Options

The Life and Loves of a She-Devil BBC4 Tues 21st Oct

Comments

• Options
    ilovewallanderilovewallander Posts: 42,048
    Forum Member
    The Wizard wrote: »
    I caught an episode of this around a friends house. It's one of those times in my life I remember what I was doing at the time.

We'd met up down a local pub where we used to go and pump quid after quid into a pinball machine. Then we went back to my mate's sister's flat and her fella introduced me to the album Full Moon Fever by Tom Petty and She Devil was on in the background.

I remember being mesmerised by it and found it strangely erotic as well as creepy. I had a thing for older women when I was younger and remember finding Julie T Wallace strangely seductive even though she was quite butch and unattractive as an 18 year old lad with raging hormones this was proper sexy stuff. Now every time I hear Tom Petty or someone talks about She Devil I think vividly of that night we went out and ended up at my mate's sisters flat. It was one of those memories I'll never forget.

I never did get to see the whole series. Thanks for the heads up. Will look forward to seeing it after all these years.

I wonder if you'll find Julie T Wallace strangely seductive and sexy this time ;):)
  • Options
    alcockellalcockell Posts: 25,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They're the only bits that anyone remembers from the The Singing Detective! :D
    Hale and Pace spoofed that (the greasing scenes) VERY effectively. IRC, the voiceover covered how they had to frequently retake.
  • Options
    The WizardThe Wizard Posts: 11,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wonder if you'll find Julie T Wallace strangely seductive and sexy this time ;):)

Well from the image I just Googled she looks like an inmate from Wentworth so possibly not but when I was 18 I pretty much fancied anything with a pair of breasts.
  • Options
    LillithLillith Posts: 946
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Didn't Julie T Wallace turn up in The Last of the Summer Wine? I think she was Compo's long lost son's girlfriend.
  • Options
    Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    I remember this. Very creepy if I recall.

Thanks for the info ... I shall make sure I record it. :)

Yes very creepy, must have made some impression, I was probably a teenager when it first aired, so must have had 'something' to keep my attention, probably didn't 'get' all of it at the time either.

Kinda always wondered why Julie Wallace wasn't around more on TV afterwards.
  • Options
    Smiley433Smiley433 Posts: 7,898
    Forum Member
    Kinda always wondered why Julie Wallace wasn't around more on TV afterwards.

Only time I remember seeing her was in a Bond movie (Living Daylights) but looking at her Wikipedia entry, she seems to have had regular TV roles over the years.
  • Options
    0...00...0 Posts: 21,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh God, this traumatised me when I was a kid. I was mucking about with the telly and I remember Dr Who flashing his bum while writhing with an evil big devil woman. I can still remember turning the telly off in disgust and shock! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Centaurion wrote: »
    Nudity mentioned , Pat Hodge ?

Hopefully NOT Liz Smith.

Tom Baker. :(
  • Options
    Shazla09Shazla09 Posts: 29,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    0...0 wrote: »
    Tom Baker. :(

Pah!! I just ate some risotto!! Vomit icon please?

I was seriously scared first time round when I was a teenager.
  • Options
    China GirlChina Girl Posts: 2,755
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember watching this.
    I might watch it again. I don't like that weird theme song though.
  • Options
    TellystarTellystar Posts: 12,253
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What was the name of that theme song?
  • Options
    spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yes indeed. well worth watching. the actress deliberately looks "not attractive" and its a crittique of all sorts of social attitudes ..... in a well told story.

dennis potter covered the same territory but from other end, in Blackeyes.

the same social attitudes still apply ! susan boyles physical appearence was much criticised, and more recently mary beard ......
  • Options
    BritFlicks1BritFlicks1 Posts: 631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have never seen this but have heard of it by reputation. Thanks for letting me know it's on.
  • Options
    daveyfsdaveyfs Posts: 1,470
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't quite know what to say :o:confused: Not obvious w@nk material I'd say, but your mate obviously got turned on by she-devils :D
    Despite the wart I thought the character was really sexy.... and then I realised she was a woman. Certainly more manly than the Dennis Waterman character with the dodgy tache and big bins who was meant to be a smooth sexy lothario.... but I guess that was what got the bunny out of the hat in the 80s.... :(

Really looking forward to watching this again!
  • Options
    The WizardThe Wizard Posts: 11,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    daveyfs wrote: »
    Despite the wart I thought the character was really sexy.... and then I realised she was a woman. Certainly more manly than the Dennis Waterman character with the dodgy tache and big bins who was meant to be a smooth sexy lothario.... but I guess that was what got the bunny out of the hat in the 80s.... :(

Really looking forward to watching this again!

It was the first time as a young lad I saw what a real woman looked like and I kind of had a bit of a dominatrix fantasy about her even though she was a bit of a hag. I can't explain what it was about her I found sexy because she was quite butch and ugly.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sw2963 wrote: »
    Pah!! I just ate some risotto!! Vomit icon please?

I was seriously scared first time round when I was a teenager.

:D It was horrible. I'm surprised how vivid the image is still in my memory. :o
  • Options
    Pink KnightPink Knight Posts: 24,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have the DVD, think the UK one has been deleted. Although its available in Holland.

Always hoped Spinechillers would turn up on DVD. Think that was on BBC 3. That has an episode with Julie T Wallace in it.
  • Options
    ilovewallanderilovewallander Posts: 42,048
    Forum Member
    I only saw that on repeat because Mary Whitehouse complained about it so much. Mary was great at finding the dirty bits for us. I miss her a lot. :D

:D:D:D You've got to look for your own dirty bits nowadays
  • Options
    GroutyGrouty Posts: 34,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alcockell wrote: »
    Hale and Pace spoofed that (the greasing scenes) VERY effectively. IRC, the voiceover covered how they had to frequently retake.

I remember that, when being greased, wasn't he going, think of something boring, Arsenal, Arsenal..... :D
  • Options
    mike65mike65 Posts: 11,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I remember this from the first time, I suspect it'll look a bit clunky, "filmed" on VT if I recall but I'm taping it.
  • Options
    alcockellalcockell Posts: 25,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On air now
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Even taking into account the fashion aberration which was the 1980s I can't understand how the Bobbo character could ever have been mistaken for the stud he's being portrayed as.

The waiter was fit though, and Julie T Wallace is fab :)
  • Options
    RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    I think I'm enjoying this as much as the first original time that it was on!
  • Options
    cavallicavalli Posts: 18,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bloody cracking stuff! :D

Ms Fisher was nowt to write home about in my book, apart from her swanky lighthouse and sexay manservant :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The kids were annoying as hell and totally unconvincing.

Really enjoying it, dated though some bits are by now.