Robot Wars

stuntmasterstuntmaster Posts: 5,070
Forum Member
I loved this when it was on, I am going to see it live this sunday, so can't wait.

however spotted this petition.

lets sign it and get the ball rolling to bring it back!

https://www.change.org/p/the-british-broadcasting-association-bring-robot-wars-back-to-our-screens

Comments

• Mr SirsMr Sirs Posts: 4,835
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's probably plenty of people who couldn't stand the show, but I always watched it when it was on (BBC2) - great fun. Wonder if we sill see it again on tv? - but thanks for the heads up - didn't realise it was still on the go in the shape of regular tours/events etc...
  • AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's hard to see it coming back now because nowadays the public are familiar with real robots on the news when there is a new technological advancement, which look a lot more impressive than what are effectively remote controlled cars.
  • stuntmasterstuntmaster Posts: 5,070
    Forum Member
    Mr Sirs wrote: »
    There's probably plenty of people who couldn't stand the show, but I always watched it when it was on (BBC2) - great fun. Wonder if we sill see it again on tv? - but thanks for the heads up - didn't realise it was still on the go in the shape of regular tours/events etc...

yep

www.robotwars.tv

got some new house robots.

Sir Killalot is no more, as is shunt, refbot, and sgt bash. basically they went into hiding after the tv series and no one can find where they were put.

but Major Damage is like a reworked sir killalot, and matilda is still going. theres a new one called oll-e.

support is very strong I went to the portsmouth one and it was practically sold out. The kids even though they never seen the series love it.

They also tour schools whereby they teach roboteering, and with the release of the raspberry Pi only further helps this.

there is a keen interest in it still so there is a support and a case for it to be on TV. I agree though we probably wont see it again.

look it up on youtube, try searching 'Robot wars Portsmouth 2015' to see what its like.

Bigger the awareness the better chance it stands.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,848
    Forum Member
    It got killed of by TV as C5 (I think) insisted that house robots would be allowed to wreck competitors robots if they were immobilised.

So most of the good teams pulled out. Programme died.
  • stuntmasterstuntmaster Posts: 5,070
    Forum Member
    It got killed of by TV as C5 (I think) insisted that house robots would be allowed to wreck competitors robots if they were immobilised.

So most of the good teams pulled out. Programme died.

Yes channel 5 have a habit of doing that.

Not that I watch Big Brother but as soon as they had it, they revamped the side show, moved it past watershead and made it crude to attract more viewers.
  • jaffboy151jaffboy151 Posts: 1,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I loved robot wars, would be nice to see a revamp of the show come back but it's a little soon so it will never happen. Was pleased to see Dave showing scrapheap challenge again, another of my favourite shows that was finally stopped by channel 4, takes me back to a few years ago when TV had more on then just click bate reality shows
  • Bio MaxBio Max Posts: 2,207
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jaffboy151 wrote: »
    I loved robot wars, would be nice to see a revamp of the show come back but it's a little soon so it will never happen. Was pleased to see Dave showing scrapheap challenge again, another of my favourite shows that was finally stopped by channel 4, takes me back to a few years ago when TV had more on then just click bate reality shows

Your prayers are answered! They're making a new series - confirmed today by the BCC.

Can't wait - loved this when I was a teenager - would love to see some of the old robot's dusted off and returns - especially Razer!
  • SMIDSYmk2SMIDSYmk2 Posts: 7,806
    Forum Member
    I hope the bring back all the house robots, won't be the same without Sir Killalot.
    I'm so excited for this, it was such a good show.
  • DanManF1DanManF1 Posts: 8,321
    Forum Member
    A great show, certainly played a part in my childhood.

I will watch the revival, although I can't help but feel the BBC have completely ran out of new ideas.
  • Vast_GirthVast_Girth Posts: 9,793
    Forum Member
    So excitied!! I cant wait for this!

I wonder if they will bring back Craig Charles to host.
  • StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I had to laugh when I saw it's being filmed in Glasgow. That's where all the really hard robots come from.

"See you Tinny!"
  • NoEntry2kNoEntry2k Posts: 14,982
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maybe they were influenced by the fact the US version (BattleBots) was revived by ABC in the US last summer, and was successful enough to get another season due to air this year.
  • njpnjp Posts: 27,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does anyone think there ought by now to be a similar contest for autonomous robots? Or is that a bit too dangerous? Or perhaps too boring?
  • DandemDandem Posts: 13,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bring back Craig Charles for this, he'd probably be well up for it. Don't do what ITV did for Stars In Their Eyes and bring in someone crap.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There are currently repeats on Challenge .

I enjoyed it as a bit of fluff TV but I wasn't what you call a huge fan.
    I was a fan Phillipa Forrester and the other girl "Julia someorother" in their leather togs and tight black tee shirts though :blush:

:D
  • DJ JimmyDJ Jimmy Posts: 7,166
    Forum Member
    Brilliant news. Hopefully Jonathan Pearce will do the commentary again.

Rumour has it that the BBC still have the house robots somewhere (the Matilda used in the live shows is a new build) so hopefully they can came back in some form.

Overall though, it'll be a nice nostalgia hit, six episodes sounds quite low though.
  • davrosdodebirddavrosdodebird Posts: 8,692
    Forum Member
    The house robots are known to be in the care of the BBC engineer who mostly built them so assuming they are in good condition it would be great to see them in action again :)

...except cassius chrome. Not cassius chrome.
  • davrosdodebirddavrosdodebird Posts: 8,692
    Forum Member
    DJ Jimmy wrote: »
    Brilliant news. Hopefully Jonathan Pearce will do the commentary again.

Rumour has it that the BBC still have the house robots somewhere (the Matilda used in the live shows is a new build) so hopefully they can came back in some form.

Overall though, it'll be a nice nostalgia hit, six episodes sounds quite low though.

That's what I thought, perhaps future series (if any) will be longer?
  • soapfan_1973soapfan_1973 Posts: 3,624
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is being shown every weekday on H2 at 11pm. Tonights episode is Season 3 Episode 8
  • Free RadicalFree Radical Posts: 374
    Forum Member
    This is great news! Hope Craig Charles comes back.

Slim chance of Philippa returning.

This has made my day :)
  • albion-mad-nickalbion-mad-nick Posts: 4,078
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Absolutely delighted that it's a returning. Was a staple of my childhood, this and The Simpsons on BBC 2 of an evening!
  • DJ JimmyDJ Jimmy Posts: 7,166
    Forum Member
    The house robots are known to be in the care of the BBC engineer who mostly built them so assuming they are in good condition it would be great to see them in action again :)

...except cassius chrome. Not cassius chrome.

I thought Chris Reynolds (the engineer) had them initially, but the BBC claimed rights over them (apologies if I'm wrong though.)

Of course. In my eyes that abomination didn't happen. Atrocious piece of junk.
  • Hamlet77Hamlet77 Posts: 22,440
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thus is great news, I really enjoyed it BBC 2, but Channel 5 wrecked it for me. So glad the Beeb is giving it another go.

My gawd I'm looking forward to a uk tv show. What is the world coming too.
  • VerenceVerence Posts: 104,584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Spin to win!!
  • andersonsonsonandersonsonson Posts: 6,454
    Forum Member
    Fantastic news! Loved the PS2/PS3 game too