Options

Oscar Pistorius Trial (Merged)

Comments

• Options
    porky42porky42 Posts: 12,796
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the prosecution still think that he may have been on his legs.

I also think that this idea will be checked. We only have Ops word for it that that is all they could see, although he's probably been told that.

If they saw a figure, not just a head, then he was on his legs.

Mangena said that he was most likely on his stumps, but that leaves room for the possibility that he shot with a different arm position.

Dr Stipp saw him after the second bangs when he must have been on his legs. Not much use as evidence really.
  • Options
    bobbydbobbyd Posts: 3,388
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That was if he was on his stumps. His torso would be visible (as seen by Dr Stipp), he said, only if he was on his legs.
    Correct.
  • Options
    daziechaindaziechain Posts: 12,124
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is it possible she had hung her jeans on the window to dry during the day? (I think it was mentioned that she was doing some washing) When she went to the loo, she remembered that she'd hung them there and was looking out the window to see if they'd fallen on the ground below?
    Surely .. she'd have hung them from the balcony or more probably on the balcony.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 124
    Forum Member
    maringar wrote: »
    An Expert on The Justice Programme, Enca Africa commented yesterday regarding Oscars fears and their likelihood. Not alone are the disabled targeted in their homes but also on the Highway while a clip of one particular incident on the highway was shown, and yes the Police are unable to get on top of the problem. Oscar is very right in his assumptions regarding the Police and his fears, was his conclusion

ALL South Africans have been touched by crime in some way or another- he is not unique. People just get on with it over there. Its a part of life (I know I lived there for over
    30 years) He exaggerates these fears of his and tbh his examples of being a victim of crime were laughable- were they even true? One was most certainly a lie.
  • Options
    AJ_TvllAJ_Tvll Posts: 3,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bobbyd wrote: »
    he has to be shown to be guilty. Lying is in no way proof of guilt. Agreed, wholeheartedly.

How do you figure that ?

OP is entering into evidence a story that explain how RS was shot and killed by him without him knowing it was at RS he was shooting at.

If the Judge believes OP is lying then OP's evidence (i.e. the story) is deemed unreliable and not credible.

Do you think the Judge will think up a new scenario by herself to explain 'how OP could have killed RS without knowing it was her'…I believe that legally she can't

This is not a 'who dunnit' case where the Prosecution says that Joe killed his wife and Joe says it wasn't me because at the time I was at my friends house…In this type of case, if the Judge does not believe Joe's story or thinks Joe is lying, it does not mean that Joe killed his wife…. Joe might be lying for a lot of reasons that have nothing to do with the murder… so the Prosecution has to prove behind a reasonable doubt that Joe killed his wife.

But in OP's case nobody is contesting the fact that he killed RS… the only question in play is the circumstances in which that crime happened…that's why it's a circumstantial case.

The ONLY story before the Judge that could possibly explain how OP didn't know he was shooting at RS is the accused version… therefore if that version is not believed because OP is deemed to be lying and fabricating a story, the Judge has nothing left but the Prosecutions theory that OP had to know he was shooting at RS.
  • Options
    gettygetty Posts: 3,480
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    postit wrote: »
    Pistorius was born with fibular hemimelia (congenital absence of the fibula) in both legs. When he was 11 months old, his legs were amputated halfway between his knees and ankles (Wikipedia)

Just found a pic showing him without his artificial limbs, he's got quite a lengthy stump below each knee and since being without the bottom half of his legs from the age of 11 months, I'm assuming he's become quite adept at his movement and balance on his stumps.
    http://www.runnersworld.co.za/wp-content/uploads/sites/4/2012/07/Oscar.jpeg
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If he had decided to fight instead of flight, if he had decided to try and scare off the intruder(s) and make them leave the house, then yes, it's certainly a plausible course of action.

This where I think Nel's questions are often unfair. So many times he asks for explanations of what could be instinctive, spontaneous, unconscious reactions. No-one can explain them.

Why did you do what you did? is something Nel repeats again and again and yet, if Pistorius's story is true, it's unlikely he'll ever know why he did what he did, so he says he doesn't know and Nel says 'that's not good enough, Mr Pistorius', so Pistorius stumbles around trying to explain it, and of course it comes across as evasive and suspect.

Trials try to bring fact and reason and logic and rationality into the light. Unfortunately incidents such as those suggested by Pistorius's story don't acknowledge logic and rationality. They can't. They are the outcome of instinct and irrationality and can't be completely explained, either at the time or with hindsight.

Nice post.

I do think that the process Nel must go through can often look like he is just scrabbling around on the surface. He is trying to catch him out and this can be on a very simple thing. He has to add a layer of how OP understood the situation as well so he can deal with his state of mind as the gun fired and his immediate actions before and after it.
  • Options
    RhumbatuggerRhumbatugger Posts: 85,713
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    porky42 wrote: »
    Dr Stipp saw him after the second bangs when he must have been on his legs. Not much use as evidence really.

So, Stipp saw him between the sets of shots? (Can't remember)
  • Options
    lynwood3lynwood3 Posts: 24,904
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    daver34 wrote: »
    Did they check for fingerprint`s on the window, to see if Reeva`s prints are on it?.

There was no finger print evidence entered as far as I remember.
    Reeva's fingerprints on the window would not prove conclusively that she opened the window that night, as she had been there many times,
    In any case we know there were no intruders so I don't see it as being important whether she opened the window or not.
    The important part would be if a witness saw the window open all evening.
    Even then it doesn't prove much as Reeva still could have touched the window and cause a noise which triggered OP's code red alert.

The important question is 'was the light on in the bathroom?'.........ask porky :D
  • Options
    valdvald Posts: 46,057
    Forum Member
    lynwood3 wrote: »
    I don't have a problem with her opening the window if his version of events is true.
    Perhaps she thought 'Bugger me it's sweltering hot and he has just closed the only source of fresh air......I'll open the bathroom window instead'

Trouble is that I'm not convinced that she opened the window, it could have been open all along.

Nor am I convinced that the bedroom curtains were ever closed or that Oscar closed them and the balcony doors.

I am not convinced that there was not a conversation beyond that short exchange when Oscar woke up. He says that she asked him 'can't you sleep Baba'....strange thing to say when he'd slept for 5 hours and he said she was still awake.

I'm not convinced that her phone was ever in the toilet with her...she did not attempt to use it.

There are many other things that lead me to believe that his story is just that...a story.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nice post.

I do think that the process Nel must go through can often look like he is just scrabbling around on the surface. He is trying to catch him out and this can be on a very simple thing. He has to add a layer of how OP understood the situation as well so he can deal with his state of mind as the gun fired and his immediate actions before and after it.

I think it's important to ask the 'why's' for the reasons you say. It's OP's state of mind that is important when assessing intent. I thought he did well with that for the shooting. OP had to agree he was the aggressor, not a defender, and when he cited the washing machine, the IDEA that he was 'defending' rather than 'going for the intruder' was shot to pieces. That's what he's like.

Op kept trying to say 'vulnerable, fear, fear of my life, defending Reeva' but the whole thing was shown to be about OPs stance as 'aggressor'. And he THOUGHT like an aggressor, not a defender. Whatever he tried to say.
  • Options
    BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,553
    Forum Member
    Coming into this forum is like locking yourself into OP's toilet. You take your life into your own hands. :D

:o:o :D:D
  • Options
    franciefrancie Posts: 31,089
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    54 now

You're wasted on DS :)
  • Options
    daver34daver34 Posts: 825
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lynwood3 wrote: »
    There was no finger print evidence entered as far as I remember.
    Reeva's fingerprints on the window would not prove conclusively that she opened the window that night, as she had been there many times,
    In any case we know there were no intruders so I don't see it as being important whether she opened the window or not.
    The important part would be if a witness saw the window open all evening.
    Even then it doesn't prove much as Reeva still could have touched the window and cause a noise which triggered OP's code red alert.

The important question is 'was the light on in the bathroom?'.........ask porky :D

If reeva did not open the window, how did OP hear it slamming/opening?.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    vald wrote: »
    Trouble is that I'm not convinced that she opened the window, it could have been open all along.

Nor am I convinced that the bedroom curtains were ever closed or that Oscar closed them and the balcony doors.

I am not convinced that there was not a conversation beyond that short exchange when Oscar woke up. He says that she asked him 'can't you sleep Baba'....strange thing to say when he'd slept for 5 hours and he said she was still awake.

I'm not convinced that her phone was ever in the toilet with her...she did not attempt to use it.

There are many other things that lead me to believe that his story is just that...a story.

Spot on. I feel the same. Nearly ALL of it is just not convincing in an ordinary way. It not only seems like a STORY, but like one specifically made up to cover something else. Even stories are often more realistic.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    francie wrote: »

True......but I hope he stays.
    I love his humour and even his analysis is top notch.......unless his wife has stocked up the fridge with gingerbeer :p
  • Options
    BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,553
    Forum Member
    The are sliding windows so i assume it's possible if they are not latched or locked.

This raises several issues.

Why don't the windows lock?

Why would a burglar ASSUME they could be opened from all the way down on the ground, and RISK going up a LADDER on that premise?

Why would OP think that?

Why wouldn't the alarm have gone off?

Why would this Ninja burglar creep up and then SLAM the window open?

Why would this burglar SLAM the door to the toilet?

Also how would an intruder/unknown person/OP's vivid imagination/ get into (is it a complex) as they are security gated and I assumed highly secured.

Even tho there was NO intruder :kitty:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    daver34 wrote: »
    If reeva did not open the window, how did OP hear it slamming/opening?.

A very good question ;-)
  • Options
    lea27lea27 Posts: 11,426
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Did anyone pick up on the testimony from OP (right at the end) that Reeva had been in a similar situation before? Do we know anything about that incident? Perhaps, knowing the details, that gave him the idea to (re)use the intruder story?

Bumping this.
  • Options
    Bus Stop2012Bus Stop2012 Posts: 5,624
    Forum Member
    This is a long read, but its the judge's summing up and directions to the jury in the Ian Huntley trial. Whilst there is no jury in this case its fair to say that it contains much if not all of the process by which milady and her assessors will arrive at judgment. Although on the face of it the crime was very different, Huntley's defence was that it was an 'accident' and he didn't intend to take anyone's life, so it contains directions on how to arrive at the 'right' type of homicide verdict, and there will be similarities in that respect.

http://www.bernardomahoney.com/forthcb/pdt/hajdocuments/111203page01.shtml

(11.12.03. Mr Justice Moses comes in after the long submission by Mr Hubbard).
  • Options
    smackasmacka Posts: 1,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well that at least gives some hope

he needs to be locked away because if his version is true he is a danger to society. Poor girl lost her life in the most brutal of ways.
    She must have been petrified in that tiny cubical:(

She wasn't a poor girl she was a fully grown woman (3 years older than you apparently)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    francie wrote: »

Well I don't know about that but I've just been weeding around the trees for a change of pace :)

Whilst doing this I was wondering, if OP had to come up with a story to cover his crime why didn't he choose Reeva going to the loo instead of going onto the balcony like she said she was going to. It could be far less problematic.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lea27 wrote: »
    Bumping this.

It probably came from the same book of excuses as the 'gunman in a black mercedes' excuse.
  • Options
    bobbydbobbyd Posts: 3,388
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AJ_Tvll wrote: »
    How do you figure that ?

OP is entering into evidence a story that explain how RS was shot and killed by him without him knowing it was at RS he was shooting at.

If the Judge believes OP is lying then OP's evidence (i.e. the story) is deemed unreliable and not credible.

Do you think the Judge will think up a new scenario by herself to explain 'how OP could have killed RS without knowing it was her'…I believe that legally she can't

This is not a 'who dunnit' case where the Prosecution says that Joe killed his wife and Joe says it wasn't me because at the time I was at my friends house…In this type of case, if the Judge does not believe Joe's story or thinks Joe is lying, it does not mean that Joe killed his wife…. Joe might be lying for a lot of reasons that have nothing to do with the murder… so the Prosecution has to prove behind a reasonable doubt that Joe killed his wife.

But in OP's case nobody is contesting the fact that he killed RS… the only question in play is the circumstances in which that crime happened…that's why it's a circumstantial case.

The ONLY story before the Judge that could possibly explain how OP didn't know he was shooting at RS is the accused version… therefore if that version is not believed because OP is deemed to be lying and fabricating a story, the Judge has nothing left but the Prosecutions theory that OP had to know he was shooting at RS.

I agree, if the crucial part is all a pack of lies. Other lies reflect his bad character, but are not enough to convict. The defendant is in a different position to other witness testimony with regard to evaluating credibility imo,
  • Options
    franciefrancie Posts: 31,089
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Centaurion wrote: »
    not much hope of a first time poster being treated gently by the rabid trial junkies on this thread.

lack of sleep, combined with a seriious caffiene and nicotine addiction has made them irritable and crotchety, especially with annoying newbies who have a life and HAVEN'T FOLLOWED THE F***ING TRIAL FROM DAY ONE !!!!!!!

people are allowed to comment and not be ridiculed for their opinions by the usual high and mighty egomaniacs

is that right kappel ?

A tad irritable and crotchety yourself today by sounds of. :)
This discussion has been closed.