Options

Three women, missing for a decade, escape from kidnapper

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,363
    Forum Member
    It amazes me to hear reports that Amanda, Gina and Jocelyn are in remarkably good health. How can they be?
    They were very thin which meant they were not fed well and I wonder how they got all their vitamins especially D? They hadn't seen any sunlight.
    I was wondering about the three women's personal needs. That monster would have had to buy certain items for the girls so weren't the store keepers suspicious of him?
    So many questions. It doesn't surprise me in the least that poor MIchelle has been permanently injured. I really hope she gets well enough to leave the hospital soon.
  • Options
    finkfink Posts: 2,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Piers Morgan has interview with Ariel Castro's daughter and mother.

Haven't they suffered enough?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,363
    Forum Member
    Takae wrote: »
    I Know My Name is Steven (Steven Stayner - 1980s)
    The Girl in a Box (Colleen Stan - 1970s)
    Tabloid (Kirk Anderson, kidnapped and imprisoned by a woman in England - 1970s)
    The Blue Tattoo (Olive Oatman - 1850s)
    Natascha Kampusch (1990s)
    I Choose to Live - Sabine Dardenne (kidnapped and imprisoned by a serial killer, 1990s)
    Memoirs of a Milk Carton Kid (Tanya Nicole Kach - 1990s)
    A Stolen Life (Jaycee Lee Dugard - 1990s)
    Confined (Fusako Sano - kidnapped and imprisoned at nine and found at 19)
    Buried Memories (Katie Beers, 1990s)
    The Silence of Others (Lydia Gouardo, imprisoned for 28 years whilst giving birth to six children - 1970s-1990s, I could only find this article in English.)

Those are the best known.
    I was so sad about the Stephen Stayner story. He had been told by his abducter that his parents had abandoned him. After all his turbulent adjusting period it was sad that his life was cut short anyway when he died aged 24 in a road accident.
    Another film about kidnapping is "Deep End Of The Ocean." A mother of three woman goes to the hotel where her high school reunion is taking place. In the hotel foyer the preschool middle child wanders off and is lost.
    Years later, when that boy is about eleven years old, he by chance knocks on the door of his real family to offer to mow their lawn.
    The real mother recognises him. Turns out he was stolen by a woman at the reunion. She had loved him, remarried and brought him up but had eventually committed suicide.
    The boy had remained living with her husband, his "dad." He had forgotten about his early childhood.
    Once returned to his real family there were terrible settling in problems. He ended up going back to his "dad's" house but later returned to try living with his real family again.
    The elder brother had been deeply affected by guilt seeing as he had been asked to watch his little brother as his mother did the checking in all those years ago.
  • Options
    franciefrancie Posts: 31,089
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ohio prosecutors may seek execution for Ariel Castro...http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-22475771

"I fully intend to seek charges for each and every act of sexual violence, rape, each day of kidnapping, every felonious assault, all his attempted murders, and each act of aggravated murder he committed by terminating pregnancies that the offender perpetuated against the hostages during this decade-long ordeal," Mr McGinty told a news conference. Tim McGinty, prosecutor: "These women desperately need a chance to heal before we seek further evidence""My office will also engage in a formal process in which we evaluate to seek charges eligible for the death penalty."
  • Options
    dellydelly Posts: 10,189
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mandark wrote: »
    Terrible, terrible ordeal. I'm guessing the women will in time sign book and may be even film deals. The books will be best sellers and earn them enough money to live comfortably for the rest of their lives.
    delly wrote: »
    Really? Have any of the other girls/women who were imprisoned like this done that? Or, the famous cases of boys being abducted and kept? I honestly havent heard of any.
    I Know My Name is Steven (Steven Stayner - 1980s)
    The Girl in a Box (Colleen Stan - 1970s)
    Tabloid (Kirk Anderson, kidnapped and imprisoned by a woman in England - 1970s)
    The Blue Tattoo (Olive Oatman - 1850s)
    Natascha Kampusch (1990s)
    I Choose to Live - Sabine Dardenne (kidnapped and imprisoned by a serial killer, 1990s)
    Memoirs of a Milk Carton Kid (Tanya Nicole Kach - 1990s)
    A Stolen Life (Jaycee Lee Dugard - 1990s)
    Confined (Fusako Sano - kidnapped and imprisoned at nine and found at 19)
    Buried Memories (Katie Beers, 1990s)
    The Silence of Others (Lydia Gouardo, imprisoned for 28 years whilst giving birth to six children - 1970s-1990s, I could only find this article in English.)

Those are the best known.

I think you missed the note of sarcasm in my post. The point being that nothing is going to make them "comfortable" and book and film deals often bring more profit to the authors and producers than to the victims. The victims often stay quiet and want to recover. Out of that list I have only heard of Natasha Kampush, more to down to regular interviews with press which is rather unusual.. Steven had a tv film made about his life, if I recall he died in a accident a few years after being rescued. Other books have not been well publicised.

Nothing but nothing is going to bring comfort and no amount of money is going to make it any better. I find the thought distasteful.
  • Options
    stargazer61stargazer61 Posts: 70,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LIZALYNN wrote: »
    It amazes me to hear reports that Amanda, Gina and Jocelyn are in remarkably good health. How can they be?
    They were very thin which meant they were not fed well and I wonder how they got all their vitamins especially D? They hadn't seen any sunlight.
    I was wondering about the three women's personal needs. That monster would have had to buy certain items for the girls so weren't the store keepers suspicious of him?
    So many questions. It doesn't surprise me in the least that poor MIchelle has been permanently injured. I really hope she gets well enough to leave the hospital soon.

If you shop in large hypermarkets a mile or so away from where you live, nobody is going to notice what you buy, be it baby food, female personal items, extra food or whatever. No reason for any store staff to find it suspicious whatsoever - men do do the shopping!

Considering their ordeal, they are in 'good health' physically if not mentally. Humans are remarkably resilient and a good diet from now on should overcome most (but probably not all) of the potential long term problems.
  • Options
    James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    I think you missed the note of sarcasm in my post. The point being that nothing is going to make them "comfortable" and book and film deals often bring more profit to the authors and producers than to the victims. The victims often stay quiet and want to recover. Out of that list I have only heard of Natasha Kampush, more to down to regular interviews with press which is rather unusual.. Steven had a tv film made about his life, if I recall he died in a accident a few years after being rescued. Other books have not been well publicised.

Nothing but nothing is going to bring comfort and no amount of money is going to make it any better. I find the thought distasteful.

I do agree with that no matter how much money they get will not make up for what happened to them.

But as stories-books and likely TV movies will be made about all of this anyway I do hope they do get paid enough to live the best they possibly can considering the circumstances.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They could call the book "Waiting to be heard II: The Cellar Dwellers"
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    LIZALYNN wrote: »

i think he would be more likely to supply them with rags.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    fink wrote: »

Oooo :eek:

I give up and I am going out that actually made me laugh.:(
  • Options
    Scott ChegScott Cheg Posts: 393
    Forum Member
    I wonder if he allowed them simple luxuries like having a shower, or if he just hosed them down with cold water while they were still hogtied.
  • Options
    RecordPlayerRecordPlayer Posts: 22,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Haven't they suffered enough?

Indeed.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Scott Cheg wrote: »
    I wonder if he allowed them simple luxuries like having a shower, or if he just hosed them down with cold water while they were still hogtied.

They weren't tied up all the time. They said on the News that that they were tied up some of the time. Also, if you were tied up ontonuously for ten years, I doubt you'd be able to walk easily.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,126
    Forum Member
    25 signs that Ariel Castro was up to no good
    http://globalgrind.com/news/signs-ariel-castro-was-no-good-list

Hearsay and gossip with a touch of hindsight thrown in....I think I'll wait for the official enquiry before passing judgment on the Cleavland Police
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hearsay and gossip with a touch of hindsight thrown in....I think I'll wait for the official enquiry before passing judgment on the Cleavland Police

I second that.
  • Options
    bollywoodbollywood Posts: 67,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Failing to see the humor. Also they lived upstairs for part of their time.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bollywood wrote: »
    Failing to see the humor. Also they lived upstairs for part of their time.

Apparently so.
  • Options
    TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Fair point, but I think you forgot one thing: the society's desire to know answers. Survivors often have to deal with relentless questions and scepticism - why didn't you run when you had a chance?, why didn't you fight back?, why didn't you call the police?, how do you handle your basic needs? etc., which can (and did) interfere with their attempt to move on. A book or whatnot is a chance for them to say "Here, read this. Now please leave me alone."

Colleen Stan didn't want to talk about her experiences, but the media and the public increasingly believed she wasn't a victim because she had had a few opportunities to escape during her captivity. So she wrote the book to explain what happened, particularly the psychological angle. Enquiries apparently died down after the book was published. Same with Steven Staynor. He didn't want his experiences to be known, as sexual abuse was still a taboo in his time, but the media and the public pestered him so much that he agreed to a TV film.

It's unfortunate that that had to happen, but privacy doesn't exist any more in that respect. Frustrating, really.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fair point, but I think you forgot one thing: the society's desire to know answers. Victims often have to deal with relentless questions and scepticism - why didn't you run when you had a chance?, why didn't you fight back?, why didn't you call the police?, how do you handle your basic needs? etc. - can interfere with their attempt to move on. A book or whatnot is a chance for them to say "Here, read this. Now please leave me alone."

Colleen Stan didn't want to talk about her experiences, but the media and the public increasingly believed she wasn't a victim because she had had a few opportunities to escape during her captivity. So she wrote the book to explain what happened, particularly the psychological angle. Enquiries apparently died down after the book was published. Same with Steven Staynor. He didn't want his experiences to be known, as sexual abuse was still a taboo in his time, but the media and the public pestered him so much that he agreed to a TV film.

It's unfortunate that that had to happen, but privacy doesn't exist any more in that respect. Frustrating, really.
    Agreed.

I acknowledge the need to explain criticism. I just think it sad that victims of these horrendous events are made to feel the need. Personally, I don't think they do it for the money. They are exploited and maybe are put under pressure to explain.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Apparently so.

Mocking Amanda Berry and her child by calling them cellar dwellers?

I hope you don't have any jokes about the Boston bomb amputees that you want to share.
  • Options
    RecordPlayerRecordPlayer Posts: 22,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Scott Cheg wrote: »

Apparently, they were fed through holes in their bedroom doors until their spirits were broken, then they were allowed to roam around the house.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    <snip>Survivors often have to deal with relentless questions and scepticism - why didn't you run when you had a chance?, why didn't you fight back?, why didn't you call the police?

Victims should not be coerced to speak about private matters, but when they do, they educate people, start to remove the taboo of being a victim, and can help others be alert to bad situations. Recall that the Cleveland guy blamed his victims for getting into the car.

Elizabeth Smart is a good example. People asked why she didn't just leave her captor when they were in public. Now thanks to her speaking out, there is more understanding. She de-mystified the graphic details into bad acts of a dirty and evil old man, a religious hypocrite.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 87,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Good article. After experiencing violence for a number of years I can relate to what the author says. Thanks for the link.

"Dr. Cohen put it more sharply: “It’s very easy to sit in your living room and second-guess from the safety of your couch why somebody didn’t act a certain way. But when your life is under constant threat, you think and act and feel quite differently.”
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bollywood wrote: »
    Mocking Amanda Berry and her child by calling them cellar dwellers?

I was actually mocking the notion of the inevitable book, but I know many on DS like yourself miss those nuances in favour of the usual grief-fest.