Remove the word strictly

pabirdpabird Posts: 871
Forum Member
✭✭
As ex-competitive dancers we are disgusted at the dumbing down in dance terms of the SCD shows and the beeb efforts series by series to have an obvious non dancer who is encouraged to become the figure of fun and allow the traditional British “we will vote for who WE choose” and to hell with the so called experts and in so doing remove any sensible voting pattern in dance performance or improvement week on week
So determined are the beeb that we have the only professional (strictly) ballroom judge selling his dance ethics to what he considers are the populists votes, the only judge who voices an ethical professional assessment of the fun figure is castigated by one and all
Should dance people ignore the obvious beeb planning to boost show publicity and consequential watching figures boost?
For us the time is right after tonight’s (dance) silly results determine we are no longer committed to the dance aspect of the show but the beeb must appease the dance fraternity and remove the word “STRICTLY” from the show title
Maybe “Comedic and Entertaining” dance would be an improved title
Suggestions?

Comments

• -Sid--Sid- Posts: 29,365
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is it really any different to previous years where the not so good couple (who are considered entertaining) advance week after week?

I'm not really understanding the bewilderment and outrage. It's nothing new. Everyone knows what they are signing up for when they take part or watch.
  • kayceekaycee Posts: 12,046
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Could be Strictly Come Comedy Dancing; or strictly comes entertaining.....

Know what you mean though; by no means is it "strictly" in the true sense of the word, but for me before they start on the dancers, I wish they'd do something about the music. How can they dance "strictly" to a load of music that is nothing whatsoever to do with the dance? They either need to bring in a Strict Tempo band which understands dance music, or use cds.

I've no problem with them using up to date, pop music or whatever they like, because all such music CAN be adapted and played to the correct tempo, but unfortunately the beeb's band just doesn't have that ability.
  • pabirdpabird Posts: 871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    -Sid- wrote: »
    Is it really any different to previous years where the not so good couple (who are considered entertaining) advance week after week?

I'm not really understanding the bewilderment and outrage. It's nothing new. Everyone knows what they are signing up for when they take part or watch.

Then we should not have the show title based around strictly come dancing
    For the dance fraternity strict tempo and technique have real meaning in performance not to be basterdised and increasingly dumbed down to suit the great British (non-dance) public
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 196
    Forum Member
    Erm, I've always viewed the use of the word 'Strictly' in the title as a humorous twist on the original show - ie Strictly Ballroom/Come Dancing, celebs having a go at dancing for (at the time) charity. It was never intended to convey strict in the sense of a strict dancing competition, lighten up a little, makes life more fun :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ps mabird insists that we comment on the absence of technical critic by 3 of the 4 judges on Anne whilst the reverse is not true when substantially better dancers are criticised for posture, footwork, top half presentation etc but Anne receives non in critical comment5 from but one of the judges
  • kayceekaycee Posts: 12,046
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Buggles1 wrote: »
    Erm, I've always viewed the use of the word 'Strictly' in the title as a humorous twist on the original show - ie Strictly Ballroom/Come Dancing, celebs having a go at dancing for (at the time) charity. It was never intended to convey strict in the sense of a strict dancing competition, lighten up a little, makes life more fun :D

Strictly Ballroom - the film - had nothing to do with Come Dancing, which had nothing to do with charity! I understand the name for scd initially was going to be something like Pro-Celeb Come Dancing - which, let's be honest,doesn't exactly flow, does it?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Then have your fun, If you consider there is a lack of entertainment in dance brilliance and the improvement week on week of genuine dance talent it would explain why you fail to understand why people with any sense of musical interpretation via dance hate the dumbing down of this (dance) show
    The word "strictly" is short for strict tempo and why would you object to a change of show title to maybe "comedy dance hour" ? and then we could all share the joke
    Forum Member
    pabird wrote: »
    Then have your fun, If you consider there is a lack of entertainment in dance brilliance and the improvement week on week of genuine dance talent it would explain why you fail to understand why people with any sense of musical interpretation via dance hate the dumbing down of this (dance) show
    The word "strictly" is short for strict tempo and why would you object to a change of show title to maybe "comedy dance hour" ? and then we could all share the joke

Don't presume to know what I like - I loved the show as was & think some amazing & entertaining dances have been produced. But having said that last year was pretty dire. I was more referring to your sense of outrage - Its a television programme not life or death, and I was just pointing out that it was never envisaged as a serious dance competition but Saturday night light entertainment!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 233
    Forum Member

I presume this is a bit of trolling but anyway...

I'm no dance expert but two questions:

Before strictly come dancing came onto the screens how long had it been since a strict dance competition was on screen? If you don't like it don't watch.

Who came second in the first ever Strictly? How good a dancer was he? What has changed?
    Forum Member
    henman wrote: »
    I presume this is a bit of trolling but anyway...

I'm no dance expert but two questions:

Before strictly come dancing came onto the screens how long had it been since a strict dance competition was on screen? If you don't like it don't watch.

Who came second in the first ever Strictly? How good a dancer was he? What has changed?

Exactly - and plenty of people went to see him on the tour. Same with Julian Clary Series 2 - in that sense not much has changed. :D
  • loracanloracan Posts: 914
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's a saturday night entertainment show that happens to revolve around a bit of dancing.
  • isis333isis333 Posts: 2,294
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I'm sure that's how the name was created....the "Strictly" in the title has nothing to do with being "Strict"
    Strictly Come Dancing (Sometimes shortened to Strictly or SCD) is a British television show, featuring celebrities with professional dance partners competing in Ballroom and Latin dances. The title of the show suggests a continuation of the long-running series Come Dancing, with an allusion to the film Strictly Ballroom. The format has been exported to 30 other countries (see Dancing with the Stars), and has also inspired a modern-dance themed spin-off Strictly Dance Fever.
  • marietsmariets Posts: 1,262
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The original Come Dancing was owned by Eric Morley, and even today the title is only allowed to be used with the permission of his widow Julia, which is why the format has been sold with different names.
  • rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think that there is a real sense that the program will be axed in the not to distant future. The fact that they keep tampering with the format is not a good sign. They keep swapping and axing the professionals. They also do not have the pull of celebrities they once did.
  • peevepeeve Posts: 3,793
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rfonzo wrote: »
    I think that there is a real sense that the program will be axed in the not to distant future. The fact that they keep tampering with the format is not a good sign. They keep swapping and axing the professionals. They also do not have the pull of celebrities they once did.

Blimey! My understanding is that they have record viewers for this series; they have always tampered with the format (although I concede that this series has redefined the word 'tampered'); and they have always swapped and axed professionals. Finally, although the term 'celebrity' may be a subjective one, I recognise most of the names this year, which is more than I can say for previous series.

Strictly-bashing is a time-honoured tradition on this forum :rolleyes: but we keeeeep watching!
  • SCD-ObserverSCD-Observer Posts: 18,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    peeve wrote: »
    Blimey! My understanding is that they have record viewers for this series; they have always tampered with the format (although I concede that this series has redefined the word 'tampered'); and they have always swapped and axed professionals. Finally, although the term 'celebrity' may be a subjective one, I recognise most of the names this year, which is more than I can say for previous series.

Strictly-bashing is a time-honoured tradition on this forum :rolleyes: but we keeeeep watching!

So agree with your last statement. :D
  • Tiger RoseTiger Rose Posts: 11,793
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rfonzo wrote: »

Given the ratings for this series that certainly isn't going to happen. I think the mix of celebrities has been very good this year. I do wish they hadn't sidelined the likes of Ian & Matt though.
  • norbitonitenorbitonite Posts: 8,672
    Forum Member
    kaycee wrote: »
    Strictly Ballroom - the film - had nothing to do with Come Dancing, which had nothing to do with charity! I understand the name for scd initially was going to be something like Pro-Celeb Come Dancing - which, let's be honest,doesn't exactly flow, does it?

I think you've misunderstood the post to which you are replying, kaycee. The name of the programme is a marriage between 'Strictly Ballroom' and 'Come Dancing', so a highly entertaining, comedy drama about the goings on in the world of amateur ballroom and a discontinued TV programme showcasing amateur ballroom dancing. It has nothing to do with strict tempo, or strict observance of the rules of ballroom, and if you're watching for that, then you're doomed to disappointment I'm afraid.

At the outset, a proportion of the call cost for voting on SCD went to charity - Children in Need, I think - but this had to change due to some legality. Nobody was suggesting that Come Dancing had a charity connection.
  • domedome Posts: 55,878
    Forum Member
    I beginning to think some of the 'purists' haven't actually watched the show before, or have short term memory. It has never been a pure dance show, if it had been it would have been cancelled after the first series.
  • Smokeychan1Smokeychan1 Posts: 12,137
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As ex-competitive dancers we are disgusted at the dumbing down in dance terms of the SCD shows....

Suggestions?

May I suggest you realise the show is not aimed at a specific audience (i.e. competitive dancers, ex or otherwise) and if it were it would become a small budget production shown in the early hours of a tuesday morning.

The fact is, even the best celebs couldnt perform technically to the standard acquired through a lifetime of dancing so if the show was limited to technique only it would become boring very quickly. "Illegal" lifts, props and high-wires may be dumbing down in your opinion, but they have proven sufficient to lift a routine from boring to enjoyable and sometimes even outstanding.

In short, you and your dancing friends are not the audience this show is aimed at.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    May I suggest you realise the show is not aimed at a specific audience (i.e. competitive dancers, ex or otherwise) and if it were it would become a small budget production shown in the early hours of a tuesday morning.

The fact is, even the best celebs couldnt perform technically to the standard acquired through a lifetime of dancing so if the show was limited to technique only it would become boring very quickly. "Illegal" lifts, props and high-wires may be dumbing down in your opinion, but they have proven sufficient to lift a routine from boring to enjoyable and sometimes even outstanding.

In short, you and your dancing friends are not the audience this show is aimed at.

Yup, and if ex-dancers or competitors gets bored with SCD, they can always turn to So You Think You Can Dance.:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,928
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    *FILM SPOILERS WITHIN - BEWARE*

The film Strictly Ballroom is all about a lad who (despite being an excellent dancer) rebels against the snotty dance purists and develops his own style in the ballroom - one that the purists revile as 'flashy', 'crowd-pleasing' and 'silly'.

Central to the plot is his taking of a tragically mediocre amateur dancer as his partner, and turning her into a spectacular showpiece performer. You never find out whether they win anything or not, but their dancing brings everybody together to have a good time.

Personally, I'd have thought that both of the above elements were excellent reasons to refer to the current show by its current title.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh the drama! :rolleyes: OP, the name as I (and others) understand it is to reflect a cross between Come Dancing and the film Strictly Ballroom (which was very entertaining and a bit tongue in cheek). If it raises your blood pressure so much, here's an idea. Switch over!
  • Jan2555*GG*Jan2555*GG* Posts: 11,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Despite what dance purists might think (wishfully) Strictly is a Saturday night entertainment show based around dancing, it always has been and is no different now. In every single series there have been celebs who have either intentionally or not become the 'comedy' element and in earlier series (when the purist say Strictly was 'as it should be') these comedy dancers have reached the very end of the competition.

Strictly is meant to appeal to ALL its audience not just a minority audience of dancing 'experts'.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    *FILM SPOILERS WITHIN - BEWARE*

The film Strictly Ballroom is all about a lad who (despite being an excellent dancer) rebels against the snotty dance purists and develops his own style in the ballroom - one that the purists revile as 'flashy', 'crowd-pleasing' and 'silly'.

Central to the plot is his taking of a tragically mediocre amateur dancer as his partner, and turning her into a spectacular showpiece performer. You never find out whether they win anything or not, but their dancing brings everybody together to have a good time.

Personally, I'd have thought that both of the above elements were excellent reasons to refer to the current show by its current title.

*standing ovation*:D:D:D