Channel 4 15,000 Kids and Counting

Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
Forum Member
Started at 21:00, couldn't see a thread.
15,000 Kids and Counting

On average, one child is taken into care every 20 minutes in Britain. This series has unparalleled access to the entire adoption process, from social workers to birth parents and adopters.

Child protection levels in Britain are at a record high. Over 15,000 children were waiting to be adopted in 2013 - twice as many as five years earlier.

With unparalleled access to the entire adoption process, this series follows social workers, foster carers, birth parents and adopters as heart-wrenchingly difficult decisions are made about the future of some of Britain's most vulnerable children.

Episode 1 - The Decision
The adoption process begins with the most difficult decision of all: the decision to remove a child from their birth family.

Comments

• XassyXassy Posts: 9,365
    Forum Member
    Watching with interest.
  • Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    If it's anything like Ch4's last adoption program, I can remember, a fair bit of factual info won't be covered.
    Someone who knows a bit about the system will probably fill in the blanks on here.

I'll catch +1 later.
    Probably won't contribute to the thread mind.
  • myssmyss Posts: 16,497
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Watching with a little despair! The 18yo who was being supervised - her 'partner' seems oblivious as to why the child was taken. Trying to keep an open mind, but admittedly rolled eyes when the social worker revealed how he had bombarded her with 1000's of rude texts. That's not going to do him any good is it?!!
  • InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is depressing. :(
  • hansuehansue Posts: 14,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    myss wrote: »
    Watching with a little despair! The 18yo who was being supervised - her 'partner' seems oblivious as to why the child was taken. Trying to keep an open mind, but admittedly rolled eyes when the social worker revealed how he had bombarded her with 1000's of rude texts. That's not going to do him any good is it?!!

he really hasnt a clue. Who would leave a baby with him.
  • Mrs TeapotMrs Teapot Posts: 124,896
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Makings of a great father eh!
  • rockjackrockjack Posts: 13,897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can't Emily leave this guy for the sake of her child
  • XassyXassy Posts: 9,365
    Forum Member
    I missed it, is the mum (Emily) still with this horrible 'man'?
  • peach45peach45 Posts: 9,426
    Forum Member
    These parents are really not quite right. Going on about a smashed bowl in front of people who have the power to take away your child, forget it.
    Forum Member
    Xassy wrote: »
    I missed it, is the mum (Emily) still with this horrible 'man'?

Yes she is.
  • Super FrogSuper Frog Posts: 11,480
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I just tuned in and eh. What an arsehole.
  • LucylashesLucylashes Posts: 854
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Social workers often get a bad press, but good god I would hate to have to deal with pondlife like the Matthew character. Is there any wonder he's not being allowed to see his baby? The man is a lunatic and quite unable to be rational and control his emotions ...not good news to a baby.
  • Hayley_babyHayley_baby Posts: 15,825
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ive only been watching for about 10mins so this couple cant have their child because of low IQ?
    Never mind the fact that the dad clearly had anger issues.
  • InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is it just me or do some of these parents seem very passive about the whole thing as if they're discussing taking a new TV home?
  • cavallicavalli Posts: 18,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    These cranks don't deserve to have their children.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Turning up 30 mins late doesn't help you either.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    myss wrote: »
    Turning up 30 mins late doesn't help you either.

She's back on drugs by the looks of her.
  • PJ HunnybunnyPJ Hunnybunny Posts: 918
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm finding this distressing, living in my bubble I had no idea that 1 child is taken into care every 20mins. Having loved & cherished two of my own, I would now consider fostering.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wish Emily would dump that idiot. She might have stood a chance on her own.
  • Mrs TeapotMrs Teapot Posts: 124,896
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Is it just me or do some of these parents seem very passive about the whole thing as if they're discussing taking a new TV home?

No, not you at all. My friend is trying to get permanent custody of her Grandchild but at least it is family he stays with if she gets it.

Oh this is so sad :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That junkie girl couldn't even be arsed to see her son for the last time and say goodbye...poor little mite is better off without her :(
    Forum Member
    hansue wrote: »

Maybe, but with a lot of help I think. :(

This is probably the best thing for Sophie.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    peach45 wrote: »
    Maybe, but with a lot of help I think. :(

This is probably the best thing for Sophie.

I worked for Children's Services and they do try hard to support parents but some will never make it unfortunately.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    hansue wrote: »
    I reckon so too. They both seem as if they have some undiagnosed behavioral condition with Emily being much more passive than Matthew.

Blimey what a job to have. I don't think I could do it unless I can be fully honest (but not rude) with parents who are not doing their duty but think everyone else is in the wrong. Plus it would be difficult not to fall for those babies! Maybe it's because I'm a mum myself.
  • TennisFreak08TennisFreak08 Posts: 9,451
    Forum Member
    rockjack wrote: »
    Can't Emily leave this guy for the sake of her child

Trying to leave someone that controlling would put her and her baby's life in danger.

He'd be waiting for her to leave the house...or just break in!