Options

About a dog and a bald patch.

seacamseacam Posts: 21,364
Forum Member
✭✭✭
One of our dogs, ( a Border Cross ), had a stroke early this year but has recovered quite well but there is a weakness in his hind quarters.

Because of it he tends to slump down rather then lay down when he rests.

Getting up is a problem and he tends to lean/use the left side of his left elbow as a lever.

Because of this he has large bald patch where his coat has pulled, it doesn't usually bleed but is dry so we apply glycerine oil.

However the patch is getting larger, I was wondering if there was a padded elbow sock we could buy for him and is this the best method of protecting the elbow and giving his coat a chance to regrow?

Comments

• Options
    molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You may find a t shirt enough to just make a barrier between skin and floor, one of our late doggies started to have problems and we put a t shirt on him which kept his skin much better.
  • Options
    riversmumriversmum Posts: 664
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You could try a baby sock and cut the toes off so it stretches over the elbow. I find Asdas are pretty good, its just trial and error to get one slim enough. They do some with the top folded over that are quite long. I use them for covering cut feet and ripped nails. I don't tape them to the skin but put tape round the sock so it fits snugly.
  • Options
    pie-eyedpie-eyed Posts: 8,456
    Forum Member
    I've also tried the baby sock. It didn't work in the case of my greyhound as even the smallest size slid off his skinny leg. I have, though, a thick padded foot thing, provided by my vet when mine had a foot accident. I think this could work with the toe part cut off and pulled up over the elbow. Ask your vet.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How about holding the sock in place with self sticking bandages ?
  • Options
    seacamseacam Posts: 21,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you for the replies.

What ever I use is going to irritate him but I have been thinking about it.

I looked at adapting a Hock bandage, wrist support, tap wrap, padded chain stay and self grip bandages.

I'm leaning towards adapting some scaffold tube protector or pipe insulation and some grip bandage.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What ever you decide I hope it works, sounds like you have a lovely bond with him and are a very caring owner.
  • Options
    Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    How long does he lie around for?

Our lab' is getting on a bit and I've found that when she lies down she tends to lie down for a long time if she's allowed to and that, in turn, meant she was very stiff when she stands up again.

We solved the problem simply by making sure that she doesn't lie down for a long time, especially after walks.
    It's a bit of effort but it's just a case of talking to her so she'll come to see me, offering her toys and generally interacting with her in the evening after a long walk.
    As a result, she moves about more, doesn't get a chance to stiffen up and that, in turn, has meant that she's more agile and more willing to move around.

Might not help in this case but if you notice that the problem is more noticeable after he's been lying down for a long while then maybe a change of routine would help more than just trying to protect the sore bits?