Options

Names you like which are now considered old fashioned?

Molly BloomMolly Bloom Posts: 2,318
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I find names a fascinating subject, how a name one person loves can be despised by another and just the general history and meaning of names. I notice that a lot of names I like would now be considered old fashioned, in a world full of little Chardonnay's and Jayden's.

What names do you like which are decreasing in use on children in this day and age? What children have you come across with the most "old fashioned" name you have heard lately?

Comments

• Options
    exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    Molly.
  • Options
    TiwttmosTiwttmos Posts: 2,573
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Alfie, and Mavis.
  • Options
    Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    My mum and dad were Maud and Reg'.

I'm guessing you won't see either of those feature prominently in any "top 10 kid's names" lists these days.
  • Options
    Neil5234Neil5234 Posts: 1,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Esther
  • Options
    Serial LurkerSerial Lurker Posts: 10,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Evelyn
  • Options
    shmiskshmisk Posts: 7,963
    Forum Member
    Gabriel
  • Options
    Pistol WhipPistol Whip Posts: 9,677
    Forum Member
    Dorothy and Wilfred.
  • Options
    mintbromintbro Posts: 6,733
    Forum Member
    A lot of names are going out of fashion. It's rare a baby is called David these days
  • Options
    UffaUffa Posts: 1,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Florence.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,734
    Forum Member
    Tiwttmos wrote: »
    Alfie, and Mavis.

Alfie's right up there these days, I know of at least three young Alfies under 8.

We need more Stanleys for a start. Howard's a funny one. I like it, because I like Howard Kendall and Howard Jones, but then there's the nerdy Howard from that programme with Richard Briers which might be better remembered because it gets shown on tv more. More cool Howards would be good.

Mavis, Maud, Reg and Maureen, weren't they all in Coronation Street 20 years ago? Maybe that's put people off, because they were like joke characters.

Linda is good, but you don't see many Lindas under 50. A shame, because it means pretty in Spanish, a nice girls name.
  • Options
    twingletwingle Posts: 19,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Alfie's right up there these days, I know of at least three young Alfies under 8.

We need more Stanleys for a start. Howard's a funny one. I like it, because I like Howard Kendall and Howard Jones, but then there's the nerdy Howard from that programme with Richard Briers which might be better remembered because it gets shown on tv more. More cool Howards would be good.

Mavis, Maud, Reg and Maureen, weren't they all in Coronation Street 20 years ago? Maybe that's put people off, because they were like joke characters.

Linda is good, but you don't see many Lindas under 50. A shame, because it means pretty in Spanish, a nice girls name.

My dear departed dad was a Stanley and he hated how all the Stanley's on tele were made out to be daft.

I have known four Linda's throughout my life and not one of them was a nice person which has made me hate the name . No es un nombre bonita!!
  • Options
    Bus Stop2012Bus Stop2012 Posts: 5,624
    Forum Member
    ^^^^
    Stanley sounds a great name. I like Walter too.
  • Options
    ChasingSundaysChasingSundays Posts: 550
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ^^^^

Aw my grandad is a Walter, it does get shortened to Wally though which is a bit unfortunate
  • Options
    ratty0ratty0 Posts: 2,720
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Molly.

There are tons of Mollys around - perhaps it's not in vogue right now but a few years ago it was. My niece is called Molly and she's about 10, so maybe it's more that age range.

Quite a lot of old fashioned names are now in fashion. I think ones that are rarely used are more 'middle aged' names (e.g. Keith, Kevin, Deborah, Tracey, that kind of thing).
  • Options
    mintbromintbro Posts: 6,733
    Forum Member
    ^^^^

My middle name is Stanley, given after my Grandad
  • Options
    ElanorElanor Posts: 13,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My lovely granny was a Molly, and I always though if I'd had a daughter, I'd like to call her Molly. But then Molly got really really popular - I know loads of young Mollies now.

I like the idea of using family names. I did a lot of family history research a while back, and we have some lovely names in the family - Matilda is one of my favourites.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Aw my grandad is a Walter, it does get shortened to Wally though which is a bit unfortunate

Well, I reckon its still one that will soon make a comeback. Even Wally doesn't seem to have the connotation that it did once. It sounds rather nice now :)

ETA. Rather like Charlie, which is now 3rd most popular.
  • Options
    venusinflaresvenusinflares Posts: 4,194
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like Mabel (or is it Mable?). Unheard of nowadays.
  • Options
    desperate housedesperate house Posts: 3,176
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was always told to name children after saints or kings. I didn't though, I named them after the Beatles, although my daughter hated being called Ringo!:blush::blush:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    mintbro wrote: »
    My middle name is Stanley, given after my Grandad

Stanley came in to the top 100 boy's names in 2013 at number 87.

ETA. A few names that FMs have mentioned are in the top 100 list: Matilda, Evelyn, Florence. Clara is there too, which I think is a nice name.
  • Options
    DrFlowDemandDrFlowDemand Posts: 2,121
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like Enid and Edith.
  • Options
    Miss XYZMiss XYZ Posts: 14,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I like Elsie, and I like Stanley for a boy.
  • Options
    AnitaSAnitaS Posts: 4,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My mum's Pamela, my dad's Kenneth. Neither name is popular now. My grandpa, though, George, and grandma, Daisy, are relatively common names for kids these days. My children have ordinary names, no Jayden, Kayden or Shayden in my family.
  • Options
    kippehkippeh Posts: 6,655
    Forum Member
    Ebeneezer
  • Options
    floogfloog Posts: 981
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maureen