Mels - Really annoying

M@nterikM@nterik Posts: 6,982
Forum Member
Oh great, another character from the cliche machine.

Comments

• Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    and the prize for the most premature thread goes too................;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well that was not what I was expecting even though the name should've gave it away. :D
  • KarisKaris Posts: 6,380
    Forum Member
    Yep. It was obvious from the beginning

But did love all the regeneration!!!
  • DiscoPDiscoP Posts: 5,931
    Forum Member
    I must be a bit slow because I didn't see it coming at all, despite the obvious clues! Although I was preoccupied, trying to remember where I'd seen the actress before, then I remembered that she was Bradleys annoying girlfriend in EastEnders.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,114
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DiscoP wrote: »
    I must be a bit slow because I didn't see it coming at all, despite the obvious clues! Although I was preoccupied, trying to remember where I'd seen the actress before, then I remembered that she was Bradleys annoying girlfriend in EastEnders.

Yep, didn't see it coming but I think there's two reasons I missed it:

1) The story was moving so quickly there was no time to stop and think about it. We had that lovely flashback (which, seriously, awwwwwwwwwww), a brief scene inside the TARDIS, the stuff with Hitler then, boom (or possibly bang), regeneration.

2) There were a couple of things in this episode I was spoiled for thanks to annoying people putting said spoilers in thread titles (both here and elsewhere). That Mel was coming along for the ride I knew in advance so I just wasn't thinking about her being this sort of double bluff.

One thing about the OP's cliche machine whine - I love when Moffat does this. He creates a character, makes us think she's going to be a companion (even if only for one episode), even gives us a backstory so we know who she is (troubled child, fixated on the Doctor, almost in some ways a different take on Amy)... then yanks the rug out from under the viewer. The fact someone felt strongly enough to start a somewhat premature thread on it pretty much shows it was executed damn near perfectly. Plus there's the added bonus that once you know the truth all that backstory isn't just thrown away as a bluff, it changes to take on a different meaning. Bravo Mr Moffat, Bravo.
  • Nick_DKNick_DK Posts: 1,590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wow 16mins into an ep don't give characters much time do you.
  • Residents FanResidents Fan Posts: 9,204
    Forum Member
    I thought the actress playing Mels was HAWT. :D
  • alphonsusalphonsus Posts: 773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yep, didn't see it coming but I think there's two reasons I missed it:

<SNIP>

One thing about the OP's cliche machine whine - I love when Moffat does this. He creates a character, makes us think she's going to be a companion (even if only for one episode), even gives us a backstory so we know who she is (troubled child, fixated on the Doctor, almost in some ways a different take on Amy)... then yanks the rug out from under the viewer. The fact someone felt strongly enough to start a somewhat premature thread on it pretty much shows it was executed damn near perfectly. Plus there's the added bonus that once you know the truth all that backstory isn't just thrown away as a bluff, it changes to take on a different meaning. Bravo Mr Moffat, Bravo.
    A fantastic (semi) red herring. Moffatt does rug-pulling extremely well. I must admit, I was preparing to be annoyed by Mels' intrusion into the Tardis as a temporary (or more permanent) companion, but this was a much better plot. Loving the way the three of them grew up together - with Amy clearly being the one trying to get/keep Mels out of trouble.
    It also answers the question about cross-race (though not cross-gender) regenerations. And the way River's number of regenerations was dealt with was rather good as well.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,114
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alphonsus wrote: »
    A fantastic (semi) red herring. Moffatt does rug-pulling extremely well. I must admit, I was preparing to be annoyed by Mels' intrusion into the Tardis as a temporary (or more permanent) companion, but this was a much better plot. Loving the way the three of them grew up together - with Amy clearly being the one trying to get/keep Mels out of trouble.
    It also answers the question about cross-race (though not cross-gender) regenerations. And the way River's number of regenerations was dealt with was rather good as well.

Heh, okay confession time. When the car's racing towards them at the beginning I immediately thought "Ah, here comes River" as I knew she was in this episode. Door opens and out gets Mel. Ah, thinks I, teaches me to start guessing about the plot. 15 minutes later.... :D
  • Flamethrower100Flamethrower100 Posts: 14,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Op is annoying. She was in it for less than ten minutes.
  • DiscoPDiscoP Posts: 5,931
    Forum Member
    The sixth and seventh doctor's companion, Mel, on the overhand, WAS really annoying and unfortunately she was in Doctor Who for a lot longer than 10 minutes.

Perhaps she can be retconned in being one of River's regenerations? Perhaps she was trying to poison the Doctor with all that carrot juice she kept making him drink, she certainly had the hair to fit the part.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 156
    Forum Member
    I thought it was terrible how under-developed she was. They just threw her in at random, not mentioned at all in the past. Rubbish. And annoying!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I loved how loads of questions were just answered in less than 15mins!

Also i think we will be seeing Mels again (in flashback) for the finale definitely :) It explained a lot too! Definitely wished she was in it for more than her duration BUT i love that i am wishing for that!
  • TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If Mels, a childhood friend, was River then who is Jeff? :confused::D:D
  • Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It is possible to have more than one childhood friend...;)
  • tysonstormtysonstorm Posts: 24,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought it was terrible how under-developed she was. They just threw her in at random, not mentioned at all in the past. Rubbish. And annoying!

I agree. You'd have thought that given they have been close to "Mels" for such a long time that never once in S5 did they mention her or refer to her then in one ep in S6 "Oh her, our bessie mate who we grew up with and were so close too that for some unknown reason never mentioned her or referenced her at all ever when knowing the Doctor" was just randomly thrown in. Pretty cack writing that Moff, pretty cack. As a Moffat fan I expected better. :(
  • Benjamin SiskoBenjamin Sisko Posts: 1,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The Rani. :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Rani. :D

Thats it. Off to deep space nine for you!:);)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I liked her. Much less annoying than River.
  • ea91ea91 Posts: 2,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I loved it, completely unexpected. Otherwise, we'd have figured out who she was by now and that River could regenerate. Plus, it helped us understand early River and her motives better. And ultimately it's quite believable, as those cracks in Amy's wall seemed to be able to erase people from her memory anyway.
  • nattoyakinattoyaki Posts: 7,080
    Forum Member
    David0056 wrote: »
    I liked her. Much less annoying than River.

I agree completely. I really wished she'd been a new companion.

River's been poor at times so far in her appearances (at others utterly brilliant) imho, but this episode finally killed her for me. Awful, awful, awful.

That stuff about her deliberately choosing to look younger in the future? Cringeworthy.
  • Residents FanResidents Fan Posts: 9,204
    Forum Member

The love-child of Harry Sullivan and Tegan Jovanka. :D
  • rioniarionia Posts: 1,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm still waiting for the OP to return with more words of wisdom....
  • StansfieldStansfield Posts: 6,097
    Forum Member
    I thought the actress playing Mels was HAWT. :D
    Maybe because she knew she wasn't going to be in it long.;)

I thought she was the best thing about this episode....oh yes, and the Sonic Cane.:cool:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 336
    Forum Member
    Muttley76 wrote: »
    It is possible to have more than one childhood friend...;)

It is? Bugger, if only someone had told me. I went through my entire childhood with only one friend :D