Is it still worth having a television?

2»

Comments

• Options
    CravenHavenCravenHaven Posts: 13,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    davor wrote: »
    If you ask me, yes. Television and a computer device are the best thing ever to own in a household. Unless of course you are an amish or the Pope Francis. :D
    I believe Pope Francis watches Vatican 2.
    (* theologists are rolling in the aisles, trust me :kitty:)
  • Options
    primosprimosprimosprimos Posts: 1,067
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gill P wrote: »
    At least when you reach the age of 75 you won't have to pay for the tv licence!

Really? That's hilarious.
  • Options
    JeffG1JeffG1 Posts: 15,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Really? That's hilarious.
    Oh, why?
  • Options
    starrystarry Posts: 12,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It depends on you being alive by then, the same goes for any rising pension age.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    starry wrote: »
    It depends on you being alive by then, the same goes for any rising pension age.
    75 is nothing these days.
  • Options
    starrystarry Posts: 12,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lol, that's a huge generalisation.
  • Options
    Old EndeavourOld Endeavour Posts: 9,852
    Forum Member
    Not taking a look at tonight's schedule!

There is absolutely nothing of interest for me on tonight on any channel.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    starry wrote: »
    lol, that's a huge generalisation.
    Well, I have two years to go, so wish me luck.
  • Options
    CappySpectrumCappySpectrum Posts: 2,907
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Watch more BBC channels? No adverts and it's free (well, almost free)

How's it free? You're paying a TV license to view it.
    pete137 wrote: »
    One of the worst things about the current trend of mobile phones and tablets is that people are now using these as a viable way of viewing tv and films. Films and tv programs were not made to be viewed on such small screens. How can you compare the viewing experience of a large tv wigh surround sound to that of a small screen on a phone or tablet. Its ludicrous.

Its also very unsociable. i have a friend who watches tv in bed on his tablet while his wife is next to him watching the same show on her tablet. Its the generation where people stare at screens 10" away from their face.

I love my tv. I havent watched a single program with adverts "live" for about 10 years so adverts arent a problem for me.
    The eye strain as well. How old is your friend and his wife?
    JimothyD wrote: »
    I can't see us getting rid of our living room TV. It would be nice to free up that corner and replace it with a nice chair, but the wife and I will watch TV together - a Friday night having some cheese and wine while watching separate shows on our own devices wouldn't be the same.

Free up the corner? It's a CRT TV?
    Not taking a look at tonight's schedule!

There is absolutely nothing of interest for me on tonight on any channel.

The Humans TV series with William Hurt sounds interesting.
  • Options
    ohglobbitsohglobbits Posts: 4,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pete137 wrote: »
    One of the worst things about the current trend of mobile phones and tablets is that people are now using these as a viable way of viewing tv and films. Films and tv programs were not made to be viewed on such small screens. How can you compare the viewing experience of a large tv wigh surround sound to that of a small screen on a phone or tablet. Its ludicrous.

Its also very unsociable. i have a friend who watches tv in bed on his tablet while his wife is next to him watching the same show on her tablet. Its the generation where people stare at screens 10" away from their face.

I love my tv. I havent watched a single program with adverts "live" for about 10 years so adverts arent a problem for me.
    These days your tv can be used to watch in exactly the same way a mobile or tablet could, it's hard to imagine any situation in which your viewing would not be better through an actual tv. We have a large tv and reasonable surround sound, watching telly is a pleasure, anything that's not on the bbc is either recorded or streamed via apple tv. I could live without sky but my sports obsessed husband certainly couldn't, the cost is high but he deems it worth that much.
    Agree with these posts. TV is a shared experience, smart TVs offer the best of both worlds.
    JimothyD wrote: »
    There needs to be a TV content revolution. Watching TV feels clunky, and it is rigged in favour of large broadcasters who dominate. I hope that once broadband is fast enough to serve most homes with HD streaming, TV will become more about the viewer and less about broadcasters trying to serve us up with the same crap year after year (X factor!). Hopefully TV will become more like YouTube - people and broadcasters who generate interesting/entertaining content will be more successful than large broadcasters who persist with lazy programming. The whole payment model would have to change to make that viable, so hopefully that will do away with fixed subscriptions which mean you pay for channels you don't want, and be replaced with a fairer mix of pricing options, like we currently see in the music industry.
    Micropayments aren't enough to sustain music let alone a much more costly medium. People are averse to paying for things they can get for nothing which limits VOD imo. Netflix hasn't a British equivalent so is limited to people who want a catalogue of US imports and films.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How's it free? You're paying a TV license to view it
    Only partly. You need to pay a licence fee to watch TV as it is broadcast on any channel, not just the BBC.
  • Options
    CappySpectrumCappySpectrum Posts: 2,907
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's still not free.