Options

[US] Survivor 28: Cagayan - Brains vs Brawns vs Beauty

Comments

• Options
    chrono88chrono88 Posts: 3,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OMG YES Survivor is BACK! YES RI is GONE (Bye, don't come back)! And ALL NEW CASTAWAYS! *confetti*

And I think we can all agree this is the BEST Survivor premiere in recent years (probably the last 10 seasons). Being a 2-hour episode also helps. That brains tribe is just a hilarious hot mess (J'TIA :haha: How can she survive after blatantly sabotaging the tribe? SURREAL)

I am also happy about how the minorities are portrayed. Cliff sounds like a really nice guy, so does Woo; Tasha sounds like Sabrina and Brice is a hilarious person, I can tell.

Sad to see Garrett get ousted with II but who could see this coming? 2 epic blindsides in a row...(DEAD at Spencer saying J'Tia being a nuclear scientist is worrying)

Now J'Tia is gonna hate herself throwing the rice in the fire
  • Options
    RenThrayskRenThraysk Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Brains... how bad a start can you possibly get!?

Lost their hidden immunity idol too... so sitting ducks for the merge already.

Nuclear engineer... hope she's just in a production line making fire alarms or something, and not near something serious. Crumbled with the slightest amount of pressure.

Not sure about having the double eviction episode though, after watching Big Brother South Africa Champions. They just dedicated a whole lot more time covering the social game play, and the normal episode length is over 65 minutes without ads. Get a much better view into the skulduggery.
  • Options
    bananaman_007bananaman_007 Posts: 8,707
    Forum Member
    Really fantastic first episode. You think after Brandon the producers would check to see if they had any crazy people before casting. Just as well for the viewers they did not do a good job as we have J'Tia. Everything i love about a Survivor player. Mouthy, rubbish in challenges, unpredictable. It was stupid dumping the rice out, but that one will come back to bite her in the bum and hey i don't have to live with her, she will certainly make the season watchable.

I am glad that we saw the back of Garrett, could not have had another season of somebody whinging that they did not want to be there then quitting half way through it was bad enough with Colton. The best part of his vote out? He had an immunity idol.

I have taken an instant dislike to the bloke on the beauties tribe Jeremiah i think he is called. I could not stand JT and this guy is going to get on my nerves just as much.
  • Options
    plateletplatelet Posts: 26,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So no redemption island, all newbies and a couple of blindsides. Sweet. I like the smaller / three way tribes as well. Makes it much easier to get to know people at the start.

When they introduced the "brains" with They have an average IQ of 130 - I thought, is that all? According to wikipedia 95% of the population are within a range of 70 to 130 so if there's a genuine genius in the bunch there must be one or two idiots. I think I may have been expecting too much genius wise :)

As for the "Nuclear engineer" - isn't that Homer Simpson's job?
  • Options
    RenThrayskRenThraysk Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    platelet wrote: »

LOL :D
  • Options
    ChipPaperChipPaper Posts: 18,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is definitely a great start, and reading the other posts, it looks like Cagayan is actually pronounced 'cluster****' :p J'Tia is a hot mess and I love her, and I love Kass too (didn't see her flipping AT ALL :o). I do feel bad for Spencer though, because I do actually like him but it looks like he could be going if Brains lose again, but then nothing is certain with these guys (evidently :D). I'm actually hoping Brains do manage to stay safe because I like all four of them, and like what they all bring.

Liking the Beauty tribe a lot more than I thought I would, and they're far more competent than I expected (though they only won the second challenge due to J'Tia's INcompetence). I would say that of the three tribes, the Beauty tribe is the least good-looking, which is kinda ironic. I get the feeling casting wanted Brice, and couldn't justify putting him on Brains or Brawn. Morgan's my fave on that tribe, best looking for sure and some pretty quick-thinking on her part. Her and Brice are a good team, and Alexis and LJ seem OK. Not too hot on Jefra or Jeremiah at the moment.

Haven't seen all that much from Brawn. Liking Trish the most (and not liking Lindsey much at all). Tony looks like he could be the potential villain and Woo, Cliff and Sarah seem pretty good too. We'll probably see more of them later (I hope).

Definitely one of the best premiere episodes ever, and two AMAZING blindsides, and I love that J'Tia is still there (hopefully, so will the other three "Brains" be there). And even though I don't have a problem with returnees per se, it's a great change to see all newbies, especially the ones that bring the crazy :D
  • Options
    TigerpawsTigerpaws Posts: 11,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    RenThraysk wrote: »
    Nuclear engineer... hope she's just in a production line making fire alarms or something, and not near something serious. Crumbled with the slightest amount of pressure.

Scarily she's in a far more serious job - http://www.anl.gov/articles/j-tia-taylor
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tigerpaws wrote: »
    Scarily she's in a far more serious job - http://www.anl.gov/articles/j-tia-taylor

Oh I'm sure she's perfectly suited for that role:

Can we sell these weapons of mass destruction components to Iraq?

Yeah, looks harmless to me

:D
  • Options
    dylanpartyondylanpartyon Posts: 11,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just watched and yes. That was just a brilliant debut. Both eliminations were brilliant, but the later may become a classic. J'Tia, is already a standout, for being so wrong, yet just being right. And Garrett deserved what he got. He started out so strong in the first part. Up until that "group meeting" I thought he was like front runner. But what was he doing then. It was just so stupid everything he did.

Anyways, I did worry at the start of the season, that Brains were gonna struggle as really they looked so weak. But the fact the lost because of a puzzle made me smile alot. I do love the brains tribe though. Probably because we have seen so much of them, but I think they're all very interesting. And pre-season they were my least favourite tribe.

Of the other two tribes, I prefer Beauty. But I think mainly because I really like what I've seen of Brice and Morgan (And kinda Jeremiah). I feel like LJ is gonna grow on me soon, and Im not sure about the other two girls yet.

The Brawn is completely 50/50. I am really liking Sarah, Cliff and Woo. But the other three, particularly Lindsey and Tony, I feel will really annoy me.

But yeah a really strong start. The challenges were good (Although I feel they were two similar. One was just in water). The tribals were great. Jeff was really good, I sometimes find him annoying at tribal, but he was great at the second tribal haha.

So I am very much looking forward to this series. After going from its worst (Nicaragua to One World), to alright (Caramoan and Blood Vs Water) with only one really stand out series since Heroes Vs Villains (that being Philippines). This feels like its gonna be a classic, Im excited... I hope it stays at this standard!!!
  • Options
    Gwaed WaedlydGwaed Waedlyd Posts: 5,401
    Forum Member
    Thank **** it was good, NEWBIES rule.
  • Options
    starrystarry Posts: 12,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wow, liked the premiere. Some interesting characters already. And the gameplay has fully begun, despite some talk about doing 'what the tribe wants'.

Jeff stirred things up well at the second tribal council, and we have players who put their foot in it, which always makes for good reality TV.

Only annoyance with Jeff was a silly comment (which he can be prone to make of course) after the first twist. He made it out that it was strange someone going after someone who had helped make them the leader of their tribe. As being made a leader puts a target on you his remark made absolutely no sense whatsoever.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Was it me, or was Probst really obnoxious during that first challenge re his comments to the Brains tribe? I know he's always commentated the action, and this includes , I guess, ribbing the losing tribe/competitor etc, but this time he just seemed really OTT with it. Maybe it's just because it's been a while since I've seen it last, but I really started to find him annoying and overbearing; I think over the years he's gotten more and more arrogant. I mean the fact is Survivor's not Survivor without him, he's too integral a part of the show, but he clearly knows it and he's overstepping his mark sometimes because he can.

It's not 'The Jeff Probst Show', I don't watch it for him, he needs to step back.
  • Options
    meglosmurmursmeglosmurmurs Posts: 35,109
    Forum Member
    Jeff does get on my tits but sometimes I think he's just trying to sell whatever's happening to the audience, like 'oh my god this thing that is happening is unbelievable, pay attention right now, viewers!!!', so he has to exaggerate everything as much as possible.

Two moments that really made me laugh during this episode was at the first TC when Jeff asked if anyone wanted to play the hidden immunity idol and Garrett coughed like he was some sort of smooth operator and Spencer turned around thinking 'errr wtf'.
    Plus I lost a bit of respect for Lindsay when she was mocking Trish, but when she referred to Trish as Malnu-trisha, I laughed.

I like that the eliminations had a moral lesson about them - 1) don't play for day 39 when you're nowhere near it, and 2) don't try denying other people having a strategy as they will just end up lashing out at you and vote you out if only to prove their own independence.
    Although this episode also teaches you that you can flop in two challenges, throw your tribe's rice in the fire and still not be voted out. I wouldn't recommend too many people trying that tactic though.
  • Options
    starrystarry Posts: 12,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pay attention right now, viewers!!!'

Pretty typical American approach to the audience on reality shows unfortunately. That's why on shows (maybe not so much on Survivor ironically) you sometimes see the same point being made several times by different people so the sleepier of the audience don't miss it.

But on the flip side they can be good at putting across the big event, contestants and the drama without having a presenter get in the way that much (normally). And Survivor is generally one of the best edited shows, as I thought this premiere showed. I was actually surprised by both results at tribal council, which is good. As much as I have loved The Amazing Race (not so much these days, but still looking forward) the editing is far more predictable there.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mitch 123 wrote: »
    I am going to be the first to say it. BEST SEASON EVER.

Wow just wow, I love the cluster **** that is the brains tribe. They are all really great complex interesting characters. This is why we should always go with all newbies, the returnees would have prevented this from happening in a second.

My early favourites have to be LJ, Sarah, Tasha, Brice and Morgan.
    OMG I loved it. What a great start.
    I'm so happy that RI is no more. Let's hope the PTB forget about it for ever. I'm even happier that it's all newbies. Great cast but how the hell is J'Tia still there? She's like Phillip though and would make finals gold. :p Deducing that from the first episode, maybe a tad too soon.
    I was completely bamboozled by the first two oustings which made it even more enjoyable. I was going to root for the Brains lot, but it just goes to show that book learning doesn't make you life smart. Brains were a hot mess.
    I'm with the Brawn lot at the moment. Loving Cliff and his wingman Woo, and also Brice.
    I'm also impressed that I can identify their names after just the premiere. It usually takes me ages to get it right.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But this seasons is gonna be short isn't it? 16 left after 1st week with no RI...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chrono88 wrote: »
    But this seasons is gonna be short isn't it? 16 left after 1st week with no RI...

Not necessarily. The first few seasons only started with 16 and ran for 13 episodes, and if my maths is correct, and there's a final 3 (meaning the last episode will have 5 people) that mean there's 11 people to go between now and the final, one an ep = 11 eps, giving us 13 overall (I think), which is a standard season run.

ETA - Just checked, and the most recent seasons had 14 eps instead of 13. Maybe this season will too and it means we'll be getting a final 4 instead of 5, meaning, ultimately, a final 2 and not 3 *crosses fingers*.
  • Options
    bananaman_007bananaman_007 Posts: 8,707
    Forum Member
    Sadly i hear the mid season recap is back to bump the episode numbers up with a standard final 5 at the end.
  • Options
    RedmondRedmond Posts: 19,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Did you listen to Corinne on Rob Has A Podcast? ;-)

Glad the premiere is getting such positive feedback. It had a slight ratings bump over the previous season too, proving that it doesn't take returnees to bump a rating. I really hope it continues to do well and it'll surely mean more all newbie seasons in the future.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Didn't Jeff P hate all-newbies season? He got it wrong
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Compared to his love of the Redemption Island concept, that's just a minor faux pas
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am so in love with this season, I cannot wait until Wednesday for Episode 2.

Apparently Season 29 will be all newbies again, but with the BvW twist. Season 30 is some sort of Survivor Legends season.
  • Options
    ItsTotesSoFluffItsTotesSoFluff Posts: 2,667
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I loved the first episode, amazing start. I think Brawn is my favourite tribe over all :D I'm glad its not just full of the typical meatheads.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Compared to his love of the Redemption Island concept, that's just a minor faux pas

Jeff seems to be clueless as to what fans really want. It was his idea to bring back Philip Shepard and Brandon Hantz for Caramoan for starters. He really does have bad taste.

He also says Boston Rob is the greatest player ever :confused: Newsflash: if it takes you FOUR times to win, and casting has to fill the island with some of the worst players ever on your last go to enable you, you are not a good player. End of.

Strictly speaking, Sandra's the best player ever. 100% success rate (though it should have been Parvati who won HvV), yet Probst never seems to give props to female players as much as male players. I think Tina is the only female Probst openly praises for her game.
  • Options
    Gwaed WaedlydGwaed Waedlyd Posts: 5,401
    Forum Member
    You can tell if a man wins the season if Jeff drools pre season how amazing it is.