hd television

stevehuntstevehunt Posts: 286
Forum Member
hi is it possible to buy a television that has a h d integrated tuner inside with out buying a freeview hd box ?

Comments

• Colin_LondonColin_London Posts: 12,703
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    stevehunt wrote: »
    hi is it possible to buy a television that has a h d integrated tuner inside with out buying a freeview hd box ?

Yes! Most large screen panel TVs from higher-end manufacturers have Freeview HD build in nowadays. There are also some budget models available. You should look for 'Freeview HD' or 'DVB-T2' in the specification.

There are also TVs with Freesat HD receivers built in (although these are fewer).
  • R410R410 Posts: 2,991
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes it is, you need to look for a TV with the 'Freeview HD' logo on not the the standard 'Freeview' logo.

Freeview HD logo: http://www.freeviewdigitaltvaerial.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/Freeview-HD.jpg

Freeview SD logo: http://www.theaerialcompany.com/siteimages/hires/freeview-logo.jpg
  • Everything GoesEverything Goes Posts: 12,972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes! Most large screen panel TVs from higher-end manufacturers have Freeview HD build in nowadays. There are also some budget models available. You should look for 'Freeview HD' or 'DVB-T2' in the specification.

There are also TVs with Freesat HD receivers built in (although these are fewer).

Im surprised at the huge amount of TV's of all prices that don't support Freeview HD :eek:

The majority are still bog standard Freeview DVB-T.
  • derek500derek500 Posts: 24,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Im surprised at the huge amount of TV's of all prices that don't support Freeview HD :eek:

The majority are still bog standard Freeview DVB-T.

Just checked Currys website. They have 139 TVs 32" and over of which 107 have Freeview HD.

John Lewis, all screen sizes, 111 out of 142 have it.
  • VisionMan1VisionMan1 Posts: 2,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    derek500 wrote: »
    Just checked Currys website. They have 139 TVs 32" and over of which 107 have Freeview HD.

Yeah. I read a market analysis report some months ago which stated that eventually TV's would only have Freeview HD built into them, not SD. Which would be good news for consumers.
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,439
    Forum Member
    VisionMan1 wrote: »
    Yeah. I read a market analysis report some months ago which stated that eventually TV's would only have Freeview HD built into them, not SD.

They will still have SD as well of course :D

Which would be good news for consumers.

Apart from they won't have the option to buy a cheaper set that doesn't include a more expensive tuner they don't need (and often can't use) - such as the many Sky and VM only customers.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Originally Posted by VisionMan1

Yeah. I read a market analysis report some months ago which stated that eventually TV's would only have Freeview HD built into them, not SD.

They will still have SD as well of course :D

Quote:
    Which would be good news for consumers.

Apart from they won't have the option to buy a cheaper set that doesn't include a more expensive tuner they don't need (and often can't use) - such as the many Sky and VM only customers.

And your losing sight of the fact that as more and more devices start to use DVB-T2 tuners, the price of those tuners will just come down, and down, and down. Because such is the way of technology. And manufacturing too.
    Forum Member
    And your losing sight of the fact that as more and more devices start to use DVB-T2 tuners, the price of those tuners will just come down, and down, and down. Because such is the way of technology. And manufacturing too.

Down and down - but still morethan SD only, and a complete waste for many people.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Down and down - but still morethan SD only, and a complete waste for many people.

No, not when HD tuners become the majority, and not minority of device tuners. As thats when the minority becomes the more expensive to provide.
  • neyney Posts: 12,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

You will still need a Freeview + or Freeview + HD box if you want to record TV programes.
    I also think in time they will stop selling just Freeview boxes and just sell PVR Freeview + or Freeview + HD boxes.

Darren
  • RestorerRestorer Posts: 2,092
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ney wrote: »
    You will still need a Freeview + or Freeview + HD box if you want to record TV programes.
    I also think in time they will stop selling just Freeview boxes and just sell PVR Freeview + or Freeview + HD boxes.
    Darren

And with the price of flash memory continuing to fall expect to see PVR functionality built into TVs within a few years.
    Forum Member
    No, not when HD tuners become the majority, and not minority of device tuners. As thats when the minority becomes the more expensive to provide.

You're rather ignoring the fact that it's NOT a tuner that's required, it's demodulation and decoding, done on very large pieces of silicon - with an HD one (which presumably does SD as well by now?) been a number of times larger than an SD one.

It's unlikely manufacturing costs for HD silicon will ever be less than SD only ones (imagine you're casting concrete pavers, and one type takes one bag of concrete, and another takes twenty bags - economies of scales will never make the 20 bags cheaper).

What WILL happen is that Freeview HD will become the norm (as it should), simply because it will be come more and more difficult to sell non-Freeview HD sets, so manufacturers will stop making them.

This just means millions of people will be paying slightly more for sets that will never be used on the extra function - I don't see how that is 'good news for consumers'?.
    Forum Member
    Restorer wrote: »
    And with the price of flash memory continuing to fall expect to see PVR functionality built into TVs within a few years.

TV's with PVR's inside has been done (more than once), it flopped every time - and all are now discontinued.

I wouldn't expect to see it again, the current system of providing a USB socket for an external HDD makes far more sense, and allows customers the option.
  • Colin_LondonColin_London Posts: 12,703
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Restorer wrote: »

Both of my HDTVs already have PVR functionality built in. However, you have to add your own storage for it to work, and of course it is only single tuner (so you can't record and watch at the same time, unless the programmes are on the same Mux).

So still have a PVR/Youview box!
  • ds_readerds_reader Posts: 10,353
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TV's with PVR's inside has been done (more than once), it flopped every time - and all are now discontinued.

I wouldn't expect to see it again, the current system of providing a USB socket for an external HDD makes far more sense, and allows customers the option.

Current LG **lm6**T models contain DVR functionality to external storage. ;)
  • ds_readerds_reader Posts: 10,353
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Yes ... outside the UK.

I would be very silly for any manufacture in the UK not to use Freeview branding, for a TV with a DVBT2 tuner.
  • jj20xjj20x Posts: 2,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You're rather ignoring the fact that it's NOT a tuner that's required, it's demodulation and decoding....

Really? Try getting a DVB-T tuner to make any sense of a DVB-T2 signal. :p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ds_reader wrote: »
    Yes ... outside the UK.

I would be very silly for any manufacture in the UK not to use Freeview branding, for a TV with a DVBT2 tuner.

He wasn't asking about freeview branding.
  • nvingonvingo Posts: 8,619
    Forum Member
    ...This just means millions of people will be paying slightly more for sets that will never be used on the extra function - I don't see how that is 'good news for consumers'?.
    For Sky/VM customers the inclusion of a terrestrial tuner and SD decoder is an unnecessary extra.
    Where are the large-screen HDMI/scart monitors that would be more appropriate to many users?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nvingo wrote: »
    For Sky/VM customers the inclusion of a terrestrial tuner and SD decoder is an unnecessary extra.
    Where are the large-screen HDMI/scart monitors that would be more appropriate to many users?

Then they should just buy a monitor, I have VM and don't consider the terrestrial tuner in the tv to be an unnecessary extra.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,856
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nvingo wrote: »

Hardly, if such customers like something to watch that is on their Freeview , why waste money having all the other gubbins switched on at the mains?
    Forum Member
    jj20x wrote: »
    Really? Try getting a DVB-T tuner to make any sense of a DVB-T2 signal. :p

How does that help you receive Sky or VM via HDMI or SCART, which is the sole TV system for millions of viewers?.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,252
    Forum Member
    How does that help you receive Sky or VM via HDMI or SCART, which is the sole TV system for millions of viewers?.
    Who cares about Sky users?

They already have money to throw away on monthly subscription charges, I doubt a couple of quid for a tuner will phase them.