Options

Scientology

Comments

• Options
    bookcoverbookcover Posts: 6,216
    Forum Member
    More radical nut jobs who use fear, intimidation and fleecing people with a smiley face...to keep "faithful" followers.

Bin it.
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,272
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sickparrot wrote: »
    Marty Rathbun and Mike Rinder were very high up in the organisation and both left at more or less the same time, about the time of the original BBC documentary.

I've kept an eye on developments in Scieno land since they tried to recruit me when I was at uni in the 80's, I did the personality test but there was no way I was spending money on their books and walked out during the hard sell.

I've read many accounts of the forced labour, people trafficking, RPF, fair gaming, Lisa McPhearson.

But at the end of the day I believe the people in it are in it because they want to be in it, they aren't trapped there, they can walk out when they like and many have done. They think they are going to get money and power eventually so they stick at it despite the hardships.

The documentary I watched on YouTube had someone saying that the reason the stars don't leave is because they take a test at the beginning that makes them expose all their dirty little secrets and if they ever want to leave, they're reminded of that. They're supposedly told that their dirty secrets will be exposed and their career will be over. It basically said that that's how the head ones at the Scientology cult in America keep the film star members there.
  • Options
    Michael_EveMichael_Eve Posts: 14,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bare Faced Messiah by Russell Miller was the biography I read in the late Eighties I mentioned up thread. Found it fascinating at the time, and disturbing. It's still disturbing! And the prices they charge..no wonder they target rich celebrities and the like. Racket.

Edit: Interesting and highly plausible, Zx50.
  • Options
    shaddlershaddler Posts: 11,574
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Any religion that would have David Miscavige as its leader is best avoided.

And then there's this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hole_(Scientology)
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,272
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    dee123dee123 Posts: 46,274
    Forum Member
    Going Clear: Scientology and the Prison of Belief premieres on HBO on March 29th.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-wa7dcMMlw

I really wanna see it.
  • Options
    The DoveThe Dove Posts: 1,221
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Scientology watchers are in for a couple of treats in coming months. First will be the showing on HBO of Alex Gibney's documentary 'Going Clear' which is based on the book by Lawrence Wright. As an aside, the book hasn't been published in the UK thanks to the usual threats from the cult. From what I've heard from people who have seen it already, Tom Cruise will be facing a PR nightmare since it covers the fact his every whim is met by Sea Org members working for pennies per hour.

After that, Tony Ortega's biography of Paulette Cooper, 'The Unbreakable Miss Lovely' will be published containing the full story of Operation Freakout.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dee123 wrote: »
    Going Clear: Scientology and the Prison of Belief premieres on HBO on March 29th.

I really wanna see it.

And I forgot to add that Louis Theroux is doing his own documentary and that it's in post-production at the moment!
  • Options
    AsmoAsmo Posts: 15,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was about to mention that HBO documentary - a few online services like Vimeo have picked up the rights, and it'll doubtless be widely available 'out there' after airing.
    Apparently it includes the well aired rumour that they have 'dirt' on Travolta that may keep him in the fold.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Going_Clear:_Scientology_and_the_Prison_of_Belief_(film)

Never mind L. Ron Hubbard's pulp sci-fi and later life, look at an even earlier period - he was involved with JPL Rocket scientist John Whiteside Parsons, dabbling with him in membership of the then Aleister Crowley led O.T.O. -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Parsons_(rocket_engineer)

Hubbard was well schooled in the workings of a flim flam cult before he set up his own!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    The documentary I watched on YouTube had someone saying that the reason the stars don't leave is because they take a test at the beginning that makes them expose all their dirty little secrets and if they ever want to leave, they're reminded of that. They're supposedly told that their dirty secrets will be exposed and their career will be over. It basically said that that's how the head ones at the Scientology cult in America keep the film star members there.

It's how they keep a lot of people in check. Auditing is a sort of cross between psychotherapy and confession and everything said in those supposedly confidential sessions is recorded. I know a couple of former members who had intimate stuff posted on hate sites dedicated to them after they spoke out publicly against the cult.
  • Options
    Random42Random42 Posts: 2,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dee123 wrote: »

I really wanna see it.
    The Dove wrote: »
    Scientology watchers are in for a couple of treats in coming months. First will be the showing on HBO of Alex Gibney's documentary 'Going Clear' which is based on the book by Lawrence Wright. As an aside, the book hasn't been published in the UK thanks to the usual threats from the cult. From what I've heard from people who have seen it already, Tom Cruise will be facing a PR nightmare since it covers the fact his every whim is met by Sea Org members working for pennies per hour.

After that, Tony Ortega's biography of Paulette Cooper, 'The Unbreakable Miss Lovely' will be published containing the full story of Operation Freakout.

Both very interesting. I'll certainly be keeping an eye out for updates.

I'm not surprised they've pulled out yet more threats in order to stop the book being published here. Just another attempt in a long, long, long line of threats to silence people and intimidate them into submission.
  • Options
    rupert_pupkinrupert_pupkin Posts: 3,975
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I drove past their UK or London headquarters yesterday, Queen Victoria Street London

I wonder how many there are here?
  • Options
    dee123dee123 Posts: 46,274
    Forum Member

Yep. Apparently they wiretapped Nicole Kidman's phone and got her adopted children after a while to see her as a "Suppressive Person"

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/tom-cruise-wiretapped-nicole-kidman-767330
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And the latest stunt the cult has pulled is to get a protester in Clearwater arrested for supposedly blocking the exit of a building.

Here's video the guy took before the arrest and you can see how it would be pretty hard for one person to block the doorways.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9dRXCUCz_A

This isn't the first time Xander's been the subject of an attack. The cult knows who he is and during a previous protest one of the Scientologists made a reference to his elderly grandmother. Xander rang her and got told she'd just had a delivery man in the house leaving flowers but had no idea who sent them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I drove past their UK or London headquarters yesterday, Queen Victoria Street London

Less than two thousand.
  • Options
    jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Read a biography of L Ron Hubbard a long time ago when Scientology was starting to get known in the UK. He wasn't a very good Sci Fi writer, but he was quite the salesman/charlatan. ...........................

My recollection is the opposite : he was a very good storyteller, in the sense that you kept wanting to know what happened next, but his science was rubbish.

Rather the way Jeffrey Archer is now - god awful plotter, but a great storyteller. It's also possible he fits the salesman/charlatan description, as well. :)
  • Options
    sickparrotsickparrot Posts: 664
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

They'll all be in the basement scraping paint off of pipes.

We went on holiday to Orlando in 2008, but were flying back from Tampa on the last day so I made a special detour to see Clearwater and Fort Harrison, good times.
  • Options
    itscoldoutsideitscoldoutside Posts: 3,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Random42 wrote: »
    As I've said to you before. There seems to be a train of thought among some people of faith who are dubious of science because it changes. And as such that makes it less trustworthy. I would say the opposite. It's adapting and improving with each update as it were. Moving us on and widening our comprehension of things. Science goes where the evidence leads and will change accordingly based on it's findings. Just because it changes it doesn't necessarily mean the gaps in our knowledge should be filled in with a god(s). And even when science may be flawed it doesn't by default prove an existence of a god(s).

I notice you were quite quick to jump in and say you didn't know if Scientology was a cult. Almost as if you were going on the defensive from the start. Then went on to provide a YouTube link of John Sweeney ranting at a Scientologist, as if to say "Look! This is how people of faith get treated". Yet dismissed my suggestion that you look Scientology up on YouTube to investigate further. We're all very capable of knowing the difference between the rubbish that's gets posted on there and the real things.

I think it's fair to say that you don't know too much about Scientology and it's insidious, toxic ways. You just wanted to use it a platform as defender of the faiths without looking into it first.

Did you not see my post below?
    Im not sure its a cult.

They are nut jobs, with their spaceships and all that.

I posted the John Sweeney video because it was funny, regardless of what the subject of the video was. This thread just reminded me off it. John Sweeney's documentary also included that footage. There was no motive in posting it.

I am not saying science is wrong, many religious people do not take the bible literally. I don't see why any science has to be used by some to say there is no god.

Youtube is full of crap on everything, I am not going to pay any attention to the videos. According to Youtube, everyone in power is a lizard. There are too many nut jobs on there, unless its a documentary by an established broadcaster, which I would trust much more.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did you not see my post below?

I posted the John Sweeney video because it was funny, regardless of what the subject of the video was. This thread just reminded me off it. John Sweeney's documentary also included that footage. There was no motive in posting it.

I am not saying science is wrong, many religious people do not take the bible literally. I don't see why any science has to be used by some to say there is no god.

Youtube is full of crap on everything, I am not going to pay any attention to the videos. According to Youtube, everyone in power is a lizard. There are too many nut jobs on there, unless its a documentary by an established broadcaster, which I would trust much more.

You are able to tell the difference between something of worth and just mindless rubbish right ?

No, wait. Don't bother. I find you exhausting and willfully ignorant to debate with. If all YouTube has to offer by way of information is "everyone in power is a lizard", then fine, just fine. Have it your own way. I'm done.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And the latest stunt the cult has pulled is to get a protester in Clearwater arrested for supposedly blocking the exit of a building.

Here's video the guy took before the arrest and you can see how it would be pretty hard for one person to block the doorways.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9dRXCUCz_A

This isn't the first time Xander's been the subject of an attack. The cult knows who he is and during a previous protest one of the Scientologists made a reference to his elderly grandmother. Xander rang her and got told she'd just had a delivery man in the house leaving flowers but had no idea who sent them.

Interesting, Dove. They're obviously scared to expose their followers to anyone who's willing to try and open their eyes. Getting him arrested speaks volumes about their fear and need to control.

Scary that this mans grandmother has been brought into it. Flower deliveries from a mystery person. Extremely un-nerving . You can understand why some people would be reluctant to speak out.
  • Options
    stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Asmo wrote: »
    I was about to mention that HBO documentary - a few online services like Vimeo have picked up the rights, and it'll doubtless be widely available 'out there' after airing.
    Apparently it includes the well aired rumour that they have 'dirt' on Travolta that may keep him in the fold.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Going_Clear:_Scientology_and_the_Prison_of_Belief_(film)

Never mind L. Ron Hubbard's pulp sci-fi and later life, look at an even earlier period - he was involved with JPL Rocket scientist John Whiteside Parsons, dabbling with him in membership of the then Aleister Crowley led O.T.O. -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Parsons_(rocket_engineer)

Hubbard was well schooled in the workings of a flim flam cult before he set up his own!

Jack Parsons was a genius in many ways, but... Hubbard managed to scam him out of a lot of money AND nick his girlfriend. He was a smooth-talking charlatan even back then. "Sex And Rockets" is a great biography of JWP.
  • Options
    WolfsheadishWolfsheadish Posts: 10,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Im not sure its a cult.

I believe it's "officially" recognised as a cult. It certainly isn't a religion.
  • Options
    WolfsheadishWolfsheadish Posts: 10,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

And did they take down your licence plate number?
  • Options
    StrmChaserSteveStrmChaserSteve Posts: 2,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Im not sure its a cult.

Tom Cruise is great in movies
    I'm still amazed that he and John Travolta got sucked into the world of Scientology
  • Options
    AsarualimAsarualim Posts: 3,884
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Scientiology is a business, masquerading as a cult, masquerading as a religion. it's all about the money when it comes down to it for that lot.