Options

Internet Explorer 11 wont download?

HDMIHDMI Posts: 1,346
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I have bt infinity and everytime I log in the home page suggests I download ie 11 when I click on download nothing happens this has been going on for several days any advice please

Comments

• Options
    MaccaMacca Posts: 18,541
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You're better off downloading Firefox or Chrome browsers. IE sucks
  • Options
    chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    HDMI wrote: »
    I have bt infinity and everytime I log in the home page suggests I download ie 11 when I click on download nothing happens this has been going on for several days any advice please
    Resist the temptation to click on the link?

And if you are running a version of Windows older than Win 7 IE 11 may not work anyway.
  • Options
    Jesse PinkmanJesse Pinkman Posts: 5,794
    Forum Member
    I have IE Firefox and Opera installed as they all do some things well and others not so well.
  • Options
    de525made525ma Posts: 874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You can't download IE 11 if you are still on Windows XP or Vista. The last version for XP is 8, and the last version for Vista is 9.

On Windows 7/8/8.1 Internet Explorer 11 is delivered via Windows Update (in the control panel).
  • Options
    neyney Posts: 12,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is it worth getting IE11. I have been on IE10 for 4 or 5 months.
    Im still using Window 7 and my desktop PC is now over 3 years old and my laptop that I now don't use much since getting the Nexus 7 just over a year old will be 4 years old come October.

Darren
  • Options
    MicrokorgMicrokorg Posts: 2,670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shocked that people still use IE!
  • Options
    Wbc-WorkerWbc-Worker Posts: 815
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ney wrote: »
    Is it worth getting IE11. I have been on IE10 for 4 or 5 months.
    Im still using Window 7 and my desktop PC is now over 3 years old and my laptop that I now don't use much since getting the Nexus 7 just over a year old will be 4 years old come October.

Darren

well it does everything to install Bing and if you change all the settings you may or may not get Google.

at one point I could reach Google UK but then my keyboard stopped working { I am not kidding } even although it was working fine with Chrome ' in the next window ' so whatever is going on unless you don't mind Bing then you may be better off just skipping it.

just like magic if I start up in Bing the keyboard works so they clearly are ' at it '

I am using Windows 8.1 with 16 GB of RAM on a machine bought a few months ago - the 8.1 had helped a bit but they have to remember that Customers these days prefer to chose their own search provider and not have it forced on them.
  • Options
    LION8TIGERLION8TIGER Posts: 8,484
    Forum Member
    The only use IE8 on XP to check for windows updates, luckily (??) I'll only have to do it one more time.
  • Options
    neyney Posts: 12,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wbc-Worker wrote: »
    well it does everything to install Bing and if you change all the settings you may or may not get Google.

at one point I could reach Google UK but then my keyboard stopped working { I am not kidding } even although it was working fine with Chrome ' in the next window ' so whatever is going on unless you don't mind Bing then you may be better off just skipping it.

just like magic if I start up in Bing the keyboard works so they clearly are ' at it '

I am using Windows 8.1 with 16 GB of RAM on a machine bought a few months ago - the 8.1 had helped a bit but they have to remember that Customers these days prefer to chose their own search provider and not have it forced on them.

Thanks for the reply. I don't really use Bing, Its mostly Google and now and again Yahoo that I use.
    Think I will just stay with IE10 for now then.

Darren
  • Options
    HHGTTGHHGTTG Posts: 5,941
    Forum Member
    Maccadanny wrote: »
    You're better off downloading Firefox or Chrome browsers. IE sucks

Well, it doesn't 'suck' as you eloquently put it and no other browser I have tried can access one's bookmarks/favorites as easily as IE10 for example. Just Ctrl I and there is your list of Favorites etc.
  • Options
    Helmut10Helmut10 Posts: 2,433
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Talk Web browsers and all you get is misinformation.

Windows 8 comes with IE 10, Windows 8.1 comes with IE 11.
    With Windows 8, Windows Updates should list IE 11 as an update.

It is always best to go to the main man, rather than some other website.

Bing is not forced on you either, in IE 11 like earlier versions, you can add other search engines and make them the default if that is your wish.

I use IE 11, have Google as a default for both Search Engine and as an Accelerator. Nothing bad happens.
  • Options
    Wbc-WorkerWbc-Worker Posts: 815
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Helmut10 wrote: »
    Talk Web browsers and all you get is misinformation.

Bing is not forced on you either, in IE 11 like earlier versions, you can add other search engines and make them the default if that is your wish.

I use IE 11, have Google as a default for both Search Engine and as an Accelerator. Nothing bad happens.

I did not make that claim - sure you can select other options but if you do ' it then disables the keyboard' so making it useless as there is no point having a search engine if you cant type in the box - switch back to Bing and it does allow keyboard input so clearly they are doing their best to prevent users from having a real free choice.

Just because you have not had any problems does not mean that others have had a trouble free experience.

the Internet is full of people who hate Windows 8 and all it came with.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I did not make that claim - sure you can select other options but if you do ' it then disables the keyboard'

what nonsense...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    the Internet is full of people who hate Windows 8 and all it came with.

Most of them are luddites who don't know what they are talking about.

All they need to do is install classic shell - a 2 second job...