Options

Hayley Cropper - most depressing storyline ever?

2»

Comments

• Options
    MrWoodySirMrWoodySir Posts: 8,480
    Forum Member
    I'm struggling to see what people expected.
  • Options
    sconescone Posts: 14,850
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I dont see julie hesmondalgh as a good actress she is very hammy. Her onscreen husband however is great.

Im glad shes left the soap possibly never to be seen again.

The funeral was very self important and who were all those extras?
  • Options
    AndreaMCAndreaMC Posts: 3,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    scone wrote: »
    I dont see julie hesmondalgh as a good actress she is very hammy. Her onscreen husband however is great.

Im glad shes left the soap possibly never to be seen again.

The funeral was very self important and who were all those extras?

God I love you Scone, you're one of my fav voices of reason on here.:)and you know it!

I liked Hayley for taking in and caring for the strays like Becky.Fiz etc but apart from that I never really warmed to the character tbh. She always seemed quite fey and a bit touched really.
    The constant laughing at next to nothing did my head in as well.But I guess I'm just evil or something, because you don't seem to have to opportunity to dislike old Hayley by popular consensus.
    Take the funeral for instance and all the regulars commenting about how lovely she was in her pictures and how wonderful she was. Fawning, gushing, MUCH? I just don't believe someone like Steve would normally make a comment like that about Hayley or anyone for that matter. It was so sycophantic it actually made me sick. And what was that with all the women carrying the coffin? Sexism or what? I'm not saying they haven't the right to do it but when everythings done for effect it loses the poignancy of the situation to me. Instead of finding it moving I found the funeral and service to be more like some political broadcast.

And why the hell wasn't Tracey there?:D
  • Options
    Janet PlankJanet Plank Posts: 10,253
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    AndreaMC wrote: »
    God I love you Scone, you're one of my fav voices of reason on here.:)and you know it!

I liked Hayley for taking in and caring for the strays like Becky.Fiz etc but apart from that I never really warmed to the character tbh. She always seemed quite fey and a bit touched really.
    The constant laughing at next to nothing did my head in as well.But I guess I'm just evil or something, because you don't seem to have to opportunity to dislike old Hayley by popular consensus.
    Take the funeral for instance and all the regulars commenting about how lovely she was in her pictures and how wonderful she was. Fawning, gushing, MUCH? I just don't believe someone like Steve would normally make a comment like that about Hayley or anyone for that matter. It was so sycophantic it actually made me sick. And what was that with all the women carrying the coffin? Sexism or what? I'm not saying they haven't the right to do it but when everythings done for effect it loses the poignancy of the situation to me. Instead of finding it moving I found the funeral and service to be more like some political broadcast.

And why the hell wasn't Tracey there?:D[/QUOTE]
    Or Stella !!
  • Options
    EurostarEurostar Posts: 78,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AndreaMC wrote: »

And why the hell wasn't Tracey there?:D

I don't think I've ever seen women carrying a coffin so that scene was bizarre alright.

I thought the episodes where Hayley died were superb as they portrayed very realistically how awful it is to watch someone die. The funeral episodes were a disappointment though : maudlin and overly sentimental and not particularly convincing.
  • Options
    immusicimmusic Posts: 955
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dixon wrote: »
    I'm not a Corrie viewer so i can't talk about Hayley's death.
    However, i did endure the Jackson suicide in ED a few years ago, and that was by far the most depressing story i've seen in a soap.

The death of a character in the movie Fried Green Tomato's At The Whistle Stop Cafe moved me tears, whereas prolonged, heavy going stories in soaps just bores me to tears.

I agree with both of these. The Jackson SL was so depressing, it made me stop watching ED for ages. Thanks for that Stuart Blackburn!
  • Options
    sorrentosorrento Posts: 1,857
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eurostar wrote: »
    I don't think I've ever seen women carrying a coffin so that scene was bizarre alright.

I thought the episodes where Hayley died were superb as they portrayed very realistically how awful it is to watch someone die. The funeral episodes were a disappointment though : maudlin and overly sentimental and not particularly convincing.

I thought it was very convincing and true to life..it's what happens at funerals...people tend to act over sentimental sometimes to cover their embarrassment at not knowing what to say or how to deal with death..
  • Options
    fi_onafi_ona Posts: 1,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Depressing in the extreme. I have been unable to watch, no actually not unable. I could have, and actually dipped in to Hayleys last scenes, with added advantage of being able to fast forward the worst bits.
    Did I want to watch someone dying for drama in front of my eyes? Not played out in a movie/tv drama which is part of the story, there and gone, but day after day, (or so it felt) week after week in a soap. No I did not.
    Too close to home for me, and probably anyone who has been touched by the same thing. My Mum fought to her dying breath, thankfully she was pretty much ok till the very end. She didnt fight for herself but for those she was leaving behind. I think if it had been only for her that she thought about she would have given up months before.
    Apart from being totally unbelievable. A self administered overdose is not quite so gentle and peaceful a passing, and isnt pretty.
    Do I subsequently want to torture myself with Roys heartache. No I do not.
    Coronation street does not exist as something to watch anymore for me. I make do with the tv guides etc to keep track, its not something I view as entertainment.
  • Options
    Tom_MullenTom_Mullen Posts: 893
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    spotty_cat wrote: »
    For sure. Fiz is a really annoying character anyway and it's spoilt the story for me a bit.:(

Agree, she also ruined the Tyrone/Kristy storyline completely, both storylines would have been much better without her involvement.