Options

Pop Tarts

PhilH36PhilH36 Posts: 26,307
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Went looking for Pop Tarts in my local Sainsburys and was told they no longer stocked them because they'd been banned??

Comments

• Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    What did google say?
  • Options
    epicurianepicurian Posts: 19,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not surprised. When those things come out of the toaster the filling is like napalm. You could really injure yourself!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can't find anything online to suggest they've been banned. I'll have to try Tesco/Asda I guess.
  • Options
    Victoria SpongeVictoria Sponge Posts: 16,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    epicurian wrote: »
    I'm not surprised. When those things come out of the toaster the filling is like napalm. You could really injure yourself!

Yes. I remember in 1992 on Watchdog on bbc1 they issued a warning about them, as there had been several complains about the filling being mega hot and causing burns.

I used to eat Pop Tarts for breakfast in 1992. I liked the strawberry and the chocolate ones.
  • Options
    Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,925
    Forum Member
    Yes. I remember in 1992 on Watchdog on bbc1 they issued a warning about them, as there had been several complains about the filling being mega hot and causing burns.

Yes I heard about that.Tbf they did used to warn about this on the side of the packets.

I haven't had one in years but it's a shame if they've been removed because the chronically stupid can't read a package warning.
  • Options
    JulesFJulesF Posts: 6,461
    Forum Member
    Welsh-lad wrote: »
    Yes I heard about that.Tbf they did used to warn about this on the side of the packets.

I haven't had one in years but it's a shame if they've been removed because the chronically stupid can't read a package warning.

This. It is rather depressing really.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Right,Asda are still stocking them so I don't know what the Sainsbury's woman was going on about!
  • Options
    CloneClownCloneClown Posts: 6,296
    Forum Member
    I bought a box of them off Ebay which were imported from America. They were the Unfrosted Strawberry ones which you can no longer get here but I used to eat them too back in the 90s. They are a once in a blue moon treat for me. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 893
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You can buy them in Tesco in the cereal section sometimes, or at Crispins but for a ridiculous price. I don't care how hot they get or how exepnsive they are, they are EFFING AMAZING.
  • Options
    TennisFreak08TennisFreak08 Posts: 9,451
    Forum Member
    I used to love the chocolate ones but think they'd be too sickly for me these days.
  • Options
    staceyxxx23staceyxxx23 Posts: 12,549
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I loved the strawberry ones. Haven't had any for ages though, but don't think they even sell them anymore, I've not seen them about.
  • Options
    OMTTOMTT Posts: 5,459
    Forum Member
    I liked eating them straight from the box. They tasted like empire biscuits.
  • Options
    frankie_babyfrankie_baby Posts: 1,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    selfridges sell imported from america ones, loads of flavours you cant get normally here, bloody expensive though
  • Options
    kdog2010kdog2010 Posts: 255
    Forum Member
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Welsh-lad wrote: »

It should just be common sense for an adult. You put a product with jam to heat up in a toaster then the jam is going to get really hot.

Same if you heat things in the microwave or use boiling water. You're going to let them cool first.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 653
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I had the Choctastic ones today. Yummy! I can only ever manage one though. I wish they weren't wrapped in twos.

The Oreo ones are delicious. I bought them from an American store (Stateside Candy Co). I wish they had more flavours widely available over here.

PS - to the people who are burning themselves. The filling shouldn't be that hot if toasted on the lowest setting, as the packet instructions advise. I've never burnt myself while eating a Pop Tart.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 52
    Forum Member
    Morrisons stock them too :) About £2.50 a box. B&M had them a few months ago for £1.50 but haven't had any since. The chocolate ones are the best.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    petit-pois wrote: »
    PS - to the people who are burning themselves. The filling shouldn't be that hot if toasted on the lowest setting, as the packet instructions advise. I've never burnt myself while eating a Pop Tart.
    I'm not a fan of piping hot food anyway be it a pop tart, sausage roll, pastie etc.
    Always like to let them cool a little.
  • Options
    -GONZO--GONZO- Posts: 9,624
    Forum Member
    My local Asda is now stocking new flavours of Pop Tarts :)
    As well as Chocolate and Strawberry we now have Bustin Berry, Very Cherry and Apple Blast.
    All we need now is some of the weird and wonderful flavours the US has got.
  • Options
    doom&gloomdoom&gloom Posts: 9,051
    Forum Member
    -GONZO- wrote: »
    My local Asda is now stocking new flavours of Pop Tarts :)
    As well as Chocolate and Strawberry we now have Bustin Berry, Very Cherry and Apple Blast.
    All we need now is some of the weird and wonderful flavours the US has got.

I didn't know you could get those flavours, my supermarket has only had strawberry and chocolate for years but have just added apple, I thought it was new.
  • Options
    fatsifatsi Posts: 10,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OMTT wrote: »
    I liked eating them straight from the box. They tasted like empire biscuits.

My daughter used to do that!

Am I the only person who never liked them :o
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No you're not. I think everything about them is vile.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,405
    Forum Member
    You can definitely still buy them in Tesco.
  • Options
    Cherry-chocCherry-choc Posts: 4,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you're bored of chocolate and strawberry being the only options...your local Tesco may have a US shelf in the ethnic foods aisle (Indian, Caribbean, Polish etc). Try there.

The US flavours have a blue box as opposed to our orange ones.

My faves are cookies and cream, choc chip and brown sugar cinnamon. Some are too sickly (hot fudge sundae, blueberry).