The 15 people you will find in any forum or comments section

Comments

• tealadytealady Posts: 26,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bollywood wrote: »
    Not really because it's opinions not a scientific study.
    Not really, they might claim "X said this" and you think, "well, that seems very unlikely - where can I read that" or they might say "most people do or have X" and you might want a bit of justification.
    Pub Facts
  • bollywoodbollywood Posts: 67,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BinaryDad wrote: »
    In any discussion, you're still required to prove why your "opinions" make more sense than another persons. And it's up to each person to provide that proof, not for others to go looking for it.

You're not required to 'prove' anything. That's how posters who do that got on the list.
  • BinaryDadBinaryDad Posts: 3,988
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bollywood wrote: »
    You're not required to 'prove' anything. That's how posters who do that got on the list.

Perhaps not. But if you want your views to be considered, it's a basic requirement to be able to back them up with evidence of your logic.Otherwise the argument will be ignored and the person making it will quite rightly, be looked on as an idiot.
  • stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tealady wrote: »
    Where was the one for a post that adds to the discussion by way of experience or an example?
    What about someone who has expertise on a subject ?

Think they're far too rare to be on the list!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stoatie wrote: »
    Think they're far too rare to be on the list!

And even if they appear, their expertise tends to be ignored.
  • jjwalesjjwales Posts: 48,568
    Forum Member
    In any discussion, you're still required to prove why your "opinions" make more sense than another persons. And it's up to each person to provide that proof, not for others to go looking for it.

It's generally assertions that people request evidence for, not opinions.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jjwales wrote: »
    It's generally assertions that people request evidence for, not opinions.

Opinions are generally a belief that certain assertions are true. The real issue is that opinions are typically not based on facts or any evidence. And this is where the problem comes from - people don;t like having to show their evidence for their views because...well...they don't have any.
  • tealadytealady Posts: 26,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Opinions are generally a belief that certain assertions are true. The real issue is that opinions are typically not based on facts or any evidence. And this is where the problem comes from - people don;t like having to show their evidence for their views because...well...they don't have any.
    ^This (irony alert)
    Here's a current thread that can used as an example
    http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2062051
    http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showpost.php?p=77499998&postcount=20
    Forum Member
    Opinions are generally a belief that certain assertions are true.

In which case, wouldn't it be quite reasonable to ask for evidence that the assertion is indeed true?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In which case, wouldn't it be quite reasonable to ask for evidence that the assertion is indeed true?

Well, an assertion is just a forceful statement of fact or belief. In fact, it is a synonym for opinion. There really isn't a lot of distinction, just the way the statement is worded.

"I think that all red cars are the best" (opinion)
    "All red cars are the best" (assertion)

This is probably less than polite of me to say, but I think you're trying your hand at pedantry and not getting it quite right because you don't understand the difference between an opinion and an assertion. And to be honest, I had to double check it myself.
    Forum Member
    Well, an assertion is just a forceful statement of fact or belief. In fact, it is a synonym for opinion. There really isn't a lot of distinction, just the way the statement is worded.

"I think that all red cars are the best" (opinion)
    "All red cars are the best" (assertion)

This is probably less than polite of me to say, but I think you're trying your hand at pedantry and not getting it quite right because you don't understand the difference between an opinion and an assertion. And to be honest, I had to double check it myself.

No, I'm not trying to be pedantic, but perhaps I was wrong to think that an assertion is the same thing as a claim?
  • calamitycalamity Posts: 12,894
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hate to disappoint you, but from my view, if they don't provide any evidence then they can just be ignored. No sweating involved - just a good indication that the other person is most likely a poorly educated buffoon.
    OH dear a know it all with even more attitude and sarky with it :D:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    calamity wrote: »
    OH dear a know it all with even more attitude and sarky with it :D:D

I've been called worse :)
    No, I'm not trying to be pedantic, but perhaps I was wrong to think that an assertion is the same thing as a claim?

Fair enough, that seems a more likely explanation that my own which, let's be honest, was a wee bit abrasive.
  • hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well you get all kinds of people in comments section, Some may have a best of the comment section which picks the reaction the writer wants to show people.
  • mashamoto79mashamoto79 Posts: 2,884
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gif posters

Not here obviously, but they just post a 'funny gif' instead of using words. There can be a thread and it can be gif after gif and they use that way to communicate.
  • Old EndeavourOld Endeavour Posts: 9,852
    Forum Member
    RebelScum wrote: »
    16. The Nice Guy
    17. The Breaking News Guy
    18. The PBU
    19. The ill informed, thick as shit, self entitled, always angry man of the people and his quest for social justice
    20. The elephant with mental health issues in the chatroom.

21. The religious! (They issue statements like they are fact on a discussion site and them refuse to discuss or demand that people should show them respect for talking complete nonsense.)
  • CravenHavenCravenHaven Posts: 13,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Has the person who is always flippant and can't take anything seriously been mentioned-or the one who can't get/take a joke?
    :D - that is some of my favourite stuff

Q: Should we be told how old an aircraft is when booking a Flight?"
    A1 : "B52's flying now were made in the 1950's and 60's and will remain in service until at least 2040 with the US Airforce"
    A2 : "B52s are meant to kill people"

apparently this merited a 'serious' response
    :kitty:
  • BerBer Posts: 24,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The 'I'm entitled to my opinion, free speech' brigade.

Yes, you are entitled to your opinion and others are entitled to comment on it. That's how free speech generally works.
  • Richard46Richard46 Posts: 59,833
    Forum Member
    Perhaps not. But if you want your views to be considered, it's a basic requirement to be able to back them up with evidence of your logic.Otherwise the argument will be ignored and the person making it will quite rightly, be looked on as an idiot.

I would add that a series of declarations about what people think does not really merit being called discussion. Exploring the competing or contrasting reasons for holding a view are what makes an exchange a discussion and indeed what makes them interesting.

The fact that an anonymous poster holds a particular position e.g. MrEgg82 agrees with capital punishment is of no interest whatsoever. MrEgg82's reasons for holding their view might be however and those reasons can be discussed.

I would go so far as to say that simply stating an opinion on here is a complete waste of time unless it is accompanied with some logic or argument or evidence or indeed all three.
  • LinseyapLinseyap Posts: 5,748
    Forum Member
    So funny, I keep noticing these people on here now :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 63
    Forum Member
    Rachael. wrote: »
    I'm definitely number 3. I never express my views. Mainly due to not being good at putting what I'm thinking into words and also I'm afraid of being shot down for being wrong lol

This :P
  • JohnbeeJohnbee Posts: 4,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My favourites are those that post in a help thread and instead of helping, just say someone else's help is completely wrong.

Of course also the prats in computer help threads, who only ever say 'it is a virus', 'you need to reinstall Windows' and of course 'Norton's is rubbish'.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 189
    Forum Member
    If it hasn't already been said - yes guilty of not reading whole thread:blush: - The Aggressive Butter Inner who turns up during a conversation choosing to target one paricular point of view with an over the top remark designed to be offensive enough to chase the poster away. Just from what I've noticed, they sometimes get away with it when everyone else tries to pretend that didn't just happen.
  • EvieJEvieJ Posts: 6,025
    Forum Member
    If it hasn't already been said - yes guilty of not reading whole thread:blush: - The Aggressive Butter Inner who turns up during a conversation choosing to target one paricular point of view with an over the top remark designed to be offensive enough to chase the poster away. Just from what I've noticed, they sometimes get away with it when everyone else tries to pretend that didn't just happen.

Oh yes, I can think of a couple of these.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 189
    Forum Member
    Again if it's not already been mentioned, the Word Twister, for example:

You could post that you avoid family friendly pubs if you're out for a drink with your mates.
    The Word Twister will grab hold of the wrong end of the stick and go and on about you not liking families, how can you not familes, there must be something wrong with people who don't like families, and on and on.
    Can think of a much better name than Word Twister,....one word, 6 letters and begins with W.