Options

Might have had a look at this phone until !!!

swordmanswordman Posts: 6,679
Forum Member
http://www.carphonewarehouse.com/mobiles/mobile-phones/LG_G_FLEX/HANDSET#ankProdOverview

Seriously :o

probably just CPW (at least I hope) but that is ludicrous.

Comments

• Options
    wavejockglwwavejockglw Posts: 10,596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not ludicrous at all..... it's innovation and makes sense in a lot of ways. It has a fab processor (Snapdragon 800 2.26 Quad Core) and some other very good specs.

Will it catch on? I bet there will be many more curved screen phones coming to market.

Time will tell but it's good to see bold new innovation and product development like the LG Flex.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Not doubting the merits of phone, hence my point about may have had a look at it.

:D But you think £689.95 is not crazy for a phone, you must have plenty of money good for you.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    swordman wrote: »
    Not doubting the merits of phone, hence my point about may have had a look at it.

:D But you think £689.95 is not crazy for a phone, you must have plenty of money good for you.

It's cheaper than the 64GB iPhone 5S (£709.00) and will doubtless come down after the early adopters pay the premium price!

I agree that £700 for a mobile is expensive but some of the most successful companies make fortunes from premium products as folks seem to be happy to pay high prices.

One thing is for sure, those who get a Flex will attract a lot of attention due to it's unusual design.

Just had a browse and it's available SIM Free from Simply Electronics for £448.95 and from Rakuten (Play.com) for £549.00

http://www.simplyelectronics.net/mainproduct.php?pid=23757

That means it's actually £180.05 cheaper than a SIM Free iPhone 5S (from Apple Store) with 32GB of storage. So innovation need not be that expsnsive!
  • Options
    Thine WonkThine Wonk Posts: 17,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Curved screens are a fad. When you read anything you hold in your hands you don't curve it, in fact it is more natural to have it flat. The curve is really pointless, clever that they've managed to achieve it technically, but pretty useless as a design feature and I doubt they'll sell well.
  • Options
    Dean LambertDean Lambert Posts: 1,057
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ridiculous price given that most phones from CPW are unlocked (with the exception of iPhone)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ridiculous price given that most phones from CPW are unlocked (with the exception of iPhone)

See my revised post above as it's available form other suppliers at a much cheaper price (SIM Free).
  • Options
    Dean LambertDean Lambert Posts: 1,057
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    See my revised post above as it's available form other suppliers at a much cheaper price (SIM Free).

But in all cases (with exception if iPhone) you could just buy a phone on payg on any network and it will be unlocked.

That is of course if the handset is available on payg
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That is of course if the handset is available on payg

Indeed but if you buy a Flex SIM Free you can put it on any network or tariff you like!
  • Options
    noise747noise747 Posts: 30,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Crazy yes for a phone, but it is pretty new technology. It will come down in price.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It's cheaper than the 64GB iPhone 5S (£709.00) and will doubtless come down after the early adopters pay the premium price!
    I agree that £700 for a mobile is expensive but some of the most successful companies make fortunes from premium products as folks seem to be happy to pay high prices.
    One thing is for sure, those who get a Flex will attract a lot of attention due to it's unusual design.

Just had a browse and it's available SIM Free from Simply Electronics for £448.95 and from Rakuten (Play.com) for £549.00
    http://www.simplyelectronics.net/mainproduct.php?pid=23757
    That means it's actually £180.05 cheaper than a SIM Free iPhone 5S (from Apple Store) with 32GB of storage. So innovation need not be that expsnsive!

I would be the first to agree that the iphone is hugely over priced and i would pay this instead of the price of an iphone.

I did say it may only be CPW but still that much for a phone is getting into the realms of being totally crazy, regardless if it can be had cheaper.

I hope CPW never sell one and every customer goes elsewhere.
  • Options
    kidspudkidspud Posts: 18,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I like that in order to demonstrate the usefulness of a curved screen, they show a picture of it shaped to someone's backside:)

Nice piece of tech but not sure if it is really useful.
  • Options
    psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Probably being considered as quite a niche product though. Perhaps CPW not willing to risk ordering enough of them to get them at more competitive prices?
  • Options
    RushRush Posts: 426
    Forum Member
    The contract prices are even more crazy! (£57 a month and £49 upfront!), it's a shame as I actually want this phone and my upgrade is on Thursday.
  • Options
    qasdfdsaqqasdfdsaq Posts: 3,350
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As for price, last I recall my 16GB Galaxy S4 RRP'd at £650 SIM free a bit under a year ago...
  • Options
    StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member
    I still can't see the point in this curved screen to be honest.
  • Options
    OrbitalzoneOrbitalzone Posts: 12,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can see they've taken a leaf from old telephone handsets, ie curved to fit the ear and mouth better. Otherwise it's been created purely as an attention grabbing items like the massive curved TV's LG and Samsung have released. It's a talking point rather than an actual benefit.
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    noise747 wrote: »
    Crazy yes for a phone, but it is pretty new technology. It will come down in price.

In a few years' time it probably will be considered a budget or mid-range device :p
  • Options
    calico_piecalico_pie Posts: 10,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So what are the advantages of a phone with a curved screen?

I can't imagine a curved touchscreen being better / easier to use than a flat touchscreen.

Seems to solve a non existent problem.
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thine Wonk wrote: »
    Curved screens are a fad. When you read anything you hold in your hands you don't curve it, in fact it is more natural to have it flat. The curve is really pointless, clever that they've managed to achieve it technically, but pretty useless as a design feature and I doubt they'll sell well.

Agreed - and it will be more difficult to slip into your pocket, or to house it in a rigid case.

Just like curved screen TVs, a design fad promoted as if it's something that we could not live without.
    The 6” HD screen on the LG G Flex is the first to use POLED technology. That’s what lets it curve in the way it does. It also means the screen is super tough so if you drop it on a concrete floor, it should be fine. The curve also helps make movies spectacular. The curve of the screen makes the viewing angles flawless, even at the far edges. Brightness and colours have been perfected too, so the cinematic experience is even better.
    "makes the viewing angles flawless" Really? On a tiny screen? That is pure marketing hype.
  • Options
    clonmultclonmult Posts: 3,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not ludicrous at all..... it's innovation and makes sense in a lot of ways. It has a fab processor (Snapdragon 800 2.26 Quad Core) and some other very good specs.

Will it catch on? I bet there will be many more curved screen phones coming to market.

Time will tell but it's good to see bold new innovation and product development like the LG Flex.

I think you misunderstand the word "innovative".

Curved screens on a mobile are a temporary fad. Nothing more. There is no discernible benefit to them.
  • Options
    Anika HansonAnika Hanson Posts: 15,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It is expensive for a phone but it's not different to the prices of other flagships at launch I.e Apple, Samsung, HTC etc.
  • Options
    testcardtestcard Posts: 8,202
    Forum Member
    Place on a flat surface and watch the phone rock itself to sleep.
  • Options
    iangradiangrad Posts: 813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    noise747 wrote: »

Probably only come down in price when the "next" new thing comes out which in this case could be flexible screen phones rather than fixed curve .
  • Options
    iangradiangrad Posts: 813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I hope CPW never sell one and every customer goes elsewhere.

What a strange sentiment unless you were joking ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Strange why exactly? Strange to think it is strange I would say!

You may be happy to pay over the odds for something I would rather a company charging the maximum is not rewarded with custom.