niki1969niki1969 Posts: 153
Forum Member
Val Doonican died today aged 88. RIP

Comments

• Options
    Lesley_Ann_McArLesley_Ann_McAr Posts: 564
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just read it on a BBC newsflash, he reminds me of my late gran and her late sister as they both used to like his jumpers.
  • Options
    Eddie BadgerEddie Badger Posts: 6,005
    Forum Member
    He was a fixture on Saturday night telly in my younger days, he always came over a very likeable person. RIP
  • Options
    welwynrosewelwynrose Posts: 33,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Use to love his show back in the day - he had a lovely singing voice
  • Options
    DianaFireDianaFire Posts: 12,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lovely singer and guitar player, and seemed like a real gentleman too. I'm glad it was peaceful. According to his daughter he was "fit as a flea" at 87 but his "batteries just ran out".
  • Options
    donna255donna255 Posts: 10,177
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ah!!!!!!

RIP Val, you made me happy as a child singing silly little songs.
  • Options
    Cally's mumCally's mum Posts: 4,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He was my mum's hero. She absolutely adored him and his jumpers... Very sad. but he had a good innings. RIP Val and thanks for the lovely memories.
  • Options
    HenryGartenHenryGarten Posts: 24,800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sad news but he had a long life.

He used to be an institution at the BBC.
  • Options
    Double HelixDouble Helix Posts: 228
    Forum Member
    A sad loss, but he had a good innings. I used to love his Christmas Eve show on BBC1 back in the early 80s. He was the musical and entertainment equivalent of a warm blanket and comfort food on a winter's night.

RIP Val. Your warmth and talent will be missed.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,510
    Forum Member
    Another one I thought died years ago, so glad he lived to a grand old age....he was brilliant on Saturday night prime time and very funny
  • Options
    Andy2Andy2 Posts: 11,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aw. Despite what many may say about his middle-of-the-road songs and cosy image, he was a great entertainer and his show was a highlight on TV for 20 years. A nice man by all accounts. RIP Val.
  • Options
    IRITALIAIRITALIA Posts: 6,508
    Forum Member
    A fine singer and a very amicable presenter from the days when the whole family sat round the TV together on a Saturday evening.
    Perhaps they still do it's just me getting older and thinking back? :D

Anyway, RIP Val and now the heavenly choir have got a fine baritone to add to the ranks. :)
  • Options
    Ella NutElla Nut Posts: 9,031
    Forum Member
    RIP Val. Fond childhood memories.
  • Options
    EurostarEurostar Posts: 78,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RIP Val

By all accounts, he was a genuinely nice man.....too nice and normal for the showbiz industry perhaps
  • Options
    GroutyGrouty Posts: 34,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RIP Val :(

Condolences to all family and friends.
  • Options
    cavallicavalli Posts: 18,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aww no, that's so sad. He reminds of evenings spent with Granny and Granddad playing draughts and eating doorstop marmite and butter sandwiches.

RIP to all of you x
  • Options
    HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Awwww .... My Dad used to sing this to me

http://www.lyricsfreak.com/v/val+doonican/the+special+years_20289969.html

The words are spot on for a teenage girl

We used to love Delaneys Donkey too. It used to be on the Saturday morning kids radio prog. All the time.

RIP
  • Options
    thmsthms Posts: 61,009
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One of the first records I ever bought was Walk Tall. Still a favourite. I hope today's sad announcement creates a revival of interest in the man, his songs and why he was so popular.
  • Options
    WigglingWonderWigglingWonder Posts: 21
    Forum Member
    I was fortunate to have worked on some of his shows in the early days of my career.

Val was a genuinely kind and warm gentleman, as well as a complete professional. He made appearing on TV seem so natural. His talents as a musician were probably greater and wider than many people think.

I remember those times with great affection.
  • Options
    mal2poolmal2pool Posts: 5,690
    Forum Member
    Used to love the val doonican show when I was a kid, he seemed like a friendly uncle, loved the comic songs like Delaney's donkey and others like elusive butterfly
  • Options
    welwynrosewelwynrose Posts: 33,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DianaFire wrote: »
    Lovely singer and guitar player, and seemed like a real gentleman too. I'm glad it was peaceful. According to his daughter he was "fit as a flea" at 87 but his "batteries just ran out".

Not bad on the Harmonica either

https://youtu.be/UAcRug1saTY
  • Options
    The_SleeperThe_Sleeper Posts: 201,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sad new indeed, loved his shows on a saturday night

RIP Val :(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember his shows, looking back Val and the BBC attracted big name US C&W stars.

His best selling album knocked Sgt. Pepper off the No. 1 spot.
  • Options
    St. AnthonySt. Anthony Posts: 1,122
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

His best selling album knocked Sgt. Pepper off the No. 1 spot.

I did not know that.

I know its not a particularly cool thing now to note, but Rolf Harris had the last number one of the 60's.

RIP Val x
  • Options
    EurostarEurostar Posts: 78,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was fortunate to have worked on some of his shows in the early days of my career.

Val was a genuinely kind and warm gentleman, as well as a complete professional. He made appearing on TV seem so natural. His talents as a musician were probably greater and wider than many people think.

I remember those times with great affection.

Yes, he was a lot more talented than people probably realised. He could play several musical instruments and did all the arrangements on his own show, even for big name guests like John Denver.
  • Options
    FlannoFlanno Posts: 1,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I heard the sad news of Val Doonican's passing earlier this morning. I used to watch his BBC TV shows on Saturday evenings during the 70s of my childhood. May he R.I.P. :(

Wasn't he responsible for introducing that awful puppet called Basil Brush to the GBP in one of his TV shows? Basil Brush's hideous laugh - at first I found Basil's unique laugh quite amusing and then it started to annoy me a lot every time he appeared on TV. Not one of his hardcore fans, I'm afraid.