Options

Is EastEnders too White?

Comments

• Options
    J-BJ-B Posts: 18,615
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Quick math... the 2011 census pegged the percentage of white people in the UK at 85.4%, and the number of non-white people at 14.6%. I quickly counted 55 white characters in Eastenders, against 9 non-white characters. Therefore:

UK Demographic: 85.4% white / 14.6% non-white
    Eastenders Character Demographic: 85.93% white / 14.06% non-white.

So, Eastenders is almost exactly aligned with the demographic of the nation that watches it - you could conclude that it reflects the makeup of the people who watch it.

Which begs the question of 'is it representative of the East End?' There are a couple of ways of looking at that, which depend on whether you believe Eastenders is or should be grounded in reality, or has been set in it's own bubble for years - I firmly believe the latter, and thus think the representation of white/non-white characters is fine.

The worst thing the producers could do is 'box-tick', just to say 'look how diverse our cast is', which has never worked for the show before for any minority group. The ones that have worked have been decent characters in their own right.

Anecdotally, when I lived on a similar Victorian square, and visited several others, they were mostly white communities at a ratio not dissimilar to EE or the national average.
  • Options
    Seanieb1983Seanieb1983 Posts: 1,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd say its more grey to be honest.
  • Options
    issy17issy17 Posts: 467
    Forum Member
    They should bring in a asian guy for Shabnam, then we could slowly meet his family :D
  • Options
    Chris MarkChris Mark Posts: 4,897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    J-B wrote: »
    Quick math... the 2011 census pegged the percentage of white people in the UK at 85.4%, and the number of non-white people at 14.6%. I quickly counted 55 white characters in Eastenders, against 9 non-white characters. Therefore:

So, Eastenders is almost exactly aligned with the demographic of the nation that watches it - you could conclude that it reflects the makeup of the people who watch it.

Which begs the question of 'is it representative of the East End?' There are a couple of ways of looking at that, which depend on whether you believe Eastenders is or should be grounded in reality, or has been set in it's own bubble for years - I firmly believe the latter, and thus think the representation of white/non-white characters is fine.

The worst thing the producers could do is 'box-tick', just to say 'look how diverse our cast is', which has never worked for the show before for any minority group. The ones that have worked have been decent characters in their own right.

Anecdotally, when I lived on a similar Victorian square, and visited several others, they were mostly white communities at a ratio not dissimilar to EE or the national average.

Personally I think it should be more diverse just to annoy the Mail readers.

Aren't I childish?

85.4% white that's a lie, we've been swamped and white British people are a minority, nobody speaks English at all and it's all thanks to LibLabCon.
  • Options
    J-BJ-B Posts: 18,615
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Chris Mark wrote: »
    Personally I think it should be more diverse just to annoy the Mail readers.

Aren't I childish?

Entirely valid :D Though Mail readers are born angry, they just don't know what they are angry about until they read the days headlines.
  • Options
    Tom-Bennett.Tom-Bennett. Posts: 2,558
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    does it really matter? a lot of the extra's are black/Asian anyway
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 546
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd like to see jamicans or somalians. There are a lot of them in london- especially in east london- I'm white and out of my group of friends; I'm the only white person.
  • Options
    Heathyheath_Heathyheath_ Posts: 986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Am I the only one who would like to see Winston as a recurring speaking character?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    June Brown has ancestors who were Sephardic Jews from North Africa, yet we think of Dot as a native white East Ender. See even out "traditional" characters have actors who have foreign origins. Coming over 'ere taking jobs from our native Anglo-Saxon actors who originated in what is now Northern Germany and Denmark, or our Celtic ancestors who came from the continent. Bloody cheek.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 546
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Am I the only one who would like to see Winston as a recurring speaking character?

Winston seems to be fame hungry, making an appearance on towie after girlfriend's and now eastenders.
  • Options
    cas1977cas1977 Posts: 6,399
    Forum Member
    haphash wrote: »
    Not this again. This same thread pops up every few weeks.

Eastenders is not representative of the East End which is more multicultural but it is representative of the audience watching the show. Outside of the major cities the vast majority of the population is still white. If the producers of the show had a whole cast of people from other countries talking in other languages it is pretty likely that a large proportion of those viewers would switch off as they couldn't identify with it anymore. That is the reason that EE does not reflect the real east end.
    Well said.

For me, Eastenders is about being entertained by good storylines that happen to characters I can identify with and enjoy watching. I don't get all the fuss about making it more multi cultural....?

And I'm so sick of phrases I keep on hearing on these fórums like "ethnic minorities" and "cultural diversity"....

Regardless of how mixed up England has become in recent years, it is still supposed to be England and the predominant colour of people is always going to be white. At least I hope it stays that way.

And I'm willing to bet money on the fact that if they were to feature a chinese family for example in a major sl, it wouldn't be any where as interesting as watching the same sort of sl from the Carters or Brannings etc.

And it has to be said that a lot of ethnic actors haven't worked that well on EE.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cas1977 wrote: »
    Well said.

For me, Eastenders is about being entertained by good storylines that happen to characters I can identify with and enjoy watching. I don't get all the fuss about making it more multi cultural....?

And I'm so sick of phrases I keep on hearing on these fórums like "ethnic minorities" and "cultural diversity"....

Regardless of how mixed up England has become in recent years, it is still supposed to be England and the predominant colour of people is always going to be white. At least I hope it stays that way.

And I'm willing to bet money on the fact that if they were to feature a chinese family for example in a major sl, it wouldn't be any where as interesting as watching the same sort of sl from the Carters or Brannings etc.

And it has to be said that a lot of ethnic actors haven't worked that well on EE.

Well you've already contradicted yourself, you've said that you "can't see what the fuss is about" meaning you claim that ethnicity doesn't matter to you, however you then go on to say that you hope that the predominant "colour of our people" will stay white.

Seems to me that you don't want to see ethnic minorites on the show at all.

It clearly is an issue for you.
  • Options
    KillerWatchKillerWatch Posts: 505
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Personally I think EastEnders does a good job of balancing the races.

We've got Patrick, Tosh, Denise, Kim, Dexter, Fatboy, Shabnam, Masood, Tamwar & Aleks.

It also does a good job of representing inter-racial relationships; Masood & Jane, Denise & Ian, Tosh & Tina. Also, it always includes the Masood's religion whenever it's needed.

It also has many mixed race extras; Winston, Mr. Papodopulopudolous, the Chinese woman who owns the flower stall etc.
  • Options
    Kim_xKim_x Posts: 3,635
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Wouldn't mind that. He has spoken before but hasn't got quite the reputation of Tracy for not speaking!
  • Options
    Kim_xKim_x Posts: 3,635
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Personally I think EastEnders does a good job of balancing the races.

We've got Patrick, Tosh, Denise, Kim, Dexter, Fatboy, Shabnam, Masood, Tamwar & Aleks.

It also does a good job of representing inter-racial relationships; Masood & Jane, Denise & Ian, Tosh & Tina. Also, it always includes the Masood's religion whenever it's needed.

It also has many mixed race extras; Winston, Mr. Papodopulopudolous, the Chinese woman who owns the flower stall etc.

Also Bushra, though I guess we might not see her again :(
  • Options
    dancing.queendancing.queen Posts: 14,090
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does it really matter? EastEnders isn't a representation of the real world. There's two murderesses living on the Square, and half of the residents have done time at one time or another.

Far more than any other street.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does it really matter? EastEnders isn't a representation of the real world. There's two murderesses living on the Square, and half of the residents have done time at one time or another.

Far more than any other street.

So basically you're saying that Walford is full of white trash?
  • Options
    Cuddly_CatCuddly_Cat Posts: 2,900
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cas1977 wrote: »
    Well said.

BIB "At least I hope it stays that way". Why?
  • Options
    dancing.queendancing.queen Posts: 14,090
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So basically you're saying that Walford is full of white trash?

No, I'm saying EastEnders isn't a representation of the real world as it's full of criminals, murderers, attempted murderers etc.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Well you've already contradicted yourself, you've said that you "can't see what the fuss is about" meaning you claim that ethnicity doesn't matter to you, however you then go on to say that you hope that the predominant "colour of our people" will stay white.

Seems to me that you don't want to see ethnic minorites on the show at all.

It clearly is an issue for you.

What I meant was - I don't know why people are calling for more ethnic minorities to be on the show, because it just seems like another PC issue, and box ticking for the sake of it.

But yes, I would rather have more whites in the show than non whites.

I think they could extend the Masoods though, as imo that is one ethnic family they've done really well.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 311
    Forum Member
    I'm black and I don't get the obsession with having more black/non-white people, or having more homosexuals, or having more of something else.

Usually when soaps try to fulfil this "criteria" they end up stereotyping them or they end up being very bland. Eastenders is fine as it is, although I wouldn't say no to a Zainab return and more interesting storylines for Denise.

I also think the predominant race should be white as it represents England better. There should be quite a few ethnic minorities in there but no more than a third of the set to be honest. And once again this is coming from a black person.

Eastenders has focused less on being based in East London and is not just a London soap. Houses are expensive there and most people on set wouldn't be able to afford them realistically.
  • Options
    GeekInfectedGeekInfected Posts: 6,372
    Forum Member
    J-B wrote: »

EastEnders isn't based on the people who watch it - it's based on the EAST END OF LONDON.

Now lets take a looks at the 2011 census for the LONDON Demographic against the EastEnders character demographic.

London Demographic: 59.7% white / 40.3% non-white

So....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Cuddly_Cat wrote: »
    BIB "At least I hope it stays that way". Why?
    Because England is a white country. But of course now, culturally it's far more diverse than it's ever been, which is fine, as long as white people never become the minority, as that to me, would basically just be odd.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 403
    Forum Member
    On a more serious note, who really gives a f***?

As long as these people can act, as long as these people can make me wanna watch another episode regardless of their skin colour then that is all that really matters.

As I said earlier, we should forget the statistics and issue the person with the job because they can do the job not because of their skin colour.

People will always try and portray EE in a negative light on here and it's becoming quite boring. Okay, so there are more white people in EE than the actual East-End of London we get it but this post occurs way too often and it's never about any of the other soaps.
  • Options
    Beale_FowlerBeale_Fowler Posts: 109
    Forum Member
    vaslav37 wrote: »
    As much as I love the show it is too white...
    I agree. Not representative of the East End. This is a good website about it:http://www.newstatesman.com/culture/2013/10/where-did-eastenders-go-wrong