Gone over to online banking - worth it?

FranglaisFranglais Posts: 3,312
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Finally took the plunge late last week.

Result?

6 visits to bank to get it to open.

3 visits to switch on the "Pay Family, Friends and others" facility.

Impressed? Non!

Anybody else had probs with this?

Which is the best bank for online banking? I might consider switching over to a better performing bank in the New Year?

Comments

• gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,507
    Forum Member
    For whatever reason you seem to have had an extraordinarily bad and unusual experience.
  • Sharona68Sharona68 Posts: 1,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do online banking with Lloyds-TSB.

It's incredibly easy. They set it up in the bank for me, I typed in my password, then a security code was sent by post to my house within about 3 days.

I have no problems setting up standing orders, making payments, doing transfers etc.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can't fault HSBC on-line banking. Been with it for years, never had a problem, and it has saved me a lot of time.
  • DaisyBumblerootDaisyBumbleroot Posts: 24,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OP you will never look back, it will be SO much more easy to manage your money from now on.

I bank with LTSB and they wouldnt let me withdraw from my onlne savings account when I was stood at a desk in the branch, and they wouldnt transfer it for me either! I just said hang on a minute, got my mobile out, logged onto internet banking, did the transfer online, on my mobile, in front of her into my current account and then she gave me the money!

You can tranfer at will, stop direct debits, set up standing orders etc and you are no longer at the mercy of branch opening times - YOU are in control of your money, how it should be.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,123
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Franglais wrote: »
    Finally took the plunge late last week.

Result?

6 visits to bank to get it to open.

3 visits to switch on the "Pay Family, Friends and others" facility.

Impressed? Non!

Anybody else had probs with this?

Which is the best bank for online banking? I might consider switching over to a better performing bank in the New Year?

Nope no problems. When I opened my account they asked if I wanted online banking, I said yes, been using it since.

Not had an issue.

EDIT: I'm with Natwest by the way but also have a Halifax account which is just as easy.
  • davidmcndavidmcn Posts: 12,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Who on earth requires customers to visit a branch to set up online banking?

I've opened various online accounts over the years and never had any real problems.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do mine with Halifax and had nothing like that.

Signed up online and got my password in the post about 3 days later. Simples!
  • finbaarfinbaar Posts: 4,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Used online banking for 10 years now. Been with the Halifax, Smile and now the Cumberland BS (plus lots of others for one off savings accounts). No problems and I can't imagine going back.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 51
    Forum Member
    Couldn't be without online banking. Login at least 3 times a week.

Natwest FTW
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No problems at all with HBOS, don't remember any difficulty in setting it up.
  • _radioamerica_radioamerica Posts: 4,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I use RBS and Halifax (OHs bank) and not had many problems with either. I like Halifax better, I think its more straight forward. The only real problems we had was when someone tried to log into the account and it got frozen and that took a bit of messing around and trips by my husband to the bank to sort out.
  • GogfumbleGogfumble Posts: 22,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No problems with mine (Nationwide) and I regularly use my mums too (Natwest) when I need to do bits for her with no problems.

Set my Nationwide one up years ago. All I can remember was I needed to wait a few days for my customer number to come through the post. After that it was very straight forward.
  • tomvoxxtomvoxx Posts: 2,340
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another positive vote for NatWest. I haven't had a single problem since I started with it. Easy to set up and run.
  • swingalegswingaleg Posts: 102,981
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've got online with HSBC........Im sure it works perfectly well but I can't really think what to use it for

Basically i use a bank account for paying in cheques and drawing out cash and you can't do either of them online..........

I only opened the online because I had a letter saying they were stopping sending monthly statements...........but i still get them.......
  • SarnSarn Posts: 6,318
    Forum Member
    Can't fault First Direct. In fact, most of my friends have transferred their accounts to them because of my raving about them.

Who the hell are you with OP?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 40,102
    Forum Member
    elke21 wrote: »
    Can't fault HSBC on-line banking. Been with it for years, never had a problem, and it has saved me a lot of time.

Same here and it was set up automatically for me 8 years ago.
    swingaleg wrote: »
    I've got online with HSBC........Im sure it works perfectly well but I can't really think what to use it for

I use it for money transfers, checking direct debits, checking balances and viewing statements. It's definitely useful.
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My vote goes to Barclays. I initially didn't qualify for Online Banking when I opened my Barclays basic account and I was gutted - I had relied on it so much with Natwest.

Took around a year before they let me have it, and I rely on it as much as I ever did when I was with NatWest.
  • scorpio manscorpio man Posts: 4,960
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love on-line banking.
    I can set up/increase my overdraft facility while sitting at my PC, not by going into the branch and licking the managers arse to get the same result. :D
  • ba_baracusba_baracus Posts: 3,236
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I feel a bit bemused by the people I know who take half a day off work once a month to go into town to pay all their bills.

I've just spent 10 minutes on my online banking queuing all my bill payments up so they will be sent on payday :)
  • GwrxVurferGwrxVurfer Posts: 5,359
    Forum Member
    ba_baracus wrote: »
    I feel a bit bemused by the people I know who take half a day off work once a month to go into town to pay all their bills.

I've just spent 10 minutes on my online banking queuing all my bill payments up so they will be sent on payday :)

Why? :confused:
  • Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    I had nothing but hassle with using the HBOS online banking system.

The main gripe (although there were others) was that it'd refuse me access unless I was using a specific IP address.

For example, it was fine from home but if I was working abroad it wouldn't let me access my account info' and, what's more, the attempt at "unauthorised access" would cause it to lock me out and generate a new password which'd get posted to my house.

In the end I had so much trouble with it that I went into my local branch and asked for it to be cancelled, only to be told that I could only do that online.
    Strangely, when I threatened to close my account, it turned out that they could cancel it all for me after all.

Bottom line is that my bills are all direct debits anyway and I don't see why I should use my own paper and ink to print out statements for filing when they can post them to me.

I'm sure online banking IS the way forward but my experience with HBOS left me wanting nothing to do with it.
  • ba_baracusba_baracus Posts: 3,236
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GwrxVurfer wrote: »
    Why? :confused:

Why do they do it? I have asked this question, and it is because they don't trust online banking due to reading in the Daily Mail (or similar) about someone who had all their money stolen.

If you take the necessary precautions and are not stupid about it, there is nothing to be fearful of.
  • GwrxVurferGwrxVurfer Posts: 5,359
    Forum Member
    ba_baracus wrote: »
    Why do they do it? I have asked this question, and it is because they don't trust online banking due to reading in the Daily Mail (or similar) about someone who had all their money stolen.

If you take the necessary precautions and are not stupid about it, there is nothing to be fearful of.

Perhaps they would rather take a walk into town than permit a bank to profit from them?
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,507
    Forum Member
    Si_Crewe wrote: »
    I don't see why I should use my own paper and ink to print out statements for filing when they can post them to me.
    Why not just save them to your hard disk instead?
  • Andy_GAndy_G Posts: 11,442
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've been using it for around 8 years, pretty sure I couldn't live without it now.
    Paying bills with a click or two and checking your balance any time you want is amazing.
    Never had any problems at all.