The new Ipad. Not selling like hot cakes!!

Comments

• linkinpark875linkinpark875 Posts: 29,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stuart_h wrote: »
    Erm ..... I've tried an iPad ....

Didn't like 4:3
    Hate iTunes
    Needed removable storage and card slots
    Like Widgets
    Need flash

Really. I'm glad you have found a device that's perfect for you but an iPad doesn't meet my needs so please stop your silly generalizations.

The iPad is a nice bit of kit. I'd recommend it to my non-techie retired dad. Some of us just want something "more". It doesn't mean we are poor (far from it thanks) or obtuse ..... it just means we have different needs.

You really should be grateful anyway as if there was no competition then apple would not be driven to improve their product at all.

Imagine a world where you could only buy one make/model of car!!!

Not everybody needs to use Itunes now you can set up the Ipad without a PC. Wiglets may come in IOS6 and there's apps out there to play flash video on the Ipad however websites are going HTML5 now so nobody really cares about flash.

Your preferences may suit an Android tablet but it will suffer lack of support, more than one new model a year, much slower speeds, less tailored apps and content.

If Apple never released the Ipad I bet nobody would even use tablets the idea would have been left in the past. Netbooks and larger 5" smart phones would be more popular instead. :p
  • bigpodbigpod Posts: 1,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We're not talking laptops though. I bought a new Windows 7 desktop PC this year but clearly others are not buying them in the same numbers due to Ipad.

I prefer Netbooks to Laptops to be honest. I feel Laptops are a bit big in this day in age.

Please switch your thinking head on. YOU said Ipads outsold PC's. YOU used a source which showed the exact opposite. You cannot not backtrack and extract a major proportion of the sample group to try to prove your point. Especially when, if you are going to compare one type of sales with another, you should go for "similar" products. Ipad might be a challenger to a laptop for some, but there is really no comparison to a desktop.
  • alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No one cares about Flash?

I've seen plenty of complaints on sports new sites about not seeing highlights because they insist on using Flash. Maybe it costs them to change or its still that DRM web dilemma.

We can think for ourselves thank you.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bigpod wrote: »
    Please switch your thinking head on. YOU said Ipads outsold PC's. YOU used a source which showed the exact opposite. You cannot not backtrack and extract a major proportion of the sample group to try to prove your point. Especially when, if you are going to compare one type of sales with another, you should go for "similar" products. Ipad might be a challenger to a laptop for some, but there is really no comparison to a desktop.

It's outsold PC's that's what I said. I never mentioned Laptops. We are not comparing the Ipad to a PC but people ARE getting rid of them maybe people who don't need all the connectivity and just browse the odd site. The need for connectivity is dropping even my latest PC is smaller and has less sockets.

Sorry to day but memory cards, removable batters and flash are things starting to become left in the past, partly if not mostly down to Apple. Not saying that's better but since having an Iphone I've never missed things like memory cards.
  • slick1twoslick1two Posts: 2,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Contrary to what Apple fanboys keep telling us, flash is far from dead. HTML5 is absolutely nowhere still. There are millions upon millions of sites still using flash. That will change someday. But for now, flash is going nowhere. Since it;s still very much a web standard I would like all current hardware capable of giving me a full web experience, If they cannot, then they are pretty much inferior to a device that can offer the full internet, instead of a reliance on apps.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alanwarwic wrote: »
    No one cares about Flash?

I've seen plenty of complaints on sports new sites about not seeing highlights because they insist on using Flash. Maybe it costs them to change or its still that DRM web dilemma.

We can think for ourselves thank you.

Sites are moving away from flash.

Flash as we know it is finished:

http://blogs.adobe.com/conversations/2011/11/flash-focus.html

The company is moving on get over it. :rolleyes::D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    slick1two wrote: »
    Contrary to what Apple fanboys keep telling us, flash is far from dead. HTML5 is absolutely nowhere still. There are millions upon millions of sites still using flash. That will change someday. But for now, flash is going nowhere. Since it;s still very much a web standard I would like all current hardware capable of giving me a full web experience, If they cannot, then they are pretty much inferior to a device that can offer the full internet, instead of a reliance on apps.

Haha yet I posted a link to how they are focusing on apps. :rolleyes:

How come I hardly browse any flash sites now? It's on the way out.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's outsold PC's that's what I said. I never mentioned Laptops. We are not comparing the Ipad to a PC but people ARE getting rid of them maybe people who don't need all the connectivity and just browse the odd site. The need for connectivity is dropping even my latest PC is smaller and has less sockets.

Sorry to day but memory cards, removable batters and flash are things starting to become left in the past, partly if not mostly down to Apple. Not saying that's better but since having an Iphone I've never missed things like memory cards.

PC means Personal Computer, and ever since the days of Amigas and Ataris has been taken to mean a computer running Windows, and latterly Linux (plus a few other minor OS's). Macs would probably not be included in the list as they are generically known as Macs. But They will include any form factor including laptops and desktops - as is evidenced by the article you quoted (Ipad sales equal 17% of the PC market, and desktops are a part of that market - if the market for PCs doesn't include laptops, what is the form factor of the 83%?).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PC means Personal Computer, and ever since the days of Amigas and Ataris has been taken to mean a computer running Windows, and latterly Linux (plus a few other minor OS's). Macs would probably not be included in the list as they are generically known as Macs. But They will include any form factor including laptops and desktops - as is evidenced by the article you quoted (Ipad sales equal 17% of the PC market, and desktops are a part of that market - if the market for PCs doesn't include laptops, what is the form factor of the 83%?).

Well Apple quoted desktops and PC's at the press conference. Personally I feel it's a good achievement outselling desktops. One thing for sure is laptops are more people now upgrading from XP/Vista however Apple can create a yearly cycle of people updating the Ipad.

No point in trying to deflect off Apples impressive sales figures. The Android stands at electrical stores are always empty for the obvious reason that they are poor. I believe HP gave up there tablet production wouldn't be surprised if Playbook is next as it's been a fail.

I expect it to be Galaxy Tab vs Ipad for years to come with The Kindle filling a niche market for cheap tablets.
  • Stuart_hStuart_h Posts: 5,311
    Forum Member
    flash isn't dead.

Its a bit like saying you don't need any local storage because the cloud is there ..... we all know that's the way its heading but its still a few years off.

I'd wager that ifans are still spouting the flash argument when I ipad6 is being announced.

Whilst there are still sites out there with flash on I still want flash. End of story.
  • alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Martyrdom,an honourable trait.

An interesting thing about Flash is that it might be getting used as a negotiating weapon against Apple 30% fees.
    So it will be hanging around for quite a while.
  • IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There are sites that use flash with DRM, I don't think DRM can be used with HTML5 atm.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stuart_h wrote: »
    flash isn't dead.

Its a bit like saying you don't need any local storage because the cloud is there ..... we all know that's the way its heading but its still a few years off.

I'd wager that ifans are still spouting the flash argument when I ipad6 is being announced.

Whilst there are still sites out there with flash on I still want flash. End of story.

There is an app or two out there that supports flash on the Ipad.

Why not just use that for the odd site that has flash?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is an app or two out there that supports flash on the Ipad.

Why not just use that for the odd site that has flash?

Right, you do that then. Go find that app. In the mean time I will go for a surf on my playbook and not worry about website functionality and sites looking just a little odd.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWv8Bj3-RS4&feature=player_embedded
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well Apple quoted desktops and PC's at the press conference. Personally I feel it's a good achievement outselling desktops. One thing for sure is laptops are more people now upgrading from XP/Vista however Apple can create a yearly cycle of people updating the Ipad.

Maybe thats what you should have said, not used an incorrect quotation. But I agree, the achievement is a good one.
    No point in trying to deflect off Apples impressive sales figures. The Android stands at electrical stores are always empty for the obvious reason that they are poor. I believe HP gave up there tablet production wouldn't be surprised if Playbook is next as it's been a fail.

As I said in an earlier quote, I am likely to go Ipad despite being an Android fan. I have found nothing hardwarewise on the Ipad which matches the Galaxy 10.1 or Transformer Prime, but an Ipad will be okay for the day to day things I want to do. Unfortunately, only Ipad has a decent presentation App and a VGA out option, which I need. Aside from that, I'd be staying on Android. The tablets are far from poor, its the add-ons where Ipad clinchs it.
    I expect it to be Galaxy Tab vs Ipad for years to come with The Kindle filling a niche market for cheap tablets.

If the only Android tablet was the Galaxy (or Nexus Tablet, or whatever) the add-on market could focus and would grow quickly; sadly, I cannot wait, so I am heading to the dark side.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe thats what you should have said, not used an incorrect quotation. But I agree, the achievement is a good one.

As I said in an earlier quote, I am likely to go Ipad despite being an Android fan. I have found nothing hardwarewise on the Ipad which matches the Galaxy 10.1 or Transformer Prime, but an Ipad will be okay for the day to day things I want to do. Unfortunately, only Ipad has a decent presentation App and a VGA out option, which I need. Aside from that, I'd be staying on Android. The tablets are far from poor, its the add-ons where Ipad clinchs it.

If the only Android tablet was the Galaxy (or Nexus Tablet, or whatever) the add-on market could focus and would grow quickly; sadly, I cannot wait, so I am heading to the dark side.

Perhaps an Android phone and Ipad tablet is the best solution. Certainly for speed and usability IOS is still best despite it missing some niche features. I have wiglet things on windows 7 but don't really see much purpose for them. hey added notifications to the IOS5 but it's pretty hopeless and annoying when I get pointless notifications.
  • Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Perhaps an Android phone and Ipad tablet is the best solution. Certainly for speed and usability IOS is still best despite it missing some niche features. I have wiglet things on windows 7 but don't really see much purpose for them. hey added notifications to the IOS5 but it's pretty hopeless and annoying when I get pointless notifications.

I don't think so. iOS always freezes and crashes and there is no reassuring way to close an app without turning the phone off. Android and Windows Phone are faster and smoother in that respect. Plus Widgets and Live Tiles make both those OS far more usable and accessible than iOS where you have to go looking for things in endless menus....
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Perhaps an Android phone and Ipad tablet is the best solution.

Exactly my intention. ta
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zack06 wrote: »
    I don't think so. iOS always freezes and crashes and there is no reassuring way to close an app without turning the phone off. Android and Windows Phone are faster and smoother in that respect. Plus Widgets and Live Tiles make both those OS far more usable and accessible than iOS where you have to go looking for things in endless menus....

Not what I've found. Well I did have some Safari crashes on ipad 2 with IOS 4 at launch but it was later fixed in IOS5. Always found it reliable. And the Samsung Galaxy I feel like I'm touching a screen but for me Iphone feels swift and I don't think I could go back to buttons. But not impressed by other screens so far.
  • Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not what I've found. Well I did have some Safari crashes on ipad 2 with IOS 4 at launch but it was later fixed in IOS5. Always found it reliable. And the Samsung Galaxy I feel like I'm touching a screen but for me Iphone feels swift and I don't think I could go back to buttons. But not impressed by other screens so far.

My Galaxy Nexus has no physical front buttons at all so I don't think I could go back to buttons either, and most newer Android tablets don't have front buttons as such either...I just find Android 4.0 far more intuitive and fluid to use and at least multitasking and the notification area works better than on iOS....plus the 720p resolution of the GN may help a bit...nicer to look at than the 4S screen imo. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why would people not want to be able to view wonderful flash websites like these on a tablet? There are many sites like this, informative, beautiful, creative and functional. See when I am browsing and I come across a site, I want to be able to view it, as it was intended. We keep hearing flash is dead flash is dead, but people are still making sites in flash. Flash is still a web standard and there is a lot of existing content. If I forked out the same amount of money as a pc would cost for an ipad i would EXPECT to be able to play all web content.

What Apple did was so very wrong on many levels, punishing the web authors who have used flash and the customers who have spent good money on their device. I know a lot of you keep making excuses for them and may not even care but those of us who are cerebral and conscious enough, will feel hard done by if we could not get the most out of the web from a 2012 piece of hardware. It's just criminal.

Flash will die, but not right away. It will still be around for the next ipad as it was for the last 3, yet we've been constantly told flash is dead from the Apple faithful. I'm sorry but there is plenty justification for having flash support on a tablet.

http://waterlife.nfb.ca/
    http://www.marcecko.com/#/

Both run PERFECTLY on my playbook!
  • GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Flash is a proprietary format, it is not a web standard.

Adobe have said that they are focusing on HTML5 which is a web standard. When new devices come out that don't have flash they will never get it.

P.S. the websites you posted played on my iPad using another browser such as puffin.
  • GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Zack06 wrote: »

That's just plain wrong, I have been using iOS for 4 years and have yet to have the system crash despite using it heavily every day with hundreds of apps.

The odd app crashes as with every OS but all you do is double click the home button and shut it down.
  • pocatellopocatello Posts: 8,813
    Forum Member
    IvanIV wrote: »
    Maybe people just prefer ordering online now? I always thought it a bit desperate and sad to be queuing for anything.

They didn't let people line up for them this year I think, encouraged people to order online.
  • pocatellopocatello Posts: 8,813
    Forum Member
    slick1two wrote: »
    Why would people not want to be able to view wonderful flash websites like these on a tablet? There are many sites like this, informative, beautiful, creative and functional. See when I am browsing and I come across a site, I want to be able to view it, as it was intended. We keep hearing flash is dead flash is dead, but people are still making sites in flash. Flash is still a web standard and there is a lot of existing content. If I forked out the same amount of money as a pc would cost for an ipad i would EXPECT to be able to play all web content.

What Apple did was so very wrong on many levels, punishing the web authors who have used flash and the customers who have spent good money on their device. I know a lot of you keep making excuses for them and may not even care but those of us who are cerebral and conscious enough, will feel hard done by if we could not get the most out of the web from a 2012 piece of hardware. It's just criminal.

Flash will die, but not right away. It will still be around for the next ipad as it was for the last 3, yet we've been constantly told flash is dead from the Apple faithful. I'm sorry but there is plenty justification for having flash support on a tablet.

http://waterlife.nfb.ca/
    http://www.marcecko.com/#/

Both run PERFECTLY on my playbook!

You mourning flash?

Lol, good riddance, apple gave it a good kick and saved us more suffering.