Options

David Cameron - Continuing The Work of Jesus

Comments

• Options
    FMKKFMKK Posts: 32,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    woot_whoo wrote: »
    I assumed that to be tongue in cheek. It's less frightening that way.

It's hard to tell on this forum sometimes. Really really hard to tell.
    woot_whoo wrote: »
    But it worked so well in the sixteenth and seventeenth centuries! ;-)

Interesting. It's usually only the 19th century that the Tories want to take us back to.
  • Options
    allaortaallaorta Posts: 19,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How did Jesus start the Big Society?

Same way he started the Labour Party.
  • Options
    allaortaallaorta Posts: 19,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Doesn't he know you should never mix politics with religion. Or at least that's what they used to say when I was younger.

Lucky you can remember back that far.....:D
  • Options
    Sun Tzu.Sun Tzu. Posts: 19,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    FMKK wrote: »
    Jesus, the UKIP shills are getting more and more pathetic. Is it a real party with policies or just a cult of personality for Farage?
    All great parties or Armies are led by great generals or leaders. Farage is one.
  • Options
    FMKKFMKK Posts: 32,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sun Tzu. wrote: »
    All great parties or Armies are led by great generals or leaders. Farage is one.

Just for the sake of clarity, you are being tongue in cheek, aren't you?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well some do seem to believe that the beloved leader can walk on water, we shall see if he can preform miracles come May next year,

but If he wants to go all bible on our asses, perhaps he should also remember that Jesus said "it is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle than it is for a rich man to enter the kingdom of Heaven".... so think on Tory rich boy,

see, good old JC was a working class lefty,

:D

Jesus Christ was exactly that if you read the Gospels - it's been one of the biggest coups of the right wing to claim that they represent his teachings (especially in the US) and they've done that really well.

David Cameron isn't the worst politician but to say all this after standing up for the morally dubious Maria Miller for so long is rather suspect.
  • Options
    Sun Tzu.Sun Tzu. Posts: 19,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do you not agree?
  • Options
    Phil 2804Phil 2804 Posts: 21,846
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    David Tee wrote: »
    *Whinge*

Nah cringe. God has no place in modern politics, remember the slagging Tony Blair got for using the God clause?
  • Options
    GibsonSGGibsonSG Posts: 23,681
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "Just call me Dave" is heading for a visit from the men in white coats methinks. I suppose we should really worry when he turns up in a tricorner hat one arm inside his jacket loudly proclaiming "viva France".
  • Options
    andallthatjazzandallthatjazz Posts: 6,413
    Forum Member
    As usual this is more likely a misquote/distorted version by the newspaper. Headlines is what they sell after all.

Unless they publish the full transcript of the speech, don't believe a word of it.
  • Options
    Biffo the BearBiffo the Bear Posts: 25,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Has anyone checked the St Michael of Gove edition Bible? Perhaps Dave's been reading that and stumbled across the Tory version of Jesus:

http://www.buzzfeed.com/provincialelitist/watch-al-frankens-the-gospel-of-supply-side-4t5
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I heard Will's voice from the Inbetweeners when I read that! ;-)
  • Options
    gummy mummygummy mummy Posts: 26,600
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    allaorta wrote: »
    Lucky you can remember back that far.....:D

My names 'gummy mummy' not Methuselah :p
  • Options
    SnowStorm86SnowStorm86 Posts: 17,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wonder if the Christian community agree that his policies are a good interpretation of the bible.
  • Options
    MorlockMorlock Posts: 3,211
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As usual this is more likely a misquote/distorted version by the newspaper. Headlines is what they sell after all.

Unless they publish the full transcript of the speech, don't believe a word of it.

"People sometimes say, you know, “You talk about the Big Society; don’t you realise this is what the Church has been doing for decades?” And I say yes, absolutely. Jesus invented the Big Society 2000 years ago, I just want to see more of it and encourage as much of it as possible. And that is something I think we should all want to see: a bigger role for faith-based organisations in our society. And if there are blockages, if there are things that are stopping you doing more, think of me if you like as a sort of giant Dyno-Rod in Whitehall: I want to make it easier, I want to unblock the things that help you do what you do. So please let’s do that. "

https://www.gov.uk/government/speeches/easter-reception-at-downing-street-2014
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dyno-Rod is owned by Centrica / Britsh Gas - so expect to get a good shafting (that's a trade term btw)
  • Options
    David TeeDavid Tee Posts: 22,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Morlock wrote: »
    "People sometimes say, you know, “You talk about the Big Society; don’t you realise this is what the Church has been doing for decades?” And I say yes, absolutely. Jesus invented the Big Society 2000 years ago, I just want to see more of it and encourage as much of it as possible. And that is something I think we should all want to see: a bigger role for faith-based organisations in our society. And if there are blockages, if there are things that are stopping you doing more, think of me if you like as a sort of giant Dyno-Rod in Whitehall: I want to make it easier, I want to unblock the things that help you do what you do. So please let’s do that. "

https://www.gov.uk/government/speeches/easter-reception-at-downing-street-2014

Thanks for that.

So - David Cameron did NOT say " I'm just continuing God's work".

Which begs a different question - why would the Independent make that up?
  • Options
    MorlockMorlock Posts: 3,211
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for that.

So - David Cameron did NOT say " I'm just continuing God's work".

Not exactly, no, but he does say he wants to continue the work of Jesus.
    Which begs a different question - why would the Independent make that up?

I've no idea, but it made me laugh. The thread title is more accurate.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sounds like the high-octane ego juice that had Blair picturing himself in stained-glass windows.
  • Options
    LyricalisLyricalis Posts: 57,958
    Forum Member
    Peter_CJ wrote: »
    Sounds like the high-octane ego juice that had Blair picturing himself in stained-glass windows.

Yeah, and look how that ended. Yet another reason for people to not vote for the Tories at the next GE. We'll be invading somewhere hot and sandy by Christmas 2015 otherwise and maybe stoning adulterous women. Still, your neighbours will be happy to help you out if you need a hand. Or else.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lyricalis wrote: »
    Yeah, and look how that ended. Yet another reason for people to not vote for the Tories at the next GE. We'll be invading somewhere hot and sandy by Christmas 2015 otherwise and maybe stoning adulterous women. Still, your neighbours will be happy to help you out if you need a hand. Or else.

Blair had that manic look in his eyes early on his reign, but I thought Cameron was a bit more stable (in that way). But it seems the power and the glory could be starting to take hold, and that he might be starting to believe his own rhetoric.

Such a shame that political satire seems to have died out on TV, I feel sure someone could have some fun with this.

Perhaps a sketch of Cameron in ASDA gathering up a few loaves and heading for the fish counter.
  • Options
    MeercamMeercam Posts: 1,020
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GibsonSG wrote: »
    "Just call me Dave" is heading for a visit from the men in white coats methinks. I suppose we should really worry when he turns up in a tricorner hat one arm inside his jacket loudly proclaiming "viva France".

Is that what people with mental health issues do, dress up as Napoleon?
    What a bizarre and outdated view.
  • Options
    RecordPlayerRecordPlayer Posts: 22,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Peter_CJ wrote: »
    Blair had that manic look in his eyes early on his reign, but I thought Cameron was a bit more stable (in that way). But it seems the power and the glory could be starting to take hold, and that he might be starting to believe his own rhetoric.

Such a shame that political satire seems to have died out on TV, I feel sure someone could have some fun with this.

Perhaps a sketch of Cameron in ASDA gathering up a few loaves and heading for the fish counter.

Yes, why is that do you think? Spitting Image used to be great. Have I Got News For You is all that's left.

Osborne
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yes, why is that do you think? Spitting Image used to be great. Have I Got News For You is all that's left.

Osborne

The creators of Spitting Image were on the TV the other week discussing this; they said they didn't think there is a market for it now-a-days. They said the models are expensive to produce, and so needs quite an investment.

These days TV companies want cheap subjects, like cops with cameras, people being evicted, embarrassing bodies, etc.

It’s a shame.
  • Options
    TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ed Miliband needed divine intervention, and he is getting it from David Cameron.

Ed comes across as a more credible leader by the week, and he hasn't actually done anything.