The Million Pound Drop - Channel 4

Sirocco758Sirocco758 Posts: 518
Forum Member
✭✭
Sent Channel 4 a tweet to ask when TMPD would be back and received this reply:

https://twitter.com/4viewers/status/449935574863192065

Bit gutted but the fact it hasn't been on since July 2013 I didn't expect it to be back like.

Comments

• barrcode88barrcode88 Posts: 6,849
    Forum Member
    It started off alright but then the show just tanked really.
  • beemohbeemoh Posts: 7,073
    Forum Member
    ^that.

Although, the pub quiz game is probably one of the better TV tie-ins. Definitely up there with Bullseye.
  • AcerBenAcerBen Posts: 21,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "No plans for another series of #MillionPoundDrop just yet but we'll pass
    on your interest" isn't the same as it being axed is it? They might just be "resting" it. In any case this tweet was probably written by an intern who just knows nothing has been announced so can't say any more that that.

Davina said it was coming back soon on Twitter recently.
  • pburke90pburke90 Posts: 14,757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My friends have been a few times to see it filmed and I was planning on getting in the audience for some shows, preferably this one as it is easy enough to get tickets, when I go over later in the year. I hope it's not cancelled!
  • cris182cris182 Posts: 9,595
    Forum Member
    It would be a better show if the question/answers weren't based on you having read gossip columns about towie or having to take a pot luck guess at the last question
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,348
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cris182 wrote: »
    It would be a better show if the question/answers weren't based on you having read gossip columns about towie or having to take a pot luck guess at the last question

This ^^

Is what makes the show so unappealing as a quiz show. Needs to get rid of the towie aspect.
  • oathyoathy Posts: 32,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hate the term but it jumped the shark with the lamb's.
    until that point it had some really good tough questions, When the Celeb Element begun was a totally different show, Questions more suited with ITV this morning Daytime competition
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 478
    Forum Member
    It was good at first when it was topical and all of the questions were based around the days news. It lost it's way when it became overexposed and the questions became trivia based.
  • Steve9214Steve9214 Posts: 8,404
    Forum Member
    Obviously they ran out of thick, 20-something, multiracial, disabled, gay couples to be contestants.

Could not risk having anyone who might actually win the money !!
  • Pink KnightPink Knight Posts: 24,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As been said, it became nearly as bad as the Secret Fortune lottery game for putting up questions that were beyond guessing.
    Relying on a fluke answer to win money in the end isn't very entertaining.
  • Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It wasn't a bad quiz and it begs the question, if this has gone, why doesn't Channel 4 get rid of Deal or no Deal, which surely is well past its sell by date?
  • performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They're probably just giving it a rest.
  • RickyLeeds85RickyLeeds85 Posts: 11,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    noticed that the reply was not from Channel 4 themselves but 4 viewers so not sure i would read too much into.

Also if it had been axed i am sure there would be an article on DS about it? although it does seem a while since it has been on.

Also you can still book tickets for million pound drop live on http://www.applausestore.com/book-the-million-pound-drop-live
  • Chloe_BeadsChloe_Beads Posts: 197
    Forum Member
    Steve9214 wrote: »
    Obviously they ran out of thick, 20-something, multiracial, disabled, gay couples to be contestants.

Could not risk having anyone who might actually win the money !!

Discussing views you have.. the implication that any one who is 20... gay.... not English and disabled will not stand a chance of winning the money?!! not one of those examples actually has any impact at all on the knowledge of the individual and chance of winning money from this show!!! One of The biggest winners on the show were a couple of 26 and 27
  • cris182cris182 Posts: 9,595
    Forum Member
    The other thing that annoyed me about this show was Davina saying 'I need to hurry you for a decision' on the question category. But then spend 10 mins having a celeb skype a question or if they were in a group they would spend 5 mins subbing a player for a player from the back area....Pointless
  • hunter23hunter23 Posts: 3,097
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shame, quite liked it. i don't get how dond is still going after all these years though
  • Lucy Van PeltLucy Van Pelt Posts: 11,642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Apparently there was a lot of complaints about the risque questions from friends of Mary Whitehouse brigade

I quite liked the show though better than a lot of the crap that seems to get churned out on weekend prime TV
  • Ten_BenTen_Ben Posts: 2,534
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The show had something alluring about it, in the same way that WWTBAM did when it started but with the questions being much too celebrity/gossip column based rather than pure general knowledge and the incessant 'celebrity' contestants hamming it up to the cameras rather than having normal Joe Public contestants, it kind of lost its way as did WWTBAM.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,383
    Forum Member
    Yup - good riddance, jumped the shark early on with the stupid questions and illiterate moron contestants, oh and Davina...... Can we get rid of that beardy git and the banker next pls C4?
  • DDRickyDDDDRickyDD Posts: 5,247
    Forum Member
    I thought it was a poor quiz show, too slow, the contestants nearly always lacked any sort of personality, they were too "Samey".

Let's hope this is just the start, and C4 will decide to have a overhaul, getting rid of Deal Or No Deal amongst other.
  • Ten_BenTen_Ben Posts: 2,534
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Indeed, it was too slow. I forgot about that but it seems to be the way of all shows these days: drag everything out, add in endless recaps of what happened two minutes ago and insert plenty of 'dramatic' pauses ahead of going to advert breaks. >:(
  • RickyLeeds85RickyLeeds85 Posts: 11,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    AcerBen wrote: »
    "No plans for another series of #MillionPoundDrop just yet but we'll pass
    on your interest" isn't the same as it being axed is it? They might just be "resting" it. In any case this tweet was probably written by an intern who just knows nothing has been announced so can't say any more that that.

Davina said it was coming back soon on Twitter recently.

BIB has no one else seen what has been said? If Davina has clearly said via twitter that it will be back soon then obviously it has not been axed so i think the thread names renaming slightly and maybe a ? after axed?
  • stewartuustewartuu Posts: 334
    Forum Member
    I hope they do give it another run; as overexposed as it was back in the day, I do kind of miss it, now. I agree with the comments made about the samey contestants and stupid questions, though.

Let's hope that if it does come back, they quietly forget about 'The Final Drop'. That was really poorly thought through, wasn't it?
  • stewartuustewartuu Posts: 334
    Forum Member
    https://twitter.com/the1mpounddrop/status/462290696183881731

So I'm guessing it's back soon enough. As said above, let's hope the reason for the lengthy hiatus is so we can all pretend the gratuitous twists made in the last series never happened.
  • guernseysnailguernseysnail Posts: 18,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    According to their FB page exciting news coming next week...Hope it's coming back,I enjoyed it!