Options

Simons comments on Mary..

124»

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,544
    Forum Member
    Satnavvy wrote: »
    To be fair, Simon Cowell probably dislikes all the contestants and sees them only as cash cows. He has no interest in music or musical ability. His only focus will be to secure a win for the contestant(s) most likely to get him a quick return (and also to ensure a Cheryl win)

i agree
  • Options
    grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,695
    Forum Member
    Mary has a very good voice, but I agree she can't do the same thing all the time (she isnt the only contestant guilty of this, mind). Look at Cher, who has part rapped all her songs, OD, who have done the same kind of performance.
  • Options
    EurostarEurostar Posts: 78,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have to say I agree with that although I think mary has a fabulous voice

however Simon's hypocricy in singling her out as doing the same thing every week is shameless and totally unfair

How about cher managing to not rap her way through a performance and how 1 direction actually singing a song relevent to the theme for the week

Also,Week 3 was very early to be going on about lack of versatility.It might have been understandable at week 5 or 6,but to have a dig at her so early in the competition was a cheap shot from Cowell.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I agree with you Eurostar.
  • Options
    Sorcha_27Sorcha_27 Posts: 138,869
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Eurostar wrote: »
    Also,Week 3 was very early to be going on about lack of versatility.It might have been understandable at week 5 or 6,but to have a dig at her so early in the competition was a cheap shot from Cowell.

totally agree and if someone says the same thing to cher, which I hope happens, they will be taken out instantly
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 346
    Forum Member
    Woowho wrote: »
    It's not primarily a case of Mary even being a one-trick pony - it's that she's as bloody bland as wallpaper paste. She just shouts. No rcontrol or subtly to what she sings. She has no originality to her. A two a penny Cruise ship singer.

Exactly. And that is the difference between Susan Boyle and Mary Byrne. Susan has power when she wants to, but she can do nuance and soul. As Streisand said, "she is a poet singing". The only thing Mary shares with Susan is middle age.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Why was it very early? She was already repeating a song and in the previous 2 weeks her performances had practically been Xeroxed down to the ridiculously over the top audience reaction.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,352
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    trennie wrote: »
    Exactly. And that is the difference between Susan Boyle and Mary Byrne. Susan has power when she wants to, but she can do nuance and soul. As Streisand said, "she is a poet singing". The only thing Mary shares with Susan is middle age.

Susan has a fanatstic voice - and look at how she took something like WILD HORSES and made it her own!! That's what Mary has to do.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Susan's version of Wild Horses was really nice. I didnt know the Stone's version so thought it was from a West End show or something! ;) It had been reworked in that style.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,509
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    totally agree and if someone says the same thing to cher, which I hope happens, they will be taken out instantly

Yeah- it is too early in week 3 for this comment to be fair and it would really have only made sense if he was also saying it to Rebecca and Cher- looking at this week- not sure what to think:confused:

Wagner : O Fortuna/Bat out of Hell.
    Mary : Could it be magic.
    One Direction : Total Eclipse of the heart.:confused:
    Belle Ami : Venus
    Aiden : Thriller
    Matt: Bleeding Love
    Paije : Back to Black
    TreyC : Relight my fire
    Cher : Stay :eek:
    Katie : Bewitched
    Rebecca : Wicked Game

If true, this is a much better song choice for Rebecca than another Nina Simone song and should see her safely through:) (not that she was in danger)

that said I am frustrated by the boring choices given to Mary, Paije and TreyC- which I assume is a deliberate decision by Simon-

If Mary can pull it off and sing well in spite of the song she's been lumbered with she should go through

presume Cher's song will be have to heavily re worked and will emphasies Siobhan's part cause the only way she'd hit those high notes at the end is by standing on top of the sheet music:eek: seems a bizarre choice

Matt choice is a bit :sleep:- but I am sure he will pull it off anyway- unlike Cher he really could sing the phonebook
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,352
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    grimtales1 wrote: »
    Susan's version of Wild Horses was really nice. I didnt know the Stone's version so thought it was from a West End show or something! ;) It had been reworked in that style.

It's like when people that try and say Rebecca is singing the same thing - CLEARLY haven't listened to the original versions. She updates them in her own way. The likes of Mary do not put their stamp them at all. Like when Matt took the Britney song and made it his own (although arguably it was essentially the same thing as the Travis cover).