Options

Just had lovefilm salesmen at the door

shaggy_xshaggy_x Posts: 3,599
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I told the two kids 'not interested' and they kept saying can you give us your first name so we can cross you off our list? I found that a bit weird and told them to cross my house number off the list. Anyway I didn't tell him my name and they went away.

Strange sales tactics and from amazon of all companies. I didn't think they needed to resort to pushy door to door sales men to sell their products.

Are they really that scared of Netflix?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We had one of those round just after Christmas, I found it weird too. I don't associate door-to-door salesmen with big companies like that.
  • Options
    LyricalisLyricalis Posts: 57,958
    Forum Member
    Did they show any ID? I wouldn't have thought that a website would bother with door-to-door sales like this.
  • Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    Just don't open the door. Much easier.
  • Options
    shaggy_xshaggy_x Posts: 3,599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lyricalis wrote: »
    Did they show any ID? I wouldn't have thought that a website would bother with door-to-door sales like this.

Come to think of it they didn't. I wasn't in a talkative mood or to listen to salesmen on a quiet Saturday afternoon so quickly got them to go away.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,133
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not surprising from Amazon , who give people the hard sell to say the least . Their policy is to bombard the customer with suggestions and offers. Cross selling and upselling are their main focus . They pay their warehouse staff peanuts and treat them like theiving scum. I know this from personal experience.
    You even have to pay extra to remove adverts from a Kindle Fire HD .
    :(

Door to door sales and shopping centre harrasment are on their hit list nowadays
  • Options
    cjsmummycjsmummy Posts: 11,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's ridiculous! Hell mend them if they come to my door..:o
  • Options
    TCD1975TCD1975 Posts: 3,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had one turn up and my door the other day. The door got slammed in his face.
  • Options
    NerdyMageeNerdyMagee Posts: 127
    Forum Member
    They're always bugging people around town. I just tell them I'm 17 instead of 18, otherwise you never get them off your back.
  • Options
    AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I heard one going around here last weekend. I thought it was a strange marketing tactic. Why would you push an online service by foot?

Anyway I ignored him when he knocked on my door.
  • Options
    November_RainNovember_Rain Posts: 9,145
    Forum Member
    NerdyMagee wrote: »
    They're always bugging people around town. I just tell them I'm 17 instead of 18, otherwise you never get them off your back.

They're always bothering people around our town too. I either just ignore them or pretend I'm off somewhere in a hurry.

Not sure I could pass for 17 now though. :(
  • Options
    tortfeasortortfeasor Posts: 7,000
    Forum Member
    A young lady called around to my Mother's house late last year on a Saturday afternoon. I was spending the afternoon there and answered the door; the young lady was one of lovefilm's door selling agents. Mum had not long bought two kittens and they were running around the hallway. The lady made a big thing about how adorable looking they were and asked if she could she stroke them etc.

Call me cynical but I saw it as a way of ingratiating yourself.
    Mum didn't want to sign up. The lady then moved on to me. I listened to the offer and pointed out, "but surely if it's an online service, why would I not sign up online?" I wasn't too happy about putting my bank details into the sales agent's ipad, which she could lose or do something dodgy with.

I ended up declining the offer and then received a borderline 'well thank you for wasting my time' response. I seem to recall being told I was making a 'huge' mistake.

Given that I've not regretted making the choice since and have heard some less than enthusiastic comments about lovefilm since, I think she was full of herself.
  • Options
    Ivy RoseIvy Rose Posts: 318
    Forum Member
    I hate cold-callers of any kind. It's bad enough when they phone up but door-to-door is far worse.I find I really intrusive and they are often pushy. I tell them (politely) I'm not interested, in no uncertain terms.

I despise how they often manage to exploit the vulnerable. Those collecting for charity are particularly vile when it comes to this.
  • Options
    CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like a scam.
  • Options
    WinterLilyWinterLily Posts: 6,305
    Forum Member
    NerdyMagee wrote: »

I would tell them I am 17 too. However, at 56 I may not get away with it.......but you never know! Dream......:p
  • Options
    felixrexfelixrex Posts: 7,307
    Forum Member
    tortfeasor wrote: »
    A young lady called around to my Mother's house late last year on a Saturday afternoon. I was spending the afternoon there and answered the door; the young lady was one of lovefilm's door selling agents. Mum had not long bought two kittens and they were running around the hallway. The lady made a big thing about how adorable looking they were and asked if she could she stroke them etc.

Call me cynical but I saw it as a way of ingratiating yourself.
    Mum didn't want to sign up. The lady then moved on to me. I listened to the offer and pointed out, "but surely if it's an online service, why would I not sign up online?" I wasn't too happy about putting my bank details into the sales agent's ipad, which she could lose or do something dodgy with.

I ended up declining the offer and then received a borderline 'well thank you for wasting my time' response. I seem to recall being told I was making a 'huge' mistake.

Given that I've not regretted making the choice since and have heard some less than enthusiastic comments about lovefilm since, I think she was full of herself.

I actually had a really similar experience recently. I had two of them at my door a couple of months ago and I'd barely even looked at them before they'd managed to invite themselves into the hallway to 'get out of the snow', shoved an iPad into my hands and barraged me with facts about the service they were providing. When I answered the door the dogs followed me, along with one of my baby nieces, and the girl in the duo pretty much got herself into the house by fussing over the dogs and talking to my niece before quickly moving onto me. By the time she was finished I felt stupid suddenly saying "sorry I'm busy" so I just kind of went along with it until they asked me to fill in my details when I decided to tell them it wasn't my house to get them to sod off. They didn't look best pleased - I think they thought they were about to get their first sale of the month. Tough luck.

I really don't mind door-to-door salesmen but most of them do you the courtesy of a brief introduction about what they're selling and ask you whether or not you might be interested, at which point most of them leave without a problem once you say no. These two were in my hallway and bombarding me with details before I'd even had chance to find out what they were selling me, never mind tell them I wasn't interested.

Similarly to you, I found the way she fussed over the dogs and started interacting with my niece to be a way of 'ingratiating' herself to such a point that, once she'd moved onto giving me the hard-sell, I felt awkward just telling her I wasn't interested and asking them to leave. I don't think I even said a word to her until she'd been in the hallway for about five minutes. Very sneaky.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,415
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I always make a point of saying not interested to anyone who calls at my door no matter what they are trying to flog. I've even had one guy who was from an energy company stick his foot in the door so it would make it harder for me to shut. Bloody cheek.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TCD1975 wrote: »
    I had one turn up and my door the other day. The door got slammed in his face.

Aren't you lovely ;). He's just doing a job...
  • Options
    Ivy RoseIvy Rose Posts: 318
    Forum Member
    I always make a point of saying not interested to anyone who calls at my door no matter what they are trying to flog. I've even had one guy who was from an energy company stick his foot in the door so it would make it harder for me to shut. Bloody cheek.

I've noticed energy company people are among the worst for not taking no for an answer. Only charity collectors surpass them in terms of pushiness. Not even the JW's are anywhere near as bad. :mad:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It should be illegal for this sort of thing. It's intrusive.
  • Options
    The WizardThe Wizard Posts: 11,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ivy Rose wrote: »
    I hate cold-callers of any kind. It's bad enough when they phone up but door-to-door is far worse.I find I really intrusive and they are often pushy. I tell them (politely) I'm not interested, in no uncertain terms.

I despise how they often manage to exploit the vulnerable. Those collecting for charity are particularly vile when it comes to this.

We live in sheltered housing and a lot of my neighbours are elderly so we get a fair few chuggers and Npower salesmen round and I think it's disgusting seeing as a lot of people round here have a job to even walk to the door. I got one the other day collecting for St Luke's Hospice and said, 'this is a no cold calling area full of disabled and elderly now clear off!! :mad: He never even showed any i.d. I don't know where he went after that but by the time I'd gone back inside and looked out of the window he was nowhere to be seen.

I don't even bother trying to be polite anymore. You encourage one and the next they're all knocking on your door. OP get a sign up saying No Cold Callers, so if anyone does come round they haven't got any excuse for you not to give them a rollicking. Just point to the sign and say, 'what part of No Cold Calling can't you ****ing well understand? I find it works a treat and you never see them again.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cjsmummy wrote: »
    It should be illegal for this sort of thing. It's intrusive.

I find it hard to believe why someone hasn't passed a law against it. There can't be a single person in the country who likes cold callers. Even those who cold call don't like it happening to them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Wizard wrote: »
    I find it hard to believe why someone hasn't passed a law against it. There can't be a single person in the country who likes cold callers. Even those who cold call don't like it happening to them.

It's disgraceful. Some people works nights, or have napping babies/toddlers. To have your door knocked for no good reason is unfair.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ivy Rose wrote: »
    I've noticed energy company people are among the worst for not taking no for an answer. Only charity collectors surpass them in terms of pushiness. Not even the JW's are anywhere near as bad. :mad:

I agree, they annoy me when they don't listen when you politely tell them no thanks. They always seem to knock at an inconvenient time too :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cjsmummy wrote: »
    It's disgraceful. Some people works nights, or have napping babies/toddlers. To have your door knocked for no good reason is unfair.

Yes they always seem to do it around tea time or just as I'm putting by son to bed or even worse disturbing us while were trying to get him to sleep. Although to be honest no time is ever a good time for annoyances like that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Wizard wrote: »

I don't understand why they haven't either. You can have your phone number put on a list that stops unwanted calls, there should be one for your address too.