Options

Where are all these unwanted kittens I hear about?

yoko onoyoko ono Posts: 633
Forum Member
✭✭
I live in Coventry and for about 3 weeks now I've been trying to get a male kitten preferably black/black&white because I understand they are the most difficult to rehome.
Cats Protection inform me they have no kittens. Coventry Cat Group replied to the online form I filled in saying they were worried I lived near a busy road, I replied why I didn't think this would be an issue, they didn't reply. I answered several ads on Gumtree only one woman had the courtesy to reply to say her kittens had gone, the others, rudely, not a word in reply.
I contacted a rescue centre in Leicester who claim to rehome across the UK no reply.
I just can't understand it.
I'm really surprised at this, could it be that the rescue centres are not as overrun with kittens as they like to claim?
The only offer I've had is from Cat Action Trust Nuneaton, I would be able to get a black male in a few weeks after he has been neutered, but he is longed haired and I just don't fancy that.

Comments

• Options
    MarellaKMarellaK Posts: 5,783
    Forum Member
    It's not really kitten season if you want a young kitten - there should be plenty of young cats available that are a few months old. There are much less kittens born in Autumn and Winter than Spring and Summer. I believe kittens are generally quite easy to rehome (even black ones) - it's the older fully grown cats who languish in rescue with black, and black and white, waiting longest. My own rescue cats were 10 months old when I adopted them, past the cute phase (but still beautiful, playful, full of energy and vitality), one a gorgeous tabby, the other tabby and white.

Living on a busy road may not be a problem with you if you intend to keep the cat indoors but it is a problem for most rescues in the UK. It is one of their main priorities that young cats, without health or behavioural issues, have outdoor access, so many rescues simply will not rehome to people who live on busy roads.

You can obviously acquire a cat or kitten through another sources other than a rescue (I see you have tried gumtree). These cats won't have had the same health checks as those in rescue. I know there are some rescues who do allow indoor homing but the main ones (CP and RSPCA) do not unless there are good reasons. eg a cat with FIV, deafness, blindness, very nervous, never been outside etc. Rescues obviously will always act in the interests of the cat/kitten rather than the interest of the prospective owner.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MarellaK wrote: »
    It's not really kitten season if you want a young kitten - there should be plenty of young cats available that are a few months old. There are much less kittens born in Autumn and Winter than Spring and Summer. I believe kittens are generally quite easy to rehome (even black ones) - it's the older fully grown cats who languish in rescue with black, and black and white, waiting longest. My own rescue cats were 10 months old when I adopted them, past the cute phase (but still beautiful, playful, full of energy and vitality), one a gorgeous tabby, the other tabby and white.

Living on a busy road may not be a problem with you if you intend to keep the cat indoors but it is a problem for most rescues in the UK. It is one of their main priorities that young cats, without health or behavioural issues, have outdoor access, so many rescues simply will not rehome to people who live on busy roads.

You can obviously acquire a cat or kitten through another sources other than a rescue (I see you have tried gumtree). These cats won't have had the same health checks as those in rescue. I know there are some rescues who do allow indoor homing but the main ones (CP and RSPCA) do not unless there are good reasons. eg a cat with FIV, deafness, blindness, very nervous, never been outside etc. Rescues obviously will always act in the interests of the cat/kitten rather than the interest of the prospective owner.

Thanks for your reply.
    I have cats who look at the road from the kitchen window but when out go nowhere near the road. The lady from Cat Action Trust with the fluffy cat said they rehomed to someone who lived in a quiet street and the cat went further than usual one day and got run over on a busy road, so you can't envision all eventualities, live on a quiet street get run over live on a busy road never go near the road.
    I really was after a kitten about 4 months old that was already neutered.
  • Options
    ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    catchat.org is ab umbrella website for loads of cat shelters - you could try some of those.
    Maybe you could consider an older cat though - many cats wanting homes are only just beyond the kitten stage and even if you do get a kitten, it'll be a cat in just a few months anyway.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    yoko ono wrote: »
    Thanks for your reply.
    I have cats who look at the road from the kitchen window but when out go nowhere near the road. The lady from Cat Action Trust with the fluffy cat said they rehomed to someone who lived in a quiet street and the cat went further than usual one day and got run over on a busy road, so you can't envision all eventualities, live on a quiet street get run over live on a busy road never go near the road.
    I really was after a kitten about 4 months old that was already neutered.

I understand what you say about busy roads. My cousin lives on a fairly busy road and his cat is quite road savvy. Cats not so used to traffic may be more at risk to a random fast car. I suppose it's about weighing up the risk and I know my main criterion when I was looking for a new house was its location away from traffic - even if there still is some risk.

I am not sure if many vets in the UK neuter before the cat is 4 months old, I know they do in the US. I believe there is a trend towards earlier neutering but I'm not sure what the average age is now. My last kitten was neutered back in the mid 90s when she was around 5-6 months old, I don't think I'd ever adopt another kitten. I prefer adult cats and it was great for me that my 2 adult/juvenile rescues were neutered, wormed, flea treated and vaccinated before I adopted them.
  • Options
    ArmiArmi Posts: 3,317
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I adopted my black cat when she was about 6-8 months old, and she's been the most fantastic cat. Never a bit of bother at all.
  • Options
    MuzeMuze Posts: 2,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not the best time of year for kittens, wait a few months and you'll have the pick of thousands.

All the people who have unneutered kittens now will be be selling their offspring in 4-5 months >:(

I strongly support early neutering, especially if the family is planning to allow the things to roam.... I've seen 4 month old kittens having kittens, they often struggle, the litter drains the life out of them and often several babies die... totally unnecessary.
    Early neutering has very few side effects in cats.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shrike wrote: »
    catchat.org is ab umbrella website for loads of cat shelters - you could try some of those.
    Maybe you could consider an older cat though - many cats wanting homes are only just beyond the kitten stage and even if you do get a kitten, it'll be a cat in just a few months anyway.

The reason why I wanted a cat as young as possible was just because I know the 2 cats I have already would accept a kitten much easier than an older cat, and an older cat with it's own issues may not settle so well in a home where there are cats already.
    It was 'catchat' that put me onto Cat Action Trust.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    yoko ono wrote: »
    The reason why I wanted a cat as young as possible was just because I know the 2 cats I have already would accept a kitten much easier than an older cat, and an older cat with it's own issues may not settle so well in a home where there are cats already.
    It was 'catchat' that put me onto Cat Action Trust.

My established cat was fine with the 2 I introduced when they were 10 months old, no longer kittens so overlooked in the rescue centre, but still very kitten-like in their behaviour and still at the point of liking other cats. I notice, at 4, that they now hate other cats (ie the ones that come into the garden, they still adore my old cat).

Rescues normally know the history and character of their cats, which ones get on with other cats etc. so can help you with choosing the most appropriate for your circumstances. In my opinion, kittens can make the lives of established cats quite stressful with their antics. My friend had to re-home a kitten because her older cat hated it - I was pleased the older cat was chosen to stay and not the kitten.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MarellaK wrote: »
    My established cat was fine with the 2 I introduced when they were 10 months old, no longer kittens so overlooked in the rescue centre, but still very kitten-like in their behaviour and still at the point of liking other cats. I notice, at 4, that they now hate other cats (ie the ones that come into the garden, they still adore my old cat).

Rescues normally know the history and character of their cats, which ones get on with other cats etc. so can help you with choosing the most appropriate for your circumstances. In my opinion, kittens can make the lives of established cats quite stressful with their antics. My friend had to re-home a kitten because her older cat hated it - I was pleased the older cat was chosen to stay and not the kitten.

I will bear in mind what you say if I decide not to go for the fluffy one, apart from the risk of matts, I've been thinking how I'll have to put all my ornaments etc. away for a while in anticipation of all the climbing and potential damage a kitten can do.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I rescue and foster. I find that my pet cats always take to bigger cats a lot quicker than little ones/kittens...

As an aside, I also do TNR here in Saudi - my vet will neuter as long as they weigh over 1kg/2lbs. I've yet to see any reason not to neuter so young; the operation is simple, and the recovery time is short. Vets in the UK really need to update their practices concerning neutering.
  • Options
    mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,999
    Forum Member
    Muze wrote: »

All the people who have unneutered kittens now will be be selling their offspring in 4-5 months >:(

I strongly support early neutering, especially if the family is planning to allow the things to roam.... I've seen 4 month old kittens having kittens, they often struggle, the litter drains the life out of them and often several babies die... totally unnecessary.
    Early neutering has very few side effects in cats.

My kitten Rory was neutered today. He's at home now playing with his toys. I would have got him done at 4 months old but his vet advised us to wait a couple of months. He became 6 months old a couple of days ago so he was booked in immediately.

I think that neutering should be something that people take into consideration before buying a cat. That, along with the vaccinations and micro-chipping.

All of those things should be the bare minimum that people think of.
  • Options
    angelacangelac Posts: 1,948
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I got 2 kittens from CP a couple of months ago and bother were just neutered...they were just over 1kg which is the threshold now for CP neutering. The kitten i got 12 years ago was 6 months before the vet advised he be neutered.

I volunteer at CP and black cats and even kittens are always the last to be rehomed so i am sure there will be lots of young kittens. The one i volunteer at have a maternity section and there are constantly kittens in there, I am sure Coventry is the same. Mine have been neutered, chipped, vaccinated, wormed, flea'd...everything possible, and they are healthy as could be!