Options

Fibre - first class

PhilipSPhilipS Posts: 825
Forum Member
✭✭
I know Sky come in for some flak, but sometimes they get it right.

First day of fibre availability (yes, I was checking every day since the DSLAM cabinet appeared) - call to Sky. They knew the service was available. Yes, I could have the 80 Mbps service.

Three days later, the Hub arrives, along with a note saying the service will go live in seven days time. Set it up - it works fine on the ADSL connection.

The day before the switch over, a reminder call from Sky, reminding me the service will go off for a short while the next day, and checking I was OK to connect up the box, and explaining how the line would be stabilised after that. I knew that stuff, but it was a nice touch.

On the day - broadband off for about 25 minutes. Back up, and I've been synced at 79987 down, 20000 up ever since - rock solid. I'm less than 100 yards from the cabinet, which probably helps. As we were getting around 5Mbps down, 700k up before, this is transformational.

So they can get it right.

Comments

• Options
    BKMBKM Posts: 6,912
    Forum Member
    PhilipS wrote: »
    So they can get it right.
    It's a shame that their router is only single-band and barely up to the task! It gets totally slated in most reviews!

I moved from Sky back to BT last month over two main issues - the Sky router and (mainly!) their withdrawal of Line Rental Saver. I had been very satisfied with Sky Broadband - but its cost had been rapidly escalating. I got exactly as efficient an Infinity install!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BKM wrote: »
    It's a shame that their router is only single-band and barely up to the task! It gets totally slated in most reviews!

I moved from Sky back to BT last month over two main issues - the Sky router and (mainly!) their withdrawal of Line Rental Saver. I had been very satisfied with Sky Broadband - but its cost had been rapidly escalating. I got exactly as efficient an Infinity install!

Yes, the router isn't exactly best in class. I use an Apple Time Capsule for the wi-fi duties, and as well as being dual band, the 2.4GHz range is slightly, but measurably, better than the Sky Hub. But the two things do play nicely together.

And the actual install at the cabinet was under BT's control, I guess.
  • Options
    chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, the router isn't exactly best in class. I use an Apple Time Capsule for the wi-fi duties, and as well as being dual band, the 2.4GHz range is slightly, but measurably, better than the Sky Hub. But the two things do play nicely together.

And the actual install at the cabinet was under BT's control, I guess.

you could actually do away with the sky router completely and just use the Time Capsule and the openreach modem. the Time Capsule is more than capable of acting as the router for all services and connections.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chenks wrote: »
    you could actually do away with the sky router completely and just use the Time Capsule and the openreach modem. the Time Capsule is more than capable of acting as the router for all services and connections.

Except that the new Sky hub is integrated, so there isn't a separate Openreach modem. But I take your point - I could just use it as a modem, and use the Time Capsule for DHCP, managing the LAN etc. Not sure there would be any advantage though - or am I missing something? In theory the TC would be faster on Ethernet as the connections are allegedly gigabit, but in a domestic situation, would I notice?
  • Options
    arunan22arunan22 Posts: 1,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Except that the new Sky hub is integrated, so there isn't a separate Openreach modem. But I take your point - I could just use it as a modem, and use the Time Capsule for DHCP, managing the LAN etc. Not sure there would be any advantage though - or am I missing something? In theory the TC would be faster on Ethernet as the connections are allegedly gigabit, but in a domestic situation, would I notice?

Well the time capsule would be better for everything Wifi related - thats where the Sky Hub falls down.
  • Options
    Aye UpAye Up Posts: 7,053
    Forum Member

Would you like a BT Openreach Modem?

I have one spare....
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 362
    Forum Member

I too moved back to BT due to the fact sky wouldn't budge on their set up fee, where as BT were offering free set up and BT sports thrown in
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

you must have had a "wires only" install then where you don't get a separate modem.
    and nothing allegedly about the gigabit ports on the TC, they are most definitely gigabit.
    in a domestic situation you would notice it if you're copying large files about.
  • Options
    BKMBKM Posts: 6,912
    Forum Member
    chenks wrote: »
    you must have had a "wires only" install then where you don't get a separate modem.
    OpenReach do such installs for BT as well - as their HomeHub5 is also a VDSL modem.

Sky are doing all "no engineer visit" installs AFAIK. For BT these are only for Infinity 1 so far.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OpenReach do such installs for BT as well - as their HomeHub5 is also a VDSL modem.

i know this
  • Options
    The SackThe Sack Posts: 10,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You have to love the BT HH5, 75Mbit down 18Mbit up over 5GHz WiFi with the router and PC in separate rooms with a brick dividing wall.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Sack wrote: »
    You have to love the BT HH5, 75Mbit down 18Mbit up over 5GHz WiFi with the router and PC in separate rooms with a brick dividing wall.

i'd expect to achieve that on any decent 5Ghz N router though.
    the HH5 is not unique in achieving that.