Downton Abbey Series Five Thread

Comments

• MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    kat180 wrote: »
    I'd have loved a suffragette on the show - but Sarah is so annoying and unlikeable I don't think she is right for showing the women's movement.

I have to believe she was written that way on purpose and we're not supposed to like her. JF can't be that clueless!

Maybe they will make Sarah more likeable. You can be passionate and head strong yet be pleasant and interesting.

I can she see could have some bitchy cat fights with Lady Mary which might be fun though! But Tom needs a nice young lady who likes kids.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 550
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MARTYM8 wrote: »
    Maybe they will make Sarah more likeable. You can be passionate and head strong yet be pleasant and interesting.

I can she see could have some bitchy cat fights with Lady Mary which might be fun though! But Tom needs a nice young lady who likes kids.

I don't think she will be much more likeable since she has progressed from bad to worse since we've met her first. At the rally she seemed a bit nosy, but otherwise just very self assured.
    When she ran into Tom with Isobel, she seemed a bit agressive towards Tom "won't you defend your principles" and mocked him a bit, but it could have been seen as "flirty".

Then in the car scene it started nicely, although she still made assumptions about him not really working since he's the son in law, but she said something nice about Sybil and it could have ended on a nice note, but instead she said she doesn't like his family. "Oh what do you have against them?" "Nothing, but as a rule I don't warm to their type."
    And so it ended with Tom's "I don't see types, I see people" remark and when she drove away he didn't look enchanted, but contemplating.

Then at the bazar she asked him in a despicable tone "and you say you're not a beast of burden to them?" then she ignored Cora and made a snarky remark behind her back and Tom said very pointedly "another beast of burden" and left her standing.

And then it went completely downhill in the CS. She was pushy and insulting and if there ever was something "romantic" or "flirty" tobe seen in their encounter it certainly wasn't there any more. She gave the impression that she liked to see Tom squirm and that she looked down on him and on his family. She asked to see the house, but she had nothing good to say and when he said he felt uncomfortable taking her upstairs to the gallery she just ignored it and went up there anyway.

So she has progressed more and more to a negative character and I don't think JF didn't know what he was writing. It's been deliberate.

My prediction is that she is coming back and is even worse. She will probably clash with the Crawleys at one point and by that she will show Tom that he can't go back. I think it will be the end of his inner struggle. He will just accept that he is who he is and where he is.
  • Collins1965Collins1965 Posts: 13,912
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My hopes for series 5:

1. Sarah Bunting is killed off in episode one.

2. Edith gets her daughter back somehow.

3. Bates and Anna leave for good.

4. Mary falls madly in love with a penniless man.

5. Tom meets a nice gentle pretty girl.

6. Rose goes back to her parents for good.

7. Carson dies and Molesley becomes head butler.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Collins1965

Not bad, I could live with all your wishes for season 5 :D:D:D
  • Tangledweb7Tangledweb7 Posts: 3,890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My hopes for series 5:

1. Sarah Bunting is killed off in episode one. Agree Horrible Woman>:(

2. Edith gets her daughter back somehow. I hope so I want something good to happen to Edith.:)

3. Bates and Anna leave for good. Not a Fan but I can't see them leaving.;-)

4. Mary falls madly in love with a penniless man. Ha Ha! not likely but it might make her more interesting.;-)

5. Tom meets a nice gentle pretty girl. I wouldn't him getting with Edith although very unlikely.:);-)

6. Rose goes back to her parents for good. Brilliant can't stand her.;-)

7. Carson dies and Molesley becomes head butler. Not Likely since he has to get with Mrs Hughes first but it would be nice to see Molesley promoted.;-)

Can't wait for series five.;-)
  • LMLM Posts: 63,477
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Never had a problem with Sarah. I still think she may have a connection to Edna. Her first meeting with Tom seemed too set up.

I adore Rose, but think she has a short shelf life. I doubt she would of ever had existed if Sybil hadn't died and the producers were in need of another female crawley.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Never had a problem with Sarah. I still think she may have a connection to Edna. Her first meeting with Tom seemed too set up.

I adore Rose, but think she has a short shelf life. I doubt she would of ever had existed if Sybil hadn't died and the producers were in need of another female crawley.

I actually like Rose, but I'm disappointed what JF did with her so far.

I expected JF would have her doing wild things in season 4 and she did, but I thought she would at least show a bit character growth towards the end. Sadly she remained exactly the same and didn't mature one bit.

I hope JF will let her have a wake up call in the next season and give her more depth. It was fun to watch her go to the thé dansant with the gardener and it was fun to have her bringt a black jazz singer to the house, but it would be nice if JF would show us other sides of her, too. Not just the party-girl.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She's adorable! I hope they'll curl her hair though.
  • ZipgoesamillionZipgoesamillion Posts: 1,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Here is a link to a short video that DS has appeared in. It's one of a number that have been made about a Brooklyn weed dealer. It's quite amusing, as are some of the others in the series. It was probably a one or two day shoot close to where he presently lives, in between jobs.

It's approximately 13 mins in length: http://vimeo.com/90011431
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another fun little quiz, this time courtesy of the Radio Times. I came out as Anna, which is so not me!!

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2014-04-01/which-downton-abbey-character-are-you
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    An article in today's Standard tells how Lady Rosamund (Samantha Bond) manages both stage in the evenings and filming at Highclere during the day:

http://standardonline.newspaperdirect.com/epaper/viewer.aspx
  • RyJaRyJa Posts: 900
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A new quiz on PBS - What job is right for you! I ended up as Isobel?

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/quizzes/personality-quiz/which-downton-abbey-job-is-right-for-you/

I got Daisy - that's just about right I think!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    An article in today's Standard tells how Lady Rosamund (Samantha Bond) manages both stage in the evenings and filming at Highclere during the day:

http://standardonline.newspaperdirect.com/epaper/viewer.aspx

Edit: In case the above link doesn't work here is another:

http://www.standard.co.uk/showbiz/samantha-bonds-mission-filming-downton-by-day-starring-in-west-end-at-night-9235739.html
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was just wondering if anyone is still alive on this site? LOL I know there's been a dearth of spoilers for S5 so not a lot to talk about. However, here is a little bit of news, following on earlier pics of a village school scene.

A number of children who attend The Hastings Stage School have parts in the forth coming series, some as children attending the school and two as choir boys appearing with Maggie Smith. Presumably some form of church service.

http://www.hastingsobserver.co.uk/news/local/youngsters-land-roles-in-hit-series-downton-abbey-1-5995447
  • LadyOfShalottLadyOfShalott Posts: 3,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was just wondering if anyone is still alive on this site? LOL I know there's been a dearth of spoilers for S5 so not a lot to talk about. However, here is a little bit of news, following on earlier pics of a village school scene.
    ]

But isn't it nicer to find out what happens when you watch, especially when there are big storylines?

Just stopping by with a little info on three Downton books scheduled for publication in the UK this autumn (I'm not sure how much is out there).

There's A Year in the Life of Downton Abbey by Jessica Fellowes (that's a year in the estate's life, not the television programme's life), and The Downtown Abbey Rules for Household Staff, which is all about the life and work of the downstairs crew.

And there's the series 3 scriptbook also scheduled for late autumn.
  • Swanandduck2Swanandduck2 Posts: 5,502
    Forum Member

A number of children who attend The Hastings Stage School have parts in the forth coming series, some as children attending the school and two as choir boys appearing with Maggie Smith. Presumably some form of church service.

http://www.hastingsobserver.co.uk/news/local/youngsters-land-roles-in-hit-series-downton-abbey-1-5995447

So the village school is going to feature? I wonder will the schoolteacher (can't remember her name) play a bigger part in this series?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But isn't it nicer to find out what happens when you watch, especially when there are big storylines?

Just stopping by with a little info on three Downton books scheduled for publication in the UK this autumn (I'm not sure how much is out there).

There's A Year in the Life of Downton Abbey by Jessica Fellowes (that's a year in the estate's life, not the television programme's life), and The Downtown Abbey Rules for Household Staff, which is all about the life and work of the downstairs crew.

And there's the series 3 scriptbook also scheduled for late autumn.

Good to see you back. Yes spoilers can get in the way of enjoyment I suppose. Personally I don't mind them and if a main character is leaving it sort of prepares you for there departure even if you don't know how they will exit. When Barbara Eaton of PBS mentioned there would be a birth and two deaths in S3 I guessed DS would be one, in view of all the speculation that had been going on for months but wasn't quite so sure about the other. The only disadvantage from my point of view is I spent the last 20 minutes or so of the S3 CS waiting for him to die and commenting so to my husband through out.:(

They probably felt after the "deluge of grief / anger" (twitter went berserk) that hit them after the S3 CS they needed to release pics early last year to keep viewers interest. As it turned out the viewing figures were even better for S4 so I guess this year they feel little need to leak pics.

It will be interesting in the S3 script books to see what comments JF makes about the three characters who left and their characters exits. I rather guessed after the delay to the release of the S2 scripts that S3 would come a year after to co-inside with S5. I've got the other books so may take a look at Jessica Fellowes book later.

A villager in Bampton tweeted a month or so ago they were due to film there during April. If they've filmed already villagers and even visitors have kept very quiet. Our best chance of pics is really Bampton or the location shoots. We've already had Mary and Tony outside a hotel which is supposed to be set in Liverpool. If I speculate as to their story lines I'm almost certain to be wrong. However, it's nice to speculate.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So the village school is going to feature? I wonder will the schoolteacher (can't remember her name) play a bigger part in this series?

Yes it looks like it and Miss Bunting is the teacher's name. I think she must be in the early episodes at least if not the entire series. From various boards she appears to be the least liked character and not considered the right person for Tom.:D
  • Swanandduck2Swanandduck2 Posts: 5,502
    Forum Member
    Yes it looks like it and Miss Bunting is the teacher's name. I think she must be in the early episodes at least if not the entire series. From various boards she appears to be the least liked character and not considered the right person for Tom.:D

She's very pushy but she's an interesting contrast to the other females and brings a bit of 1920s suffragette-ism into the programme. She would also drive Violet mad which could be fun. I really hope she and Tom get together, but maybe JF will decide it would be too unpopular a move.

Hey, maybe she could work on Rose and have her out marching for women's rights??
  • Janey_BeeJaney_Bee Posts: 319
    Forum Member
    I agree - it's all gone very quiet hasn't it? I even dreamt about it last night, how sad! I actually think that last year I found out too much and it did spoil it for me a bit, so I'm glad that not much info has been leaked. Still nice to see photos occasionally though!

Welcome back LoS!
  • ScoutletScoutlet Posts: 517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She's very pushy but she's an interesting contrast to the other females and brings a bit of 1920s suffragette-ism into the programme. She would also drive Violet mad which could be fun. I really hope she and Tom get together, but maybe JF will decide it would be too unpopular a move.

Hey, maybe she could work on Rose and have her out marching for women's rights??

She already has the vote at this point. Women over 30 did, and she is clearly over 30. IMO she looks 40: too old for Tom.

I have no problem with a progressive, strong type (would love it actually). But there is a difference between "strong and outspoken" and "abrasive and rude." She is the latter, not the former. She does nothing but mock him and probe him for answers.

Aside from being an independent working woman, which I respect, I don't see any redeeming features there. She has no charm or sex appeal or respect for Tom. Why should he give her the time of day when all she does is berate him?

Her behavior in the CS was ghastly. She would be an embarrassment to him and an anchor around his neck. Quite literally a "ball and chain."

He can do much, much better. This one is so far below Sybil's league it's a joke.

I agree that the "barrage of grief" on social media (for Sybil too, not just Matthew) spurred them to release info. I still wish they would do it again, though. I hate not having any spoilers. Frankly it makes me worry something horrible will happen at the start of the season, just for shock value and to keep twitter buzzing.
  • Janey_BeeJaney_Bee Posts: 319
    Forum Member
    Scoutlet wrote: »

I have no problem with a progressive, strong type (would love it actually). But there is a difference between "strong and outspoken" and "abrasive and rude." She is the latter, not the former. She does nothing but mock him and probe him for answers.

I hate not having any spoilers. Frankly it makes me worry something horrible will happen at the start of the season, just for shock value and to keep twitter buzzing.

Agree with all of your post! Sarah Bunting is a nasty little shrew, and if JF puts her with Tom it will be the biggest mistake he's ever made. And I'm not a huge Tom fan.

Re your second paragraph (that I quoted), there is supposed to be something dramatic in the first episode isn't there? According to Allen Leech who said he was 'saddened' by it and that it continues into ep 2.

I can't believe it's still 5 months away yet! I hope that it's better than series 4 - although there were some good little bits, there was too much repetition of storylines (Tom & Edna, downstairs love quadrangle) that it felt like it was written by a fanfic writer.

And more Thomas, please!! (S3 Thomas, not that weird imposter that was shoehorned into S4). I know I'm in the minority there though! :)
  • Tangledweb7Tangledweb7 Posts: 3,890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Any spoilers yet love spoilers.;-)
  • J-StarJ-Star Posts: 220
    Forum Member
    I'm hoping the Christmas special this year is actually set at Christmas and not in the height of summer.
    Other hopes:
    Anna and Bates have a happy storyline (was also miffed that Mr green got bumped off without us getting to see him suffer)
    Thomas has more storylines other than being menacing for no good reason
    Edith gets back her baby
    Mary actually makes a decision about something