anonymous... acted as enabler to isis

David_Flanagan1David_Flanagan1 Posts: 303
Forum Member
Remember back in the days of the "peaceful" arab spring, anonymous enabled the use of social media in Syria Egypt etc. Looking back its not worked out so good. A poorly calculated move?

Comments

• TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And here I thought the Internet infrastructure and social media companies enabled the use of social media.

You learn something new every day.
  • Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    I can think of 2 specific members who will, no doubt, be along shortly to tell you, in no uncertain terms, what a marvellous thing "anonymous" actually is.
  • David_Flanagan1David_Flanagan1 Posts: 303
    Forum Member
    And here I thought the Internet infrastructure and social media companies enabled the use of social media.

You learn something new every day.

SN were largely shut down or surveiled during the AS. Anonymous circumvented this.
  • JackKlugmanJackKlugman Posts: 5,362
    Forum Member
    Remember back in the days of the "peaceful" arab spring, anonymous enabled the use of social media in Syria Egypt etc. Looking back its not worked out so good. A poorly calculated move?

What????

Anonymous are hacking ISIS, taking down their websites, you know the ones that our intelligence agencies claim cant be stopped.

I don't agree with everything that anonymous does, but your talking utter nonsense
    Forum Member
    What????

Anonymous are hacking ISIS, taking down their websites, you know the ones that our intelligence agencies cant be stopped.

I don't agree with everything that anonymous does, but your talking utter nonsense

I should think they have a bit of a guilty conscience playing such a central role in the setting up of the caliphate.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SN were largely shut down or surveiled during the AS. Anonymous circumvented this.

Was it Anonymous? Or was it those who developed tools like Tor?

Something tells me that Western interference in the middle east over the past 15 years has more to do with the growth of ISIS than Twitter or Facebook use does.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I should think they have a bit of a guilty conscience playing such a central role in the setting up of the caliphate.

Or Western governments for removing the dictators that kept the extremists in check?
  • The 12th DoctorThe 12th Doctor Posts: 4,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    America arms and funds the mujahideen and Osama bin Laden in the 1980s. Bin Laden uses funds to found Al-Qaeda, and later flies jetliners into the World Trade Centre. Swings and roundabouts.
  • GirthGirth Posts: 12,403
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Or Western governments for removing the dictators that kept the extremists in check?
    Or wealthy Saudis trying to appease their religious conscience by funding foreign radicals?
    Forum Member
    Was it Anonymous? Or was it those who developed tools like Tor?

Something tells me that Western interference in the middle east over the past 15 years has more to do with the growth of ISIS than Twitter or Facebook use does.

Isis didnt have a gripe with the west initially. They were brought to our attention after the yazidi slaughter and the mountain episode. Opening lines of communication for them has proven lethal. I think anonymous have alot to answer for.
  • JackKlugmanJackKlugman Posts: 5,362
    Forum Member

Indeed, blaming anonymous is a fantasy
  • The 12th DoctorThe 12th Doctor Posts: 4,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What????

Anonymous are hacking ISIS, taking down their websites, you know the ones that our intelligence agencies cant be stopped.

You're missing the point. Back in 2011 ISIS were the good guys. The Arab Spring was a prime example of why taking sides in a conflict can come back to bite you in the arse
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Isis didnt have a gripe with the west initially. They were brought to our attention after the yazidi slaughter and the mountain episode. Opening lines of communication for them has proven lethal. I think anonymous have alot to answer for.

Blair and Bush have a helluva lot more to answer for.

To blame Anonymous for giving innocent people a voice that was abused by extremists is nonsense.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You're missing the point. Back in 2011 ISIS were the good guys. The Arab Spring was a prime example of why taking sides in a conflict can come back to bite you in the arse

Indeed, the US armed the Syrian rebels (as one example) many of whom were known to have ties to extremist groups.

Blair, Bush, Cameron and Obama have some serious questions to answer.
  • jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    no
    they didn't
  • The DoveThe Dove Posts: 1,221
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Si_Crewe wrote: »
    I can think of 2 specific members who will, no doubt, be along shortly to tell you, in no uncertain terms, what a marvellous thing "anonymous" actually is.

Great, I look forward to reading their posts.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Not quite. What Anonymous did was give information about how to evade blocks on internet access and help provide proxies. The atrocities committed by ISIS still do not negate what Assad has done.

In the meantime, OpISIS has taken down more than a thousand ISIS-owned accounts and has exposed many others as having links to the terrorist group.
  • dee123dee123 Posts: 46,265
    Forum Member
    Girth wrote: »
    Or wealthy Saudis trying to appease their religious conscience by funding foreign radicals?

Exactly. Anonymous is way down the list.
  • OxygenatedOxygenated Posts: 1,431
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    America arms and funds the mujahideen and Osama bin Laden in the 1980s. Bin Laden uses funds to found Al-Qaeda, and later flies jetliners into the World Trade Centre. Swings and roundabouts.

You are ignoring the bigger picture here.

We were living in times of the cold war, and Afghanistan was fighting the Russians.

The West was against the Russians, hence America supported the Mujahideen.

The US, however, "...deny that the CIA or other American officials had contact with the Afghan Arabs (foreign mujahideen) or Bin Laden, let alone armed, trained, coached or indoctrinated them."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CIA%E2%80%93al-Qaeda_controversy
  • OxygenatedOxygenated Posts: 1,431
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I was personally against both Iraq and Libya (like many Western people), but I could understand some of the arguments for these interventions.

However, there's nothing that can be done now, and we need to move forward.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Dove wrote: »
    Not quite. What Anonymous did was give information about how to evade blocks on internet access and help provide proxies. The atrocities committed by ISIS still do not negate what Assad has done.

In the meantime, OpISIS has taken down more than a thousand ISIS-owned accounts and has exposed many others as having links to the terrorist group.

Information that is freely available elsewhere online. If not Anonymous then the people would have gotten the info from somewhere else.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oxygenated wrote: »
    You are ignoring the bigger picture here.

We were living in times of the cold war, and Afghanistan was fighting the Russians.

The West was against the Russians, hence America supported the Mujahideen.

The US, however, "...deny that the CIA or other American officials had contact with the Afghan Arabs (foreign mujahideen) or Bin Laden, let alone armed, trained, coached or indoctrinated them."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CIA%E2%80%93al-Qaeda_controversy

They would though
  • SomnerSomner Posts: 9,412
    Forum Member

Well it's not often I agree with you (if ever), but on this I do.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Information that is freely available elsewhere online. If not Anonymous then the people would have gotten the info from somewhere else.

Yes, I know. It helps to think of Anonymous as a banner at times as opposed to an organised movement.