iplayer on itouch?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,306
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hiya
is it possable to wathch the iplayer on the touch, as I have read that you can, but when i try and watch them it says they are unavailable and wont let me watch them and i have tried loads of different programmes on the iplayer and it says it for all of them
do i have to do something to get it to work first?
thanks for any help, i only got it for xmas so still figuring out how to do things and put things on it :)

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,928
    Forum Member
    Samantha M wrote: »
    Hiya
    is it possable to wathch the iplayer on the touch

yes it is.

just went to the site and tried about six on my iphone; all say unavailable or just don't play:confused:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    oh ok, so on a "normal day" they should work ok? I dont need to do anything to it, just go on the website as if i would if i was on a laptop?

thanks for your help :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 211
    Forum Member
    I use Tioti TV+ which gives me listings of what's on. If something there is available on iplayer you just click on it and it just goes straight to the video and plays it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 51
    Forum Member
    iplayer is only available via WiFi connection to the itouch.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    iplayer is only available via WiFi connection to the itouch.

As opposed to?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 103
    Forum Member
    Workinf fine for me at the moment.
    Watching top gear from last night
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    thanks it is working for me now :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 27
    Forum Member
    Iplayer no longer working for iPhone. Anyone know what's going on?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,029
    Forum Member
    I tried to watch Eastenders on iTouch on Boxing day and it didn't work, but now it does. My guess is that, as it is clearly still in beta for portable devices, things go wrong every now and then. I am also guessing that the full version resolves all these random issues whenever it is released.

As of right now, it's working fine for me.
  • TomDaOneTomDaOne Posts: 11,541
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The iplayer on the touch gives you a brilliant picture and when your fully engrossed in watching something you forget about it being on such a small screen.
  • MTUK1MTUK1 Posts: 20,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There are 3 posts on this thread referring to an Itouch! There is no such thing. It is an Ipod Touch.
  • andyhargreavesandyhargreaves Posts: 531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    +1, what he said ^^ - iPod Touch

FWIW it's working fine now on my iPhone.

Andy
    Forum Member
    MTUK1 wrote: »
    There are 3 posts on this thread referring to an Itouch! There is no such thing. It is an Ipod Touch.

yes, everyone calling it itouch does irritate me a bit!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 486
    Forum Member
    yes, everyone calling it itouch does irritate me a bit!

Me too, and don't get me started on the near constant incorrect capitalisation of the words iPhone, iPod and iTunes around here either.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,389
    Forum Member
    I wonder if the service will ever come out of beta, I mean, do the BBC really think it's worth it, I'd love to see some stats.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 23
    Forum Member
    Having the iPlayer on my iPhone is good for me if I don't want to turn the computer or laptop on constantly.

My past experience with the iPlayer on the iPhone has been a bit miss and match. Some programs work perfectly but then there are those that fail to work at all.

In the past I have turned of the iPhone and then revisited safari and it has worked.

It may still be in Beta stages but I still think there are a few bugs and errors to iron out before making it "live".
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6
    Forum Member
    Most shows appear fine for me, but a few like the Doctor Who Christmas Special come up as unavailable when they're fine on the PC and PS3 :confused:
    Must be something wrong with their quicktime feed (either that or some weird licensing issue)
    Forum Member
    brobinso wrote: »
    Most shows appear fine for me, but a few like the Doctor Who Christmas Special come up as unavailable when they're fine on the PC and PS3 :confused:
    Must be something wrong with their quicktime feed (either that or some weird licensing issue)

they're encoded differently for iphone/ipod though.
  • simon olivesimon olive Posts: 783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    KAC wrote: »
    Me too, and don't get me started on the near constant incorrect capitalisation of the words iPhone, iPod and iTunes around here either.

How sad.
  • andybno1andybno1 Posts: 6,142
    Forum Member
    MTUK1 wrote: »
    There are 3 posts on this thread referring to an Itouch! There is no such thing.

actually there is lol looks like a cheap smaller ripoff aswell
    http://en.pasen.it/product_detail.php?id=23

I think the one thing missing from iPlayer is a download feature, that would be a nice addon for the touch/iPhone
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 486
    Forum Member
    How sad.

Happy New Year...
  • Mystic EddyMystic Eddy Posts: 3,987
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    andybno1 wrote: »
    actually there is lol looks like a cheap smaller ripoff aswell
    http://en.pasen.it/product_detail.php?id=23

I think the one thing missing from iPlayer is a download feature, that would be a nice addon for the touch/iPhone
    I've read on the BBC blog that a download feature couldn't be implemented because the file would need to have DRM applied. This would mean Apple would have to release their Fairplay DRM system for the Beeb to use, which is doubtful.
  • simon olivesimon olive Posts: 783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    KAC wrote: »
    Happy New Year...

It is a bit sad if things like that irritate you.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,389
    Forum Member
    I've never really understood the point of DRM, especially not on services such as iPlayer.

My Nan has a BBC Programme (Eastenders) recorded on Video Tape from 2004, and we could still watch it today, as many times as we want.

So, why should we be limited to time when downloading from the iPlayer?
  • TomDaOneTomDaOne Posts: 11,541
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi, I've just been watching the 39 steps on the iplayer on my touch. About half way through the picture flickered and then the screen went green. After that I couldn't do anything, so I cancelled and decided to start over. So it says loading movie and then comes up with a message saying this movie can not be played.

Does anyone know what the problem might be? Any help is appreciated.

Actually it's working again now, would still be interested to know what causes the green screen, thanks.