member
    it's a commoon problem with thomson boxes, i had the problem but after several restarts box will die, it's the psu, which is the power suppy unit, you can get them fixed for about 30quid, you may be ok for a while but i think it will happen again, maybe time to upgrade box!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ROBERT129 wrote: »
    it's a commoon problem with thomson boxes, i had the problem but after several restarts box will die, it's the psu, which is the power suppy unit, you can get them fixed for about 30quid, you may be ok for a while but i think it will happen again, maybe time to upgrade box!

Yes, I've had to bite the bullet and order an HD box. The Sky tech on the phone talked me through pushing various combinations of buttons without success and the consensus was that it was highly probable that even if it could be brought back from the dead I'd lose all my recordings. So sadly I've had to accept that a new box is the best solution.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 646
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As Robert said, it will be the power supply. I've fixed 3 Thomson boxes. They used a faulty batch of components, over time they fail, they start to cause breakups on some of the +1 channels, then finally they go.

Satcure and others do replacement kits (on ebay) - for anyone with a soldering iron and electrical knowledge it's easy to fix, worth doing, and you'd still have your recordings.
    Forum Member
    As Robert said, it will be the power supply. I've fixed 3 Thomson boxes. They used a faulty batch of components, over time they fail, they start to cause breakups on some of the +1 channels, then finally they go.

Satcure and others do replacement kits (on ebay) - for anyone with a soldering iron and electrical knowledge it's easy to fix, worth doing, and you'd still have your recordings.

The lower current, and thus lower operating temperature, of the Sky+ box means it's rarely a problem - I've seen LOT'S of faulty and swollen capacitors in the Sky+ boxes, but in every single case fitting an upgraded PSU hasn't cured it. In each case the HDD was faulty - possibly damaged by the faulty PSU? (although I've found no evidence of that).

But it sounds like the OP's box is the later Thomson?, and that doesn't have the capacitor problem - but as I said earlier, it's VERY, VERY prone to needing the HDD reformatting, which it doesn't sound like he's tried?.
  • MartinPickeringMartinPickering Posts: 3,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But it sounds like the OP's box is the later Thomson?, and that doesn't have the capacitor problem

Unfortunately, it does. Although the capacitors in the later versions appeared to be slightly better, we've still seen failures. Although the PSU in the Sky+ box is less stressed than in the HD box, we've still seen failures.

Basically, Thomson = unreliable capacitors. Replacing them is essential to get a reliable box and it will often allow existing recordings to be played, but not always.

If you want to be reasonably sure that capacitors will fix the problem, it's possible to remove the HDD, connect it to a PC and carry out a test to make sure the data is intact. You need to ask yourself how valuable those recordings are.
    Forum Member
    Unfortunately, it does. Although the capacitors in the later versions appeared to be slightly better, we've still seen failures. Although the PSU in the Sky+ box is less stressed than in the HD box, we've still seen failures.

As I said, I've not seen any so far where replacing the PSU cured anything (and the old PSU works perfectly in another box).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But it sounds like the OP's box is the later Thomson?, and that doesn't have the capacitor problem - but as I said earlier, it's VERY, VERY prone to needing the HDD reformatting, which it doesn't sound like he's tried?.

The Sky rep told me my box was from 2005 according to their records.

He told me to switch off the mains power and then switch back on whilst holding down various buttons, as I understand it to force a software download or to reformat the disk. Neither worked - the red light stayed on and nothing else happened.
    Forum Member
    The Sky rep told me my box was from 2005 according to their records.

Does it have Anytime on it?, if so it's the last Sky+ series.

He told me to switch off the mains power and then switch back on whilst holding down various buttons, as I understand it to force a software download or to reformat the disk. Neither worked - the red light stayed on and nothing else happened.

How long did you hold the buttons down for? - they MUST be held down continually, for perhaps 30 seconds or more. The slightest 'blip' on them and it won't work.
  • soup_dragonsoup_dragon Posts: 454
    Forum Member
    Hi all

Sorry for the hijack........

I've got the same problem on an old plain Grundig Sky box. Just a plain old box no pvr capability.
    I try to turn it on and the red power button just blinks and nothing happens. At the moment it's upstairs gathering dust and have a spare freeview box in it's place but if the sky box can be revived I'd be happier :)

Thanks in advance for any help.

Cheers Tom
    Forum Member
    Hi all

Sorry for the hijack........

I've got the same problem on an old plain Grundig Sky box. Just a plain old box no pvr capability.
    I try to turn it on and the red power button just blinks and nothing happens. At the moment it's upstairs gathering dust and have a spare freeview box in it's place but if the sky box can be revived I'd be happier :)

First off check the PSU capacitors, see if any have bulging tops.
    Forum Member
    Hi Nigel

Thanks for the reply.

I won't be able to check them for a couple of days though. If they're bulging, what is the next step? Replacement?

Cheers Tom
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does it have Anytime on it?, if so it's the last Sky+ series.

How long did you hold the buttons down for? - they MUST be held down continually, for perhaps 30 seconds or more. The slightest 'blip' on them and it won't work.

No, it doesn't have Anytime.

I held down the buttons for over a minute at a time. All that happened was that the red power light flickered from time to time.
    Forum Member
    No, it doesn't have Anytime.

In that case it's an older model, and most probably requires both the PSU capacitors replacing, and the HDD replacing. In my experience of those models I've never found one yet stuck on standby like yours that was cured by doing just the PSU, in every single case replacing just the HDD cured them. Although I wouldn't return them without replacing the capacitors, because as I said I suspect it's those that killed the HDD.

But in any case, it's extremely likely all recordings are already lost.
    Forum Member
    Hi Nigel

Thanks for the reply.

I won't be able to check them for a couple of days though. If they're bulging, what is the next step? Replacement?

Cheers Tom

Yes, you can get a kit of the required parts from Satcure, don't go for the cheaper ones off Ebay, they don't provide the same high quality ones as Satcure.
    Forum Member
    Yes, you can get a kit of the required parts from Satcure, don't go for the cheaper ones off Ebay, they don't provide the same high quality ones as Satcure.

Ok, thanks for the info.

Cheers Tom