Options

Thomson DT16300 software update

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6
Forum Member
Good afternoon everyone, I wonder if anyone can help me.

I have read all the bad comments about the Thomson DT16300 boxes (sure seems to be a lot of them!)
I bought one from Asda 3 years ago (160 gig) and I have to say that apart from a few programs being missed, and a few freezes and reboots, I have generally been pleased with it, probably spoke to soon now!!

My problem is with one I have just bought from eBay, same model as mine, DT16300 (160 gig) All seems to work well, but it only has the 8 day guide with no series link.
There is no facility to change to the 14 day guide like on my other one, after trying all the usual things on the engineers menu, i.e. reboots, formats, rescan, etc., etc., I noticed the software version is 2.3, where on my other one it’s 7.09.
No problem I thought, I’ll just update the software by following the instructions on the to up TV page, that didn’t work, so did the FORCE NEXT OAD, option several times, that didn’t work, still have the old software and no 14 day guide and no series link.

Phoned up to ask for help and was told that as the unit has not been left on for sometime, it hasn't been getting the updates and the software that i have is now to old to be updated, it can’t be any older then version 5 to be updated.

This seems stupid as I now have a box which although works, can’t be updated to the latest software, and can’t have the 14 day epg or the series link, the guy told me even if they aren't being used, always leave them plugged in and connected to avoid this problem.

Anyone else had this?, does anyone know of a way around this so I can get the latest software along with the 14 day epg and series link?

Thanks.

Mike

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 88
    Forum Member
    Mike,

See my comments in this thread on how to possibly fix it.

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1615482
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Hi People, just an update on the problems trying to update the software from version 2.3 to 7.09.
    After taking both units apart and connecting the hard drives up to a computer, I successfully managed to copy mine out of the 7.09 one to the other from the 2.3 one.
    That took 6 hours in total with a couple of broken clips..Grrrrrrrrr!, put the hard drives back, did the usual purge VOD option & then the Force Next OAD, rescanned etc., etc.,, unfortunately made no difference at all, still have the old software, no 14 day guide, no series link and still the old software version 2.3.
    Looks like they were right when they said it can’t be updated if the software version is that old.
    So be warned everyone when looking for a second hand unit, do as I’m now doing and ask the seller what software version is installed
    Cheers
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 88
    Forum Member
    Sorry it didn't work it's a shame that a copy of both the firmwares are not stored on the HDD so that you can just copy it and install it on another machine. That's what I was hoping it would achieve when you see both the available firmware's listed in the help menu.

Why Thomson don't allow you to download the firmware from the web and update it via the USB socket on the front which is the most obvious way to update it I don't know.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yes totally agree, that would be a much better way of doing it