Titanfall

He4rtHe4rt Posts: 5,379
Forum Member
Just read a very interesting article in which one the develpors explains how they used 'the cloud' not only to bring dedicated servers, getting rid of host advantage ,but to free up additional processing power.

http://www.polygon.com/e3-2013/2013/6/12/4419110/titanfall-respawn

I'm still sitting on the fence with this one but it does sound promising.

Something i wasn't aware of is that the 360 version is being handled by an external team.

Comments

• jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
    Forum Member
    The cloud is the biggest gimmick to date.

The PS2 could use the power of the cloud, the original Xbox could use the power of the cloud.
    The cloud won't improve graphics or framerate or anything at all. All it can do is process non latency related calculations/content and download it to the game. For example the AI in chess or Sim City could be processed in the cloud Or the AI like shown in the forza game.

But it can't do anything else. The cloud and dedicated servers are nothing to do with each other. Marketing term. But dedicated servers is good though.

The thing is that the cloud is not going to free up anything. The game still needs to run on the hardware unless the full game is being streamed to the console. But that's not what Microsoft are doing.

The cloud is just an excuse for MS's always online DRM. Nothing more. MS could come out today and introduce the "power of the cloud" for Xbox 360 and it'd work exactly the same on the Xbox One.

I'm not one to normally complain because marketing is marketing. However when marketing is used to cover up something that is actually affecting the consumer in a negative way then that's not fair on the customer.

I'm sure the game will be great. But it's not thanks to the all new power of the cloud. Its something games have been able to do for a while.
  • He4rtHe4rt Posts: 5,379
    Forum Member
    jabbamk1 wrote: »
    The thing is that the cloud is not going to free up anything..

So what does this mean?:
    "Being able to know we have those servers available allows us to focus on other things," Baker says. It also frees up system resources for the game running on a console or PC. "Before we decided to do that, our plan was to have (two of six available) threads dedicated to that, to running the 'server' on one of the (player) clients. It gives us more CPU available on the console than we’d have."
    Forum Member
    He4rt wrote: »
    So what does this mean?:

It still has to use resources to make cloud computing work.

If the entire game was streamed from the cloud then it'd make sense. But it'd not use any of the hardware at all as all the game would be streamed.

In this case it's still using the hardware, offloading certain non latency related assets and then streaming it via another part of the system.

It doesn't make the Xbox any more powerful at all. It's something any system can take advantage of.

PC's have been doing it for years, Look at Sim City for a recent example. Hell, look at any MMO game.
  • wildphantom!wildphantom! Posts: 561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The PlayStation 4 can use "The power of the cloud" yet Microsoft are using it as a buzzword. You could say as a cynic that Respawn are saying 'this can only be done on the Xbox One" yet Sony have the exact same features on the PS4 and are sidestepping Microsoft paying them a huge some of money to have it exclusively on their platform.
    Sony Computer Entertainment's Shuhei Yoshida says that the PlayStation 4 can tap into similar technology, offloading processes that are typically handled locally to the cloud.

Yoshida said that "of course" PS4 developers will be able to take advantage of cloud-based computing for their titles.

"Linking, matchmaking... there are already many computations being done on the cloud side," Yoshida said, adding that there are limitations to what processes can be offloaded to a remote computer, due to latency and bandwidth.

I remember seeing a Forza 5 interview the Game Director and I lost count how many times he said 'the cloud'.

Eurogamer have a in-depth article about "cloud power"
    Forum Member
    Ok then. So ps4 can do it too. So what do you think of the game?;)
    Forum Member
    The PlayStation 4 can use "The power of the cloud" yet Microsoft are using it as a buzzword. You could say as a cynic that Respawn are saying 'this can only be done on the Xbox One" yet Sony have the exact same features on the PS4 and are sidestepping Microsoft paying them a huge some of money to have it exclusively on their platform.

I remember seeing a Forza 5 interview the Game Director and I lost count how many times he said 'the cloud'.

Eurogamer have a in-depth article about "cloud power"

Thats not even the important bit. The fact is that the original Xbox released in 2001 can use the power of the cloud. It's nothing new. The stuff in Forza (driveatar) was done on Quake 2 back in 1997.

MS are marketing the crap out of the power of the cloud to distract people from the real issues such as DRM. And the fact is that people are eating it up.

Don't get me wrong, titanfall looks great and the cloud can enhance non latency related assets such as maybe lighting or whatever. But it's nothing revolutionary, it doesn't make the Xbox any more powerful, and it certainly doesn't make games run better/look better. (as in framerate/graphics). Also the "power of the cloud" can be used in games like the crew or other open world games to further enhance the players experience, nothing wrong with that.

So MS can use the cloud all they want because when used correctly it can be quite useful for multiplayer games. But it's nothing new and nothing revolutionary, and the fact that CBOAT said it's a buzzword used to distract and justify the always online DRM is stupid. But MS know people are gonna believe that marketing crap.

The cloud won't affect half the stuff like textures and shaders and graphics in general and action and other latency dependant stuff. That's impossible.

But anyway, the fact is that the cloud is being used to distract consumers from the real problem here. And that's the anti consumer DRM policies that Microsoft have imposed. They could announce every single game as exclusive to the Xbox and consumers still should reject it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ok then. So ps4 can do it too. So what do you think of the game?;)

Looks good actually, I was actually surprised how good it looked as I was fairly drawn back when it initially leaked. Disappointed that Respawn took the exclusive route.

Both Destiny and TitanFall are releasing next year so it will be interesting to see how both fair as they're in the same genre and with Bungie attached in both Sony marketing and having ties with Halo with the Xbox crowd.
    Forum Member
    Looks good actually, I was actually surprised how good it looked as I was fairly drawn back when it initially leaked. Disappointed that Respawn took the exclusive route.

Both Destiny and TitanFall are releasing next year so it will be interesting to see how both fair as they're in the same genre and with Bungie attached in both Sony marketing and having ties with Halo with the Xbox crowd.

Titanfall is a timed exclusive most likely (like Mass Effect 2 was) and so Respawn have said it's likely it'll come to PS4 as well.

Just like Destiny will probably be on Xbox as well.
    Forum Member

Not the same genre at all. Not imo anyway. Titanfall is a fast paced shooter and destiny is more of a fps with rpg elements.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not the same genre at all. Not imo anyway. Titanfall is a fast paced shooter and destiny is more of a fps with rpg elements.

They're both multiplayer only Sci-Fi shooters so I think it is the same genre and will be seen that way with Destiny. Why do you think Sony is heading the marketing with Activision.

In terms of timed exclusive I'm not sure. We don't know the arrangement between EA and Microsoft with Respawn stating the want the game available for everyone whilst EA stating "Obviously a business relationship between Electronic Arts, Respawn and Microsoft led to this,". So who knows. But at the moment in is exclusive to Microsoft consoles.

Destiny is multi-platform.
  • 2dshmuplover2dshmuplover Posts: 8,271
    Forum Member
    Have to say I wasn't really looking forward to this but I wasn't paying attention evidently.

I'm not the biggest online-multiplayer fan but I've had my fair share of fun on COD4 back in the day, this to me looks like it could easily be the next big multplayer game. Respawn have covered everything, fights are so much more dynamic, the way you can traverse the game world, the fight between big and small, and the verticality of it which really put COD to shame. The gameplay footage looked so incredibly epic and it was all running of X1 hardware 1080p @ 60fps (another 60fps game!).

They said while it looks gorgeous, their absolute main focus was balance and gameplay, that's exactly what I want to hear. I have to say I am excited for this and the X1 perk of dedicated servers and cloud AI will make it great.
  • OMTTOMTT Posts: 5,459
    Forum Member
    The trailer I saw made it look like Crysis 2/3
  • Delboy219Delboy219 Posts: 3,193
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have to say I wasn't really looking forward to this but I wasn't paying attention evidently.

I'm guilty of the same thing, but i had a proper look yesterday, and wow, it looks fun. It just might be the next big multiplayer game. I'm not a great lover of the huge mechs, but i'm sure its done in a way that makes it enjoyable.

I just read about the Respawn guys saying it might end up on PS4. But right now they are focusing on the one console and getting it out there. Which tells me that somewhere down the line the game will be available on both platforms.
    Forum Member
    OMTT wrote: »
    The trailer I saw made it look like Crysis 2/3

Watch THIS and come back to us.
    Forum Member
    Delboy219 wrote: »
    But right now they are focusing on the one console and getting it out there. Which tells me that somewhere down the line the game will be available on both platforms.

Yeah it might happen but will Sony provide dedicated servers and the same cloud based AI model as MS? Respawn did say this was the reason they went with X1 in the first place due to this native support, it suits the game and it needs to be running absolutely rock-solid online which is their aim.
  • Delboy219Delboy219 Posts: 3,193
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I suppose time will tell. It'll be way over a year before we even have an inkling.

So yea, Forza and Titanfall. Not too shabby imo.
    Forum Member
    It's been announced that it'll be only 6v6 online, with the map being filled with AI. That's really poor.

I can see the brainstorming meeting behind this game. "Guys! We've left Infinity Ward and we need a new game..ideas? Cod with robots and multiplayer only so we don't have to write a piss poor script? I like it!!!"
  • Brass Drag0nBrass Drag0n Posts: 5,046
    Forum Member
    It's been announced that it'll be only 6v6 online, with the map being filled with AI. That's really poor.

I can see the brainstorming meeting behind this game. "Guys! We've left Infinity Ward and we need a new game..ideas? Cod with robots and multiplayer only so we don't have to write a piss poor script? I like it!!!"

Now that is disappointing.
    Forum Member
    I was hoping for 9 v 9 at least. :(

Response by Respawn Rep on Neogaf.
    Lots of armchair game designing going on in here. I'd suggest playing before judging a something as insignificant as a number in a vacuum.

Vince is right - we tried a huge amount of playercounts (all the way down to 1v1 and up quite high) and designed the maps, gameplay mechanics, and entire experience around which played best. If anyone wants to chase the numbers game, perhaps we're not the experience they're after? I dunno.

And FYI, for amount of stuff happening at once in a map you'll be hard pressed to find a game that keeps the action higher. I literally have to stop playing every few rounds because my heart just can't take it some times. Remember, you can get out of your Titan and let it roam on AI mode - meaning there can be 12 Pilots wallrunning around, 12 Titans stomping below, and dozens of AI doing their thing.

Oh, and I keep seeing people thinking we've got "bots" when we talk about AI. Thats not how they are. The AI in Titanfall are not replacements for human players. Our playercount is not 6v6 because of AI - AI play their own role in the game and are a different class of character in the game.

Can't wait! Only a couple months until speculative threads like this are gone and people are actually talking about their experiences with the game. Its truly fun stuff, and I hope everyone at least gives it a try.

Sounds a little better but the post is very defensive. We'll have to wait and see.I want this game to be my new go-to FPS Multiplayer so i'm hoping hard that this game is brilliant.
    Forum Member
    You'd have thought the numbers may have been upped for the PC/Xbox One version and had 6v6 on the 360. I hope it turns out to be a good game as I'll pick it up when I eventually buy a new Xbox One but 6v6 is pretty underwhelming.
  • brbbrb Posts: 27,559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That sucks. I've just cancelled my preorder. Very disappointed about this :( 6v6 isn't just underwhelming, it's bad. Whilst I do understand that having larger numbers also means larger numbers of AI which would clutter things, I'd rather have less AI and more real players.
  • jokerzjokerz Posts: 1,353
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    brb wrote: »
    That sucks. I've just cancelled my preorder. Very disappointed about this :( 6v6 isn't just underwhelming, it's bad. Whilst I do understand that having larger numbers also means larger numbers of AI which would clutter things, I'd rather have less AI and more real players.

Give it a chance.

6v6 with all the AI bots might still give you a good game.

I'm leaving my order for the PC version on for a sec.

Although I have a question - is there a Single Player campaign on Titanfall?
    Forum Member
    No single player campaign, it's an online multiplayer campaign
  • jokerzjokerz Posts: 1,353
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No single player campaign, it's an online multiplayer campaign

May wait for it to drop in price then :)
  • dazzy71dazzy71 Posts: 511
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cannot wait for this, can see why Titanfall Devs are a little defensive. You have armchair critics criticising the work they are doing on the game without even seeing it or playing it for themselves.

If its got some AI players its not really 6v6 is it? AI or real player, not bothered just give me someone to kill !!!