Options

Artists who NEED collaborations to survive.

Red+BloodedRed+Blooded Posts: 4,676
Forum Member
✭✭✭
http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/music/news/a235947/keri-hilson-has-big-names-on-new-lp.html

What artists, aprat from Keri hilson (mentioned in the link above) are not counting on collaborations to survive.

Others would be Esmee Denters, Chipmunk, Jay Z (some maybe shocked by this, but look at his over use of collaborations on his four relesed singles from blueprint 3, which would be NOTHING without the featured artist).

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 641
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kelly Rowland.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Esmee had a #7 single with 'Outta Here' but her next single flopped and the album did awful. Her collab with Chip should have raised her profile a bit and it's quite a suprise to see her next collab with JT struggling to break the top 100 on iTunes.

I guess it's all about quality. Her lead single and collab with Chip were much better than her next single and the one with JT.

And rappers need collabs or samples. 100% rap doesn't sell that's why Eminem always has samples, or collabs, or singers vocals on the chorus.
  • Options
    kryskryskryskrys Posts: 3,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tinchy Stryder
    Ciara
    Chipmunk
    Estelle
    Mr Hudson
    Flo Rida
    Will.i.am (well obviously he's got Black Eyed Peas, but in terms of his solo stuff)
    Professor Green
  • Options
    kutoxkutox Posts: 16,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    3Oh!3
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,003
    Forum Member
    90% of hip-hop acts.

They need someone who can sing and provide the actual hook/chorus of the song or else it's just 4 minutes of usually self-indulgent noise that nobody would give a shit about.

It's a rare talent for a rapper to pull off a song on their own. It's usually the ones who give singing a go.
  • Options
    musicdudemusicdude Posts: 8,939
    Forum Member
    Quite a shame that Esmee has sorta relied on collabs as her album is fantastic and the majority of the best songs are her on her own

Ciara always relies collabs. Goodies had Petey pablo, 1,2 step and work has missy elliott, Oh had ludacris. Love sex and magic had JT, Can't leave em alone had 50 cent and so on

Eminem is one of the few rappers who doesn't rely on collabs. He does the odd song with dr dre and did that collab with Dido but Dido benifited from that song more the Eminem, It's only been since the recovery album where he put big names on such as RiRi, Pink and Lil wayne.

Tinchy's best songs have all been collabs such as Taio, N dubz and Amelle from sugababes. Jay sean relies heavly such as Lil wayne, Lil jon and Sean paul. The best songs from his album happen to be collabs with Keisha Buchanan and Craig david,
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Every rapper.

If I like a rap song, I like the bit the female featured sings. That's the catchy bit, that's the good bit.
  • Options
    haim100haim100 Posts: 627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I COMPLETELY agree with Jay-Z, I've said it before and it seems nobody can see it - but he TOTALLY relies on collabs.

Eminem didn't - but in his recovery album (an aptly named album...) he has taken advantage of collabs to ensure minimal chance of another flop...

I can never understand Keri Hilson, she seems talented enough and has a lovely voice and a lot going for her - but how come she doesn't use it for the right things? Everything she does seems to be pretty mediocre. It's not a good way to develop a name for yourself - I mean at least Ciara has had a hit or two - Keri has sort of, but only with other artists....she would have done much better if she went it alone (with the RIGHT backing...) right after 'Just the way I are' with Timbaland.
  • Options
    BikoBiko Posts: 2,419
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    90% of hip-hop acts.

They need someone who can sing and provide the actual hook/chorus of the song or else it's just 4 minutes of usually self-indulgent noise that nobody would give a shit about.

It's a rare talent for a rapper to pull off a song on their own. It's usually the ones who give singing a go.

this... obviously aswell
  • Options
    TejasTejas Posts: 5,027
    Forum Member
    haim100 wrote: »
    I COMPLETELY agree with Jay-Z, I've said it before and it seems nobody can see it - but he TOTALLY relies on collabs.

Eminem didn't - but in his recovery album (an aptly named album...) he has taken advantage of collabs to ensure minimal chance of another flop...

I also agree with you here - Jay-Z would be nothing without all his collabs. I doubt either of his big hits last year would have done anything in the charts without Alicia Keys or Rihanna, and of course he's had Beyonce collabs in the past. I really don't see the fuss about this guy.

Now at least Eminem can make a good track without having a famous name on it - granted he seems to be heading that way now, but how many top 10 hits has he had on his own? More than any other rapper by far I'd bet.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,601
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Alexandra Burke obvs!