Options

Breaking up the United Kingdom

Comments

• Options
    Auld SnodyAuld Snody Posts: 15,171
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What gets me, is all this hoo-haa from English MPs and this massive No campaign.

Did they go through all this when India, Canada and all those nations in Africa decided they'd had enough of London rule?

Remember Rhodesia and UDI
  • Options
    MajlisMajlis Posts: 31,362
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What gets me, is all this hoo-haa from English MPs and this massive No campaign.

got a link for this massive 'hoo-haa' from English MP's, because the ones i follow rarely mention the subject and I would like to know who are really concerned about the issue?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    justatech wrote: »
    I think that if Scotland is going to become independent then there should be a rUK policy of bringing back into England, every single government job that is currently be done in Scotland. I will start by reclaiming the Student Loans Company currently based in Glasgow, but has an offshoot in Darlington. The whole organisation should be brought back into the UK.

Ditto the Navy bases currently in Scotland. We have ports in Whitehaven and Newcastle/Sunderland etc that could do the same job.Bring them home!

What about Wales and Northern Ireland, or don't they count.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Majlis wrote: »
    got a link for this massive 'hoo-haa' from English MP's, because the ones i follow rarely mention the subject and I would like to know who are really concerned about the issue?

Still trying to square that circle, I see.:D
  • Options
    Sun Tzu.Sun Tzu. Posts: 19,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If they want to go, let them. Unless David Cameron does an Abraham Lincoln and invade the place.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Auld Snody wrote: »
    Still trying to square that circle, I see.:D

Ah diversion - I can see where you get it from :D:D:D:D

And how is Mr Salmond?
  • Options
    jjwalesjjwales Posts: 48,572
    Forum Member
    I think that if Scotland is going to become independent then there should be a rUK policy of bringing back into England, every single government job that is currently be done in Scotland. I will start by reclaiming the Student Loans Company currently based in Glasgow, but has an offshoot in Darlington. The whole organisation should be brought back into the UK.
    I think it goes without saying that any government office in Scotland that deals with UK-wide matters would have to be relocated or split between Scotland and rUK.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ah diversion - I can see where you get it from :D:D:D:D

And how is Mr Salmond?

No just questioning your contradictory views:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No just questioning your contradictory views:D

I know that you never 'do' links - but how about a exception today?

Where are all these English MP's who are so bothered about Scottish Independence? - they can't be that hard to find surely? :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know that you never 'do' links - but how about a exception today?

Where are all these English MP's who are so bothered about Scottish Independence? - they can't be that hard to find surely? :confused:

I never mentioned that . Ask the person that did.:confused:
  • Options
    justatechjustatech Posts: 976
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What about Wales and Northern Ireland, or don't they count.

I'm happy for them to be just as independent as Scotland - and yes the same rules would apply.

To have English government jobs in a foreign country, while we have unemployment in England is completely unacceptable.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jjwales wrote: »
    I think it goes without saying that any government office in Scotland that deals with UK-wide matters would have to be relocated or split between Scotland and rUK.

Are you sure about that?

Because I can't see a hint in Scotland's policies of how they will replace the jobs that they lose as that work returns to England.

All I'm hearing is how Scotland will become a land of milk and honey and no mention of job losses because of organisations returning to England.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Are you sure about that?

Because I can't see a hint in Scotland's policies of how they will replace the jobs that they lose as that work returns to England.

All I'm hearing is how Scotland will become a land of milk and honey and no mention of job losses because of organisations returning to England.

Ho hum, the jobs will still have to be done in an independent country .
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm happy for them to be just as independent as Scotland - and yes the same rules would apply.

To have English government jobs in a foreign country, while we have unemployment in England is completely unacceptable.

What English government is this. The English have not had a government for 300 years
  • Options
    pickwickpickwick Posts: 25,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, that seems pretty obvious to me! Unless justatech thinks that Scotland has a massively disproportionate amount of UK government jobs, which I've never seen anyone claim before.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pickwick wrote: »
    Yeah, that seems pretty obvious to me! Unless justatech thinks that Scotland has a massively disproportionate amount of UK government jobs, which I've never seen anyone claim before.

I'm not claiming anything.

I'm simply saying that a government organisation dealing with English affairs, for example, the Student Loans company should be relocated to England. Is that simple enough for you?

Clearly that part of the Student Loans company that deals with Scottish students will remain in Scotland - to be paid for by them, of course.

And the same applies to any other such organisations. It's not rocket science you know.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What English government is this. The English have not had a government for 300 years

Semantics. In reality, Wales has an Assembly as does Northern Ireland and same for Scotland. So what else is the the government of England to be termed? Or is it racist for there to be an English Government?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Then those jobs which deal with Scottish people will be in organisations funded by themselves and not rUK. And they will have nothing to do with the same work being done for the population of rUK.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Semantics. In reality, Wales has an Assembly as does Northern Ireland and same for Scotland. So what else is the the government of England to be termed? Or is it racist for there to be an English Government?

There is no legal entity called the English government and there has not been for 300 years. Why do you think there is?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Then those jobs which deal with Scottish people will be in organisations funded by themselves and not rUK. And they will have nothing to do with the same work being done for the population of rUK.

So your point is!!!!!
  • Options
    pickwickpickwick Posts: 25,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not claiming anything.

I'm simply saying that a government organisation dealing with English affairs, for example, the Student Loans company should be relocated to England. Is that simple enough for you?

Clearly that part of the Student Loans company that deals with Scottish students will remain in Scotland - to be paid for by them, of course.

And the same applies to any other such organisations. It's not rocket science you know.
    Yes, but Scotland would only lose jobs by moving to only dealing with Scottish stuff if it has a disproportionate number of UK jobs just now. It's not rocket science.

In the case of the Student Loans Company, presumably some of the jobs in the Darlington and Llandudno offices that deal with people from Scotland would be relocated in the other direction, too...
  • Options
    PrinceOfDenmarkPrinceOfDenmark Posts: 2,761
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Annsyre wrote: »
    I am not sure of the answer to this conundrum. Sturgeon made me laugh today when she said that decisions about Scotland should only be made by Scottish people yet we have M.P.s in our Parliament from Scottish constituencies voting on and influencing English only business.

Being half English and half Scottish I have no strong views on the subject except that what Salmond and Sturgeon are saying does not add up.

Perhaps we should leave it to the Scots to govern themselves ENTIRELY and get rid of all M.P.s from Scottish constituencies in our Parliament and refuse to let them use the pound sterling as their national currency.

Wise words. Though you could have stopped at "Sturgeon made me laugh today" - that pretty much sums up every time she opens her mouth :D
  • Options
    Black SheepBlack Sheep Posts: 15,219
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    anndra_w wrote: »
    Lets not go down that road. Scotland is continually governed by parties the country has rejected time and time again at the polls. That really puts the issue of Scottish MP's into perspective.

Your Scottish half obviously hasn't made you less arrogant or anti-Scottish. England has no legal means to stop Scotland from using sterling and when you say our parliament in regard to England you forget that it is currently also the parliament of Britain of which Scotland is a part. Can we leave the imperial power mindset in the last century please?

Really? Since the war how many governments have been in power that Scotland didn't vote for?

Scotland used to be a conservative majority.

Since the war we have had

Labour 45-51
    Conservative 51-64
    Labour 64-70
    Conservative 70-74
    Labour 74-79
    Conservative 79-97
    Labour 97-10

Largest Scottish party represented in parliament

45-51 labour
    1951-59 conservative
    59-10 labour

I think if you look at the vote percentage it changes it a bit more in favour but I just counted MPs.

However it blows away your theory that Scotland is continually governed by parties not voted for. Actually, Scotland has been represented by a government it voted for quite a lot. Unless of course you have another meaning to continually? Only actually a couple of governments since 1945 have different to what Scotland voted for.

Oh and the SNP don't even feature until 1970, even today there are only 6 MPs from that party, hardly representative of Scotland?
  • Options
    anndra_wanndra_w Posts: 6,557
    Forum Member
    Really? Since the war how many governments have been in power that Scotland didn't vote for?

Scotland used to be a conservative majority.

Since the war we have had

Labour 45-51
    Conservative 51-64
    Labour 64-70
    Conservative 70-74
    Labour 74-79
    Conservative 79-97
    Labour 97-10

Largest Scottish party represented in parliament

45-51 labour
    1951-59 conservative
    59-10 labour

I think if you look at the vote percentage it changes it a bit more in favour but I just counted MPs.

However it blows away your theory that Scotland is continually governed by parties not voted for. Actually, Scotland has been represented by a government it voted for quite a lot. Unless of course you have another meaning to continually? Only actually a couple of governments since 1945 have different to what Scotland voted for.

Oh and the SNP don't even feature until 1970, even today there are only 6 MPs from that party, hardly representative of Scotland?

It doesn't blow anything away at all, the majority of the last 60 years Scotland has had government it voted against. I'm not an SNP supporter or voter so I don't know why you decide to bring them into it. The vast majority of my life has been spent being governed by governments the people of Scotland voted against. So no it's not only a couple of governments since 1945, it's not even a couple of governments since the 1970's and now even when we do get a Labour goverment it is a version of Labour that has abandoned the principles it stood for in order to win votes from voters in the South of England, you know, the voters who count.
  • Options
    TimCypherTimCypher Posts: 9,052
    Forum Member
    anndra_w wrote: »
    It doesn't blow anything away at all, the majority of the last 60 years Scotland has had government it voted against. I'm not an SNP supporter or voter so I don't know why you decide to bring them into it. The vast majority of my life has been spent being governed by governments the people of Scotland voted against. So no it's not only a couple of governments since 1945, it's not even a couple of governments since the 1970's and now even when we do get a Labour goverment it is a version of Labour that has abandoned the principles it stood for in order to win votes from voters in the South of England, you know, the voters who count.

Indeed - I'm a big fan of local government. In my view, government always works best when it as close as possible to the people who it is meant to represent. Against that background, I can totally see how Westminster politics seems absolutely alien to the voting patterns of the Scottish people. As if it wasn't enough to the people of England! ;)

The 2014 vote will be interesting for sure; if it doesn't go the route of 'full independence', it's perfectly right and proper that further tax & spending powers should be ceded to the Scottish Parliament..with the proviso that such powers covers only what Scotland is producing.

Regards,

Cypher