Vodafone's useless 2G?

RushRush Posts: 426
Forum Member
Does anyone else have problems with Vodafone's 2G connection? Whenever I go down to 2G I basically have no internet connection, I can't iMessage or go on What's App until I'm back on 3G, no point even trying to access anything when I'm on GPRS, but I'd expect some access with 2G!

Vodafone's internet really is ridiculous, it's like being back in 2009.

Comments

• flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    Rush wrote: »
    Does anyone else have problems with Vodafone's 2G connection? Whenever I go down to 2G I basically have no internet connection, I can't iMessage or go on What's App until I'm back on 3G, no point even trying to access anything when I'm on GPRS, but I'd expect some access with 2G!

i don't have a problem no.

on 2G i nearly always have edge and it works fine for email, twitter etc.
  • iGeek2014iGeek2014 Posts: 573
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I haven't tried Whatsapp but I find my iMessages send aOK but takes a eon to receive them.

General Internet browsing is a no go, too.
  • qasdfdsaqqasdfdsaq Posts: 3,350
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GPRS can often feel "useless" because it's simply overloaded, GSM was never intended for heavy data use and just doesn't have the capacity for dozens of people on smartphones flooding onto it every time a train passes.
  • daclickdaclick Posts: 3,393
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Only time I've managed to load the internet on voda with a g was when I was on corfu. I live in dereham where I have 5 bars of 3g yet can't make calls or send texts/browse the internet. It's rubbish.
  • steffanglsteffangl Posts: 437
    Forum Member
    Vodafone's data network is generally rubbish IMO. 2G provides no data throughput at all on many sites around me. Simply too many people trying to use it without proper capacity on the cells.

Similarly, Voda's 3G network is awful in some places. There's one area in Cardiff city centre with full 3G signal but if you're lucky you get 0.01Mbps down speeds and horrific ping times, sometimes completely nothing.

O2 3G is generally much better, with EE and 3 taking the top spots for speed.
  • tycho-magtycho-mag Posts: 8,663
    Forum Member

Yes, exactly the same, here in Hampshire. Vodafone 2G shows "data" but nothing actually works, either GPRS or EDGE. Lack of investment for years - Vodafone were too busy building and buying other companies on other countries.
  • AlecRAlecR Posts: 554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jchamier wrote: »
    Yes, exactly the same, here in Hampshire. Vodafone 2G shows "data" but nothing actually works, either GPRS or EDGE. Lack of investment for years - Vodafone were too busy building and buying other companies on other countries.

Same with O2. Data just sucks on 2G on both networks. It's crap on all of them to be fair.
  • jonmorrisjonmorris Posts: 21,759
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, my Ovivo (Vodafone) SIM demonstrates just how poor Vodafone is for data, even in 3G, used in pretty major (and therefore congested) areas.

Ping times of over 1000ms and speeds of 0.02/0.03 megabits seem common at home (Hatfield), central London and most recently Heathrow airport.

Unlike O2, I rarely fall back to 2G but the 3G speeds are still not far off 2G and then there are the times where there's no data flow at all.

The best speed ever for me is still only just over 6Mbps, which I'd regard as average these days with DC-HSPA! And that is still a one off.
  • SkipTracerSkipTracer Posts: 2,959
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jonmorris wrote: »
    Yeah, my Ovivo (Vodafone) SIM demonstrates just how poor Vodafone is for data, even in 3G, used in pretty major (and therefore congested) areas.

Ping times of over 1000ms and speeds of 0.02/0.03 megabits seem common at home (Hatfield), central London and most recently Heathrow airport.

Unlike O2, I rarely fall back to 2G but the 3G speeds are still not far off 2G and then there are the times where there's no data flow at all.

The best speed ever for me is still only just over 6Mbps, which I'd regard as average these days with DC-HSPA! And that is still a one off.

That’s my finding too with Ovivo; it’s so bad I can’t even watch any ads even if I wanted to.

I just don’t know how they are surviving as I’m not living up to their T&C through no fault of my own but if they want to continue giving me and the OH free calls and text who am I to complain.:)

The sooner they go up the Swanee the better as I’m just addictive to free calls and text and just can’t give them up but if they disappear that will give me the push to join 3 full time.:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I got a Samba SIM too, which uses Three and seems fine speed wise. The catch? 3.5MB of data awarded for watching a 1-5 minute video. You'll run out of data in no time, or spend your life watching videos with a choice of about 10-15 ads. Clearly that isn't going to last long either as a business model.
  • AlecRAlecR Posts: 554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do Vodafone or O2 have HSPA+? My phone always seems to display H+ on O2.
  • mooxmoox Posts: 18,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    2009? More like 2005.

I haven't had to use GPRS for any longer than a couple of minutes at a time for the last decade or so, and that's while living in a rural area. Since at least 2007 there has been 3G pretty much everywhere I go.

This is of course not on Vodafone, instead on a network that chose to innovate and invest rather than stagnate with 90's technology.
  • mooxmoox Posts: 18,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    qasdfdsaq wrote: »
    GPRS can often feel "useless" because it's simply overloaded, GSM was never intended for heavy data use and just doesn't have the capacity for dozens of people on smartphones flooding onto it every time a train passes.

Or because webpages and content are considerably larger than they were in the late 90s/early 2000s, when WAP was the future and GPRS could have handled it pretty well.
  • jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
    Forum Member
    AlecR wrote: »
    Do Vodafone or O2 have HSPA+? My phone always seems to display H+ on O2.

Yes.

O2 have HSPA+/DC-HSPA+ in some cities.
  • BatchBatch Posts: 3,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Edge is fricken hopeless on my Nexus 4. It works, but very slowly. I think its fairly bursty looking at dl throughput.

GPRS is 'slower' but seems to be more constant hence things feel like they load faster overall.

I wish 3 would sell me a femto, I much preferred their PAYG to Voda - but I can only get a signal on the latter in my house :(
  • mrMickmrMick Posts: 1,437
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My tendency is to only use it for calls and texts, so 2G/GSM is ok for me. That said, when i get 3G on Voda, I find it does tend to just work, including using it for youtube and streaming internet radio when i'm sat waiting in the car lol. Maybe i'm just lucky ;-)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 82
    Forum Member

Hi Rush,

If this is a recent problem I'd recommend following the troubleshooting steps on your eForum here so we can help you further.

However, if this is your general experience when using the network, you can check here to see if any coverage enhancements are planned in your area.
    jchamier wrote: »

Hi jchamier,

Having checked our network status checker here I can see that we're currently working on a network issue in the GU14 area, which we'll get fixed as soon as we can.

Kind regards,

Lee

Web Relations

Vodafone UK
  • ThreeThree Posts: 1,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SkipTracer wrote: »
    The sooner they go up the Swanee the better as I’m just addictive to free calls and text and just can’t give them up but if they disappear that will give me the push to join 3 full time.:D

That or a new 4G handset. ;-)
    I got a Samba SIM too, which uses Three and seems fine speed wise. The catch? 3.5MB of data awarded for watching a 1-5 minute video. You'll run out of data in no time, or spend your life watching videos with a choice of about 10-15 ads. Clearly that isn't going to last long either as a business model.

I wouldn't say Samba users spend their life watching videos. More clicking play on a video and then switching to a new tab to continue with something more exciting. :D
  • SkipTracerSkipTracer Posts: 2,959
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi Rush,

If this is a recent problem I'd recommend following the troubleshooting steps on your eForum here so we can help you further.

However, if this is your general experience when using the network, you can check here to see if any coverage enhancements are planned in your area.

Hi jchamier,

Having checked our network status checker here I can see that we're currently working on a network issue in the GU14 area, which we'll get fixed as soon as we can.

Kind regards,

Lee

Web Relations

Vodafone UK

I’ve checked and it confirms my belief that Vodafone are an antiquated network here in the south west and are not worthy of anybodies money.

With H+ displayed on any of the 3G phones I have here and I’ve a few of them you can get all of 30 Kb/s up and down and yes that’s a K not a M. It’s been like this from Bristol to Torbay to West Bay since last summer though I did have a few days before Christmas where I managed the dizzy speed of 2 Mb/s down, wow.

You can only play the “It’s your phone or settings card so many times” and those times have long past, in the south west anyway.
  • qasdfdsaqqasdfdsaq Posts: 3,350
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's kinda ironic because in places Vodafone actually have the most advanced 3G equipment in use. And the most spectrum per user.
  • QuackersQuackers Posts: 4,830
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is why i left Vodafone and went back to the EE network. On EE GPRS while slow (as expected) it worked, and Edge was acceptable. On Vodafone If i ever saw 'E' for edge it never loaded anything and GPRS just was not even usable. 3G was very hit and miss even with full signal i would get dire data throughput most the time. Add to all that the fact their online account area forever errors when you click something i don't know how they have so many customers.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Three wrote: »
    I wouldn't say Samba users spend their life watching videos. More clicking play on a video and then switching to a new tab to continue with something more exciting. :D

True, but it's still hassle for such a small gain. And the lack of advertisers shows it can't be working.

If only there were more MVNOs using Three.
    Forum Member
    If only there were more MVNOs using Three.

There are a few and will be more.
  • ThreeThree Posts: 1,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jabbamk1 wrote: »
    There are a few and will be more.

Does anyone know what sort of deal the MNOs get from Three? Will they be getting 4G at no additional cost?
    Forum Member
    Three wrote: »
    Does anyone know what sort of deal the MNOs get from Three? Will they be getting 4G at no additional cost?

Well if you want to start your own MVNO then I guess you could contact them and ask.

http://wholesale.three.co.uk/