Options

Olly's album over 200k?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,172
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Amidst this talk of finals and voting percentages.
Commenting on this week's second and third-placed finishers, Martin Talbot of the Official Charts Company said: "Take That have really made the Christmas albums market their own this year and it’s all the more impressive given the competition from Michael Bublé’s Crazy Love and Olly Murs's self-titled [album] each selling over 100,000 copies this week alone."

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/music/news/a292821/take-that-retain-album-no-1-after-1m-sales.html

I guess it's just more proof that the TV show side of the XFactor and the finding a popstar side don't always mesh.

Comments

• Options
    MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    All I can say is - some people have no taste!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,822
    Forum Member
    Wtf.. so he's sold another 100k.

I'm gobsmacked at his success.. where has his popularity come from? this is suprising. I didn't think he had a dedicated fanbase.
  • Options
    *Liya**Liya* Posts: 5,978
    Forum Member
    Yep, well over 200K

Well done Olly :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 40,102
    Forum Member
    Yup, in the past week, up until 12/12/10 be has sold a further 100,000+

Added that to the 108,000 from the opening week that's over 208,000 in just 2 weeks.

He's sold more than Joe in 1 week than Joe has in 7 weeks! I guess Olly is the real winner from last year's show (although I think he's shit :p)
  • Options
    *Liya**Liya* Posts: 5,978
    Forum Member
    LoveBug. wrote: »

I'm gobsmacked at his success.. where has his popularity come from? this is suprising. I didn't think he had a dedicated fanbase.

He just had a cracking first single. It's still being spun to death on Radio.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 246
    Forum Member

I like him, he has style class and his songs are so catchy.

I'm a guy though so maybe i shouldn't like him...:D
  • Options
    Matt7Matt7 Posts: 2,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Some retailers have been selling it at £6.99 since day of release that helps a lot.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't get me wrong I've heard about a combined 43 seconds of Olly's post-XFactor career and that's more than I ever want to hear again. Just thought it was interesting from a casual observation PoV that once again, the correlation between voting and actual success can be quite marked.

Olly was bottom of the vote at one stage quite close to the final and was only saved by the judges.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So far all the acts I've loved (Diana, JLS, Olly, Stacey) have done well. It seems I have great instict so I'm hoping Rebecca and Paije join them :o
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 246
    Forum Member
    Matt7 wrote: »
    Some retailers have been selling it at £6.99 since day of release that helps a lot.

Did they sell the singles cheap as well ? :rolleyes:

Maybe they should sell Joe's cheap though, he was 60th today I believe ?
  • Options
    Born FreeBorn Free Posts: 610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't know anyone who likes him or are a fan of his! :confused:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,754
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm happy for him! Should be going platinum in a couple of weeks then :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 40,102
    Forum Member
    Don't get me wrong I've heard about a combined 43 seconds of Olly's post-XFactor career and that's more than I ever want to hear again. Just thought it was interesting from a casual observation PoV that once again, the correlation between voting and actual success can be quite marked.

Olly was bottom of the vote at one stage quite close to the final and was only saved by the judges.

Indeed! The success of the acts on the show seemingly bares no relation to their success in actual music.

Olly was all over the place... 7th in week 1, 5th in week 2, 7th in week 3, 2nd in week 4, 3rd in week 5, 5th in week 6, 6th (bottom 2) in week 7, 3rd in week 8...

It wasn't until week 9 and 10 he got himself back up to second place.
  • Options
    Dave HawkDave Hawk Posts: 6,654
    Forum Member
    Lewisj24 wrote: »
    I like him, he has style class and his songs are so catchy.

I'm a guy though so maybe i shouldn't like him...:D

I'm a fortysomething guy and many I dare say do find his music "catchy", indeed, it fits him like a glove, I just don't like him. Not the kind of guy I'd want any sister or daughter of mine to bring home
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 676
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Olly is a good performer. Joe had a very good voice but was dull. People can't understand that to make it in the music business you need more than a good voice and cute face. Matt will follow Joe's steps and I'm thinking Rebecca will too now.

1D, Cher and Mary going to be the real winners at the end.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Olly is a good performer. Joe had a very good voice but was dull. People can't understand that to make it in the music business you need more than a good voice and cute face. Matt will follow Joe's steps and I'm thinking Rebecca will too now.

1D, Cher and Mary going to be the real winners at the end.

Joe won The X Factor on SUBSTANCE (we are reminded time and time again that it is a "singing competition" and more often than not the most talented vocalist of their series has won); however, his music since is just not connecting

Talent :) matters to me, first and foremost. Joe did not appeal to those tuning in for "entertainment", IMO, which was more Olly's niche
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,780
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lewisj24 wrote: »
    Did they sell the singles cheap as well ? :rolleyes:

Maybe they should sell Joe's cheap though, he was 60th today I believe ?
    The album was number 83 today - OUCH! His 2nd single, released officially this week, was number 68 - even more OUCH!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 110
    Forum Member

Based on the voting % for his series i doubt he had a fanbase bigger than Staceys maybe a bit bigger than hers. What happened with Olly is that he has gained fans since the show due to the X Factor tour and his album and music style being a breathe of fresh air amongst all the electro/RnB Pop/autotune filling the charts. I hope he can maintain this success for his next album.
  • Options
    ribtickleribtickle Posts: 6,361
    Forum Member
    Doesn't surprise me in the slightest, I predicted last year that he would outsell Joe, and do so on boy-next-door sex appeal and gift-of-the-gab Essex boy charm. The music is only a part of it, the essential thing is he has a winning personality, and can use it to promote himself well.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Haider wrote: »
    Based on the voting % for his series i doubt he had a fanbase bigger than Staceys maybe a bit bigger than hers. What happened with Olly is that he has gained fans since the show due to the X Factor tour and his album and music style being a breathe of fresh air amongst all the electro/RnB Pop/autotune filling the charts. I hope he can maintain this success for his next album.

Until Olly performed on The X Factor with 'Thinking of Me' and Stacey, on I'm a Celeb, in terms of fresh YouTube hits for their live show X Factor performances, Joe's had, consistently, more than either combined. I took that as a sign of interest in Joe but what he has done since just has not connected

I think whatever happens moving forward for Joe providing he can make a living out of doing what he loves most in some capacity, he will be well on the road to self-actualisation. I don't think, personally, he's comfortable with the media or the "celebrity", side of it but then neither is Will Young
  • Options
    E05297535E05297535 Posts: 5,602
    Forum Member
    YOU GO OLLY MURS...the true winner from last year

Like Matt/Mary is THIS YEAR!!:D;):D
  • Options
    BROXI BEARBROXI BEAR Posts: 9,279
    Forum Member
    This just proves that the majority of voters on the X Factor are of an older demographic, who won't generally buy/download music. This older demographic then voted for Joe. The younger teens voted for Olly and they buy/download music.

This is why I think Matt won't do so well, most of his votes will be from people who don't buy music. I hope I'm wrong.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    E05297535 wrote: »
    YOU GO OLLY MURS...the true winner from last year

Like Matt/Mary is THIS YEAR!!:D;):D

'X Factor 2009' ended on 13 Dec 2009 and Joe won it. And that's a fact nobody can deny the lad
  • Options
    Forum Member
    BROXI BEAR wrote: »
    This just proves that the majority of voters on the X Factor are of an older demographic, who won't generally buy/download music. This older demographic then voted for Joe. The younger teens voted for Olly and they buy/download music.

This is why I think Matt won't do so well, most of his votes will be from people who don't buy music. I hope I'm wrong.

And that's Joe's problem. I don't think what he has released, musically, since winning, particularly, appeals to the older demographic, who may have appreciated powerful original songs, with complex vocal harmonies, where Joe's vocal is not "lost" in a slurry of 'overproduction'. Anyway, the whole RATM Campaign and its success, may have done more harm to Joe than those around him may have realised. So Olly fans be thankful it was a fate that didn't befall him

Pointless campaign anyway if the mission was to hurt Simon Cowell and his X Factor. It failed. The X Factor is still with us
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's the album everyone will get for Xmas!

Only to be put straight on eBay