Options

No alcohol, and no pork.

Comments

• Options
    Under SoulUnder Soul Posts: 2,989
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.london-se1.co.uk/forum/read/1/187875

I checked DS rules and it seems okay to post this, I hope so.

• Options
    BrotherDanielBrotherDaniel Posts: 1,439
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jra wrote: »
    I'm fully aware it isn't just Muslims that don't eat pork. Well most of them anyway. Muslims are not supposed to drink alcohol either, but I know quite a few that claim they go daily to the mosque to pray, yet half an hour later will be supping on a Jack Daniels. You've got to love religion for the hypocrisy and inconsistency.

I'm not sure the relevance this has to do with your muslim friends that struggles to obey there faith.
  • Options
    jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    Beyond help because I don't eat pork....

Listen to yourself.

Other than that is not what I said. At least a vegetarian or vegan has justifiable reasons in the main for not eating pork (or other meats), but not to eat pork for religious reasons is just pure BS. There are plenty of food poisoning incidents caused by (undercooked) poultry, lamb and beef for example, but there seems to be no problem eating those, if you are a Muslim.
  • Options
    BrotherDanielBrotherDaniel Posts: 1,439
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Other than that is not what I said. At least a vegetarian or vegan has justifiable reasons in the main for not eating pork (or other meats), but not to eat pork for religious reasons is just pure BS. There are plenty of food poisoning incidents caused by (undercooked) poultry, lamb and beef for example, but there seems to be no problem eating those, if you are a Muslim.

Well you did say it.

Pure BS. You say is an insult, how about you become tolerate to people's beliefs a little more.

How do you know I eat any meat for that matter?
  • Options
    HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Whilst I'll concede it's not rational, neither are fears of spiders, for example.

I wouldn't call them 'BS'.

Although I still don't think you've quite got it. As already mentioned, Muslims see pork the way we see cockroaches. We don't eat cockroaches even though they are perfectly safe to eat and contain lots of protein.

Just live and let live.
  • Options
    exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member

The reason I post in this thread is because its a public forum and this topic interested me.
    Then how about you contribute something on the topic, you haven't once mentioned the hotel, its new owner or the change he's making.
  • Options
    bspacebspace Posts: 14,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    wonder what their attitude to ganja is cause with no pork or alcohol they could do good trade with the rastas
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hypnodisc wrote: »
    Whilst I'll concede it's not rational, neither are fears of spiders, for example.

Although I still don't think you've quite got it. As already mentioned, Muslims see pork the way we see cockroaches. We don't eat cockroaches even though they are perfectly safe to eat and contain lots of protein.

Just live and let live.

Although a few Brits would eat roaches for a dare, they even sell them in some shops and wouldn't receive condemnation. I bet Muslims eating pork would be frowned upon to put it mildly.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Under Soul wrote: »
    Although a few Brits would eat roaches for a dare, they even sell them in some shops and wouldn't receive condemnation. I bet Muslims eating pork would be frowned upon to put it mildly.

I think you have a very biased view of things.

Most average people 'turn away' with revulsion when Bush Tucker Trials air on I'm A Celeb' (or at least watch it through their hands)

Of course though we don't have religious views on eating or not eating cockroaches, so direct comparisons cannot be made, but yeah, people still 'condemn' it as abnormal.

You try munching on insects in the average high street and see how much love you receive from the general public :D
  • Options
    Forum Member

Just live and let live.

So why don't muslims eat them?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So why don't muslims eat them?

Why don't we eat them?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Why don't we eat them?
    I asked first.
  • Options
    jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member

They are probably safe to eat once they've been cooked, but until then they are disease ridden, much more than pork and other meats we eat commonly in the west.

http://www.pestworld.org/news-and-views/pest-health-hub/posts/the-truth-about-cockroaches-and-health/

Page 4
    http://www.who.int/water_sanitation_health/resources/vector288to301.pdf
    Well you did say it.

Pure BS. You say is an insult, how about you become tolerate to people's beliefs a little more.

How do you know I eat any meat for that matter?

I've no problem with doing a bit of religion bashing, whatever the religion. Religion hasn't exactly got a good track record for tolerance and logic and has been one of the major causes of wars throughout history. So, on the tolerance front, look at it as returning the favour.

Well, if you don't eat meat, why pick on pork in particular, because I've yet to see you provide a valid reason for you not doing so, since presumably you don't eat it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I asked first.

So what?

Does the same point not apply?

Presumably they don't eat them for the same reason we don't. Not part of the culture.
    I've no problem with doing a bit of religion bashing, whatever the religion. Religion hasn't exactly got a good track record for tolerance and logic and has been of the major causes of wars throughout history. So, on the tolerance front, look at it as returning the favour.

Yes, but this is a preposterously petulant attitude for a grown adult to have.

No doubt religion isn't perfect, but it accomplishes a lot of good things and even where it seriously fails, just bashing it solves nothing and can even stand to make divisions worse.

Well, if you don't eat meat, why pick on pork in particular, because I've yet to see you provide a valid reason for you not doing so, since presumably you don't eat it.

I eat meat, and pork? I'm an atheist.

Although I admire vegetarians, and wish I had that level of self-control. Long, long term the amount of meat in Western diets isn't really sustainable.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,899
    Forum Member
    I don't eat pork, not for religious reasons but it just tastes nasty. I eat bacon however. :p
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.london-se1.co.uk/forum/read/1/187875

I checked DS rules and it seems okay to post this, I hope so.

Thanks for that, very interesting read.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ramo1234 wrote: »
    I don't eat pork, not for religious reasons but it just tastes nasty. I eat bacon however. :p

A lot of my friends are the same - no pork apart from bacon. My only problem with pork is that it's the meat that's most likely to get stuck between my teeth though. Pulled pork seems to be massive at the moment with the explosion in Mexican food.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    So what?

Does the same point not apply?

Presumably they don't eat them for the same reason we don't. Not part of the culture.

Nope, they're not allowed same as pork so your pork v cockroaches excuse goes out the window.

Who's the 'we' btw?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Under Soul wrote: »
    A lot of my friends are the same - no pork apart from bacon. My only problem with pork is that it's the meat that's most likely to get stuck between my teeth though. Pulled pork seems to be massive at the moment with the explosion in Mexican food.

A nicely cooked Hog roast is far better tasting than mere pork.
  • Options
    StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member
    I think the whole point is, they are advertising these goods but not supplying them and that could land him in trouble.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nope, they're not allowed same as pork so your pork v cockroaches excuse goes out the window.

Eh? :confused:
    Who's the 'we' btw?

The non-Muslim West?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Eh? :confused:
    You said they see pork the same as we see cockroaches as if that lets them off but they see cockroaches the same.

The non-Muslim West?

Why just in the west?

Muslims and their beliefs are worldwide yet you've narrowed it down to the west for your argument, the Chinese for example eat cockroaches.

When cooked, pork is safe to eat and so are cockroaches.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You said they see pork the same as we see cockroaches as if that lets them off but they see cockroaches the same.

So what? I don't see how my point differs :confused:
    Why just in the west?

Muslims and their beliefs are worldwide yet you've narrowed it down to the west for your argument, the Chinese for example eat cockroaches.

When cooked, pork is safe to eat and so are cockroaches.

I really haven't a clue what to say. I think somewhere along the line you may be missing the point of my argument.

And yes, I know that pork and cockroaches are 100% safe to eat when cooked. I never said either was unsafe, nor did I say such beliefs were rational.

They are what they are though. Beliefs people hold.

This really isn't tricky to grasp :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    So what? I don't see how my point differs :confused:

I really haven't a clue what to say. I think somewhere along the line you may be missing the point of my argument.

And yes, I know that pork and cockroaches are 100% safe to eat when cooked. I never said either was unsafe, nor did I say such beliefs were rational.

They are what they are though. Beliefs people hold.

This really isn't tricky to grasp :confused:

Well it was you who brought cockroaches into the pork argument.
  • Options
    Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No idea why no alcohol on sale should bother anyone at all. There is no mention that the Hotel owner has banned alcohol from the premises which is what some appear to be implying.

The sale of alcohol on any business premises requires a licence.

Myself and some friends sometimes go to an Indian Restaurant which does really cracking meals at a decent price. They have no alcohol licence but customers simply take along their own drinks.

Why such a fuss just because a Hotel isn't selling alcohol? :confused: