Charli XCX Appreciation Thread

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 464
Forum Member
Having read Digital Spy's ones to watch list 2012, I was very intrigued by the second artist on the list. I have since bought a few of her songs and I LOVE THEM! I love the whole 80s, synthy dark pop vibe. Think Depeche Mode's Black Celebration, think La Roux but darker.

Here's her only music video so far, Nuclear Seasons and also a track that I adore, Stay Away! Both songs are just so fabulous in my opinion, really emotional stuff.

Anyways, any other fans?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 464
    Forum Member
    I guess I'm the only one... so far! :D
  • Hav_mor91Hav_mor91 Posts: 17,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just recently got into her music I spoitfied True romance about a year ago but what with Fancy and Boom clap had a little revisit and bought the album.

So glad I did an album that rally is a journey through different sounds and aspects of Romance.

Anyone else excited for Sucker?
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Here's her only music video so far

.. not quite :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_5b5BLT1CM

This is about the time I discovered her .. then there's this ..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7cOt-xFU8Y
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Plus there was the album she made 14 prior to relasing TR though it was never commercially releasd and she ahs sice denounced it ;p
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    I love her! True Romance is a brilliant album. I really liked SuperLove and Boom Clap as well.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Superlove is such a great song I love it :).
  • mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,998
    Forum Member
    I saw her support Paramore on their 2013 your. She's not bad. I don't like Fancy at all but I did buy True Romance.

I have only listened to it a couple of times though.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah I'd like to see her live. She recorded a punk record in between TR and her new album sucker. It was a vanity project though and don't think it will bd released :)
    Forum Member
    Hav_mor91 wrote: »
    Yeah I'd like to see her live. She recorded a punk record in between TR and her new album sucker. It was a vanity project though and don't think it will bd released :)

Is it anywhere on the 'net?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There's one song on Soundcloud not sure if theres anymore anywhere else :)
  • BadKid95BadKid95 Posts: 7,137
    Forum Member
    She's brilliant, True Romance is such an underrated pop album, I remember PopJustice made it their #1 album of last year which caused some to scratch their heads in confusion. Take My Hand and Nuclear Seasons are perhaps my favourite two songs from the album. Also I second the love for SuperLove/Boom Clap.

Break the Rules has proven to be a grower for me, I believe the video is out sometime soon?
    Forum Member
    I'm going to add "True Romance" to my car soon. I need to update the CDs in my car. I've had the same ones for ages.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    True romance is a brilliant debut moments of pure brilliance very Britney blackout era. There some lesser moments but overall an accomplished debut well thought outraged executed.

Sucker looks to be more punkish proving her versatility and talent.

Sbd it is great driving music CNBC :p
  • Multimedia81Multimedia81 Posts: 83,345
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Charli XCX will be on Never Mind the Buzzcocks tomorrow, whih should be enjoyable.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know I'm looking forward to it. Gutted Sucker has been pushed back in the UK though wanted it in my stocking 😝.
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    It puzzles me why Sucker is going to be released in the US first. Surely it should be released in the UK/Ireland first considering Charli's a British act? Shame really as I was looking forward to it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thinks as she has had the #1 with Fancy over there they are capitalising on that. And anyway the UK always had to wait anyway :).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 966
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fkt91iye4c

Well, this thread is a bit dead.....
  • Gigi4Gigi4 Posts: 3,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fkt91iye4c

Well, this thread is a bit dead.....

The video's really fun. I like it a lot. The song reminds me of some stuff by Avril Lavigne who everyone makes fun of but who I really like. But for some reason Charli gets a lot more respect than Avril does. It's a fun song, but I don't know I want something more. It's kind of superficial, but I do enjoy it.
    I read her new album is going to have more guitar based rock/punk leaning stuff and less electro pop.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Having listened to a lot of songs from Sucker I have to say I am in love. The sound seems more her it's brass, in your face, and super catchy if only people would listen it has the makings of a generation defining album. The critics have well especially stateside have applauded it immensely.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 966
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gigi4 wrote: »
    The video's really fun. I like it a lot. The song reminds me of some stuff by Avril Lavigne who everyone makes fun of but who I really like. But for some reason Charli gets a lot more respect than Avril does. It's a fun song, but I don't know I want something more. It's kind of superficial, but I do enjoy it.
    I read her new album is going to have more guitar based rock/punk leaning stuff and less electro pop.

I kind of like that Charli's music is more fun than deep, and I think Avril loses respect because she hasn't evolved into a much more mature sound/image. But I'm getting bored of waiting for this album! I really hope I just get the US version on the original release date instead of having to wait, for the sake of a Rita Ora feature >:( I don't know what Amazon does about this sort of thing.