Options

Doc Martin (Part 12 — Spoilers)

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    madmother wrote: »
    I think that's all good but I agree with New Park, she could start the script off at £100.
    I'm not sure it matters which episode the suit was worn in and can we be sure anyway? Doesn't he have 2 or 3 suits that are exactly the same?

I'd agree. I don't think it matters about naming the episodes for the suit and it would be extremely difficult to do so anyway. He does have several suits which are exactly the same to change into during takes.

As for signed books and photos, the signed photos which are large in size and mounted nicely go for around £30. All others can be picked up for as little as a few pounds, they don't sell for big money. The same goes for his signed books I'm afraid.

She should do better for the suit and script but I think it has to be a realistic price. Whilst we are all mad about DM and Martin Clunes, not everyone is unfortunately.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 45
    Forum Member
    dcdmfan wrote: »
    I heard that, too, at our fundraising. I just wish they had not taken the fan videos off of Youtube.

There are still DM fan videos on YT - the ones removed were on channels that also had episodes and/ or had received warnings. I can understand where PBS is coming from. These smaller markets will not spend the money to buy DM if they think everyone can see if for free on YT.
  • Options
    mmDerdekeammDerdekea Posts: 1,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NewPark wrote: »
    ReneeBird, I actually like S4 a lot and agree with what you say. It was really masterfully crafted. They were both close to, but never actually, over the top, in their arguments with each other (well, unless you count DM screaming at her in E3 -- the one where he raced over to the cottage to find her not-fainting on the couch).

I found S4E6 to be especially interesting. What we see with LG and the Midwife is exactly a foreshadowing of LG and her mother in S5--she is gullible and easily lead by another, being uncomfortably passive in those roles, not sticking up for herself even when we can feel that she's not wholly agreeing with what's occurring, and it goes badly and negatively effects her relationship with DM. To see it with the midwife was very interesting; to see it again with her mom was sadly unfortunate.
  • Options
    mmDerdekeammDerdekea Posts: 1,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dcdmfan wrote: »
    They are riding on the coat tails of the SOPA legislation that is before congress right now. In fact,
    They gave me pretty much the party line of the pro-SOPA people when they explained why they removed the videos. I corresponded with people from both organizations. APT is the bigger of the two and it has more control over the release of the content than Acorn Media.

I am also of the belief that reps from PBS stations, APT and possibly Acron Media are regularly trolling this forum to find out where we are seeing DM episodes. If you don't like the fan videos taken down, and you live in the US you should contact your congressman and ask them not to vote for SOPA. It's probably going to be watered down, but at this point it is pretty draconian in its wanting to limit Internet content.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/12/16/sopa-vote-delayed_n_1154347.html

SOPA is put on hold for voting until into 2012, and during an election year, it's even more unlikely to pass.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cc.cookie wrote: »
    I have been in touch with Tilly and she has asked that I ask you all for suggestions on how to sell the stuff on ebay.

I suggested she sell each item separately.
    I thought a starting price of 50 - 75 GBP each for suit and script.
    I thought no minimum price for the signed photo and book.

I also thought it would be a good idea to expand the description of each item and head it Doc Martin - original script signed by Martin Clunes from series ? episode number?

Thought it would be good to describe the condition say it is a one and only. Say which eps the suit was worn. Write the exact wording on the things he signed in the description.

What do you think? Does anyone know which eps the suit was worn in?

If anyone in Port Isaccs wants to help her I have her phone number I can send on via pm.

The baby is just out of hospital and she's too busy to come on here.
    I thought it would be a good idea to have a picture of Alfie and describe what his medical condition is. Maybe, a picture of him from the show and a recent picture of him side-by-side? I love that picture of Alfie and his mom!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cc.cookie wrote: »
    I particularly love that ep because of the opening sequence with DM running through the streets to get to her and it is nothing! :D:D:D
    I know! And, how he knocks those kegs over and they go rolling down the street! But, he just keeps on running to Louisa! (I missed that in series 5 also!).
  • Options
    dcdmfandcdmfan Posts: 1,540
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There are still DM fan videos on YT - the ones removed were on channels that also had episodes and/ or had received warnings. I can understand where PBS is coming from. These smaller markets will not spend the money to buy DM if they think everyone can see if for free on YT.

That is their excuse, too. I am cynical and I just don't buy that excuse for the removal of the fan videos of those channels. They're flexing their muscles as a warning to others and I find that distasteful.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Has anybody seen the 2nd KCET behind-the-scenes of DM yet? I wonder why it's not on kcet.org yet? It came on thurs. after DM. :confused:
  • Options
    ConniejConniej Posts: 972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ReneeBird wrote: »
    Has anybody seen the 2nd KCET behind-the-scenes of DM yet? I wonder why it's not on kcet.org yet? It came on thurs. after DM. :confused:

I was wondering about that also. Are they limited only to the one video for 2 minutes? I was hoping at a minimum that they could still show 8 parts even if they were each only 2 minutes. I have a feeling it's the former and not the latter or another vid would already be on their site. :(:(
  • Options
    TantraceciliaTantracecilia Posts: 2,935
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    that is so nice!!!....that's the way to treat your fans!....way to go BP!...I hope the sarcasm-o-meter is on!! :mad:
  • Options
    TxBelleTxBelle Posts: 2,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    portwenner wrote: »
    When the shows started airing on the local PBS station, they followed up the shows with a fund raising drive. The staff who were asking for donations from viewers mentioned that Doc Martin had been "very expensive" to acquire from ITV.

Im being nosy, but I wonder just how expensive they were?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TxBelle wrote: »
    I asked our local PBS station a few months ago about airing more series of DM, and he said the rights cost $10,000 dollars. He said he could purchase several British shows (As Time Goes By, etc.) for the same price as DM. (because I had complained that we've seen those others enough and wasn't it time for something new?!). Our PBS station is airing series 3 right now! And, they're going to purchase 1 and 2 in January! Yea! Tonight is "The Admirer", where AJ and the painter do the hanky-panky. I warned my elderly Aunts and you guys were right, they didn't seem surprised! Of course, I didn't tell them exactly what would happen even though one of them asked me! My mother, on the other hand, said she's excited to see what "the bad part" is! I think all three of them are going to be watching when DM goes into AJ's house with binoculars!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know this is off-topic, but have any of you seen an American tv show called, "Breaking Bad"? The writing is so good, the acting superb. It will blow your mind! :cool::D
  • Options
    ConniejConniej Posts: 972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know this is off-topic, but have any of you seen an American tv show called, "Breaking Bad"? The writing is so good, the acting superb. It will blow your mind! :cool::D

I love that show! It's on Netflix streaming now.
  • Options
    dcdmfandcdmfan Posts: 1,540
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In episode 5 - the one that starts w/ the dream - Penhale comes to the Doc's door in the morning. After Penhale asks him to go for a pint sometime, the Doc pauses for a moment, and during the pause the baby blows a raspberry with his lips just before the Doc says "no". I love to watch the baby in that scene. He is so cute.

Series 5 DM is different from the way he was in series 4. In some ways he is more normal because he has regular conversations with Louisa. The bedroom scenes are so intimate. I think they normalize and soften Martin and humanize him. I used to think that he had to have the blood phobia for him to be sympathetic.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For anyone who hasn't seen it, ITV4 are showing repeats of Murder in Suburbia (with CC starring) so it might be up on ITVplayer.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    New item added to the Therapy page of http://www.docmartinonline.net/
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I asked our local PBS station a few months ago about airing more series of DM, and he said the rights cost $10,000 dollars. He said he could purchase several British shows (As Time Goes By, etc.) for the same price as DM. (because I had complained that we've seen those others enough and wasn't it time for something new?!). Our PBS station is airing series 3 right now! And, they're going to purchase 1 and 2 in January! Yea! Tonight is "The Admirer", where AJ and the painter do the hanky-panky. I warned my elderly Aunts and you guys were right, they didn't seem surprised! Of course, I didn't tell them exactly what would happen even though one of them asked me! My mother, on the other hand, said she's excited to see what "the bad part" is! I think all three of them are going to be watching when DM goes into AJ's house with binoculars!

Thanks Renee, my PBS station was showing season2 of DM and even broke up the special "On the Edge" into a 2 week showing. I was expecting Season 3 to start, but to date, they are not showing anything but they are hawking the DM DVDs and were talking about the new season coming soon. Our DM's show are on Saturday nights. Its interesting how they are on different nights on the PBS stations.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    New chapter of Faker uploading: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/6641769/1/Faker
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 249
    Forum Member

Great Show! I can't tell you how many times my jaw has dropped and I have gasped at what has just happened. Even bought the dvd's
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JJwhy wrote: »
    Great Show! I can't tell you how many times my jaw has dropped and I have gasped at what has just happened. Even bought the dvd's
    To anybody who is going to watch, "Breaking Bad" Season 4, put on your seatbelt, cause it's one hell of a ride!
    My mom said about DM Series 3 ep-4, "The Admirer", "there was a little smile from DM at the very end when he said he'd go to the concert with Louisa". She said his whole face just lit up!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 277
    Forum Member
    Sorry if it's already been mentioned, but Have I got News For You Christmas Special is being hosted by MC on BBC1 9pm on 23/12 and on 25/12 at 11.50pm.
    Also Goodbye Mr Chips is on ITV3 5pm 21/12
    How exciting:D:D:D:o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry if it's already been mentioned, but Have I got News For You Christmas Special is being hosted by MC on BBC1 9pm on 23/12 and on 25/12 at 11.50pm.
    Also Goodbye Mr Chips is on ITV3 5pm 21/12
    How exciting:D:D:D:o

I hope someone gets it uploaded on Youtube quickly before somebody else yanks it off...Id love to see it.:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 94
    Forum Member
    TxBelle wrote: »

I think one of the reasons why Doc Martin is expensive compared to other British shows on PBS is that it is produced by ITV, which is a private, for-profit company - in contrast to most of the other British shows on PBS, which were produced by the BBC.

Another reason for the high cost, I suspect, is that Doc Martin gets about 9 million viewers each week in the UK. In the USA, this would be the equivalent of more than 45 million viewers.

My local PBS station has already shown all of the first four series, with some repeats, but nothing is showing currently. Not sure what they have in mind for Series 5.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    portwenner wrote: »
    I think one of the reasons why Doc Martin is expensive compared to other British shows on PBS is that it is produced by ITV, which is a private, for-profit company - in contrast to most of the other British shows on PBS, which were produced by the BBC.

Another reason for the high cost, I suspect, is that Doc Martin gets about 9 million viewers each week in the UK. In the USA, this would be the equivalent of more than 45 million viewers.

My local PBS station has already shown all of the first four series, with some repeats, but nothing is showing currently. Not sure what they have in mind for Series 5.

Could you imagine what one of the networks would do if they had a show that got 45million viewers consistently? :eek:
This discussion has been closed.