Options

Soap Ratings Thread (Part 5)

SupportSupport Posts: 70,849
Administrator
rzt wrote: »
Yeah, I think it's definitely in trouble. The % of its audience it's lost in two years is equivalent to EastEnders suddenly averaging 4.5m in two years time. It's completely unacceptable!

What might help Hollyoaks' cause to not get axed is that I think Channel 4 has to make a certain amount of British drama per year and Hollyoaks really helps towards that quota. If they axed it, they'd have to make a lot of other British drama which could be quite expensive compared to now.

But things don't look good for the show - since the new EP took over, instead of ratings going back up, they've pretty much declined even more apart from a couple of episodes.
    Admin Notice: This thread is a continuation of: http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1115483

Comments

• Options
      rztrzt Posts: 21,363
      Forum Member
      ✭✭✭
      davedub wrote:
      Hollyoaks was pulling in 1.47 this time last year because the loyal viewers were trying to stick with the show that lucy allan was pulling under. The ratings have being worse earlier this year but they are gradually improving
      It was only worse during the summer and a few episodes in May when fewer people were watching TV.

Generally, however, it's rating no better at the moment than how it was doing in Spring. And ratings should be improving at this time of the year anyway when more people watch TV.
    • Options
      ::Adam::::Adam:: Posts: 7,223
      Forum Member
      It was only worse during the summer and a few episodes in May when fewer people were watching TV.

Generally, however, it's rating no better at the moment than how it was doing in Spring. And ratings should be improving at this time of the year anyway when more people watch TV.

You're talking like people are just going to switch back onto the show - when, they will not.
    • Options
      robjames69robjames69 Posts: 2,394
      Forum Member
      ✭✭✭
      If you compare the 3rd week of October in 2008 Hollyoaks biggest episode had 2.3m viewers, making it the 7th most watched show on C4, the same week this year, the show did not make the Top 30 for the station, meaning its ratings where lower that 1.5m.
      Also it went as low as 600,000 earlier this year.

This is based on C4 only, not the E4 etc. but as rzt said, imagine EE regularly putting in 4m an episode, even less in the summer or Corrie? It would cause outrage and dispute on this forum!
    • Options
      ::Adam::::Adam:: Posts: 7,223
      Forum Member
      Hollyoaks isn't EE and Corrie though, it never has been and never will be.
    • Options
      robjames69robjames69 Posts: 2,394
      Forum Member
      ✭✭✭
      still shouldnt be hemoraging viewers though shoud it :rolleyes:
    • Options
      Forum Member
      ✭✭✭
      ::Adam:: wrote: »
      You're talking like people are just going to switch back onto the show - when, they will not.
      I'm not saying it's something which happens instantly but the show has been declining in the ratings since late-2008 so there's been enough time already (almost 2 years) to sort it out and try and gain back viewers. Instead the ratings show no sign of improving and are still way down compared to a year ago!
      ::Adam:: wrote: »
      Hollyoaks isn't EE and Corrie though, it never has been and never will be.
      Of course it isn't. But like robjames says, it shouldn't be losing almost half its audience in the space of 2 years. That's unacceptable for any TV show, whether it's a massive show like EastEnders or a smaller show like Hollyoaks.
    • Options
      SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
      Forum Member
      ✭✭✭✭
      The Viewing figures ( I refuse to call them ratings) clearly indicate that the 7.30pm slot is king.
    • Options
      Forum Member
      ✭✭✭
      Deleted
    • Options
      [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,980
      Forum Member
      Just seen an advert for Jack Duckworth's final episodes and it's so pleasing to see ITV advertising the episodes-they look amazing aswell if the advert is anything to go by. I hope the final episodes on the Monday will push 10m. They should do. IIRC Vera's farewell episodes were the most watched in 2008, even though it was in January.
    • Options
      SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
      Forum Member
      ✭✭✭✭
      Just seen an advert for Jack Duckworth's final episodes and it's so pleasing to see ITV advertising the episodes-they look amazing aswell if the advert is anything to go by. I hope the final episodes on the Monday will push 10m. They should do. IIRC Vera's farewell episodes were the most watched in 2008, even though it was in January.

The cold winter months attract more viewers:)
    • Options
      boogie woogieboogie woogie Posts: 16,442
      Forum Member
      ✭✭

Fingers crossed for 10m+, they deserve it, Jack's story as a terminally ill man bravely staring death in the face and carrying out kind deeds for those around him has been great viewing. I have high hopes for this one doing well in the ratings given that Monday's figures are always Corrie's best plus the clocks will be going back meaning longer evenings and more people watching TV:)
    • Options
      Forum Member
      ✭✭✭
      Friday 29th October Overnights
      17:30- Neighbours 1.2m (8.0%)
      18:00- Home and Away 0.9m (5.3%)
      19:00- Emmerdale - 7.03m (34.0%)
      19:30- Coronation Street - 8.42m (38.6%)
      20:00- EastEnders - 8.11m (34.7%)
      20:30- Coronation Street - 7.94m (32.8%)
      Corrie #1 on a Friday night for the 3rd week in a row. EastEnders share was a little low compared to normal, I'm not sure why that was.
    • Options
      charliestubbscharliestubbs Posts: 3,448
      Forum Member
      ✭✭✭
      Good for Coronation Street again, although second episode quite low.

Hoping for 10 million+ for Jacks final episode.
    • Options
      gavin shipmangavin shipman Posts: 9,720
      Forum Member
      EastEnders and Emmerdale doing very well. Corrie´s 2nd episode being under 8 million is not good.
    • Options
      D.M.N.D.M.N. Posts: 34,172
      Forum Member
      ✭✭✭
      Been doing some stuff with the soaps averages for each year this afternoon, putting them into a graph. Below are the averages for each of the big 3 soaps from 2002 onwards:

Coronation Street 2010 average includes HD
      2002 - 11.96m
      2003 - 13.32m (up 12.0% on previous year)
      2004 - 12.10m (down 10.1%)
      2005 - 11.11m (down 8.9%)
      2006 - 10.19m (down 9.0%)
      2007 - 10.12m (down 0.7%)
      2008 - 9.51m (down 6.4%)
      2009 - 9.23m (down 3.0%)
      2010 - 9.39m (up 1.7%; drop of 27.4% compared with 2002)

EastEnders
      2002 - 11.95m
      2003 - 12.57m (up 5.1%)
      2004 - 11.32m (down 11.0%)
      2005 - 10.20m (down 11.0%)
      2006 - 9.16m (down 11.4%)
      2007 - 8.88m (down 3.2%)
      2008 - 8.42m (down 5.5%)
      2009 - 8.43m (up 0.1%)
      2010 - 9.25m (up 9.7%; drop of 29.2% compared with 2002)

Emmerdale 2010 average excludes HD
      2002 - 9.21m
      2003 - 9.26m (up 0.5%)
      2004 - 9.00m (down 2.9%)
      2005 - 8.63m (down 4.3%)
      2006 - 7.63m (down 13.1%)
      2007 - 7.46m (down 2.3%)
      2008 - 6.93m (down 7.6%)
      2009 - 6.73m (down 3.0%)
      2010 - 7.22m (up 7.3%; drop of 27.6% compared with 2002)

With thanks to rzt for all the averages, apart from the Emmerdale (2002 to 2004) averages.
      ----
      Information above as a graph: http://img80.imageshack.us/img80/9672/soaps.png

The 2010 averages will almost certainly go up for the 3 soaps, so I'd expect Coronation Street and EastEnders nearer to 10m with Emmerdale hopefully nearer to 8m. For all 3 soaps, as you can see, it will end up their best year for several years.

I think its also worth noting that even without the supposed '3% increase' for the ratings, Emmerdale and EastEnders would both still be up on last year. Coronation Street will probably end up more than 3.0% up on last year providing their 50th anniversary brings in good figures.

If we're to look at the biggest drops though for each of the three soaps:

- Coronation Street: 2004. I think this is more down to a superb 2003 more than anything else, in particular drawing 19m for one or two episodes in that year with the Richard Hillman storyline meant that 2004 was going to be down.
      - EastEnders: 2006. One of the worst years the soap has seen, with one or two record low ratings to throw into the mix. It's most expensive stunt if I recall brought it the lowest ever rating. Of course it also clashed with Emmerdale, which didn't help.
      - Emmerdale: 2006. More to do with the World Cup than anything else when ITV chose to throw it on at 10pm, sending it to record low ratings of 3m and 4m.

Pretty sure you can also attribute the above average drops for Emmerdale and Coronation Street in 2008 to a change in producer.

Hope you guys like the above anyway. :)
    • Options
      JC_GTA2010JC_GTA2010 Posts: 2,226
      Forum Member
      ✭✭✭
      Corrie #1 on a Friday night for the 3rd week in a row. EastEnders share was a little low compared to normal, I'm not sure why that was.

What figures did HO get for later and normal ep?
    • Options
      Forum Member
      ✭✭✭
      JC_GTA2010 wrote: »
      What figures did HO get for later and normal ep?
      Dunno. Hollyoaks' ratings havent been released yet.
    • Options
      JC_GTA2010JC_GTA2010 Posts: 2,226
      Forum Member
      ✭✭✭
      Dunno. Hollyoaks' ratings havent been released yet.

ok ty :) ....
    • Options
      luckylilaluckylila Posts: 3,685
      Forum Member
      ✭✭✭
      D.M.N. wrote: »
      Been doing some stuff with the soaps averages for each year this afternoon, putting them into a graph. ...
      ..snipped to save space...

I really do like, so thanks very much.

I've only recently become interested in soap viewing figures, and this gives me a lot of information in one hit. I didn't look at the graph yet (will do in a mo) but the text is a really efficient delivery of info. Nice one.
    • Options
      Face Of JackFace Of Jack Posts: 7,181
      Forum Member
      Very well done DMN. Looked at the graph too. It's nice to see that Corrie and EE are more or less head to head - in other words doing as well as each other. Emmerdale is doing well too, and rising. Let's face it, poor Emmerdale (my Fav.) will never get much higher than the top two - unless it was on at 8pm every night!
      All three soaps are on top form at the moment IMO. Long may it continue....
    • Options
      sheepiefarmsheepiefarm Posts: 27,589
      Forum Member
      ✭✭✭
      Thanks DMN - very interesting to read :cool:
    • Options
      Roscoe BarnesRoscoe Barnes Posts: 6,360
      Forum Member

Yeah that's correct ZoeM they were the most watched episodes of 2008. The episodes were broadcast on Friday 18th January and averaged 12.4m and 11.6m respectively. Officially 13.02m and 12.65m. :)

Emmerdale rounds of an excellent week of ratings with every episode clearing 7m. Hopefully it can continue. The second Corrie and EE have very low shares. Quite odd. :confused:
      D.M.N. wrote: »
      Been doing some stuff with the soaps averages for each year this afternoon, putting them into a graph. Below are the averages for each of the big 3 soaps from 2002 onwards:

Thanks D.M.N. Made an interesting read. :)
    • Options
      Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
      Forum Member
      ✭✭✭
      Home and Away seems to be floundering. I looked at BARB and it barely makes the Channel 5 Top 30 now, although in its home country, unlike Neighbours, ratings are acceptable. Maybe the teens and students that it was aimed at now prefer The Simpsons on Channel 4.
    • Options
      SandsssSandsss Posts: 3,124
      Forum Member
      ✭✭✭
      Monday 1st November

Coronation St - 7.30 - 10.0m
      EastEnders - 9.6m
      Coronation St - 8.30 - 9.2m
      Emmerdale - 8.0m
      Hollyoaks - 1.6m

Good for all soaps last night.
    • Options
      [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,685
      Forum Member
      Sandsss wrote: »
      Monday 1st November

Coronation St - 7.30 - 10.0m
      EastEnders - 9.6m
      Coronation St - 8.30 - 9.2m
      Emmerdale - 8.0m
      Hollyoaks - 1.6m

Good for all soaps last night.

8m Emmerdale!! Nice! They haven't gotten 8m on a reguler episode in a while.
    This discussion has been closed.