Emmerdale - Past and Present (Part 2)

Comments

• EtherealEthereal Posts: 36,118
    Forum Member
    AllyLK wrote: »
    I just found both Charity and Chas extremely irritating and hope now more than ever that Eve makes friends with Alicia to balance things out!

I hope so too! They both need some friends and would be a great pairing I think.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,685
    Forum Member
    As I said before, it's a matter of personal taste :) If you look at old YouTube clips of Lucy Pargeter, you'll see how different she was originally; no gurning, no exaggerated accent, much less shouting. Obviously, some like both versions, but I find the current one a classic example of overacting. For me it's a shame because I used to like Chas once.
    Hmm fair enough. I haven't been watching that long so the Chas we see now is the one I've pretty much always known, and I like her as such and think she's entertaining. I agree character changes are off putting though so I get where you come from. The likes of Aaron's change is a tad disappointing. As much as I love the character and his coming out storyline, the character has changed dramatically in words which I can't describe, so I'll quote someone from a different thread who put it nicely:
    Aaron has gone from being the racy village tough guy to someone who's ready to burst into tears when he burns his toast! Aaron's character works best when he's like Cain, not when he's like Paddy! Yes, he might be growing up and getting some perspective in his life but he still needs to get his edge back and he needs to be more unpredictable.
    If they keep going like this he could be easily ruined. Declan is another who has changed since Snideshed's departure.
    Andy's supposed to be hated - that's what makes Kelvin Fletcher so good IMO. He portrays Andy's selfish and violent personality brilliantly.
    Again I disagree :o The actor isn't terrible but when I watch his scenes I feel nothing towards him. He doesn't make me feel intimidated/scared/sympathetic/angry etc. Usually just bored. I couldn't tell you if its down to the actor or the storyline but give me a thousand Chas' over him anyday.
    Andy is best used with his top off & working up a sweat on the farm :D

:eek: Andy looks like a blow up doll gone wrong :eek::p
    Forum Member
    I actually prefer Aaron's character much more now. Yeah he does cry too much but I like that he has matured. People do change significantly as they grow up and experience different things (I personally feel like a completely different person to only a year ago) so I don't think it's unrealistic. I would hate to see him regress back to being a thug and I don't want him to be like Cain at all.
  • narobi83narobi83 Posts: 425
    Forum Member
    Hello gang, hope you've all had a good Christmas. The past few episodes of Emmerdale have been great and I'm back up to date once more.

I remember the Chas that first arrived was extremely different form the current Chas however I've always ejoyed the character and find that Lucy plays the part well. I also wouldn't say she gurns, I actually find that she can say a lot just by using her face. You could see her turmoil and hatred all coming through without words. I was glad to see her slap Eve also as it shows the old Chas is still lurking in there somewhere.

I'm intrigued to see where the story with Andy and Katie is going, Sammy is another actress I like but unfortunately never seems to be given anything to do. The scene between her and Cain in the church was a great one, mainly because it was an opportunity to see two characters who rarely interact talking. I always find scenes which throw an unusual blend of characters together work best, such as the scene between Ashley, Laurel, Chas, Charity, Debbie & Noah. Although I don't know how someone hasn't strangled that kid yet, Belle was enough for one smart mouthed Dingle brat.

As for Andy I simply cannot take to the character, I don't know if it's the writing or performance but I just find him completely bland. At one time I hated him which meant he was at least getting some kind of response but ever since the Jo stroyline there's been nothing. It's unfortuate that Karl Davies career took off meaning a return as Robert is unlikely, I think it's also too early to be looking at recasting the character but Andy and Robert always had an interesting relationship and that is where I felt Kelvin always shone when sparring with Robert.

With Aaron I don't see a change of character but more development, they've fleshed the character out to show other sides and as a result this has softened him. However that edge is still there and I think if riled or pushed we'd see that old volatile Aaron burst through. He may be settled now but there's every chance he could return to form if given the right storyline and it still be believeable.
  • mr. mustardmr. mustard Posts: 48,888
    Forum Member
    AllyLK wrote: »
    I for one am loving this story with Katie and Andy - it only makes sense after his obsessive behaviour with Jo that he'd turned his attentions back to the main girl in his life. I honestly cannot call it as to whether it's Andy or Nick crank calling Katie and Gennie.

The 'Elizabeth' mystery is also a very exciting start for 2011 so I think after a quiet few weeks big stories are beginning to take over from the Wyldes and Bartons.:D
    They're two very promising storylines - I'm looking forward to seeing what happens next in both of them :D
    curlypubes wrote: »
    Hmm fair enough. I haven't been watching that long so the Chas we see now is the one I've pretty much always known, and I like her as such and think she's entertaining. I agree character changes are off putting though so I get where you come from.
    The same thing applies to Pollard. He used to be quite a rogue and at times a really nasty piece of work. Since linking up with Val he's become her comedy stooge and the blustering oaf routine is a poor substitue for those who remember the old Pollard :( The 'Elizabeth' mystery is a chance for the character to return to what he did best. Whether the writers actually want Chris Chittell to play it seriously remains in doubt though. The issue at hand ( a possible murder ) certainly demands a dramatic, not comedic approach.
    Forum Member
    The same thing applies to Pollard. He used to be quite a rogue and at times a really nasty piece of work. Since linking up with Val he's become her comedy stooge and the blustering oaf routine is a poor substitue for those who remember the old Pollard :( The 'Elizabeth' mystery is a chance for the character to return to what he did best. Whether the writers actually want Chris Chittell to play it seriously remains in doubt though. The issue at hand ( a possible murder ) certainly demands a dramatic, not comedic approach.

Again, can't comment too much as I didn't watch Emmy back in the day. I don't think I was even born when the plane crash happenned. I think my earliest memory of ED is Chris Tate poisoning himself. I don't really know the old Pollard but I have seen the Plane Crash episode on youtube :o and he was quite interesting in the episode. I don't mind him too much with Val but mostly because I love Val and her comedy is much appreciated. Hopefully Pollard does get to go back to his cruel ways though as the actor seems very capable, and the story already has me gripped even though I hadn't a clue who Elizabeth was until I read the "Who is Elizabeth" thread :o
    - - - - -

As for Aaron, I still like the character and am actually pleased with how he's developed, but a few cheeky/aggressive scenes wouldn't go amiss, like the ones where he was trying to sell Pearl his clapped out car. Whenever I saw him cry I used to think Bless him, that's quite endearing for such a 'hard lad'. Now I just think Aww c'mon!!'. I'm quite happy for him to keep maturing as I'm sure a lot of his past aggression was just the components of being a moody teenager, but I would like to see him have a bit of happiness, and not have the producers drain every tear out of the poor lad.
    Forum Member
    curlypubes wrote: »
    Hopefully Pollard does get to go back to his cruel ways though as the actor seems very capable, and the story already has me gripped even though I hadn't a clue who Elizabeth was until I read the "Who is Elizabeth" thread :o
    I started watching Emmy some time after the crash. I picked up the fact that Pollard had probably murdered his wife from posts on DS.

I like Amy a lot :) I find she interacts with Pollard well and as long as they don't over-emphasise the lawless teen angle too much I think she'll be a good addition to the show.

What with the 'Elizabeth' storyline, Doug's visits into town, and the harrassment of Katie & co, Emmy is throwing up some interesting mysteries at the moment. Though Andy will probably get the blame for what happened tonight, I have a suspicion that Henshaw's engineering the whole thing. Theft isn't Andy's style and this operation seems too well-planned for his thuggish personality.

Jackson remains a perplexing character. I can't see how he and those around him can develop much in future storylines. Maybe it would have been better to have him wheelchair-bound with the hope of some sort of recovery on the horizon.

Chas was back in her most natural mode tonight - drunken idiot :rolleyes: All in all, I reckon Carl had a lucky escape :D

Another good episode :D
  • AidaAida Posts: 2,786
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My perceptions differ somewhat - the current 'mysteries' aren't actually that mysterious, although they are ludicrous - which I (grudgingly) suppose is in line with the current competition between the top three soaps to create ever more unrealistic 'life' situations to attract the type of audience who seem to crave endless melodrama.

Starting with the least mysterious, Doug sloping off to Hotten will almost surely turn out to be him having found another lady friend which will serve as a plot device to get him and Diane back together.

Next, the Slugden/Henshaw situation - it's quite a leap in suspending disbelief to imagine that a detective-sergeant, no matter how ineptly portrayed in the Wylde saga, with a career-path mapped out, a decent salary, many years of service under his belt and the prospects of a generous pension in prospect - plus presumably - a considerable workload - would risk all of the aforementioned for no better reason than to get rid of a 'love-rival' who has nothing going for him and whom the object of his, Henshaw's, desire has already rejected on several occasions.

Perhaps it's an elaborate attempt by the scriptwriters to 'rehabilitate' Angry Slugden in the eyes of viewers who remain disgusted by the wife-beating saga, by framing him for something he is, for once, innocent of doing. It won't work for me - it only worked in Ryan Lamb's case because he was an ordinary, hard-working, innocent character who did no harm to anyone. Quite frankly, I couldn't care less what the outcome is if it could only guarantee that Slugger disappeared from the series for good.

I suspect the whole Pollard saga will turn out to be a damp squib of a plot device to justify the continuing presence of that stupid orange girl - although why she's there at all is a mystery to me since the scriptwriters can't even find decent storylines for established younger characters like Victoria, Hannah, Scarlett and Gennie.

The Jackson situation has been dead in the water for me since the powers-that-be stupidly decided to make him tetraplegic - it's just another example of the desperation of the production team who seem to be incapable of thinking beyond the shock and pathos value of the next big stunt.

As for Chas, as much as I like the character, surely Carl would at least get advice from a solicitor - he could be in a good position to sue her for intention to defraud since she admitted in a church full of people, and in front of a vicar, that the whole thing was a con?

Ooops, sorry - I forgot that this is 'Emmerdale' and commonsense broke through for a moment!
  • Jimmy SkitzJimmy Skitz Posts: 3,584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    where has this Andy getting framed thing come from? not seen it anywhere other then in this thread
  • AllyLKAllyLK Posts: 877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I really enjoyed this evening's episode - I'm really glad that they've shown that Chas' natural instinct to turn to drink will not solve all her problems. It was hilarious that her constant advisor, Charity, couldn't see that going on benders every night was only going to make the eventual breakdown worse. Debbie was spot on and sometimes shows a lot more maturity than both her parents combined. I'm actually always forgetting how young Debbie is. I was delighted to see that Eve isn't ready to roll over for the Dingle Dames either. Yes she did something wrong but Chas too has screwed over people in the past and Eve can't be crucified forever while Carl swans off to safety for a few weeks. The previous version of Eve also wouldn't have taken everything without fighting back. I'll like to see them explore Chas' drinking - a good link up to what happened her father.

The Pollard saga is excellent. Even if it turns out to be only a brief storyline its a great shout out to the past and David & Amy are really adding to the story. I've an idea what's going to happen but roll on tomorrow is all I'll say!! You can tell that Pollard really loves Val though as his main worry seems to be her finding out the speculation surrounding Elizabeth's death.

I'm continuing to enjoy the Katie story - again another story delving into the past exploring her complex relationship with Andy and also keeping in our minds what happened with Jo.

Finally as for Diane all I'll say is just desserts - after the way she treated Doug I'm happy that he might have another lady friend. Also great to be seeing more of Laurel again, hopefully she'll have a lot more screentime with Nicola - one of my favourite friendships in the dales.
  • Face Of JackFace Of Jack Posts: 7,181
    Forum Member
    After bumping this page up from page 5 (!) I had to resurrect it.
    I've glanced through other pages (and in one particular thread ...no I wont say which...that seemed very bitchy and they talk all the way through it - how do they appreciate the episode?)
    That's why I'm typing now - before it starts again!

Anyway - so far so good. Michael is back from Pollard's past, and blames him for Elizabeths death!
    The truth is revealed next week!
  • cazzzcazzz Posts: 12,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    aha i said he was in prison!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    and what a surprise a criminal who blames everyone else for them breaking the law...
  • AllyLKAllyLK Posts: 877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well well well, Michael Feldman returns and played by the same actor nearly two decades later! I must say Eric was brilliant tonight and it was great to see Amy's involvement and her sticking by the Pollards. Alan seeing Michael and mentioning it to the likes of Betty will help publicise the story so it won't just be a family story like the Jacob custody battle. I'm fascinated to see where this goes but if Eric pays him Michael will only go away temporarily and come back for more when the cash runs out. Same as was said above as soon as I saw Michael I thought 'prison'!!

Onto the other current mystery - I think the better twist would be if it is Andy! Thank god Brenda linked Katie and Gennie's current predicament to Viv's 'robberies'. The script writing is spot on at the moment. Also a great shout out to Viv and Terry's dancing days! I find Brenda's snidey remarks very funny at the moment. Also like Alicia's comments to Chas - my Chas hatred is back I'm afraid....

I'm beginning to warm to the Maceys - I like Declan and I think Mia has fit in very quickly. Still undecided about 'Pops' and Ella but I'll give it awhile before I condemn them like Chas.

Derek's fascination with Lisa continues, creepy....:eek:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    it shouldn't be Andy as he wouldn't make a good soap baddie, just allow the character to be rehabilitated and move on, think this story should see Katie start to blame him, his innocence proven and he FINALLY cuts ties with her and has nothing more to do with her
  • cloudfactorycloudfactory Posts: 807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mathew vaughn who plays micheal looks a bit like richard armitage. maybe he'll be lucas norths brother in the next series of spooks,looking for revenge(same as he's doing in emmerdale)
    Forum Member
    Really great to have so many characters who have been in the background recently featured in both of tonights episodes. I've enjoyed Eric, Val and Amy being the main storyline despite not knowing much about the plane crash. More Brenda is always welcome for me too as I find her hilarious. :D

I wish we had seen more of Adam and Scarlett struggling before this storyline. Their relationship has never been shown much so I'm a bit confused why he is now sick of her. Unless the intention is to imply it's Mia that has made Adam reconsider his relationship with Scarlett which would make sense.

Still hating the creepy copper. It would be interesting if he turns out to be behind the break-in but I'm not sure if I would really buy it as he was so sanctimonious during the Wylde saga.
    Forum Member
    Ethereal wrote: »
    Really great to have so many characters who have been in the background recently featured in both of tonights episodes. I've enjoyed Eric, Val and Amy being the main storyline despite not knowing much about the plane crash.
    I agree Ethers :) I like Amy - I can't for the life of me see why she's received so much stick on the threads :confused: The actor's playing a wayward teen very well IMO and I don't get the 'orange' tag either. Her complexion looks fine on my telly! Pollard's got a decent storyline after a hiatus of several years, and though Chris Chittell is still hamming it up a bit, he's better at this than being a full-time clown.

The mystery at Katie's house is intriguing. While it seems pretty obvious that Henshaw's behind it, the fact that Katie & Gennie have actually got something to do more than 'talk about boys' is great :D

Declan's family are settling in well too. Of course, bigger storylines will be the acid test, but so far so good.

Last night's episodes, minus too much Chas, cold turkey, paraplegia and other disabilities were much better :)
    Forum Member
    Agreed that it was great to see older caracters take centre stage again. I've never really rated Pollard as a character because he never had much to do but this storyline does have me gripped so more of it please Emmy! I think Chris is playing Pollard fine but that chuckle he does after almost every sentence is a bit annoying :o. Also any excuse to give Val more screentime is more than welcome .. and I'm an Amy fan too. She is a bit orange though in fairness, and sometimes I do have to stop and try and translate what she has said into understandable English :p.

Loving (!) that we're getting more Gennie as she's one of my favorites despite hardly even being on screen. I always felt the writers didn't know what to do with her but including her in this story is great and its given her and Katie a chance to show us what they got, which has been great so far. I'm enjoying the story despite the outcome being way too obvious.

The Maceys are still a bit bland to me. 'Pops' would be much better if he just sat in a chair yelling DRINK! Declan has been reduced to a bit of a loser and Ella is as exciting as a plank of wood. So far Mia is the only one to have made a lasting impression and thats probably because she spends less time with the family than the others.

I was quite pleased with the Holly stuff last night. I'm glad the bulk of that storyline is over but it was nice to see Holly on the road to recovery and admitting that she's a drug addict. Has anyone else noticed recently that they've referred to Holly's lack of eating? She kept saying she wasn't hungry a few episodes ago and she didn't really eat her pasta lass night :o. I wonder if they're going to go down the anorexia route with her, but I haven't heard anything so who knows.
  • Melephunk2010Melephunk2010 Posts: 38,243
    Forum Member
    I have to say, as much as i love Jackson, he's made Aaron quite dull. (pre crash too) I understand Jackson's past and that he hates violence etc. but dumping him every single time they have an argument is a bit much. I've always loved Aaron as the "tough lad" and the "mini-Cain", but he's practically been forced into changing if he wants to be with Jackson. I lost a lot of love for Jackson when he dumped Aaron as soon as Clyde died, cause to be honest, who wouldn't want revenge?
    Forum Member
    I agree Ethers :) I like Amy - I can't for the life of me see why she's received so much stick on the threads :confused: The actor's playing a wayward teen very well IMO and I don't get the 'orange' tag either. Her complexion looks fine on my telly! Pollard's got a decent storyline after a hiatus of several years, and though Chris Chittell is still hamming it up a bit, he's better at this than being a full-time clown.

I think she was much more orange when she first came into the show. Now I think she looks fine and I agree she is a really good actress. :)
    Forum Member
    I have to say, as much as i love Jackson, he's made Aaron quite dull. (pre crash too) I understand Jackson's past and that he hates violence etc. but dumping him every single time they have an argument is a bit much.
    I do feel the disability set-up has hindered both Aaron & Jackson, despite the powerful scenes of tragedy we've had so far. Aaron played a thug really convincingly before, but there seems little chance of that side of his personality returning. Surely the character's not just going to remain as a nurse for Jackson?
    I think she was much more orange when she first came into the show. Now I think she looks fine and I agree she is a really good actress. :)
    Kat in EE is orange - not Amy :D
    Forum Member
    I do feel the disability set-up has hindered both Aaron & Jackson, despite the powerful scenes of tragedy we've had so far. Aaron played a thug really convincingly before, but there seems little chance of that side of his personality returning. Surely the character's not just going to remain as a nurse for Jackson?

I don't think the writers thought about this storyline long term. They knew they could get a lot of emotional scenes from Danny Miller and The Quirke in the initial stages. But it's fallen a bit flat now he's back in the village and having to deal with being paralysed.
    Kat in EE is orange - not Amy :D

Haha yes. No comparison between the two! :D
    Forum Member
    I don't think the writers thought about this storyline long term. They knew they could get a lot of emotional scenes from Danny Miller and The Quirke in the initial stages. But it's fallen a bit flat now he's back in the village and having to deal with being paralysed.
    Yeah, the storyline was effectively over when it was revealed that Jackson wouldn't move again :( I know the writers might be breaking new ground with this, but apart from the turmoil in Jackson's mind, it's a bit of a dramatic dead end.

Without the euthanasia route I can't see how anything unexpected or very entertaining can be gained from the situation. Moreover, it's restricted Jackson enormously, who I always quite liked as a character.
  • sheepiefarmsheepiefarm Posts: 27,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Without the euthanasia route I can't see how anything unexpected or very entertaining can be gained from the situation. Moreover, it's restricted Jackson enormously, who I always quite liked as a character.

I actually disagree - I think Marc Silcock has really come into his own with this story. Before he was just Aaron's stooge - the great boyfriend, designed & set up to highlight Aaron's failings as a person.
    How wonderful was St Tumnus compared to the hell-on-earth that was Aaron Livesy.
    He was nothing more than a contrived character.

It does amuse me slightly that everyone has practically written him off now as a character who is gonna end up having his ashes scattered in the same field as Clyde.

I don't think that's by any means certain yet.

However, I will say, that this relationship story nonsense has completely run its course.

This whole storyline with Jackson and his accident was nothing more than the storyliners hastily designing a story for Danny Miller - and sadly the characterisation of Aaron Livesy has been shot to pieces in the process.
This discussion has been closed.