xp95 wrote: »
    But kids back then were different, much, much different! :rolleyes:

As were parents.
  • Options
    John RobinsonJohn Robinson Posts: 2,718
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dearmrman wrote: »
    And those kids are now parents of this generation...so what went wrong?

The 1960s.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Michelle32 wrote: »
    Must admit the remedies on Educating Yorkshire appeared to work.

What? Giving in to them?

Children need to learn discipline. They need to get used to it before they can become responsible adults.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Spouthouse wrote: »
    I agree that we have to be cautious not to exaggerate the level of poor behaviour in schools. After all, most children, I believe, are no different from previous generations. However, anybody who teaches or manages in schools currently will tell you that it really is a creeping problem. As an example, I was at a meeting of local Heads and Deputies last week where we were discussing the growing problem of violence and aggression among reception children. There wasn't a single school who hadn't recently had teachers punched, kicked or bitten by 4 or 5 year olds. I am fairly certain that wouldn't have been the case 20 or 30 years ago.

Indeed. I have witnessed those very changes (although only for 15 years as a teacher). I do, however, remember things as they were when I was at school in the 1950s and early 1960s.
  • Options
    MadMoo40MadMoo40 Posts: 1,848
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shmisk wrote: »
    I think it's more awareness then more people with ADHD- I know adults who have been diagnosed I. Recent years and they were kids in the 70s with no media saturation. Anyways the ADHD brain is diagnosable on scan so nothing to do with consoles etc

However no thread on poor behaviour exists on here without a mention of ADHD

I will- yet again- remind that misbehaviour is not in the diagnostic criteria of ADHD.

Just jumping off your post, not disagreeing at all!

My son is on medication for ADHD. However, his diagnosis is for ADD. He doesn't have any behavioural problems. However he does a few periods of aggressive behaviour and occasional impulsive behaviour - where he admits that he can't stop himself from doing things he knows he shouldn't do. The consultant says its a trait of ADHD. The medication has been brilliant for him. Without it, he could barely concentrate for long enough to get a single sentence written down, in 30 or 40 minutes. Often it would take him half an hour to copy the date off the board.

Most of his books were filled with sentences like "***** had to miss PE to get this work finished" or "***** missed play time but still didn't get his work done", or even "despite missing free choice time, ****** still didn't get his work completed".

No wonder children misbehave or play up when they are constantly punished for being unable to do the work, or unable to keep up with other children.

He can't concentrate, he can't help it. He is also on the autistic spectrum, so would find it hard to concentrate if the routine had changed, or aspects of the classroom were different to normal.

With the medication, he is able to produce more work, to keep his concentration on the teacher, and to spend a lot less time looking around the room or appearing to be day dreaming. The medication works, which tells me that there is a medical reason for the behaviour which was previously put down to him being "not bothered".

It bothers me when people just assume that an ADHD diagnosis is simply bad behaviour.
  • Options
    Elle94Elle94 Posts: 932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The whole system in this country needs a massive shake up. I think we should take a leaf out of the way Scandinavian countries approach education. We pack off our kids to school far too early in this country. Our kids may read and write earlier but they leave school at a much lower level and suffer with more behavioral issues along the way.

When I worked at a school we had an exchange visit from a shook in Sweden. The teacher said they have similar behaviour problems.

I do agree we expect too much from children at too young an age.
  • Options
    rupert_pupkinrupert_pupkin Posts: 3,975
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kids are kids, they cause trouble and behave badly because they want to enjoy themselves and not act like sensible adults too early. Teachers attitudes play a major part in it, I was reasonably well behaved for the teachers I respected and those that treated me like a human being, I made life hell for the ones who didn't
  • Options
    dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To be honest I am not surprised children are the way they are, considering how they seem to be demonised by the population. They can't do right for wrong, I won't put the blame on parents (some maybe), the bigger problem is the society we live in and that is each and everyone of us, so before criticising others, criticise yourselves first.
  • Options
    shmiskshmisk Posts: 7,963
    Forum Member
    MadMoo40 wrote: »
    Just jumping off your post, not disagreeing at all!

My son is on medication for ADHD. However, his diagnosis is for ADD. He doesn't have any behavioural problems. However he does a few periods of aggressive behaviour and occasional impulsive behaviour - where he admits that he can't stop himself from doing things he knows he shouldn't do. The consultant says its a trait of ADHD. The medication has been brilliant for him. Without it, he could barely concentrate for long enough to get a single sentence written down, in 30 or 40 minutes. Often it would take him half an hour to copy the date off the board.

Most of his books were filled with sentences like "***** had to miss PE to get this work finished" or "***** missed play time but still didn't get his work done", or even "despite missing free choice time, ****** still didn't get his work completed".

No wonder children misbehave or play up when they are constantly punished for being unable to do the work, or unable to keep up with other children.

He can't concentrate, he can't help it. He is also on the autistic spectrum, so would find it hard to concentrate if the routine had changed, or aspects of the classroom were different to normal.

With the medication, he is able to produce more work, to keep his concentration on the teacher, and to spend a lot less time looking around the room or appearing to be day dreaming. The medication works, which tells me that there is a medical reason for the behaviour which was previously put down to him being "not bothered".

It bothers me when people just assume that an ADHD diagnosis is simply bad behaviour.

One of my sons diagnosis is ADHD- he isn't badly behaved either

I suggest seeing your senco about him missing play etc as before my son went to special school we had that problem and according to the paediatrician for an ADHD child half an hour doing homework is the equivalent if a non ADHD child doing 3 hours - when my son was kept in I went to see the head and she stopped that happening- as it wasn't his fault
  • Options
    PsychosisPsychosis Posts: 18,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The flip side to that is that when they get to doing GCSEs, they will have to complete a set amount of work in a set way in a set period of time and if it's not done, it can't be modified or just dropped. He or she will have to spend his own time doing it. And I have some Y11 students who are incredibly frustrated. They want to achieve and they're asking me why NOW they're being kept in to complete work when they never were before.
  • Options
    Slarti BartfastSlarti Bartfast Posts: 6,607
    Forum Member
    Probably nothing..poor behaviour at school is nothing new, it has always existed, the population has grown and reporting of these things is now more widely reported, but it probably isn't any worse.

To blame parents is an easy cop out, the vast majority will do a very good job, it will be the few that always make the headlines.

Surely we're only blaming the ones who aren't doing a good job, which is hardly a cop out.
  • Options
    MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    just issue teachers with a pump action shotgun and rock salt ammo, i'm sure even the worst scrote will find the sound of a cartridge being chambered off putting never mind when he gets a barrel full of the salt, won't take long for discipline to be restored especially with the head teacher patrolling with proper live ammo and permission to use it
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Surely we're only blaming the ones who aren't doing a good job, which is hardly a cop out.

Trouble is though. hardly anyone is praising the good parents, it is always said it is the parents fault, true in some circumstances it is, but that will be the minority, not the majority of parents.
  • Options
    Slarti BartfastSlarti Bartfast Posts: 6,607
    Forum Member
    Trouble is though. hardly anyone is praising the good parents, it is always said it is the parents fault, true in some circumstances it is, but that will be the minority, not the majority of parents.

That's because the thread topic is about bad behaviour, not good behaviour, which lends itself to a discussion of bad parenting, not good parenting. And unless someone claims that it is the majority of parents who are bad I really don't think it's necessary to keep pointing out that it's the minority.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,899
    Forum Member
    But sometimes its not just the children, its also the Teachers who tend to pick on the Students and bully them hence why they behave in an unruly way.
  • Options
    James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    Ramo1234 wrote: »
    But sometimes its not just the children, its also the Teachers who tend to pick on the Students and bully them hence why they behave in an unruly way.

We had a teacher like that was a complete and utter bitch to everybody.

I have some of my former teachers on FB now and they have told me the other teachers hated her more than the students did and she was a bitch and bully to them to.

As one of them said it's no wonder she never got married as nobody would put up with her
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's because the thread topic is about bad behaviour, not good behaviour, which lends itself to a discussion of bad parenting, not good parenting. And unless someone claims that it is the majority of parents who are bad I really don't think it's necessary to keep pointing out that it's the minority.

Fair point, but bad behaviour isn't always down to bad parenting either, and probably in most cases isn't.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    We had a teacher like that was a complete and utter bitch to everybody.

I have some of my former teachers on FB now and they have told me the other teachers hated her more than the students did and she was a bitch and bully to them to.

As one of them said it's no wonder she never got married as nobody would put up with her

LOOL :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I know one girl that got permanently excluded from her school because she slapped the teacher across the face.
    Also another student also grabbed the teacher by the neck and put her against the wall and she also got excluded.
    A lot of people hate that teacher because her teaching is awful and she's an annoying teacher aswell.
  • Options
    SpouthouseSpouthouse Posts: 1,046
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know one girl that got permanently excluded from her school because she slapped the teacher across the face.
    Also another student also grabbed the teacher by the neck and put her against the wall and she also got excluded.
    A lot of people hate that teacher because her teaching is awful and she's an annoying teacher aswell.

I'm really not sure what point you're trying to make here. Are you suggesting that it's ok to grab a teacher by the neck if you think their teaching is awful?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

But being unruly doesn't just affect the teacher who you may feel picked on by. It also affects fellow students. Is it ok to ruin other student's chances because you feel picked on? To me that is a pretty selfish attitude.

If students feel bullied and picked on, they should deal with it the right way, rather than behaving petulantly and disruptively.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'm really not sure what point you're trying to make here. Are you suggesting that it's ok to grab a teacher by the neck if you think their teaching is awful?

I was definitely NOT suggesting that so I don't know where you got that idea from. I was just showing an example of what happened in a certain school and type of behaviour the pupil used.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    But being unruly doesn't just affect the teacher who you may feel picked on by. It also affects fellow students. Is it ok to ruin other student's chances because you feel picked on? To me that is a pretty selfish attitude.

If students feel bullied and picked on, they should deal with it the right way, rather than behaving petulantly and disruptively.

Yes I know that, but I'm just saying that some children feel the need to do so if their Teacher is picking on them or bullying them.
    It is like their own sign to get attention and their point across.
  • Options
    James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member

Hitting a teacher at out school got you a few weeks or months at most expulsion and I saw teachers get hit all the time.

In fact when I went up a old teacher who had been there years was worried and my Dad used to hit him and this was in the 70's but he soon found I wasn't like him in fact I was the one who would get hit and not hit back
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes I know that, but I'm just saying that some children feel the need to do so if their Teacher is picking on them or bullying them.
    It is like their own sign to get attention and their point across.

I think the intricacies of children's behaviour are well documented and are complex. I certainly agree that poor teaching can exacerbate poor behaviour, but we have be very careful not to turn such acknowledgement into an excuse for poor behaviour. In my school I make it very, very clear that each person is 100% responsible for their behaviour (good or bad).