Options

Driving Test Tips

21stCenturyBoy21stCenturyBoy Posts: 44,506
Forum Member
Hi all,

I've been learning to drive since my 17th birthday in February 2009 and now, 3 years later, I'm about to take my first test (long story- first instructor used me as a cash cow, second moved to Spain halfway through instructing me and 3rd, who I'm with now, had to basically rebuild all of my confidence in my own ability!)

My test is next Monday, and although I'm not too nervous, the desire I have for me to be able to go out in a car, on my own, and not have to rely on friends, family or public transport is so overwhelming! Coupled with that, I go back to Uni in September so won't be so easily able to have lessons/ re-tests and also my theory runs out in December (:o)- so I'm pretty desperate to pass!

It's my first test as I had to cancel one earlier in the year due to weather conditions, so it's kind of virgin territory for me!

I had my last mock test yesterday and passed with 8 minors (which although not great, I'll more than take on the day!) so am feeling quietly confident for my test!

Just wondered if anyone had any advice or experiences from their own tests (both passes and not-quite-passes) and wanted to share them.

N.B- I did trawl the thread to see if I could bump another but the most recent one had the OP scared of killing and maiming other road users during the test and I didn't want to jinx myself!

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,348
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just try to be relaxed and focused basically..a lot of mistakes are made through nerves, things that you know you can do can start to go wrong if you're nervous
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Seren13 wrote: »
    Just try to be relaxed and focused basically..a lot of mistakes are made through nerves, things that you know you can do can start to go wrong if you're nervous

Thanks- I'll use a breathing exercise I think to rationalise my thinking. The worst way to fail would be through a mistake I could easily have avoided!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It sounds like you have a good outlook about it, and you're obviously ready if you passed the mock test (8 minors is probably about average!). Nerves are the hardest thing to control (and a learner driver's worst enemy) and you sound confident.

Best just to keep the pressure on yourself in check. Yeah, it'll be inconvenient if you fail, but it will be far from the end of the world - may even be possible to book the next one to take place before you go back to uni.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,348
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks- I'll use a breathing exercise I think to rationalise my thinking. The worst way to fail would be through a mistake I could easily have avoided!

Exactly, you'll be really annoyed with yourself and one silly mistake can panic you and make everything go wrong

You wouldn't be taking your test if your instructor didn't think you were ready so just relax and try not to be nervous.

Good luck and let us know how you got on :)
  • Options
    SupercellSupercell Posts: 5,079
    Forum Member
    Mirrors, mirrors, mirrors....and try to stay calm, if you think you have failed part way through don't just give up keep trying just in case you haven't.

Remember even if you do fail no one will die, you can just take another one but you go in with a bit more knowledge of what a test is like.
  • Options
    oscardelahoyaoscardelahoya Posts: 4,902
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't rush was the best bit of advice I got from my instructor. For some reason when my test started all my nerves disappeared, I think it was because I was concentrating on doing everything right I didn't have time to think about anything else. It was much less scary than I thought it was going to be!
  • Options
    CitySlickerCitySlicker Posts: 10,414
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Try not to kill anyone, that's a good start.

Seriously, I remember my instructor giving me some good tips. Firstly look for any markings on the car that will help with manoeuvres. There was a dealership sticker on the rear window of the car that I used to line up with parts of the kerb when reversing round a corner. The thing is in the real world you'll never reverse around a corner in the same way as you do on a test.

Then check your mirrors. I mean really heavily check your mirrors. I received a minor point on my test for not checking the mirrors as I was accelerating. And don't look in the mirror as you would normally with a glance, but pretend you're a meerkat. Make it obvious to the instructor. So long as you're not taking your focus off the road ahead for more than a split second at a time you can't really check the mirrors enough.

Make progress. You can be failed on hesitating and I got a minor point for this too. I was at a set of lights and they had just flicked to amber. I could have made it across if I put my foot down and I started to rev, then I thought hold on best try to stop actually so instead I had a sudden halt. The tester said I should have gone through.

Most important bit. Passing a driving test means you're safe enough to drive on the road unsupervised. It doesn't give you any experience. All your experience starts at this point and that's how you build up your skills. I remember the first time I drove at night in heavy rain, that was an experience. Then weeks later it was drifting snow on an unlit country road, that was almost hypnotic with full beams on. Take your time and you'll become an excellent driver.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thank you for your advice everyone- nice to know most people go in feeling the same things. It may be my first time but I have been learning for three years so im not your typical first timer!
  • Options
    AJ WheelsAJ Wheels Posts: 2,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Confidence! Nail that test!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    AJ Wheels wrote: »
    Confidence! Nail that test!

Thanks!

(Appropriate username, also :D!)
  • Options
    AJ WheelsAJ Wheels Posts: 2,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lol

I passed mine first time last month, in torrential rain, and it was weird but i wasn't nervous for some reason. I just had belief that i could do it, and i know you can do it too. Confidence, not cockyness, and remember to come on here afterwards to give us the good news you ARE going to get.

Here is a tip:

On your maneouveur (sp), take.your.time. There is no extra points or marks for speeding through your reverse round corner, just go at your comfortable pace whether that be a slow speed, or a creeping snails pace. I went slow, and that was perfect for me.
  • Options
    Sharon87Sharon87 Posts: 3,698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Key to driving test - just pretend you're out driving by yourself with someone giving you instructions where you go.

Also if you have to redo your manoeuvre don't panic like I did. Ok so you have a minor for manoeuvre, but take a deep breath and check your mirrors and blind spot. I missed the blind spot when I had to redo my reverse park, luckily no cars were coming down, otherwise it could have been a major.

I had a song in my head when I was driving on the independent part of my test, calmed me down a bit.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 112
    Forum Member
    Relax, if possible! I failed my first test, the examiner actually made me pull over after about 5 minutes and told me to calm down! I failed as I sort of forgot to stop at a junction, examiner had to put his brakes on - game over! As others have said, take your time, use your mirrors as much as is humanly possible. If you are unsure of anything - ask! The examiner I had was wonderful. By the way, I passed on my second attempt. If the worst should happen and you don't pass (I'm sure that won't be the case) please don't feel it is the end of the world. You are putting a lot of pressure on yourself. There will be other chances and you can retake the next week if you feel able to. Good luck!
  • Options
    CitySlickerCitySlicker Posts: 10,414
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've remembered - I was told 'drive as if you're chauffeuring a celebrity or someone important', that was a good tip.
  • Options
    missyaliciamissyalicia Posts: 2,068
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Try not to be too nervous. You have a lot of road experience, so be confident.

Take your time when doing your maneouvres. That way you can correct any little mistakes before they become big mistakes.

Good luck!
  • Options
    blueisthecolourblueisthecolour Posts: 20,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My biggest piece of advice is to understand that the test is designed to see if you can drive safely, not perfectly. I never quite got that when I was learning; so I was always panicking about making mistakes when actually you can do a lot wrong and still pass as long as it's nothing dangerous. That should help keep you relaxed.

Learning to drive was the worse thing i've ever had to do and my test is the one thing I would never want to retake. Took me 6 times before I could pass - and even then I was a very bad driver. 5 years of practice and i'm now a lot better - though I still can't park for toffee.
  • Options
    oscardelahoyaoscardelahoya Posts: 4,902
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My biggest piece of advice is to understand that the test is designed to see if you can drive safely, not perfectly. I never quite got that when I was learning; so I was always panicking about making mistakes when actually you can do a lot wrong and still pass as long as it's nothing dangerous. That should help keep you relaxed.

Learning to drive was the worse thing i've ever had to do and my test is the one thing I would never want to retake. Took me 6 times before I could pass - and even then I was a very bad driver. 5 years of practice and i'm now a lot better - though I still can't park for toffee.

To add to this, if you find yourself in the wrong lane approaching a roundabout or junction, just go the wrong way unless it's totally safe to change lanes. They will give you new directions to get you back on the right track and you won't get a minor for missing the directions, whereas you could risk a serious or dangerous if you make a last minute panic change without looking properly.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thanks for the tips everyone- I especially liked blueisthecolour's point. They're looking for safety, not perfection!
  • Options
    wwillattwwillatt Posts: 1,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I passed about 6 weeks ago my advice would be to firstly make sure your constantly checking your mirrors so they can tell. Especially when stopped and restarting, remember the full check!

Other than that the most important bit of advice is dont take any risks, if at a junction and not sure you can go, dont, they wont fail you for waiting they will if you go and anyone in the road your turning into has to break in anyway. They are only checking you can drive safely, they arent trying to trip you up in anyway. If your safe you will pass.

Oh and the independent drive thing, dont worry about it, i went the wrong way twice, as long as your in the right lanes and drive correctly it doesnt matter, they arent testing whether you can get to the place they say to goto, rather that you continue to drive safely when having to concentrate on looking at road signs.

And finally the best bit of advice ive heard, speed limits are exactly that, limits, not targets. Oh and good luck, hope you pass!
  • Options
    HazzaGrazzaHazzaGrazza Posts: 2,134
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My instructor told me to eat bananas before my test. I ate 4 bananas and was as calm as a cucumber, passed first time.
  • Options
    Central cakeCentral cake Posts: 5,625
    Forum Member
    I had a real good examiner. Spoke to me like a mate down the pub would (Obviously with directions)

Just imagine your in a car with a mate. That's what I did. Passed with two minors first time.
  • Options
    sunnymegsunnymeg Posts: 1,312
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you have a chance, go down to the test centre on Sunday and familiarise yourself with the area. When I took my test, the first thing I had to do was reverse back into a parking bay before driving off anywhere. Luckily I had already been down there and practised a couple of times, so it didn't throw me as much as it could have done. Don't go on a Saturday as they may be conducting tests and you'd only get in the way.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 511
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I failed several times, which I put down to exhaustion doing an hours lesson beforehand and then straight into the test. The last time (when obviously I past), I asked the tutor to cut the pre-test session short by 15 minutes and went to the local spar by the test centre and just had a drink to unwind before the test.

Horses for courses, but it helped me immensely - That test was the first time I ever enjoyed driving.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thanks guys!

I have my last lesson today before my test- I'm going to the test centre just to familiarize myself, and then going to run through all my maneuvers!
  • Options
    Bedsit BobBedsit Bob Posts: 24,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't crash.