Options

Anyone else dislike really long drawn out intros and dialogue (talkies?) in songs?

2»

Comments

• Options
    ashtray88ashtray88 Posts: 1,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Makson wrote: »
    There's a version of Brandy and Monica's "The Boy Is Mine" with dialogue at the start;

Brandy: "excuse me, can I please talk to you for a minute?"
    Monica: "yeah sure, you know....you look kind of familiar"
    Brandy: " yeah you do too. Well I just want to know do you know somebody named ______ ?
    Monica: "oh yeah I know his name!"
    Brandy: "we'll I just want you to know that he's mine"
    Monica: " nuh-uh, he's mine!"

CRIIIIINNNNNGGGGGGEEEEE:o

I always loved that bit..:o Even though nobody talks like that.
  • Options
    MaksonMakson Posts: 30,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ashtray88 wrote: »
    I always loved that bit..:o Even though nobody talks like that.

I never understood why they couldn't just make up any name instead of leaving it blank?!:confused:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I like the talking in Never Ever!

Destinys Child were really bad for this, I know it's linked in with the theme of the album but hearing them say 'thou shall pay bills' before all the songs on the album is very annoying.
  • Options
    MaksonMakson Posts: 30,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like the talking in Never Ever!

Destinys Child were really bad for this, I know it's linked in with the theme of the album but hearing them say 'thou shall pay bills' before all the songs on the album is very annoying.

Now I actually thought that was cleverly done with having their own commandment thing as an introduction to each song.
    I'm pretty sure they only said "thou shall pay bills" before Bills, Bills, Bills.
    Another one was "thou shall not think you got it going on like that", "thou shall not give into temptation"....can't remember the rest.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    yea the bills bit was all I can remember. don't get me wrong it's clever but after the first listen it's just annoying.
  • Options
    IzzySIzzyS Posts: 11,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Makson wrote: »
    Now I actually thought that was cleverly done with having their own commandment thing as an introduction to each song.
    I'm pretty sure they only said "thou shall pay bills" before Bills, Bills, Bills.
    Another one was "thou shall not think you got it going on like that", "thou shall not give into temptation"....can't remember the rest.

Yeah thats only the intro for Bills, Bills, Bills. I'd forgotten about that album - its really good :) I don't mind those 'intros' as much as others as their fairly brief and to the point I think. Its the long scripted dialogue between different people that often sounds fake that makes me cringe, like in "The Boy Is Mine" and some Britney Spears songs, as also mentioned before.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    another terrible one is the start of 'it wasn't me' by shaggy, so cringe.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    another terrible one is the start of 'it wasn't me' by shaggy, so cringe.

Or Boombastic :rolleyes: or should that be booooommmmbastic :D at least there's rhythm to it though, well kinda lol

ETA:- Ok I guess that doesn't really count
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'll tell you one intro that I do like, which is quite a classic (I think anyway) - Frankie Goes To Hollywood - Two Tribes. Thats really cool with the crescendo leading in and everything :cool:
  • Options
    Dannielle_HowelDannielle_Howel Posts: 1,551
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If it works I like it. Like "The Pierces" - Secret. There's a sort of conversation in the middle... It's quite cringy but it does work.
  • Options
    mgvsmithmgvsmith Posts: 16,458
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Most of you guys are probably not old enough to remember this but this is the ultimate talking intro.

The Bonzo Dog Doo-Dah Band (Viv Stanshall) - 'The Intro and the Outro'
  • Options
    rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I used to like to like it when LL Cool J did it in his earlier years. I think he did it for Doin It.It was avery brief utterance and it ended with him laughing, but it was effective as it suited the song.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mgvsmith wrote: »
    Most of you guys are probably not old enough to remember this but this is the ultimate talking intro.

The Bonzo Dog Doo-Dah Band (Viv Stanshall) - 'The Intro and the Outro'

lol got to love a bit of daftness :D my parents love their stuff :) that sort of thing works better since there's a rhythm/beat behind it - its not pure dialogue and its not the artist trying to make themselves sound Uber cool, doing some show off phone call or some such :sleep:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 201
    Forum Member
    I don't mind long intros much but most talky bits make me cringe, yes. Particularly when they crop up in the middle of a song and are trying to be all serious or lovey dovey. Yuck!
    Even the wee bit in Who Can Say by The Horrors makes me cringe.
    I bloody love the Bonzo's though, Vyv was a genius!
  • Options
    BadKid95BadKid95 Posts: 7,137
    Forum Member
    Neneh Cherry does a bit of it in Buffalo Stance such as "what's he like? ...What you expect the guys a jiggalo mannnn" though I quite like it, has humour to it
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    The only time this really bothered me was that stupid phone conversation in the middle of Alicia Keys' 'you don't know my name'. That song is absolutely gorgeous and the interlude just ruins it.

Luckily I found a version without it online somewhere.

I hate this too! Ruins the song.
    My favourite intro is probably 'Stripped' by Christina Aguilera. I feel like she doens't go overboard & it means something. So many intros/interludes are pointless.