Options

Passport Renewal

Tori's SoapboxTori's Soapbox Posts: 4,567
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I need to send my expired 10 year passport in for renewal with a name change (have the documentation) - need it done in just under 7 weeks however I've read in places that they are planning to carry out interviews for passport renewals!

Does anyone know if they have started this yet? I'm just worried it'll delay my passport renewal :eek:

Comments

• Options
    Christian_GreyChristian_Grey Posts: 1,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I need to send my expired 10 year passport in for renewal with a name change (have the documentation) - need it done in just under 7 weeks however I've read in places that they are planning to carry out interviews for passport renewals!

Does anyone know if they have started this yet? I'm just worried it'll delay my passport renewal :eek:

I had to send my passport off for a bog standard renewal a couple of months ago and that took nearly 4 weeks, I think youre cutting it fine to be brutally honest. Do they not have a number you can call for advice on the quickest way to do it?
  • Options
    CruachanCruachan Posts: 7,211
    Forum Member
    Quick response without any research - I believe that the mandatory interviews are for new passport applicants, not for renewals. But best check the "passport agency" website for the current position.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had to send my passport off for a bog standard renewal a couple of months ago and that took nearly 4 weeks, I think youre cutting it fine to be brutally honest. Do they not have a number you can call for advice on the quickest way to do it?

Yes, - I wasn't expecting to need to use a passport this year until a last minute opportunity to travel occured this week :)
    Cruachan wrote: »
    Quick response without any research - I believe that the mandatory interviews are for new passport applicants, not for renewals. But best check the "passport agency" website for the current position.

I've had a look at the website and as you say, it does seem to infer, it is for new passport apps.

Just concerned as I've read in a couple of forums / places that interviews may be required for renewals

I'll call them tomorrow
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think you need and interview. Can you not visit a passport office for the quick service.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    woodbush wrote: »
    I don't think you need and interview. Can you not visit a passport office for the quick service.

I'm going to give them a call tomorrow but I think that will possibly be the way forward :)
  • Options
    ianxianx Posts: 9,190
    Forum Member
    For another data point....

I renewed mine at Easter, which is supposedly their busy time.. I sent it off (via the Post Office checking service) on the day before Good Friday and the new one was delivered to my door the following Saturday.

I think it can just be the luck of the draw.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ianx wrote: »
    For another data point....

I renewed mine at Easter, which is supposedly their busy time.. I sent it off (via the Post Office checking service) on the day before Good Friday and the new one was delivered to my door the following Saturday.

I think it can just be the luck of the draw.

It's not something to chance if you need to travel urgently.
  • Options
    michaelalanrmichaelalanr Posts: 862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I renewed my passport by post about 2 months ago, you don't need an interview. You only need an interview for 1st time applications.

But be warned! They now send your passport out via a secure courier and if you miss it, you can rearrange for free but they can only give you an all day appointment. If you want an morning or afternoon appointment they charge extra. So it may well be worth getting the post office check and send, as they will send the passport back there for your collection. (i didn't do this as it was a straight forward renewal).

MichaelAlanR :)
  • Options
    davidmcndavidmcn Posts: 12,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They now send your passport out via a secure courier and if you miss it, you can rearrange for free but they can only give you an all day appointment. If you want an morning or afternoon appointment they charge extra.

Unless they've changed things, they don't need a signature for the delivery - so I don't think the timing matters unless you're dashing to the airport as soon as you get the passport (or you don't trust whoever you share your letterbox with!).
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,479
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    interviews are for first time passport applicants
  • Options
    kikifikikifi Posts: 326
    Forum Member
    I just renewed my passport. I did the post office check and send service which is normally 10 days but they said would be 3 weeks as it's high peak. I got it exactly 3 weeks afterwards. I'd imagine its not as busy now the summer is over.

I highly recommend the check and send service as its worth the £9 to know everything is ok. Especially now there are so many rules for the passport photo alone.
  • Options
    michaelalanrmichaelalanr Posts: 862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    davidmcn wrote: »
    Unless they've changed things, they don't need a signature for the delivery - so I don't think the timing matters unless you're dashing to the airport as soon as you get the passport (or you don't trust whoever you share your letterbox with!).

No i had to sign for it and that was the problem, as i was at work, there was no one in to sign, and they would not redirect it to my works address. Had to take a Friday afternoon off and re-arrange delivery and wait in!

MichaelAlanR :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 421
    Forum Member
    kikifi wrote: »
    I just renewed my passport. I did the post office check and send service which is normally 10 days but they said would be 3 weeks as it's high peak. I got it exactly 3 weeks afterwards. I'd imagine its not as busy now the summer is over.

I highly recommend the check and send service as its worth the £9 to know everything is ok. Especially now there are so many rules for the passport photo alone.

Check and send is a waste of money - fill out the application online https://passports.ips.gov.uk/epa1r1a/index.aspx?c=1. You answer the questions they give you so only relevant ones are asked. They send it to you to sign you pop it back in post with supporting documents and photo's (got to a max spielmann or equvilent to get them taken) and send it off just for the price of postage. Just done my daughters total turn around from starting the applcation to passport in my hand 12days and £9 saved!.
  • Options
    mourinhosmissusmourinhosmissus Posts: 5,593
    Forum Member

I've just renewed my passport and had it delivered just over a week ago and I had to sign for it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I've just renewed my passport and had it delivered just over a week ago and I had to sign for it.

I did not sign for mine, website says normally no signature required only certain areas.

"DX Secure will not normally need a signature. Their courier will take a photo of the property where the passport was delivered and record the details of the delivery. However, in some areas, you’ll need to sign for your passport. "
  • Options
    davidmcndavidmcn Posts: 12,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Irvine wrote: »
    I did sign for mine, website says normally no signature required only certain areas.

"DX Secure will not normally need a signature. Their courier will take a photo of the property where the passport was delivered and record the details of the delivery. However, in some areas, you’ll need to sign for your passport. "

Ah well, they must have a list of dodgy postcodes :D

Mine was just put through the door while I was out.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you everyone for your help :)

I also phoned the passport office today and they said they are currently getting renewals out within 4 weeks.

I mentioned going fast-track but they said if I send it now it should be ok :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you everyone for your help :)

I also phoned the passport office today and they said they are currently getting renewals out within 4 weeks.

I mentioned going fast-track but they said if I send it now it should be ok :)

Photocopy everything before you send it off, better being safe than sorry.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 502
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    woodbush wrote: »
    Photocopy everything before you send it off, better being safe than sorry.

ALWAYS copy important documents.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,693
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Somewhat off topic but the government seem to be getting their act together. I applied online on a Saturday for a replacement driving licence and it arrived on the Tuesday. Three days and it was delivered 2nd class. I was amazed.

The message here, have some faith that they can get their act together sometimes.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ah well, they must have a list of dodgy postcodes :D

Mine was just put through the door while I was out.

I doubt that's the reason, my friend lives in chiswick and he had to sign for his. There's probably no particular rhyme or reason for it, much like what most government organisations do, they just make it up as they go along.
  • Options
    InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I doubt that's the reason, my friend lives in chiswick and he had to sign for his.

Maybe because Chiswick has (or had) a very bad reputation for post going missing. I live there and had problems with birthday cards that were never delivered, presumably because someone within the Royal Mail intercepted them and stole the money.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 502
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bi differerence between one postie stealing stuff and an entire area having a reputation of dishonesty.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Inkblot wrote: »
    Maybe because Chiswick has (or had) a very bad reputation for post going missing. I live there and had problems with birthday cards that were never delivered, presumably because someone within the Royal Mail intercepted them and stole the money.

Passports don't come via the royal mail
  • Options
    soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Somewhat off topic but the government seem to be getting their act together. I applied online on a Saturday for a replacement driving licence and it arrived on the Tuesday. Three days and it was delivered 2nd class. I was amazed.

The message here, have some faith that they can get their act together sometimes.
    I've done a passport renewal and driving licence address change recently and both were very quick.